Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

cams posted:

In addition to being a fantastic episode with the best "June-ism" in history

Are we referring to the "What is its mission?!" bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Are we referring to the "What is its mission?!" bit?

Overall it was a pretty mediocre episode, but this moment might be my single favorite thing from any podcast ever. I just picture the scene of Paul being so excited to have this stupid toy and June glaring at it with pure trepidation.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm kinda worried to ask this, but how long does it usually take for stuff from the Earwolf shop to ship? I ordered something over a week ago and it's showing that it hasn't even been mailed yet.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Overall it was a pretty mediocre episode, but this moment might be my single favorite thing from any podcast ever. I just picture the scene of Paul being so excited to have this stupid toy and June glaring at it with pure trepidation.

I loved it. I never imagined Hackers could be as ridiculous as I heard over the years. It's on Vimeo if anybody skipped seeing it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Hackers is a masterpiece. It is over the top nutso and never not entertaining. I get the feeling listening to this episode that the gang thinks it's a bad movie because of the ridiculousness when that's exactly why it's such a great movie.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Someone should make a supercut of Lorraine Bracco's performance. I felt so bad for her. Literally every line of hers was bewilderment to some tech term like "A mainframe? Whose main are you framing?!"

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i was surprised that paul scheer of all people would not be familiar with the concept of being a "1337" hacker

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

They shoulda got a nerd in there to help explain some of the references. Didn't know leet, didn't know rainbow books. June was 100% on that early hacking was definitely very free-phone-call centric.

FREE KEVIN!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Agreed, needed someone who knew where the movie was coming from. It's 50% legit due to Emmanuel Goldsteins involvement (regardless of how he feels about the movie) and 50% hilarious movie bullshit metaphors because nobody wants to watch command line poo poo. Until Mr Robot came out. Them not knowing which parts are real and which aren't meant it wasn't a particularly enjoyable listen. I was so excited too :(

piratepilates posted:

Hackers is a masterpiece. It is over the top nutso and never not entertaining. I get the feeling listening to this episode that the gang thinks it's a bad movie because of the ridiculousness when that's exactly why it's such a great movie.

Yeah, exactly. It went over their heads and Hackers really shouldn't be going over anyone's head.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Like it is a movie that is so great only because of it's weird and over the top style and their chief complaint is that it's style is over the top and weird style.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I agree with June's criticisms of the early 90s but strongly disagree with her not knowing what a hacker is.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
has 'how did this get made' ever had any incisive commentary? i listened to a few episodes and it's mostly them being generally ignorant about anything specific to the movie half the time, and then wondering whether it's offensive/racist the other half, and then just sort of lolling at how bad/campy the movie is on the other half

i love paul scheer but it's exhausting

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not outside of the time that they've had the writer or director of the movie on, but the new Slashfilm articles that serve as historical companions to the films are pretty solid.

Although Scheer does find some decent obscure trivia occasionally.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So the latest Spontaneanation is ridiculous and very giggly and I can say it barely made any sense whatsoever. Still love it, though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ArtVandelay posted:

So the latest Spontaneanation is ridiculous and very giggly and I can say it barely made any sense whatsoever. Still love it, though.

Last week's Moon Landing episode was one of the show's best for much the same reason - silly voices and a particularly giggly PFT - but especially because I think that show really shines when he's got an established troupe doing the scene. Not to knock the regular Spont players, but the show's longform narrative format is practically made for comedians who already know one another's rhythms.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

ArtVandelay posted:

But did it make any incisive points about the career of the guest interviewee or did they just make jokes and stuff.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tarranon posted:

has 'how did this get made' ever had any incisive commentary? i listened to a few episodes and it's mostly them being generally ignorant about anything specific to the movie half the time, and then wondering whether it's offensive/racist the other half, and then just sort of lolling at how bad/campy the movie is on the other half

i love paul scheer but it's exhausting

Deep Blue Sea has a nice balance because Evan Goldberg unabashedly loves the movie and Paul F Tompkins cannot accept that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ManoliIsFat posted:

June was 100% on that early hacking was definitely very free-phone-call centric.

Oops forgot to comment on this specific bit - they all seemed very confused about phreaking in general... like, loving with the telephone system was the one thing everyone essentially had access to (until people realised that this poo poo was being seriously looked into by the feds, and you shouldn't do it at home). Kids wanting to make free calls, get on party lines, find exchanges they weren't supposed to know about... that's what hacking is. I think that's what was the most frustrating part about the episode. Hacking is essentially about knowledge and exploration, and the film actually doesn't do an awful job at all about showing that hackers were essentially bored nerdy kids, while the media portrayed them as the villains.

The technique shown on Hack The Planet is legit, it's a red box. The fact that was in a movie is just hilarious to me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_box_(phreaking)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I didn't hear the episode but I remember Hackers and it sucked. You guys are nuts

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh it's a bad film, but it's a bad film you will either love or hate.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
They did seem to generally enjoy it for its badness, though. It's just kind of the point of the show to make fun of the weird poo poo in every movie. Also, it can be annoying to know more than them about the subject of the movie and then listen to them miss stuff, but I can't really fault them. They're the general audience, and even when phone phreaking was a thing, the majority of this movie's audience had no idea what was real and what wasn't.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah very true. I think it's just I find all too often they cover films I haven't seen at all/in ages and I end up skipping episodes, then I see something like Hackers and I think it's going to be another Mac and Me or Street Fighter. There was still plenty to laugh about, and I do intend to finish listening. It was just a missed opportunity when there's plenty of people they could've had to guest on this one to make it a classic.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I kind of wish they'd drop the Second Opinions segment as it's basically the same bit every time.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

ArtVandelay posted:

I loved it. The improvised music was off the charts clever. And the group seemed great together (who wants to bet they're all groundlings). The ladies just seemed so delighted by Paul and Ben, busting out often

cams
Mar 28, 2003

a lot of spite and anger in the first couple minutes of Hollywood Handbook this week, but i blame it on the demon

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

whydirt posted:

I kind of wish they'd drop the Second Opinions segment as it's basically the same bit every time.

They should just acknowledge that every review they've ever read on second opinions is someone trolling amazon. It makes them look dumb to react to old internet sarcasm with incredulity like that.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I like the ones clearly written by children or the elderly but all the rest are fake.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not convinced they are fake. :tinfoil: Some people really love lovely movies.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not convinced they are fake. :tinfoil: Some people really love lovely movies.

They purposely pick ones from years earlier so as to not read ones from trolls. And even if they do read some from trolls, suspend that disbelief.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Seriously Besser? A loving poet?

"IF BILLBOARD HAD A POETRY TOP 10 HE'D BE ON IT"

oh he's married to Wompler, I really thought Besser was just trolling the people who don't like his musical eps.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Haha Dan Obrien does actually have a pretty decent twitter. Him and St Clair are adorable. Sure. he's a pretty on-the-nose poet/playwright, but I thought it was a pretty decent ep. Maybe a little sub-par because the performers are so great.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Illinois Smith posted:

I really thought Besser was just trolling the people who don't like his musical eps.

I still think this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, Besser straight-up admitted this episode that his musical guests don't like when he asks them to explain their songs. Why even bother having someone call in to talk about how much they dislike the musical episodes? He's doing the job for himself pretty well.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The poems are shorter than the songs, so I approve. There have been a couple musical guests I've liked though.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Jessica St Clair is totally ridiculous. She really is completely Wompler. Also, she mentioned jerking people off and handjobs and a few other things in nearly every scene. It might be Zouks that brings that out of her, she actually managed to get a bit of surprise laughter out of her husband from how much she kept mentioning it.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
The improv was funny and I could appreciate the poems but it was weird having them next to each other.

Edit: still better than that hillbilly with the banjo last week. I couldn't even finish that. Matt has such dreadful taste in music - we get it, you love Appalachia.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I liked the hillbilly.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Matt is from Arkansas.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The weird thing to me is that I like a lot of singer-songwriter stuff but the few times I've checked out some studio stuff of the guys Matt brings in it always sounds like generic-rear end country music.

Like, I thought Ryan Bingham was pretty good when it was just him with a guitar (and the episode was boss, which probably helped too) but I have no interest in listenting to this. The version he played on the show was so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Same, when it comes to singer/songwriter tastes. It's not even an issue of taste, though - I just don't want to listen to a 3 minute song while I'm in a mood to be more engaged and laugh. I actually like a couple of other improv podcasts better because they just do rapidfire scenes. At least get storytellers on and do it Asssscat style.

Deacon was the only musical guest so far that I felt really added anything. Otherwise Matt could just quote a lyric and jump into scenes.

ArtVandelay posted:

Jessica St Clair is totally ridiculous. She really is completely Wompler. Also, she mentioned jerking people off and handjobs and a few other things in nearly every scene. It might be Zouks that brings that out of her, she actually managed to get a bit of surprise laughter out of her husband from how much she kept mentioning it.

I mean, there's a reason she and Zouks dated in the first place.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 4, 2015