Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

And his tears fell
quenching the soil

Releketh did blossom
and the famine abated

Until they got wind
of from who wept

So they let it dry again
And starved but with clean pa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

I just saw "Measure of a Man" for the first time.

Data is cool, Picard is cool, Ryker and his beard are cool. This 2nd season of TNG is noticeably better than the first, and it becomes so quickly.

I always tell people to just skip the first season except for like an episode or two

Just not worth it and might put people off IMO

It is super funny how they thought the Ferengi were gonna be these great major villains though

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Maybe the new star trek captain should be a rapey, power-tripping coke fiend with a slowly rotting brain

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tujague posted:

Maybe the new star trek captain should be a rapey, power-tripping coke fiend with a slowly rotting brain

Please don't post your CV on the forums.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
I generally don't like TNG that much but Measure of a Man blew me away.
It's solid tv.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
The TNGs I rewatch the most are the scifi mystery ones like "Clues" "Night Terrors" and "Remember me"

The DS9s I tend to rewatch either have Garak in them, are heavily series arc based or largely based around Major Kira getting really pissed off

My Voyagers usually take place in an alternate timeline or in a alternate universe or mostly time travel based. Plus they are a bit skewed towards the Doctor and Seven of Nine

Enterprise; I generally just rewatch the Borg one and maybe the finale if I ever get the urge to self harm

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Enterprise: THE WHOLE SHOW WAS ON THE ENTERPRISE HOLODECK.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Figaro posted:

Enterprise; I generally just rewatch the Borg one and maybe the finale if I ever get the urge to self harm

I thought the Borg were new and... Eeegh I know WHY they'd cram the Borg into a prequel show but, I dunno, not seen it. Maybe it's genuinely good and inventive.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ChogsEnhour posted:

I thought the Borg were new and... Eeegh I know WHY they'd cram the Borg into a prequel show but, I dunno, not seen it. Maybe it's genuinely good and inventive.

Its quite literally the second best appearance the borg have had on Star Trek.

It really shouldn't work, but it kind of does somehow.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Does it explain why they're unheard of when they appear in NG?

I don't mind spoilers. I'm interested, but I doubt I'd ever get around to watching the actual episode.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ChogsEnhour posted:

I don't mind spoilers. I'm interested, but I doubt I'd ever get around to watching the actual episode.

Its just three or four borg from First Contact who survive frozen in the arctic after their ship is destroyed. they assimilate some scientists who find the wreckage, take their ship and start heading towards the delta quadrant. The enterprise and earth can't figure out anything about them other than they're a few cybernetic beings with super advanced tech. They get blown up at the end and its hundreds of years prior to TNG so it seems plausible enough that nobody would have made the connection between them and the borg in TNG.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
That does sound pretty cool actually. Like The Thing or Mountains of Madness but with Borg and Scott Bakula.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ChogsEnhour posted:

To add to what others have said; I think it's established that whatever they are, they're trying to contact something in the delta quadrant, and it's unclear by the end of the episode if they succeeded or not, to further poo poo on the original "Q exposed humanity to the borg" story, but by the end of the episode everyone still had no idea what they were, so it makes sense that later in TNG people don't know what's up. It's still overall a pretty good episode, and a better premise than "Ferengi show up and take over the ship, but everyone's asleep, so it doesn't count as first contact."

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yeah, I thought they handled the Borg as well as they could have in Enterprise. At least with the Borg they were supposed to be tens of thousands of light years away so it would be hundreds of years (if ever) before the next time they encountered each other. They didn't have that excuse when the Ferengi showed up.

I do like how some nerds got really angry that the Borg showed up and they never said "We are the Borg" as though that makes it all excusable. What they didn't remember is that the Borg never say that in Q Who and Guinan has to fill them in.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Yeah that's much better than what I expected.

No idea why but I just presumed it would have went like, the Enterprise encounters "Primitive" borg, fights them off or they adapt and flee and then Scott Bakula goes, "Wipe the black box and everyone forget this ever happened because that was weeeeird. I hope we never see THOSE guys again!" As he stares off camera with a worried face. Fade to black.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ChogsEnhour posted:

Yeah that's much better than what I expected.

No idea why but I just presumed it would have went like, the Enterprise encounters "Primitive" borg, fights them off or they adapt and flee and then Scott Bakula goes, "Wipe the black box and everyone forget this ever happened because that was weeeeird. I hope we never see THOSE guys again!" As he stares off camera with a worried face. Fade to black.

That sort of emmy winning writing is saved for the ferengi episode. Something something REED ALERT, if only we had a directive or some sort.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Giving a backstory to a real world term that's been used since at least the 1950s is one of the great mysteries of Enterprise.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

drilldo squirt posted:

Enterprise: THE WHOLE SHOW WAS ON THE ENTERPRISE HOLODECK.

That would own. Turns out the whole show was just the ship's janitors having delusions of granduer

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Figaro posted:

Watch "In a Mirror, Darkly" parts 1 and 2

Long Live the Terran Empire

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

That would own. Turns out the whole show was just the ship's janitors having delusions of granduer

Umm

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Booblord Zagats posted:

You see, at the end of the final episode we find Riker and Troi in the holodeck where they had been watching the show. We don't know if they watched the entire series, or just the last episode or what. It wasn't supposed to be a fictional program, it was supposed to be a historical reenactment thing, which since the events where hundreds of years before might not be completely accurate, thus covering any incongruities between Enterprise and later cannon. Except lots of things with the timewar and whatnot were things only Archer would know and he was supposed to keep them secret because of the temporal prime directive, so if they watched all 4 seasons where did that come from???

It was a pretty awful WTF capper to the show.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Barclay watched it first and then decided to make it more exciting by adding all the Time War and Xindi poo poo to it.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
It was a love letter to the fans, what more do you want? :byodame:

Also, Archer confided in his chef like he would confide in his bartender.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Barclay watched it first and then decided to make it more exciting by adding all the Time War and Xindi poo poo to it.

biogel and t'pol sex was all Riker tho.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I like that one better. Also he probably added all the T'Pol sex too. It fits his MO.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Imagining all of Enterprise as Barclay's personally crafted historical fan fiction makes it all so much better. Thank you, everyone.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Angela Christine posted:

It was a pretty awful WTF capper to the show.

I have this mental image of Rick Berman and Brannon Braga sitting around a conference room table. The show's being canceled, after ratings flagging for years going back into Voyager. The fans won't stop making GBS threads on them.

It wasn't always like this. They remember when Captain Kirk and Captain Picard were on the cover of TIME Magazine.

"Things were so much simpler back then. TNG was so much fun to work on. I wish we could just do TNG again."

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I have this mental image of Rick Berman and Brannon Braga sitting around a conference room table. The show's being canceled, after ratings flagging for years going back into Voyager. The fans won't stop making GBS threads on them.

It wasn't always like this. They remember when Captain Kirk and Captain Picard were on the cover of TIME Magazine.

"Things were so much simpler back then. TNG was so much fun to work on. I wish we could just do TNG again."

In my version of the fantasy, Berman then strangles Braga for alienating Ron Moore and not being able to keep his dick in his pants.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CharlieWhiskey posted:

In my version of the fantasy, Berman then strangles Braga for alienating Ron Moore and not being able to keep his dick in his pants.

Remember, Braga whined that "Behr just came in and poo poo on everything we did", and Moore pretty well crapped all over Voyager in an interview.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

My Q-Face posted:

I like that one better. Also he probably added all the T'Pol sex too. It fits his MO.

Ooooooh, Barclay :heysexy:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I am the goddess of empathy

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Barclay making like weird submissive waifu versions of all of the female crew members was hilarious

I think he also like programmed in a wimpy version of Riker to beat up and make him feel himself better

Then he gets reprimanded for spending too much time in the holodeck

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The boys got into another scrap, I'm afraid. But boys will be boys.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Germstore posted:

biogel and t'pol sex was all Riker tho.

Computer *beep* Increase programme sexiness by 10% *beep* And another 10% *beep* Increase by 20% this time *beep* oh gently caress it, increase by a further 160%.

Ohhhhh yeah

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

But who was responsible for Tucker mpreg though? Not really Barclay's thing IMO.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Weird Alien Sex is definitely Riker's thing.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Dear Captain Riker,
I have reviewed the holodeck program you sent me, and while I appreciate that you are trying to help maintain my family's legacy, I have to ask what the gently caress?
Sincerely,
Charles Tucker XIII

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Monkey Fracas posted:

Barclay making like weird submissive waifu versions of all of the female crew members was hilarious

I think he also like programmed in a wimpy version of Riker to beat up and make him feel himself better

Then he gets reprimanded for spending too much time in the holodeck

Wesley was supposed to be the vicarious mary sue for the kids in the audience, but the one we all related to was actually lt broccoli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

EvilTaytoMan posted:

But who was responsible for Tucker mpreg though?

Troi

• Locked thread