Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
ok which one of you clowns did this: https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
lmbo

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

triple sulk posted:

swift got open sourced it seems like (or will be)

yeah their github just got updated a few minutes ago https://github.com/apple/
e: ninja'd from like half an hour ago

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

neat

swift is fun to play with but I haven't tried actually making anything in it bigger than a toy

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Ludwig van Halen posted:

doesn't node like fire up a whole freaking instance of chrome in order to do things
last time i tried to install node with homebrew it would like try to compile chrome from source and i'm like yeah... nope ^C

it runs v8, which is the runtime that chrome uses. it does not run chrome.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

loving lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Luigi Thirty posted:

i updated vs2015 to update 1 and now it doesn't work! it just freezes on startup

gently caress it happened to me too

repair did nothing, next i'm trying an uninstall and reinstall, if that fails too i guess it's back to emacs, a program which despite its flaws can at least be updated without breaking everything in undiagnosable ways

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Soricidus posted:

Assertion Failed: Abort=Quit, Retry=Debug, Ignore=Continue

idk if this is vs or .net or windows or what but lmfao at whatever it is

it's from the debug build of the microsoft C runtime

Soricidus posted:

yes? that doesn't really excuse a crazy interface where the buttons have incorrect labels and the correct labels are given in the dialog title instead

it's old code, really old, based on an even older function (MessageBox) which offers very little customization, but also the lowest overhead possible. specifically, it requires no GUI code in the caller aside from the call itself, which is as painless as calling say, Sleep. it's also the "most official" user interaction API available, headless machines can (could?) be configured to log the message and dismiss the dialog automatically without even showing it. it's also the only officially supported GUI available to service processes. it's a pretty sweet function actually, you can stick it anywhere for impromptu synchronous communication with the user, great for debugging and I miss it a lot on other platforms. I can live with fixed button labels

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I remember when poo poo would really get hosed in Windows 95 that I'd start seeing GPF errors in German

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

5'd

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

hackbunny posted:

it's from the debug build of the microsoft C runtime

it's old code, really old, based on an even older function (MessageBox) which offers very little customization, but also the lowest overhead possible. specifically, it requires no GUI code in the caller aside from the call itself, which is as painless as calling say, Sleep. it's also the "most official" user interaction API available, headless machines can (could?) be configured to log the message and dismiss the dialog automatically without even showing it. it's also the only officially supported GUI available to service processes. it's a pretty sweet function actually, you can stick it anywhere for impromptu synchronous communication with the user, great for debugging and I miss it a lot on other platforms. I can live with fixed button labels

i'm sure it's great for low-level c programming. what i don't understand is why does something like that get used when my .net code fails an assertion when running within the visual studio 2015 debugger? i don't get why it's using ancient low-level c runtime functionality instead of just raising an exception or something like everything else in .net. idk it's not a big deal it's just ... weird

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

whats a decent starter gui library in c++?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Apocadall posted:

there are none

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Apocadall posted:

Cocoa on OS X, you use it from Objective-C though because it's better than C++ for UI work

C++ refuses to implement the requisite dynamism for loose coupling between model and view/presentation, but you can mix C++ and Objective-C at the statement level using Objective-C++ and get the best of both worlds

really not trolling here: Cocoa is the best way to create a native Mac interface (which will be the best personal computer interface), and ObjC++ makes it easy to wire that native UI to C++ model code

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Apocadall posted:

a Windows Presentation Foundation wrapper for your c++ application

like seriously there aren't any and don't bother unless you think you want to write Qt for the next decade

Windows has MFC but there's no reason to learn it unless you're getting paid to write it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
make your GUI an HTML with JavaScript or whatever and have a c++ back end if u must

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Soricidus posted:

what i don't understand is why does something like that get used when my .net code fails an assertion when running within the visual studio 2015 debugger?

you mean Debug.Assert shows this? maybe the BCL people just cargo-culted the code from the C runtime, they do that a lot for the low level stuff. let's look at the code... no, it uses a breakpoint or throws an exception. either the code on github is different from the code they ship, or the assertion is coming from a lower level, maybe a native library

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Apocadall posted:

Qt is alright

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/165

lmao

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I considered requesting an 'Other' gender option in our product, but reticence won over in the end

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Apocadall posted:

Qt makes C++ more like Java, so its realyg ood

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
me a dumbass was able to use Qt without too much trouble. there is some book that explains the signals and slots whatevers.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
comedy option: embed tcl/tk. i would maybe do that if it were an app for something Si tool related bc Tk is very needs suiting and in the Si industry only 90% of people sigh at the idea of Tcl instead of 100% of peopl

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

gonadic io posted:

I considered requesting an 'Other' gender option in our product, but reticence won over in the end

why not just not ask for gender at all?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

thissery. srsly why is it needed unless its an input to the service that is being provided.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Barnyard Protein posted:

thissery. srsly why is it needed unless its an input to the service that is being provided.

what if you need to ban trans people from using their new names like Facebook

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

c bad programmer s: i really enjoy that every problem has already been solved in java's standard libraries, but often in a very poor way

apparently 8 fixed their goddamn datetime/calendar monstrosity

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
jesus christ. i keep forgetting that the answer to so many questions is that the world is soaked in terrible

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Share Bear posted:

c bad programmer s: i really enjoy that every problem has already been solved in java's standard libraries, but often in a very poor way

apparently 8 fixed their goddamn datetime/calendar monstrosity

figuring out what to use and not to use is an exciting adventure. apache / guava are there for you where the JDK falls short

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Barnyard Protein posted:

figuring out what to use and not to use is an exciting adventure. apache / guava are there for you where the JDK falls short

yeah, apache's only failing is that their documentation can be incredibly bad/useless compared to oracle's

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Tbf it probably has implications in terms of money laundering and credit score, not to mention part of identification from various agencies etc

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

you know what i hate

i hate academic code.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fritz posted:

you know what i hate

i hate academic code.

same.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

gonadic io posted:

Tbf it probably has implications in terms of money laundering and credit score, not to mention part of identification from various agencies etc

it's probably not this

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
so i got pretty deep into json schema and holy poo poo it's garbage and every implementation behaves differently.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
json is bad but its what you have to deal with when using javascript

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
json schema is an oxymoron

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
why does json exist? because someone decided xml was bad due to reasons?

oh its a js thing nevermind that explains it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah it's idiotic, but i thought it would be at least functional.

If I'm going to be forced to consume json, i am very happy to use something that at least makes it predictable. as long as that thing is trivial to use.

• Locked thread