Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I hope they eventually print a 'fixed' version of SFM without the cheatyface active. Heliod's Pilgrim, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

I still think the loser should have their name changed to Painful Truths and have their picture changed to its art.

black potus -> painful truths
mcmagic -> convincing mirage

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

I still think the loser should have their name changed to Painful Truths and have their picture changed to its art.

Why? This is a format where for some reason a turn 2, 1 mana 4/5 Azure Mage is just fine. Given that, I don't see why a turn 3, 4 mana over 2 turns, 4/4 vigilance, lifelink creature that dies to Bolt, Clique, Thoughtseize, Duress, and artifact hate is really that big of a deal?

And it looks like they've already given up on printing halfway decent equipment. I don't think anything has been even close to playable since Sword of Feast and Famine. What's the best one we've gotten since then? Godsend? The one that gives +1/+1 fof each color the creature is?

It doesn't die to Bolt...

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

mcmagic is not allowed to put ellipses in his posts in this thread anymore.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want to say that Painful Truths sounds like a disguised title for goatse

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Procrastinator posted:

Never agreeing to this.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

It doesn't die to Bolt...

Stoneforge dies to Bolt. And I don't think anyone is going to make the claim that 1W: put a Batterskull into your hand is particularly broken.

Procrastinator posted:

This. gangsines has to use proper punctuation and mcmagic cant use his ellipses any more.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

mcmagic posted:

Never agreeing to this.

what a buzzkill......

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Stoneforge dies to Bolt. And I don't think anyone is going to make the claim that 1W: put a Batterskull into your hand is particularly broken.

1W: "Your opponent reveals a Bolt from their hand or loses the game" is pretty broken.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

JerryLee posted:

I hope they eventually print a 'fixed' version of SFM without the cheatyface active. Heliod's Pilgrim, basically.

We got Relic Seeker, which was this but worse.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I suspect that if kolaghan's command had been around as a clean maindeckable 1:1 answer to both stoneforge and the batterskull maybe sfm wouldn't have been banned, but it won't let sfm be unbanned just by existing so :rip:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

suicidesteve posted:

This. gangsines has to use proper punctuation and mcmagic cant use his ellipses any more.

It's not "1W: put a Batterskull into your hand" broken its the combination of "1W: put a Batterskull into your hand" and "1W: put a Batterskull onto the battlefield"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

this is a terrible idea because black potus is a great id

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Procrastinator posted:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

1W: "Your opponent reveals a Bolt from their hand or loses the game" is pretty broken...

Angry Grimace posted:

It's not "1W: put a Batterskull into your hand" broken its the combination of "1W: put a Batterskull into your hand" and "1W: put a Batterskull onto the battlefield"

Ok but again, why is a 1 mana 4/5 or 5/5 that comes down on turn 2 ok but a 4/4 vigilance lifelink that comes down turn 3 assuming your opponent doesn't interact with you in any way not? Like what deck can't beat a Batterskull? The only ones I can think of that would suffer from this are Zoo and Burn, and that's definitely a good thing in my book.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm trying to make a competitive Wild Pair Legacy deck. Are there any two 1/1 (or 0/2) creatures that combo together better than Devoted Druid and Quillspike? Those two give me an infinitely big creature, but it doesn't have evasion, and I need to wait a turn to attack. Suggestions?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

suicidesteve posted:

Ok but again, why is a 1 mana 4/5 or 5/5 that comes down on turn 2 ok but a 4/4 vigilance lifelink that comes down turn 3 assuming your opponent doesn't interact with you in any way not? Like what deck can't beat a Batterskull? The only ones I can think of that would suffer from this are Zoo and Burn, and that's definitely a good thing in my book.

It's also not counterable and they can tutor it up as part of a toolbox of equipment.

I think that just as Stoneforge with only the ETB wouldn't be broken, Stoneforge with only the active wouldn't be broken (it would also be a lot less good than the tutor version, I bet, but that's beside the point). It's the combination.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

suicidesteve posted:

A lot of reasons. Turn 2 Tasigur requires you to Thought Scour yourself to happen, Stoneforge Mystic pulls out Batterskulls out of your deck for free, Tasigur dies to everything/Batterskull doesn't, the Batterskull part isn't counterable. The mainboard answer to Batterskull isn't bolt, terminate, Go for the Throat, Cut or anything else that kills Tasigur, its basically just Kolaghan's Command.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

"dies to removal"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Saying that Stoneforge Mystic dies to Bolt is the poster child for why people get pissed off at "dies to removal" even though that argument has its time and place. You get a Batterskull in your hand for free.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

If Stoneforge was a demonic tutor for batterskull that also made your opponent discard a removal spell, it would still be really really good.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Most creatures either have a strong board presence and demand an answer, but give you nothing if removed; or have a strong etb ability that lets them pay for themselves immediately, but leave behind a subpar body that doesn't really demand an answer. They either get shut down by removal, or aren't scary enough once they're on the battlefield to warrant removal.

One of the things that makes Stoneforge Mystic so good is that it does both. It replaces itself on etb so you still come out ahead if it does get removed, and then it also ruins the opponent's day if it doesn't get removed.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

"dies to removal"

It's cool how people don't understand that "your opponent must spend his next turn using a removal spell on this creature, or else they lose the game" is usually an upside for 1-2 mana creatures.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 4, 2015

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Chamale posted:

I'm trying to make a competitive Wild Pair Legacy deck. Are there any two 1/1 (or 0/2) creatures that combo together better than Devoted Druid and Quillspike? Those two give me an infinitely big creature, but it doesn't have evasion, and I need to wait a turn to attack. Suggestions?

I think you'll first have to abandon the Wild Pair idea or the hope of being competitive.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I think you'll first have to abandon the Wild Pair idea or the hope of being competitive.

Wild Pair reminds me that I gave a friend of mine the idea to play Charging Badger in his Ezuri, Claw of Progress deck because it's full of 1/1s and 2/2s anyway, "you know, so you have a definite wincon"

I had the whole store in tears. It was wonderful.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
mcmagic if you won't stop using ellipses please propose some stakes thank you

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

black potus posted:

mcmagic if you won't stop using ellipses please propose some stakes thank you

I'm nowhere near creative enough. The bet was your idea lol.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
run whatever list Chamale comes up with for wild pair through a gp/open/etc. and post a detailed tourney report

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

black potus posted:

run whatever list Chamale comes up with for wild pair through a gp/open/etc. and post a detailed tourney report

lol sold.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Show and Pair. Break out of the Legacy scene.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pussy Snorkel posted:

OK by "competitive" I mean I'll be playing it in a player-run tournament that rewards players for winning in weird ways. This is the same event where I once made bank with Dream Halls + Conflux because it allowed me to win in alternative ways such as Barren Glory, Near-Death Experience, Laboratory Maniac, and Phage the Untouchable.

Tribal Apocalypse if anyone else wants to get in on this fun, it's every Saturday at 1700 GMT.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Even if they don't unban Stoneforge, I hope they unban something in Modern.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dread Return or Sword of the Meek are probably fine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Stoddard on making double small set drafts work

Biggest takeaways are more commons and less lovely commons (especially cycles of those).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Printing good new cards for modern > Unbanning stuff.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Does it just play out like a Modern Sneak & Show, AKA "ramp into spell that cheats a huge fuckoff creature into play"? Seems like it might be a little more difficult than that since you can't run any cheap ramp for fear of hitting it with Cascade.
Sortof except it slams a bunch of fuckoff creatures that kill you instantly.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Rinkles posted:

Biggest takeaways are more commons and less lovely commons (especially cycles of those).

"Don't make all the cards really bad" is some pretty good advice, maybe we'll go back to the era of playable commons again

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Serperoth posted:

Besides, we just got Judge promos this year. I don't think they cycle through them that fast.

2 of the 2015 promos haven't been spoiled yet (1/8 and 2/8, 3/8 is Rishadan Port). I reckon SFM was meant to be 1/8 but they changed their mind

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Rinkles posted:

Other takeaway: Stoddard also recognizes that Spider Spawning is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

3/8 is Rishadan Port).

What?! When was this announced?

• Locked thread