Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

What sort of enemies do you think will be in the Darkest Dungeon itself? I predict tentacles, but further than that I got nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

paradoxGentleman posted:

What sort of enemies do you think will be in the Darkest Dungeon itself? I predict tentacles, but further than that I got nothing.
Bandits

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Soothing Vapors posted:

Invisible Inc. was also this game for me. bought it, hated it, uninstalled it, forgot I had it.

Came back months after launch and it turns out to be one of the best games I own. Almost didn't even give it another chance.

It's got DLC that is apparently fantastic too. I'm buying the DLC once i'm done loving around with fallout/bb2

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Found out that a plague doctor who's gone Abusive can refuse to self-medicate, on the grounds that she'd be wasting her medicines on such a person. :psyduck:

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

Ghastly experiments. Anticipate all manner of Frankenstinian ghouls, maybe some clockwork abominations clogged with midnight black vivifying ichor that sucks the light and heat out of everything it touches. Vaguely humanoid swarms of corrupted vermin, shuddering pillars made of inhuman eyeballs and teeth, floating skin-sacs of phlogiston that boil along the ceiling like the dying breath of a frantic cave-diver.

Or, you know, skeletons. But differently colored.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Every encounter will be a horde of skeletal courtiers. To imagine the Darkest Dungeon, imagine a tempting goblet hitting a human face... forever.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Haven't seen anyone talking about these, but evidently there's some official minicomics exploring the background Highwayman and Abomination.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the Plague Doctor.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

these had better be in the style of TF2 Meet The... videos

e: actually they were quite good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Haven't seen anyone talking about these, but evidently there's some official minicomics exploring the background Highwayman and Abomination.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the Plague Doctor.

drat the highwayman one hits you right in the feelings.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Jesus Christ, Highwayman. :stare:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Let's all remember why he's called a Highwayman in the first place :smith:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm kind of hoping for corrupt versions of the heroes but Collector got that already covered it seems.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Pfft, like the Highwayman does enough damage to solo 4 enemies

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

drat the highwayman one hits you right in the feelings.

Another life wasted in the pursuit of glory and gold.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Am I just imagining things, or is Red Hook going to add some more interaction or events to pop up in the Hamlet between missions? Like right now, the checklist of bosses to beat and levels to gain for each class feels a lot like a placeholder.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Snollygoster posted:

Am I just imagining things, or is Red Hook going to add some more interaction or events to pop up in the Hamlet between missions? Like right now, the checklist of bosses to beat and levels to gain for each class feels a lot like a placeholder.

One of the Kickstarter stretch goals they met was "Town Events", while I'm not sure what kind of events will occur, I can tell you that they will be included in the first big post release content patch, alongside the Merchant class.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I thought the town events were things like a character going binge drinking for weeks or going on vision quests when you cured their stress.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Kly posted:

I thought the town events were things like a character going binge drinking for weeks or going on vision quests when you cured their stress.

Nope, the town events are supposed to change the state of the town itself. Here's all we know about them, from a KS update when the stretch goal was unlocked.

quote:

Battle-weary or proudly triumphant, each time that you return to town after a quest, there is a chance that a Town Event can happen. There are a wide variety of events, with a mixture of positive and negative consequences.

A pox upon your houses!
A pox upon your houses!
Most of the time, even bad events will have an upside. Mostly.

Examples of other events:

Alcohol Shortage! A missed shipment of hops leaves the town dry. Stressed heroes will have to rely on other activities to bring them back down to earth.
Heat Wave! Increased chance of ABUSIVE afflictions on the next expedition. This could be good or bad...
Rumors of a Huge Bounty! Increased chance of recruiting Bounty Hunters while the rumor persists.
The First One's Free! The Nomad is having a sale on trinket purchases.
Missing Cargo Ship! A ship overflowing with treasures and supplies has gone missing near the Cove. Perhaps a quest to that dungeon will be more lucrative than usual.
And more!
Town Events will add flavor to the Hamlet experience, but they also will present you with interesting choices that may alter your plans.

I'm sure they've reconsidered some of those events as the game has evolved (who cares if you can recruit more bounty hunters) but that's the flavor they're looking for

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Are they going to dramatically re-work the Stress system, or is that just how it is? A lot of it doesn't make much sense. After the fifth or sixth time getting a cup full of blood thrown at you, you know, you're going to be pretty soaked already, it's not going to keep being a startling new development.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm sure they've reconsidered some of those events as the game has evolved (who cares if you can recruit more bounty hunters) but that's the flavor they're looking for

Eh, you wanna toss in a few not-big-deal events to spice up the mix so when something big drops its more unexpected.

Reminds me of Heroes' of might and magic's week system. Each week would be declared "Week of ___" and something would happen. Except some of them were non-events. Like sometimes it'd be "week of the imp - all imps replenish at twice normal rate!" or "week of the crow - all armies have greater line of sight" or something. But you'd also have like "week of frogs - watch out for more frogs!" which wouldn't actually do anything, or "week of sunshine - just really nice, really" stuff like that. So that when "week of plague death" comes through you're more surprised.

Plus if you were about to recruit some other classes and now you can't get them because you're overrun with bounty hunters, that's kinda funny. But also frustrating.

StringOfLetters posted:

Are they going to dramatically re-work the Stress system, or is that just how it is? A lot of it doesn't make much sense. After the fifth or sixth time getting a cup full of blood thrown at you, you know, you're going to be pretty soaked already, it's not going to keep being a startling new development.

Its an RPG dude. That's just how poo poo works.

What if the blood is like evil or infected or something? Its not just the shock of having your dress ruined.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I seriously doubt it's going to be reworked beyond slight values tweaks.

I'm a little frustrated that the game seems to be getting harder and harder, like the devs are balancing their patches around the players who have been playing non-stop since the release of the beta. Everything's getting more expensive and punishing and while I know there's no actual lose condition for the hamlet, losing high-level heroes just means now you gotta spend many many missions grinding more guys up to fill their space.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

I'll be disappointed if we don't get to recruit Old Widow Harlan as a one-shot living bomb.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

It's pretty clear they want the game to be a tooth-and-nail struggle the whole way through. Every time they identify a "safe" or at least reliable strategy, they seem to stamp it out. They want your characters to die, and they want your victories to be narrowly won. Which is really exactly what they've promised the whole time. It's just that two issues have developed that are in the way of that goal.

1. The game started out more forgiving and is being actively tuned more punishing, so many of the people who have followed it the longest are losing the game they enjoy. This could have been avoided by starting harder and tuning down, but then I don't know if it would have entered Early Access with such broad appeal. Honestly this is only an issue because of Early Access.
2. The experience system runs directly counter to having expendable characters, because you have to invest so much time and so many resources just to progress. Losing a high-ranking character represents losing a lot of actual progress, as opposed to XCOM where losing a ranking soldier just lost you certain advantages in battle. The harder the game gets, the more of a problem it's going to be unless they decouple ranks from progression.

I still think they're making a great game, even in the direction that they're going, but they've definitely got problems that need to be addressed.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I think the best thing they could do, as far as making heroes feel more expendable, is have very expensive stagecoach upgrades which make your heroes start out at a higher ranking. Optionally they could have this option tied into defeating bosses - so, you can't start recruiting level 1 or 2 heroes until you've beaten all the Apprentice-level bosses or something. Newbies will be more expensive than your vets because you'll still have to level up their skills and equipment again, but at least if you wipe you're not stuck grinding a whole party up from level 0 losers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

2. The experience system runs directly counter to having expendable characters, because you have to invest so much time and so many resources just to progress. Losing a high-ranking character represents losing a lot of actual progress, as opposed to XCOM where losing a ranking soldier just lost you certain advantages in battle. The harder the game gets, the more of a problem it's going to be unless they decouple ranks from progression.

I still think they're making a great game, even in the direction that they're going, but they've definitely got problems that need to be addressed.

Yeah I think this is the real issue.

You could solve it by having heroes who die not actually die but become "mortally wounded" and then you'd have to like take them back to the town and leave them in the infirmary for awhile or pay a bunch of money or you could only rescue so many heroes if you lose your whole party or something. But its all just minor mitigation. If you take out death completely its "too easy" because you could just grind stuff until you get money and xp, but the current death system just feels a little punishing for your hard-worked high level heroes. Losing a low level hero is no biggie but losing somebody you leveled up a ton really sucks.

The fact that heroes refuse to do lower-level missions really exacerbates this problem and can create some real awkward situations.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm a little frustrated that the game seems to be getting harder and harder, like the devs are balancing their patches around the players who have been playing non-stop since the release of the beta. Everything's getting more expensive and punishing and while I know there's no actual lose condition for the hamlet, losing high-level heroes just means now you gotta spend many many missions grinding more guys up to fill their space.

I got the game in October and thought it was too easy and I wasn't even playing optimally like camping ASAP or only using the best party comps or whatever. Basically as soon as I learned that you can use items on the curios, every run at any level was a cake walk 90% of the time and when it wasn't it involved a Shambler or some bad luck in the cove.

I play a lot of roguelikes and similar games though so RNG mitigation was something I came in knowing about.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The nice thing is that progress is not measured solely by experience level. If you need to train up replacements they still make exploration progress so that you can tackle the upper tier bosses sooner.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kly posted:

I got the game in October and thought it was too easy and I wasn't even playing optimally like camping ASAP or only using the best party comps or whatever. Basically as soon as I learned that you can use items on the curios, every run at any level was a cake walk 90% of the time and when it wasn't it involved a Shambler or some bad luck in the cove.

I play a lot of roguelikes and similar games though so RNG mitigation was something I came in knowing about.

I get this. There's no one difficulty that would be right for everyone, and it's cool that you're enjoying the difficulty increase. But without a difficulty slider I guess I'm just worried that once the finale comes out and the final version is released, the game is going to have been so overtuned in response to the best players' tactics that all the normal players like me are going to find it a terrible slog to try to get to see the ending.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
There are a few things they introduced that simply don't add difficulty in the right places.

Heart attacks and Death's Door debuffs? Oh cool, now you can snowball harder in a game that really only got you via unlucky crit strings anyway.
Costs get higher? That just means even more grinding.

It's not like they've totally forgotten how to make a good game of course, I like the new bosses and the Cove (although quadruple spear fish groups can gently caress right off), but a couple of things just make it more frustrating when poo poo goes wrong without adding challenge.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 5, 2015

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

StringOfLetters posted:

Hey nerd im gonna give you six swirlies and each time you'll cry a little harder

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Wizard Styles posted:

That just means even more grinding.

I mentioned this in the steam thread too but I don't really understand the complaint about "grinding" since what you do to grind in this game is the same as what you do when you're not grinding.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kly posted:

I mentioned this in the steam thread too but I don't really understand the complaint about "grinding" since what you do to grind in this game is the same as what you do when you're not grinding.

At some point if you've got every area explored to the 6th boss any further missions are superfluous.

Also, if you're sending throwaway teams into the dungeon for a handful of loot and then firing them that's pure grinding, not making any kind of progress at all.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Well if you've done all the dungeons and bosses then you've beat the game for now. And using a suicide squad is the same gameplay as running a dungeon with a level 5 or 6 crew. Like, I really don't see much difference between what people are claiming is grinding in Darkest Dungeon and what is just playing the game. It's like calling an FTL run that results in death a grind.

Kly fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 5, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

paradoxGentleman posted:

Rabbitses

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Nothing like having a Leper get totally hosed in the head on quirks, get himself diseased constantly from digging up graves and picking apart corpses with his bare hands in search of ~ghosts~, then suddenly repenting and praying to some blasphemous idol he found out in the woods and getting himself hosed up even more.

I'm going to be sad when I lose him; he's adorable.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

Pfft, like the Highwayman does enough damage to solo 4 enemies

The comic was probably written back when stacking crit and spamming grapeshot blast was the highwayman meta.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I'm wondering what they'll do with the Vestal's origin comic, since at least one of her afflictions has her getting lost in traumatic memories of her training. I actually find it pretty neat whenever afflictions come up, since I get to see stuff about the characters' backstories/personalities that otherwise doesn't surface.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Kly posted:

I can sort of see that, but if I'm just doing low-level missions to get the levels of rookie adventurers up and grind for money/heirlooms, I'm doing exactly what I did before. Same enemies in the same group compositions, same bosses if I even go after them instead of going the safe route and just doing standard medium length missions forever.
Also, you have to remember that the game doesn't really lead anywhere right now since the Darkest Dungeon isn't in the game, so while there's not really any progress towards the endgame you're missing out on by grinding right now, that's going to change.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
A neat thing with highwayman comic is that the jagged glass at the end looks like the stress/affliction symbol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the darkest dungeon will contain enemies who stress out your heroes by making them responsible for the deaths of children