Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

I have found with carriers I either do really well, or nothing at all, with little in-between. Dive bombers seem pretty useless since they are very inaccurate unless they are not moving at all, and even then they do not do that much damage. It is kind of like a less accurate battleship salvo that takes 5x longer to reload and can be shot down. Maybe with better commanders they get better. Torpedo bombers are pretty good, it is always fun one shotting a BB, but good teams will be proficient at shooting them down. I probably on average do more damage consistently with a destroyer or battleship. Then again I might just be bad.

That is more or less the case - you'll either obliterate the opposing team, or do barely anything in the match.

There are a few tricks to getting the most out of your carrier, I'm listing tactics here with a torpedo-only loadout:

1) Knowing how to position your in-flight formations to take advantage of subs/destroyers/CLs spotting for your team.

2) Determining the minimum amount of descending distance at top or near-top speed for your torp bombers to perform small adjustments as they get closer to the target ship without having them ascend and circle back to try to make a different pass (without mastering this, you will lose a ton of torp bombers and potential damage/kills)

3) Determine the absolute minimum distance needed for torpedoes to arm themselves in relation to the target. This isn't always required since torpedos go so fast, bb's can rarely get out of the way from a longer distance, but it's usually needed for fast CLs and DDs as well as smaller subs. Note that on a torp run, once descending, if the lead plane on the run gets shot down while attempting the descend for unleashing torps, the torp run is canceled and the squad will not unleash, circle around and probably die to AA. This is very frustrating. This frustration is mitigated by the chance of dunking on hapless ships with a quite small arming range across nations.

4) Learn how to perform 90-degree torpedo turn runs on targets - this will throw off a target into thinking the bombers are proceeding to another target, then they get flanked by a torp run. Best if used at a range where the turn only periodically brings the squad into AA range and there is an additional 'decoy' target in the misdirection.

5) Learn how to position fighters to anticipate enemy planes flying for your friendly BBs. The most delicious tears are tears of rage of the enemy carrier.

6) Learn how to scout. Learning how to scout is last in importance because you should actually depend on your team for a good deal of scouting, beyond the initial sacrifice of a few single scout plane squads thrown across the map towards the start-middle of the round for that sweet, sweet spotting xp. You absolutely need officers with "increase scouting range of aircraft" skill like Spruance, because the 800-900 default range you get at the starting tiers is useless for spotting and getting out alive. Strangely enough, with spotting officers maxed for a 2km-ish spotting range, this is the only surefire way with micromanagement to use scout planes, discover an enemy, and hightail it back without risk of damage from the enemy (fighter squads not included.)

There's a translated writeup on the steam community forums about descending distance and 90 degree torp runs but no pictures, I have to find the original chinese thread with pics from Baidu.

Note I have never bothered using dive bombers on my japanese carriers, ThirdWorldReggin might have advice on dive bombers on his US boats.

Pacra fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Ok you two are in the fleet.

I made a bit more space.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Applied again as Sarmhan.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So lets talk dive bombers.

They are not your most useful bombers. Not in damage or survivability.

The Rangers Tier 6 torpedo bombers do 690 damage and the rangers Tier 6 dive bombers do 536 damage. They each fly in wings of 4 and it is way easier to get more hits with torpedo bombers than dive bombers. The torpedo spread is nicer and you can do it from range.

There are very few instances that you want to actually use dive bombers, but first, here is how their aiming works.

The left reticule is almost fully aimed in while the one on the right is at max bloom. Just like your guns, if you move where they are aiming, the bloom will get larger, but only slightly so for small corrections. These guys need about 11 seconds to aim fully in.

They can also do corrections when really close to their target, which torpedo bombers can not. This makes them only some what useful as you need either a very distracted ship or an island to pop over to make the most use of them. If you can pop right over an island with two or three wings of dive bombers, you can pretty much guarantee a large ship is dead or really hosed up.

Stat wise, the japanese are a bit better at aiming and turning which is a huge plus. The americans move faster, have more health, and more damage. It is really a toss up on which is better but moving across the map faster tends to be more useful.

So use them on maps with tons of islands or if you want to loop around an enemy fleet and garuntee a single target is dead. Torpdeo bombers still do this well enough. They are great at ambushing targets.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wonder how the British Carriers will compare. Maybe when they come in I'll give carriers a go.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wonder how the British Carriers will compare. Maybe when they come in I'll give carriers a go.

That's what I'm hoping. I finished the Hosho, unlocked the next one which I can't spell, sold the Hosho and not touching carriers again till the British stuff comes out.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Applied as Olesh; the queues late night are kind of garbage but I'm kind of hoping that will improve? Right now something resembling reasonable queue times is the only thing World of Warships has over this; are queues better during normal prime time? It seems nearly impossible to get in a round with full group of 5 sometimes.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Ratzap posted:

That's what I'm hoping. I finished the Hosho, unlocked the next one which I can't spell, sold the Hosho and not touching carriers again till the British stuff comes out.

Why would you sell the Hosho? It's a fantastic entry carrier. Unless you have a brit boner I guess

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Olesh posted:

Applied as Olesh; the queues late night are kind of garbage but I'm kind of hoping that will improve? Right now something resembling reasonable queue times is the only thing World of Warships has over this; are queues better during normal prime time? It seems nearly impossible to get in a round with full group of 5 sometimes.

Groups of 5 are a bit of a trap; even during normal prime time it takes a few minutes to get a game. Otherwise, queue times aren't bad if you're not playing higher tiers.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I applied as Iniquitous.

So far I am 7 of 8 wins in destroyers and 0 of 7 in battleships. I think the game might be trying to tell me something.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Pacra posted:

Why would you sell the Hosho? It's a fantastic entry carrier. Unless you have a brit boner I guess

Carrier play isn't as fun for me as destroyer/cruiser/submarine at the moment and the fact that matches are boom or bust seemingly on a whim just nails it. I'm British from a naval family so that probably qualifies as a brit boner (I bought a warspite in WoWS) which is why I'll try carriers again when they come out. For now, I just don't enjoy weak sauce dive bombers which only become useful if I can surprise attack over an island. Torps work but the planes are easy to shoot down. I didn't sell it because of the Hosh-ness but because of the carrier-ness if you get what I mean.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It'll be fun to use low-tier British torpedo bombers. :v:

I just hope they aren't too painfully slow.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It'll be fun to use low-tier British torpedo bombers. :v:

I just hope they aren't too painfully slow.

The real ones certainly were - your swordfish there had a 120 knot speed with a torpedo but they were so versatile and tough. We'll have to see how they get 'gamified' in steel ocean.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, it should be interesting. Not sure what they'll use as dive bombers. I mean I know the Swordfish could function as a divebomber but... yeah.

Barracudas I guess. Maybe the Spearfish as a high-tier torp/dive bomber.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015

Ratzap posted:

Carrier play isn't as fun for me as destroyer/cruiser/submarine at the moment and the fact that matches are boom or bust seemingly on a whim just nails it.

Carriers have a steep learning curve. You get into T3-T4 and get a crazy mix of pubbies and really skilled players with hundreds of hours of carrier play, who can pretty much point blank torpedo you while distracting your AA with dive bombers.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

James Garfield posted:

Groups of 5 are a bit of a trap; even during normal prime time it takes a few minutes to get a game. Otherwise, queue times aren't bad if you're not playing higher tiers.

A few minutes would be tolerable with five of us in voice and bullshitting. It's when there's fifteen minutes between rounds and the average queue time is 10+ minutes that it gets irritating. It doesn't help that late at night we're 10% of the people in queue.

I mean, obviously a solution to speed things up is to split into smaller groups, but I'm hoping that the queues were less garbage during prime. It seems like that's the case, so there's some hope if the playerbase grows.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Meat_Grinder posted:

Carriers have a steep learning curve. You get into T3-T4 and get a crazy mix of pubbies and really skilled players with hundreds of hours of carrier play, who can pretty much point blank torpedo you while distracting your AA with dive bombers.

So what are you trying to say? L2P? That seems a rather steep conclusion without ever having seen me play or know how much experience I have.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Game would own if the 10000+ or so primetime WOWS players came to their senses and moved over

Edit : assuming wargaming isn't lying their pants off of 10k in primetime NA

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The trick is to sync drop and not be in a 5 man platoon.

This game learned a lot from world of tanks, and at one point there was a huge issue with platoons and unbalanced games. So world of tanks changed it so platoons had a higher chance of fighting other platoons at the expense of a lower chance and longer wait if no other platoons were out there.

This game has the same thing so platoons have a long wait. Sync dropping can be instant on the other hand.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015

Ratzap posted:

So what are you trying to say? L2P? That seems a rather steep conclusion without ever having seen me play or know how much experience I have.

No, I was just recalling my experience with carriers :D

UPD
Also, current matchmaking pretty much negates your skill as a solo player. I'm sure you've gotten bundled up with pubbies against competent players multiple times already. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you are spotting for BBs that don't bother to shoot your spotted targets, or if your fleet leaves you alone against two submarines.

Meat_Grinder fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 5, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
3 or less seems to be the magic number for platoon size. I never 5 man platoon anymore because like Grithok said, it's going to gently caress you.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

ZombieApostate posted:

I applied as Iniquitous.

So far I am 7 of 8 wins in destroyers and 0 of 7 in battleships. I think the game might be trying to tell me something.

Correction, the Nassau is a steaming pile of barf poo, but the Kawachi is cool and good.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Reappied as crazedkid103. Omaha still not good. Florida is crazy. the Hegoland is so so.

Griz
May 21, 2001

ZombieApostate posted:

Correction, the Nassau is a steaming pile of barf poo, but the Kawachi is cool and good.

Nassau still has that one set of secondaries that gets 13 shots/minute instead of the 5/min you get with every other version of that gun.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Yeah, those are great for killing the small fry, but then you have to fight a real BB and can't hurt it :saddowns:.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Applying repeatedly when I recall as Veloxyll.

ZombieApostate posted:

Yeah, those are great for killing the small fry, but then you have to fight a real BB and can't hurt it :saddowns:.

Luckily, you still have your main gjuns for that. I miss my rapid fire secondaries :(

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Just had a really good run in my Bagley. So many subs just stopping dead, as if then the torpedoes can't see them.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
At what point do the credits pick up? I have enough XP for the Tier IV U-Boat and nearly enough for a Wyoming, but only enough to buy one of them. It looks like the U-Boat upgrade is marginal, though. So how does the Wyoming compare to the Florida? Worth getting first?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Humbaba posted:

At what point do the credits pick up? I have enough XP for the Tier IV U-Boat and nearly enough for a Wyoming, but only enough to buy one of them. It looks like the U-Boat upgrade is marginal, though. So how does the Wyoming compare to the Florida? Worth getting first?

The Wyoming is a huge upgrade over the florida- better main guns, much better secondaries(you can actually fire more than three at a time with a broadside!), and more hp.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I think everyone who wants in is in. We had 75 applicants I had to decline so not sure if I missed you.

Also we need someone else to do this once and awhile.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
After seeing how spotting works for DJ last night in the fleet battles, I did a little research into getting more scout range. I only looked at t3 destroyers and t3-4 cruisers since whatever is spotting needs to have a bit of dodge factor to survive. It turns out the destroyers are all the same but the Furataka has a slightly longer base - 4280m. Sticking on the equipment that gives 400m scout range brings it up to 4620m - obviously not +400. Either the display in port is screwed up, there is a soft/hard cap in action or some form of diminishing returns.
I slotted commanders that should give another 650m scout range and it went up to 4690 in port. Jumping into a quick game, a destroyer still got to about 3km before I spotted it (I went off away from the pack and planes). There are obviously a lot of factors involved but I think using a destroyer is a must for the extra stealth factor.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

I think everyone who wants in is in. We had 75 applicants I had to decline so not sure if I missed you.

Also we need someone else to do this once and awhile.

I didn't get in :saddowns:

Applied again as Iniquitous.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
We made a new first last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUB4v_bNivQ

Watching it again: getting better at torps would be go a long way in the destroyer rush strategy (the fact that that wyoming survived so long with so many destroyers torping it was flat out embarrassing). Is there a way to host private rooms like in tanks? I might pop on later today and try to grab some people to do some experimentation.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Training mode probably has passwords, I would assume. [edit] Yes, training rooms can be passworded.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 5, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game is so goddamn much better than World of Warships.

Fighting boat is fun again.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

dpidz0r posted:

We made a new first last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUB4v_bNivQ

Watching it again: getting better at torps would be go a long way in the destroyer rush strategy (the fact that that wyoming survived so long with so many destroyers torping it was flat out embarrassing). Is there a way to host private rooms like in tanks? I might pop on later today and try to grab some people to do some experimentation.

Y'all aren't leading enough.

That, or you're launching torps at ships that are moving away from you. It's easy as hell to for them to dodge that.

Anyways I beat the game, guess I'm done with it all.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 5, 2015

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
What I've found useful to do with torps is boxing the enemy in by shooting just 2 or 3 torps at first around them. Best case is they spot the "safe zone" and slow down to dogde into it and thats when you barf the rest of your load. Really anytime you can force your target to slow down is good. Some times just making someone slow down for a few seconds means that a friendly BB has a chance to blow them to smithereens.

Had a funny thing happen when I was playing a sub, an enemy DD was almost on top of me, but I managed to dodge by slowing down and turning hard, he overshot. What followed was me going in a slow circle with the DD constantly overshooting his turns until a friendly BB took notice and sunk him with 1 salvo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Besides the Improved Rangefinder (+400 scout range) what equipment would people recommending slapping on a Destroyer

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is really up to you at that point. I tend to use the faster torpedo reloader and increase frequency items. Turning faster never hurt no body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Do subs use sonar instead of radar to detect surface ships while submerged? Their radar seems pretty underwhelming, but I'm still being a nerd and trying to preserve my oxygen until something gets spotted/shoots at me.

• Locked thread