Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I love that this is a real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Some guy on BGG just put up a massive wargame auction and he has good prices on Burma/Hammer of the Scots...remain strong wallet, remain strong.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

T-Bone posted:

Some guy on BGG just put up a massive wargame auction and he has good prices on Burma/Hammer of the Scots...remain strong wallet, remain strong.

You better link, and link quick.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

COOL CORN posted:

You better link, and link quick.

Save me from me: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/199217/its-almost-all-gotta-go-auction-wargames-euros-ame

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Fat Samurai posted:

I love that this is a real thing.

My favorite little oddity about this game (perhaps except freeforn customizable pyrotechnical signals) is the idea of patrol missions. They're really kinda boring and not that fun, but that's just what an infantry company does half of the time, so why not just put a slice of life section in the campaign?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Pyrotechnics are one of my least favorite thing about the game, and 9 times out of 10 I would just leave them out. (LOL as if I'd played it 10 times)

There's something to be said for a game giving you boundaries, the open-endedness just adds to the confusion. "Here's some game pieces, make it all up yourself!" is a terrible game system.

I don't need to be talking about The Bad Game though, I've been doing so well keeping my blood pressure down with diet and exercise.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Oh come on, the "don't write a firework algorithm bro" boundaries are some of the few clearly defined rules in this game. They could probably print a shitload of tokens with various strict "advance to phase line A" style orders, but
A) It's a shitload of tokens, added fiddliness (just what this game needs). B) not preserving the Canon US Army Smoke Grenade Loadout is a crime against grogness.
C) You can truly adapt your plan to the particulars of terrain ahead, make your own sanity checks (everyone BUT mgs advance).
D) My immersion!

When you buy this again you should definitely try playing as an Action Point Wizard, making GBS threads out red balls of fire to launch massive assaults for little cost.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Pyrotechnics are one of my least favorite thing about the game, and 9 times out of 10 I would just leave them out. (LOL as if I'd played it 10 times)

There's something to be said for a game giving you boundaries, the open-endedness just adds to the confusion. "Here's some game pieces, make it all up yourself!" is a terrible game system.

I don't need to be talking about The Bad Game though, I've been doing so well keeping my blood pressure down with diet and exercise.

I ran some missions assigning commands to pyrotechnics as I needed them (don't judge me). After I said "this is useful" several times, the command was added to my repertoire and planned before the mission.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Imagine... Fields of Fire: Legacy.

Or, as an actually good idea, a Legacy game on 30 Years War

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Lichtenstein posted:

Or, as an actually good idea, a Legacy game on 30 Years War.

I think instructing players to burn the board could be a liability issue...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Well, Treviers was... interesting :shepicide:

Alright, a small AAR. First of all, the rulebook is loving funny as hell, and by funny, I mean that it literally misses out on some really important thing like, for example, when the game ends. Anyway, I moved out a single squad to a clear area, they couldn't find cover and suddenly an LMG appeared and I already had a casualty! Good start. This took about 45 minutes because I needed to check the rulebook for basically everything and nothing was really laid out that clearly. Finally I manage to set up a base of fire and advance against the LMG nest and take it out with some judicious use of mortars. I advance across and manage to get into contact with an HMG and an automatic squad, which again rip apart my squad with crossfire. But this time my 1st Platoon HQ has decided to become pin, a situation they will remain for like 5 turns, even when they don't have a VOF anymore (I assume that this is what happens because there is nothing about removing Pinned markers on units). Eventually I do actually manage to reach the objectives but two further squads basically create a killing ground at that objective. My Command and Control breaks down as my green CO HQ gets like 1 order per turn and I only just about hang on, having had like 5 casualties so far.

Overall I really liked it. It was really chaotic in both a good way and a bad way and even reading the rules did not help at all. It's by far the most frustrating and amazing game I've ever played.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

It's by far the most frustrating and amazing game I've ever played.

Now you understand.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Don't know if this has been posted but the game's page at GMT has updates rules, examples, walkthroughs etc. for download.

(Staring at my original version in the corner under dust has...well, I know...)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

War is hell. It doesn't end until you (the player) dies.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

(I assume that this is what happens because there is nothing about removing Pinned markers on units).

During the Combat Effects phase, as long as you aren't being shot at. It's... somewhere... in the rules.

Edit: 6.9 B. Pinned markers

Edit Edit: remember that you cannot use mortars while they are under cover.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 4, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The true Fields of Fire experience.

quote:

I moved out a single squad to a clear area (...) This took about 45 minutes because I needed to check the rulebook for basically everything and nothing was really laid out that clearly.
This also is the true Fields of Fire experience. It's hard to believe, but it gets better in that regard (after a few years spent in a Tibetan cloister). You should absolutely have the BGG forum open for your first few games.

quote:

It's by far the most frustrating and amazing game I've ever played.
It's one of those things one has to experience himself to truly understand.

Now do the Korea!

PS. Ben Hull is the David Lynch of wargaming.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

PS. Ben Hull is the David Lynch of wargaming.

This makes too much sense.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I honestly can say that I absolutely hate FoF for its very many, obvious faults and also love it because...hmmm.. I don't actually know why I love it. But I do.

Just to make sure that I'm doing it right, I have to check to hit every single unit on a card right?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It got you under its zone of control. :wink:

Yeah, a VOF inflicts a damage check on every counter on it (unless it's some funky poo poo like a Sniper!, or a grenade into a piece of cover.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I know someone did an AAR of this ages ago, does anyone have the link?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I did, but it's pretty deep in archives somewhere. BGG has a guy do watch-it-played style videos of going through Trevieres (remember to have youtube annotations turned on for the few inevitable rules fuckups the dude did).

[edit] AFAIR Fat Samurai tried too, but I went few turns further and sperged more on the rules.

[edit 2] Oh, AAR rather than LP. That's Cool Corn actually, but also 1-2 turns long before he sold the game. (Not really, he jumped to Korea and then went to a very dark place).

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 4, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also I know that most things firs automatically, but can you decide not to fire LMGs/HMGs?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Nope. To preserve ammo, either keep them behind the frontline until ready, or keep a Bad Lieutenant ready to give them stern looks (spotting enemies is not a thing, because they usually always spawn unspotted).

[edit] On second thought, I think they'd actually re-engage immediately, so just keep them in the back until you clear a nice vantage point and make sure you're set up in a way you're not wasting ammo by firing from multiple MGs to a single target.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 4, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jesus loving Christ this game. At least it accurately reflects the chaos of war because two or three times I was saying "I don't know what the gently caress is going on!"

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 23, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Is this because the rules are complex, poorly written, or both?
Both. The game is really good but it's one of the most confusing games I've played in a while, and I'm used to complex games.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

And thus the cycle of FoF begins anew.

Maybe try a patrol mission? They're small.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

One hing that I really appreciate about the game is the command and control element. It foes it very well I must admit.

Edit: I don't honestly know if a rules reorganise would help or not. There's a lot of complexity born just out of the AI, the way fire is directed etc.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Is this because the rules are complex, poorly written, or both?

The trouble with FoF is that it is legit a very fresh, adventurous design that does everything in its own way and there's really little to none mechanical experience one could bring from other wargames. It is also quite complex in a groggy way - the base system is really eurogame-simple, but there's a LOT of caveats bolted on top of it in the name of realism.

As you might imagine, these factors combine greatly with a rulebook written so badly it would make tic tac toe confusing. We're talking Arkham Horror levels.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The problem with the original rulebook at least is that it uses very fuzzy writing (the best example is the sniper rules). There's a lot that the writer just expects you to know without making it clear what you should ACTUALLY know.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Well, it certainly doesn't sound like anything I'd want to try and tackle

Neither do the game's fans!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I was wondering why I gave up on FoF so I looked in my email for an old conversation. Apparently I had a German squad spawn on the same card as on of my squads (I don't know if this is even possible, I might have screwed something up) and I couldn't figure out how to handle...pretty much anything about that situation. That was using the new rulebook and after watching the full hours long walkthrough.

It really felt like you could take an axe to the rules and still come out with 90% of the game intact but vastly more playable. Even just little poo poo like tracking ammo seemed pointless. I know ammo scarcity is a thing and should probably be modeled in the game but putting hash marks on a piece of paper is probably the lousiest way to do it. Make an ammo check with the deck or something. I wish GMT could have Chad Jensen and Bryan Collars going over every rulebook they put out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The game is expensive and hard to find, it has been pushed back in P500 for more than a year, the rulebook is poor, it takes multiple hours to do the simplest of missions, it is crushingly hard, it has a thousand counters each of which you might only use in a hedge case, everything goes wrong extremely quickly in a mission.

It's a good game :q:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Enemy squads popping up in a space where you have troops is possible and there is a case fof it both in the old and new rules. It's not where you would expect it to be though.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 5, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tekopo posted:

a thousand counters each of which you might only use in a hedge case

Try figuring out the church tower counter ;-*

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I tried vassal once and was dumb enough to start with Vietnam. Thanks to the YouTube tutorial, I was getting an okay grip on the first two turns. Then realized I had not only misread which direction to spawn an enemy in (in Vietnam you start in the middle card of a 5x5), I had placed it in an invalid space. Gave up, backed the P500.

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 5, 2015

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I've got both on p500. Someday.

I am still majorly sad about the Up Front KS that was a scam. I wanted that so bad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The General posted:

I've got both on p500. Someday.

I am still majorly sad about the Up Front KS that was a scam. I wanted that so bad :(

Wargame vault obtained rights to reprint in half a year ago, so you can get a print on demand copy if you want to. It was also embroiled in some legal troubles (Rodger MacGowan went "huh, why did no one tell me they're selling my copyrighted poo poo?") but it's apparently back up again so they sorted it out perhaps?