Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Going off observations it wouldn't surprise me that the only differences between housing and normal zones is that you have to have a dev kit to modify the latter and that you only have to load/queue up all of it's objects once since they're pretty much static (and quest stuff is instanced.)

Well, ignoring all the terrain itself, objects in normal zones yeah. Its possible terrain uses some kind of system like that but very unlikely.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The data needed for each individual object at minimum is pretty small, just an x/y/z set of coordinates, an n degree turn, respective flags for the object being wall, floor or table mounted and if they have an on/off state (for lamps and such.) Oh and what the object is so that the right graphics calls go through. That'll be under or around a kb. Even multiplied for a maximum object'd ward that's nothing by today's internet standards but it adds up server-side which has to store and keep that data up to date all the time.

Well that's... kinda oversimplifying. A lot. And doesn't entirely make sense.

Like Boten Anna already pointed out (and I reached the same at the same time) its more of a database computational problem. There's issues with a lot of different aspects of it. I mean what you're saying, that its nothing for the internet but adds up server-side... server hard drive space is much bigger than your pipe bandwidth. I don't follow you. Yeah the data has to be kept up to date but that's not really a problem so much. And you've gotta send that data to all the connected clients at the same time. The real problem is you're sending different sub-sets of the data to different clients, and you have to not only query all that data from the disk but calculate which to send where, which adds up.

I wonder if they're able to break off districts into other physical servers, or if its just like one server for all the districts and one server for the main game world or how its partitioned. Not much point in speculating if we don't have more information though.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Terrain is terrain and doesn't change anywhere near as often as objects do. Heck it's really obvious where Alexander is going to take his next step just flying over the Hinterlands.

Zaphod42 posted:

Like Boten Anna already pointed out (and I reached the same at the same time) its more of a database computational problem.
That's what I meant by keeping it up to date (on top of the whole parsing issue.) Yes it's super simplistic but it's how I would do the data storage aspect of it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Boten Anna posted:

I'm a software developer too and I know testing is by no means automatic or easy but it really seems like a halfway decent unit test on the duty finder queue would be something they'd have, with either random data that'd definitely encounter a 3 + 2 scenario or data based off of a live capture, as it'd otherwise be pretty hard to tell if it works at all even in a test environment. Apparently they either don't or the unit tests aren't very good, like the sample data doesn't include preformed parties or something.

They made it sound like a 3+2 queue wouldn't always gently caress it up, it'd only happen under certain edge cases. I could see them only bothering to test common cases.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
can we please get back to whining about diadem

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Why would we talk about dead content?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Oh my gosh, people talking about tech. How horrifying

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

I'm just waiting for the announcement that Atma will be a low chance drop from Diadem.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Collect 50 Allagan tomelith atma from Seal Rock.

My dream.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Wait, no - 50 Verminion atma.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Atma can only be obtained by fishing in Diadem, the entire group can roll on it. 200 is required.

New Diadem feature! Fishing can very rarely (100%) summon a meteor on your current position.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Atma drops from Alexander and Second Coil Savage, but only when Minimum iLvl is set.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Doing FATEs in low-level zones has a small chance to drop atma.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Chyea posted:

Doing FATEs in low-level zones has a small chance to drop atma.

:golfclap:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
All Tower of Power, all the time.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Chyea posted:

Wait, no - 50 Verminion atma.

don't even joke :(

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
I hope the first step really is the diadem pvp vermillion hellgrind step because this is the step we skip by having a 2.x relic.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
That queue thing is a relief because I had issues with doing daily roulettes. Wondered why.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Relief, huh?

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/91068c34949bd9cf3765d65e3798de77fe32a34e

they found even more poo poo wrong with it

quote:

Since this issue affecting Duty Roulettes in the current open Worlds occurs when a pre-formed party queues for the Duty Roulette, we ask that you please queue in as a solo player or in a 4-player (8-player) party during this weekend, especially at peak times. This will keep the Duty Finder Roulette running smoothly, without congestion.

good luck with that when your player based doesn't even read patch notes

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

ilifinicus posted:

Relief, huh?

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/91068c34949bd9cf3765d65e3798de77fe32a34e

Oh man, I thought goons were just joking about the incomplete groups breaking roulettes.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

kafziel posted:

I agree with all of this but don't really see how adding more wards, or more subdivisions within wards, makes that significantly worse. You'd need more hardware because you're running more instances but that seems like linear scaling?

Yeah speculation there requires more intimate knowledge of what they're doing and how it all works than we really have. There may be other barriers as well to where it's really not just a throw-more-servers-at-it-for-more-houses thing. Beyond the cash expense, it's very possible that the housing database is all one big database and adding more wards means exponential scaling, or it may even be (and knowing SE this is sadly more likely than you might think) a UI issue, where they can't figure out a way to make an interface that allows access to more wards without either being confusing or overwhelming the PS3's roughly-toaster-slash-pentium-3 equivalent processor core (or fraction thereof) that handles the UI.

They may also be unwilling to invest in more wards for the current zones when they're planning on additional ones, so that there's demand for the new zone. This may also be tied up in aforementioned problems as well, as adding a new housing zone may be linear as far as backend power required (perhaps, say, the aforementioned all-in-one database is at least split up by the three areas) and creating new artwork for the housing zones is less expensive than expanding the current ones, as well as a much more impressive bullet point on the patch notes.

vOv posted:

They made it sound like a 3+2 queue wouldn't always gently caress it up, it'd only happen under certain edge cases. I could see them only bothering to test common cases.

Yeah that's extremely likely. The thing ilfinicus linked sounds like they might be doing what I speculated and are actually building a proper test environment for their queues, as (especially in XI) SE has definitely tested poo poo like this on live before instead of testing it internally first. It's actually kind of unprecedented for them to admit there's an intermediate build and that they're actually testing it and it didn't work as well as they hoped :v:

Robo Reagan posted:

youre right im sure they know plenty of stuff about the particulars of the source code, which came from a chinese mmo mill hell i dont see why SE doesnt just hire goons to do all their coding

horsebirds

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Oh my goodness. I took a look at 3.1 patch since I'm looking to come back, and what do I find? The 1.0 gathering system is now a Gold Saucer mini-game. Nothing is wasted, not even garbage assets! This is what you call making a purse out of a sow's ear.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ilifinicus posted:

Relief, huh?

Wow. "Please don't party with your spouse/SO and pray you end up grouped together"?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Wow. "Please don't party with your spouse/SO and pray you end up grouped together"?

Good. Any time I see people flirting in duty finder I want to stab myself in the eyes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Eternal Bond partners aren't real spouses or SOs.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I always ask my FC if anybody wants to come with me on roulettes since I'm a tank so my queue is fast and I hate queuing alone with three strangers.

Maybe I'll be taking a break for a while.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

jwang posted:

Oh my goodness. I took a look at 3.1 patch since I'm looking to come back, and what do I find? The 1.0 gathering system is now a Gold Saucer mini-game. Nothing is wasted, not even garbage assets! This is what you call making a purse out of a sow's ear.

I don't understand the mining one at all, but the botany one owns

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

I always ask my FC if anybody wants to come with me on roulettes since I'm a tank so my queue is fast and I hate queuing alone with three strangers.

Maybe I'll be taking a break for a while.

I haven't been able to play much the past couple of weeks but doesn't full premades work fine? If so just fill the party instead of bringing one person. Especially for exdr, not too hard to get 3 other goons.

Unless you're not an excaligoon in which case vOv. Party finder is another solution.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Niton posted:

They're the same thing, but viewed at different angles. Mining gives you fewer swings, so it is worse.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Can someone tell me what bard life is like at higher levels and endgame?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Niton posted:

They're the same thing, only instead of an easy to see point in botany you get an enlarging/constricting circle. You don't aim for the smallest area with mining you aim for whatever area the items in (much like for the botany game you don't aim straight on unless the item's there.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah speculation there requires more intimate knowledge of what they're doing and how it all works than we really have. There may be other barriers as well to where it's really not just a throw-more-servers-at-it-for-more-houses thing. Beyond the cash expense, it's very possible that the housing database is all one big database and adding more wards means exponential scaling, or it may even be (and knowing SE this is sadly more likely than you might think) a UI issue, where they can't figure out a way to make an interface that allows access to more wards without either being confusing or overwhelming the PS3's roughly-toaster-slash-pentium-3 equivalent processor core (or fraction thereof) that handles the UI.

That's my worry, that its actually just one single server handling all the housing and that's why they can't just scale it easily. I mean still probably one housing server per game server, but still. That means adding more districts is a problem.

As long as the housing server and the game server are seperate physical machines they should be able to use the same tech to hop players over to a different server and they could work on breaking districts into different physical machines. But even then it requires custom work and testing, but its something that they should absolutely do. WoW used to be all different servers and then they put a ton of work into designing a system where a player on any server could party up with a player on any other server and one would get temporarily moved to the other. No doubt that takes a bunch of work, but the payoff is huge both for your players' experience and for your ability to manage your own server infrastructure. Something they should have thought about while they were designing it in the first place but oh well. Or maybe its even worse and they're really just like one physical server per game server period? In which case no wonder they're totally hosed.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

blablablabla posted:

Can someone tell me what bard life is like at higher levels and endgame?

Honestly not much different than pre50 except you'll be reduced down to only weaving one oGCD skill between your shots. oGCD priority remains basically the same except you'll want to slot Empyreal Arrow in there, and dot maintenance becomes way easier.

Some people are hugely vocal about mobility loss from wanderers minuet but the class is still highly mobile once you learn the ins and outs of cast times and server states. People who played Black Mage are already used to this so it's more of the same there.

Oh yeah, you also get an ability that'll mostly be used to give Warriors a free pass on getting pacification from Berserk, but it's honestly not worth tanking your own DPS to maintain that midfight. Really good to use on the pull though.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 5, 2015

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Alright! I've put in maybe 10 hours worth of gameplay total since I picked this up for PS4, and I thought I'd have a lot rougher of a time with using a controller. I was telling myself "I could never play FFXIV on a controller" after playing it on PC.

Let me tell you, I loving love using the dual shock controller. It feels beautiful. My only gripe is setting up the different options and configuring the UI to the way I like it took a while, but otherwise the controls for PS4 are phenomenal.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
This FFXI event is great. I love how the first part has you sparring with aquatic wildlife because it is the easiest way to improve you. It's only made better because it's also where you fight Cancer, which gives you the crab mini-pet that also takes a potshot at old school XI grinding.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

That's my worry, that its actually just one single server handling all the housing and that's why they can't just scale it easily. I mean still probably one housing server per game server, but still. That means adding more districts is a problem.

As long as the housing server and the game server are seperate physical machines they should be able to use the same tech to hop players over to a different server and they could work on breaking districts into different physical machines. But even then it requires custom work and testing, but its something that they should absolutely do. WoW used to be all different servers and then they put a ton of work into designing a system where a player on any server could party up with a player on any other server and one would get temporarily moved to the other. No doubt that takes a bunch of work, but the payoff is huge both for your players' experience and for your ability to manage your own server infrastructure. Something they should have thought about while they were designing it in the first place but oh well. Or maybe its even worse and they're really just like one physical server per game server period? In which case no wonder they're totally hosed.

They actually said that they did think about this kind of thing in the first place, and I think even that they managed to get some backend hooks in, but the amount of work it was to do something like this versus how much time they had to rewrite the game from scratch left it on the "do way later" pile. As unfortunate as it is, it makes sense that they just didn't have the time (or expertise, really, a lot of the coding team is still from XI and 1.0 after all) to do a fundamentally new and different server model. I do hope they revisit this but it seems like it's right up there with addons and letting you queue with a chocobo in your party in the "who knows if they'll ever be willing to get around to this at this point honestly" pile.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Skaw posted:

Honestly not much different than pre50 except you'll be reduced down to only weaving one oGCD skill between your shots. oGCD priority remains basically the same except you'll want to slot Empyreal Arrow in there, and dot maintenance becomes way easier.

Some people are hugely vocal about mobility loss from wanderers minuet but the class is still highly mobile once you learn the ins and outs of cast times and server states. People who played Black Mage are already used to this so it's more of the same there.

Oh yeah, you also get an ability that'll mostly be used to give Warriors a free pass on getting pacification from Berserk, but it's honestly not worth tanking your own DPS to maintain that midfight. Really good to use on the pull though.

It doesn't really work on pull even because you don't want to pop berserk until you have 4 stacks already.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Wow sweet reddit pic bro. Awesome post!

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Shameless plug, but I think I have a good idea. I'd like a skywatcher as an outdoor fixture for player estates, obtainable as a fishing achievement reward. I posted it on the official forums. If you like it, please log in with your character and up-vote it so maybe it can be seen by devs and not die.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/134353-Housing-Ideas-and-Feature-Requests?p=3465254&posted=1#post3465254

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Belzac posted:

Wow sweet reddit pic bro. Awesome post!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

• Locked thread