Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012

zoux posted:

Speaking of, Guggenheim's trolling his followers.

In fairness that's because that moment was totally loving rad.

Whereas Ollie's secret son is poison to a show like this. It can't possibly add anything to the drama. His son is too young to figure into the action-y A-plots. It doesn't really relate to Oliver's core set of problems or characterisation. And so it's just a soap opera excuse for more arguments with Felicity and two new people to inevitably be kidnapped. As soon as they introduced this plot thread, it was always going to highlight the WORST aspects of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The problem with killing the baby mama is Oliver would have to take in William, and there's a 1000% percent chance adding a kid to the cast would make the show worse.

And killing William would be Jessica Jones-level hosed. I don't think this is the show to be doing that kind of story.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just kill Felicity. Problem solved!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hcreight posted:

The problem with killing the baby mama is Oliver would have to take in William, and there's a 1000% percent chance adding a kid to the cast would make the show worse.

And killing William would be Jessica Jones-level hosed. I don't think this is the show to be doing that kind of story.

The show's basically a soap opera anyway. Just have the kid magically be 17 after the season break.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Let Barry kill people again or he kills relationships.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Hypocrisy posted:

Let Barry kill people again or he kills relationships.

Joe already put a bullett into Barry's with Patty by retardedly kicking her out while E2 Wells lay dying without any explanation. Not like cops have to file paperwork when they discharge their firearms and account for their bulletts!

Edit This isn't the Flash thread :psyduck:
I'm pleased my emotionally hardening a friend to accept Felicity's inevitable death will pay off. I mean, she's weeping in a ball of denial but it would be far worse if I hadn't constant told her Felicity will be murdered this episode for two years in a row.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 4, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh hey a trailer for next week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6y3BUKoiBs

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

hcreight posted:

They send the kid to be taken care of by the housekeeper who was in season 1 and never mentioned again. Kid is also never mentioned again. Problem solved.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wonder, could they have captured Savage and let Thea and Sara just stab the gently caress out of him whenever they got the murder-shakes? Or does the person have to really die for it to give them their fix?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

You're not allowed to profit from criminal ventures or something.

Actually, if some company wants to make a set of action figures for the entire rogues gallery, and Captain Cold wants a cut, all he has to do is ask. Son of Sam laws like that have been found unconstitutional; it's only the direct spoils of the crime (e.g. the money from insurance or a will that you murdered for) that can be barred. Writing a book (or making action figures, by extrapolation) would not fall under such legal principle. :eng101:

Knew that class would come in handy!

fake edit: This is of course a rogue we're talking about. The plastic is probably stolen, on principle.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Dexo posted:

Legends of Tomorrow Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7LlmaFg0lw

All of the budgets went to this show lol.

I am insanely down with this and Rory getting to be the not-Doctor and fly the not-TARDIS, he even has a lever-thing to pull to timetravel!

Love me some Arthur Darvill :getin:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Be kind of neat if they could get Tennant or Smith to cameo as another Time Master. Bonus points if it's the former and they somehow work Barrowman into the same scene for a "He looks familiar... hmm... can't place him" gag.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

yeah even just a little warp distortion effect like an exaggerated heat distortion would add a lot to it, but then you ramp up shot complexity. Like it looks great when she's singled out in a scene but using it in a crowd now means you have to roto some guys so the wave goes "in between" the crowd and not over top of everything and you just increased VFX time quite a bit for...not much flair. I don't think there's much you can do for that effect practically.

The original handheld device was way better because it removed the whole 'Canary needs to open her mouth like she's screaming even though this is a sonic blaster thing' deal.

I thought the episode was fine excepting the Felicity drama which really seems forced back in.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Gaz-L posted:

Be kind of neat if they could get Tennant or Smith to cameo as another Time Master. Bonus points if it's the former and they somehow work Barrowman into the same scene for a "He looks familiar... hmm... can't place him" gag.

I wouldn't go for the familiar looking gag. Gotta be more meta, nerds like meta.

"OHHHH HEY! You look like youre going through a goth phase. Good for you."

To which Barrowman just squints his eyes and continues with a stern disapproving yet slightly confused look.

e;
And this means the majority of the legends of tomorrow cast must be in the Music Meister Christmas Special. Which I know we all want to happen.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 4, 2015

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Man they're gonna fridge the gently caress out of Felicity aren't they.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

yeah even just a little warp distortion effect like an exaggerated heat distortion would add a lot to it, but then you ramp up shot complexity. Like it looks great when she's singled out in a scene but using it in a crowd now means you have to roto some guys so the wave goes "in between" the crowd and not over top of everything and you just increased VFX time quite a bit for...not much flair. I don't think there's much you can do for that effect practically.

Hell I'd settle from some AoS shampoo commercial slow-mo

Amazing

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

hcreight posted:

I don't think the chance of the show getting worse is all that high. Or even possible.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

:stare:

Crossover episodes were good and Savage destroying them all the first time was hilarious.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

hcreight posted:

I take it you haven't been introduced to Genghis Clarke.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Jesus christ, Felicity dying would not be a fridge. As Felicity has had a purpose in the series story that wasn't just "going to die"

It is possible to kill a female in fiction without it being a fridge for christ sakes.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

What is a fridge?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Something that 97% of the so called "poor" own.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Refrigerators

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Dexo posted:

Jesus christ, Felicity dying would not be a fridge. As Felicity has had a purpose in the series story that wasn't just "going to die"

It is possible to kill a female in fiction without it being a fridge for christ sakes.

But if her death is only to advance the plot of Green Arrow against whoever killed her than it would be fridging. The first female Robin was a fleshed out character but her death is still considered a fridging because it was only done to motivate Batman.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Burning_Monk posted:

But if her death is only to advance the plot of Green Arrow against whoever killed her than it would be fridging. The first female Robin was a fleshed out character but her death is still considered a fridging because it was only done to motivate Batman.

And because of how unnecessarily brutal it was. And then DC editorial IIRC essentially disavowed any acknowledgement of her being a Robin .

Killing someone close to the hero has been around since the beginning of fiction. It's cliche sure, but it's not some huge sin to kill off a female character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Burning_Monk posted:

Her existence is only to advance the plot of Green Arrow.

A character involved in the plot being killed should not be considered fridging. Kyle Rayner's girlfriend was just a side character to flesh him out. She wasn't involved in his Green Lantern activities. Felicity is part of Team Arrow. She's obviously at less risk than the others but the team's enemies are her enemies too.

Or a recent example, I wouldn't even call this week's SHIELD fridging. It was setup in advance, Ward had mentioned that he was going to do it a half dozen times. It wasn't only to motivate Coulson.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 4, 2015

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

TyrantWD posted:

I take it you haven't been introduced to Genghis Clarke.

CW doesn't give a gently caress about killing kids. The 100 proves that. So does other poo poo, like Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, and the Originals.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xtanstic posted:

Hell I'd settle from some AoS shampoo commercial slow-mo

:eyepop: welp that scene is ruined now haha

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Pillowpants posted:

The Grave is the baby mama and Oliver's son becomes the Robin to Oliver's batman after a huge time jump between seasons.

...and then we'll have flashbacks to the time in between then and now where him and felicity are having zany child-rearing and League of Assassins™ babysitter hijinks.

...and then we'll have flashbacks in THOSE flashbacks back to his time on the island where he inexplicably met guest star of the week [x].

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Burning_Monk posted:

Her death was also due to a close friend of Bruce letting her die to teach him a lesson.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

bobkatt013 posted:

Her death was also due to a close friend of Bruce letting her die to teach him a lesson.

I'm still mad they did that to Leslie Thompkins.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Dexo posted:

Killing someone close to the hero has been around since the beginning of fiction. It's cliche sure, but it's not some huge sin to kill off a female character.
The fact that it's a cliche, the fact that it happens so disproportionately moreso to female characters than male characters, the fact that even the fridging of male characters is often treated differently and more heroically than with female characters, makes these instances worth examining and criticizing. Unless we think for some reason that male and female characters are totally treated the same now and that sexism in media is over.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bad Moon posted:

I'm still mad they did that to Leslie Thompkins.

Do not worry it ended up being a lie as it was to teach Bruce a lesson about lets say leaving a note.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

BrianWilly posted:

The fact that it's a cliche, the fact that it happens so disproportionately moreso to female characters than male characters, the fact that even the fridging of male characters is often treated differently and more heroically than with female characters, makes these instances worth examining and criticizing.

Take it to your tumblr then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The reason is easy. Most stories are about men. The reason for that is easy too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Judging from the trailer I don't think Felicity gets fridged.

looks more like a walk-in supermarket freezer

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Judging from the trailer I don't think Felicity gets fridged.

looks more like a walk-in supermarket freezer

I doubt she will either. How will they milk the false drama of Ollie keeping a pointless secret from his girlfriend instead of a less pointless one from his ex/babymama?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dexo posted:

And because of how unnecessarily brutal it was. And then DC editorial IIRC essentially disavowed any acknowledgement of her being a Robin .

That denial was at least overturned eventually

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Thwomp posted:

So Ollie's kid is definitely in the grave now, right? This'll be why Barry is there and will be the time travel penalty for making Central City not a crater.

Yeah, kid's dead. Calling it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Ok whatever you guys are looking at I don't see it.

• Locked thread