Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
This is the official Reiza server schedule.
http://www.racedepartment.com/pages/Reiza-Official-Server-Schedule/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Shine posted:

Somebody stream this, please!

we're actually good at racing

source: the last gooncar iracing race, which was genuinely one of the best races i've ever had

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

I think I'm gonna jump on and do some races. I'm Sigma One on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/SigOne

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Well Sunday is a long gooncar race, does anyone even want to race something else before that? If yes, how about 18:00 - 02:00 GMT: OPALA 86 at Jacarepagua Historic?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Once we are done with winter league we can grab a GSCE server and see if it is as much of a pain in the dick as the Assetto Corsa server was, but I doubt it!

http://www.hostilecontact.com/game-stock-car/

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

IceAgeComing posted:

we're actually good at racing

That's why I hope somebody streams it!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

i'd be up for pre-gooncar fun although i've never driven the opala or classic rio so i'll probably either get lost or spend all race spinning in the grass. A Formula Vee series on some of the shorter tracks might be a fun thing to try out...

someone has streamed gooncar before although he's not been around for a few weeks. there are highlights in the iracing thread for most of the races if you're interested although not for new hampshire sadly despite that us being our best race - there definitely are for Iowa which was almost as good and I finished second after half the field forgot to put fuel in before the race, plus Concord which was... more what you would expect to happen when you get a bunch of goons to race. I've been meaning to clip out my eighth to third in one lap because I thought it made me actually look much better than I actually am: I can't quite figure out how to though.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Now that i have figured out how to stream iracing, i can only say "remind me"

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

osker posted:

Once we are done with winter league we can grab a GSCE server and see if it is as much of a pain in the dick as the Assetto Corsa server was, but I doubt it!

http://www.hostilecontact.com/game-stock-car/

I'd chip in for that. Sooner rather than later though, I'll be traveling most of spring next year.

Edit:
In rF2 Spa news, finally the AI plays it cool so of course I crash myself on lap 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww3X72wTOf0. The Celica is really fun, get it if you have rF2.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 5, 2015

yuza
Apr 26, 2007
Fun Shoe

Norns posted:

Any of you guys use a projector for your sim setup? I'm considering some options, and have the wall space.

I use one and I love it. Though I found that to feel comfortable my eyeline should be at or a bit above the center of the screen, which might be challenging with a big (say 100 inches) screen. I solved it by placing the screen pretty low and building a playseat that's raised off the floor. Might not work so well with a wheelstand. Never had problems with lag. The immersion is worlds apart from the monitor I used before. Can't say how it compares to three monitor setup, never had a chance to try one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

1968 Peugeot 504 mod for AC, an almighty top speed of 103mph and christ is this thing fun to drag around the Nordschleife, feels super understeery but the slow speed means you can take a lot of corners flat out. Still took about 14 minutes round the tourist layout though. I love these lovely old cars and I hope people never stop making mods for them.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I just came across this while looking up GSCE hosting options: http://www.race2play.com/
It is kind of like CEVO/FaceIt pug racing for other sims. Unfortunately, one-off events on short notice is not a possible thing without paying something like 12bux a month. However, their league thing seems cool if we can get good time slots for their limited server farm.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

I'd chip in for that. Sooner rather than later though, I'll be traveling most of spring next year.

Edit:
In rF2 Spa news, finally the AI plays it cool so of course I crash myself on lap 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww3X72wTOf0. The Celica is really fun, get it if you have rF2.

lol i followed the link to the 87 version on the isi forums or some poo poo and it reminded me why i loving hate people involved in modding at all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OhsH posted:

lol i followed the link to the 87 version on the isi forums or some poo poo and it reminded me why i loving hate people involved in modding at all.

At this point I'm surprised the rF2 playerbase isn't just accepting whatever it can get.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

OhsH posted:

I'm sorry you had to see that. I do think the majority of modders are good people making cool stuff though, just like with anything else the loud ones are idiots.

Modding drama aside, the 86 version is more fun.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

I'm sorry you had to see that. I do think the majority of modders are good people making cool stuff though, just like with anything else the loud ones are idiots.

Modding drama aside, the 86 version is more fun.

tbh i loving love seeing people get defensive over other peoples work when if nobody made rfactor1/2 in the first place none of these mods would even actually be a thing.

like loving lol just one day i want assetto corsa/rfactor2 to just be like "you know what gently caress off no more mods for our products, unless you are willing to pay a dev fee"

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Imagine a world, where your only source of self-esteem is white-knighting derivative work on a video game. Gentlemen racers have a strict Bushido code.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Your best bet is to just release a mod without a name, without a forum, so you never have to hear whiny babies whine about a wing is 1 degree off from the real world design, or that livery color is off by an inch.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

njsykora posted:

1968 Peugeot 504 mod for AC, an almighty top speed of 103mph and christ is this thing fun to drag around the Nordschleife, feels super understeery but the slow speed means you can take a lot of corners flat out. Still took about 14 minutes round the tourist layout though. I love these lovely old cars and I hope people never stop making mods for them.

Oh gently caress yeah! Old slow cars best cars.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Oh gently caress yeah! Old slow cars best cars.

Speaking of old cars, that Dave Kaemmer video about GPL and the Nordschleife got me to take the Lotus 49 in AC out there. I have never felt anything like that in a videogame before, was shaking when I eventually stopped. I 100% get now why people love old F1 cars so much.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

njsykora posted:

Speaking of old cars, that Dave Kaemmer video about GPL and the Nordschleife got me to take the Lotus 49 in AC out there. I have never felt anything like that in a videogame before, was shaking when I eventually stopped. I 100% get now why people love old F1 cars so much.

Yep. Lotus 49 in particular is a blast.

Now do it in Project Cars in a thunderstorm!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

drat you're making me want to try and find a way to get gpl to work on windows 10

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Hi, if you plan on doing SCE today please get in the #racinggoons irc so we can actually figure poo poo out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

drat you're making me want to try and find a way to get gpl to work on windows 10

It's super easy if you use the installer and patch. I used that to get it installed on my PC and haven't had many problems. Anti-aliasing doesn't work though so navigating the menus is a bit tricky.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

if anyone's up for stock car extreme fun then some of us will be in Reiza official 3 after it switches cars to the Opala (that's 5pm UK time, mid-day EST I *think*)

e: scratch that, its a crap car then - we're going at 6pm GMT/1pm EST unless something good appears before

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 6, 2015

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Stock Car Extreme: game "gooncar2" - 86 Opala at new Interlagos. Get in

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Anybody streaming?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

no because there were only like three of us, and one of those was me apparently glitching around twenty feet above the track because i tried racing with the beta and not the standard version

i'm sure there are still a few people in the game though

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Once I got it set up correctly it worked fine. Ping to the US around 100, EU around 50. If there's interest we can try again next weekend, but I'd be nice to have some more people.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
http://www.twitch.tv/sa_ohsh it is that time.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

mission: wreck ohsh on lap 1 and thus ruin the stream for the viewer

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Which PC racing sim is best for production cars? I'm enjoying the hell out of R3E, but it'd be cool to race with production Celicas, 300ZX's, etc.

IceAgeComing posted:

mission: wreck ohsh on lap 1 and thus ruin the stream for the viewer

Rude.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Shine posted:

Which PC racing sim is best for production cars? I'm enjoying the hell out of R3E, but it'd be cool to race with production Celicas, 300ZX's, etc.

Assetto Corsa without question, most of the cars in that game are the normal road cars. Plus most of the actual race cars have their production counterpart as well.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

njsykora posted:

Assetto Corsa without question, most of the cars in that game are the normal road cars. Plus most of the actual race cars have their production counterpart as well.

Project Cars and AC were going to be my answer.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Thanks! Both of those games look gorgeous. I'll probably get PC first since it looks like it has more "game" to it (not surprising, since it's also on consoles).

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

njsykora posted:

Thanks for pointing that out, it's amazing. On the subject on AC mods, Bridgehampton is fantastic, in terms of quality I could see Kunos picking it up like they did Zandvoort. Barbagallo and Longford are great too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dirt Rally hit v1.0 meaning it's now a proper release. Hits consoles in April.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

Dirt Rally hit v1.0 meaning it's now a proper release. Hits consoles in April.
It's come a long way in Early Access and was good from the start. Would highly recommend watching for a release date to console gamers; unless rally racing literally killed your father, I assume you already have it if you are on PC.* :colbert:

* But seriously, if you have any interest in rally it's great. Might be worth waiting till the Steam winter sale if you really didn't already pick it up though because I think it's been on sale for most Steam sales and would assume official release doesn't change that.

GhostDog posted:

Thanks for pointing that out, it's amazing. On the subject on AC mods, Bridgehampton is fantastic, in terms of quality I could see Kunos picking it up like they did Zandvoort. Barbagallo and Longford are great too.
Looks like a pretty cool track from the video; seems a shame it was destroyed for a golf course.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gamesplanet have stopped selling RBR, so that's gonna have to change to only available used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Can anybody recommend a good book/website/video series for going from "I know how to drive" to "I know how to race"? Basically some sort of reference material to help me learn and practice racing skills more effectively instead of just kinda winging it and picking up a tip or two here and there.

I don't know if this random book is any good, but its pitch is the sort of thing I'm looking for.

• Locked thread