Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Getting some errors about not being able to "merge changes" pretty frequently in this version, happens when trying to open a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hard to replicate reliably but I'll try to explain it:

When I select text on the screen, the magnifier will shoot straight down and off screen when I release my finger. If the context menu disappears there's no way to retrieve it and I keep seeing the magnifier appear and shoot straight down and off the screen.

Navigating to a new page with text highlighted seems to drag the selection cursor along the left side. You can see the left side of the "scroll" on the top left next to the Cancel in this screenshot.

Minor.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is there any reason why gifs take way longer to load now then they used to? Most of the time I click on one to load it, I end up just moving on in the thread because it's taking too long to load.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So... Uh... GIF detection is a bit overeager for certain contexts.

(None of these are actually animated)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's a good solution, but it does really hamper that particular thread.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, there's no way to tell that it's not animated, really. Tapping should make the overlay go away, though.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Could you simply make the overlay optional? I really wouldn't care about missing the occasional animation because I didn't think of tapping on an image, versus having an intrusive overlay everywhere or a bunch of animations I didn't want to see.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Soricidus posted:

Could you simply make the overlay optional? I really wouldn't care about missing the occasional animation because I didn't think of tapping on an image, versus having an intrusive overlay everywhere or a bunch of animations I didn't want to see.

I think we'd want to show the overlay when it's loading at least. Having the overlay fade out quickly when scroll is done, or something similar, might make it less intrusive too.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
This was brought up maaaany moons ago, maybe even for the old app, but would it be possible to have the screen flip upside down in portrait mode when I turn my phone? I just want to try and save my poor headphones cord. Thanks.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Is there going to be 3D Touch on web links in a future release?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

This was brought up maaaany moons ago, maybe even for the old app, but would it be possible to have the screen flip upside down in portrait mode when I turn my phone? I just want to try and save my poor headphones cord. Thanks.

Yeah this would be great, for the power cord too.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Do you have an example of an app which supports upside down use on an iPhone?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

carry on then posted:

Just checked and the Amazon Kindle app supports this.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

carry on then posted:

Quick check: Downcast. Safe Solitaire. Bejewelled used to, but they totally reworked the whole game and now it doesn't.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
It's a conspiracy by apple to make people have to keep buying new charger cables every time they use their phone plugged in in bed.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I've been having a problem lately where my thread view's getting all screwed up. Posts are replaced by blank space and chunks of posts are randomly re-rendered in odd spots, though I can scroll through it all. Usually means the app is about to crash too, and delete/reinstall didn't do anything. Any ideas?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Since last night's forum migration thing, I've been getting duplicated bookmarks in my bookmark menu, and only one leads to the proper thread; the other leads to something else at random from my bookmarks menu. The top option seems to be the "correct" one a majority of the time, but this is not constant.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think that's a long-standing bug, actually.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Can 'pull to load next page' be a toggle in settings please I've jumped to the next page twice in literally the last 30 seconds before reading the last two posts on the page

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel like it's just more sensitive than it used to be.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is there a way to embed YouTube links like when you copy and paste on a browser

j. alfred moonrock
Nov 15, 2014
Bookmarks list won't refresh for me since yesterday. I get the 'busy' spiral animation above and below the list, and the one below just continues indefinitely.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Not sure if this is Awful's problem but it's odd behavior: if you tap on a YouTube link, open it in the app, full screen it, then directly come back to awful via the app switcher awful changes over to landscape display, and changes back to portrait if you leave the app and come back.

Latest awful latest iOS, iPhone 6.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
The app is great but I really really really hate that previous posts on a page aren't shown without clicking on the 'previous posts' button. It's really awful.

otherwise its a good experience. Is this open source in any way? I would contribute fixes from time to time.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

The app is great but I really really really hate that previous posts on a page aren't shown without clicking on the 'previous posts' button. It's really awful.

otherwise its a good experience. Is this open source in any way? I would contribute fixes from time to time.

~*~All your wishes and dreams may be found in the OP.~*~

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

carry on then posted:

~*~All your wishes and dreams may be found in the OP.~*~

Man i was 100% sure I had checked and it and it was super old.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Man i was 100% sure I had checked and it and it was super old.

Super old but kept up to date, or at least the github link still works.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

When can we expect the 9.2 swipable Safari controller to be implemented? :v:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Coming here to complain that images that are also links like [url=anime.northkorea][img]weiners.jpg[/][/] work weird

fix my free app I don't not pay you to be lazy

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Bug(?): When you have Safari set as your default for opening clicked links, and you have a link to a forum thread, and you want to open it in Safari, you have to manually copy the link. Oversight I guess? Normally I'd always want to open forum links in Awful and I imagine so would everyone else, but it'd be nice if there could be a way to show the "Open in [default browser]" context option on forums links.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drunken officeparty posted:

Coming here to complain that images that are also links like [url=anime.northkorea][img]weiners.jpg[/][/] work weird

What do you mean by "weird"?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
edit: whoops, this is the apple thread.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 7, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
One feature I would enjoy would be to be able to hide boards in the main list. I just don't need quite a few of them cluttering things up.

Edit: I suppose I could just favorite everything but the garbage stuff but that seems like the long way around and it's a little finicky about not staying between logging out/in and retaining the spot in the list it was added in.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 7, 2015

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I went back a few pages and didnt see anything mentioned. Is there a way to make the drop down subforums nest again? They just drop straight down for me now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I seem to remember a discussion awhile back were it was decided that was preferable due to the limited horizontal space. Sub-sub forums like the board games subforum got truncated pretty badly or something.

Hmm, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe setting a slightly different background color or something could help. What does everyone think?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't know whether this is intended or fixable or even worth looking into since it only affects mods but: when you go to edit someone else's post and preview it, in the preview panel it shows up like its your post instead of the original author's.

I don't imagine much of anything mod specific is ever going to really natively work with Awful, is it. :(

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Fedule posted:

I don't know whether this is intended or fixable or even worth looking into since it only affects mods but: when you go to edit someone else's post and preview it, in the preview panel it shows up like its your post instead of the original author's.

I don't imagine much of anything mod specific is ever going to really natively work with Awful, is it. :(

I thought mods were heavily discouraged from using third party stuff to access the forums in case someone tried to steal their credentials and get into their account. If not, we could really use a mod tester to tell us about issues they see!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm the spearfishing attack aimed at high-value mod credentials.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

carry on then posted:

I thought mods were heavily discouraged from using third party stuff to access the forums in case someone tried to steal their credentials and get into their account. If not, we could really use a mod tester to tell us about issues they see!

Are you trying to steal my credentials? :v:

Seriously though. I don't know about Actually Testing but I can tell you how mod stuff works in Awful; pretty unremarkably, where it exists at all, which is almost never.

For example; editing. Awful already lets you edit your own posts, and mods editing other people's posts works - basically - natively; you see the edit option pop up when you hit the "..." button, just like with your own posts, you hit it, and up pops the form and it works exactly how you expect (but with the small caveat I mentioned above which I presume exists because the username/avatar preview when you preview posts is entirely an invention of Awful and I don't think it ever occurred when making that feature that anyone would edit a post other than the poster). I can't open/lock threads in Awful, though I don't think users can open/lock their own threads in Awful either.

On which note; all other Mod Buttons don't show up at all in Awful because - presumably - Awful doesn't know what to do with all these weird buttons that the forums keep sending it, so they're not scraped. So there's no gas/stick/punish/history buttons. And if there were, they'd all call for even more forms that Awful doesn't have.

Where things get really odd is if I try to use the Report Forum in Awful. But I won't go into that here because the Report Forum is one of the radium-est parts of the forums and, yeah, that one's probably a lost cause.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

If you have embedded image autoloading set "off", the new "freeze animated gifs till you click them" overlay never appears even after tapping the image URL to load it, and animated gifs stay frozen forever. :❄️:

Looks like you can fix it by enabling autoloading of gifs and then reloading the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

carry on then posted:

I seem to remember a discussion awhile back were it was decided that was preferable due to the limited horizontal space. Sub-sub forums like the board games subforum got truncated pretty badly or something.

Hmm, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe setting a slightly different background color or something could help. What does everyone think?

Yeah I think something to differentiate the subforums would be very nice. I really liked the nesting but a color difference or even just a small line indicator on the left side would make browsing to different forums way quicker for me.

• Locked thread