Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1854/Gary.Grigsbys.Operation.Torch.Tournament

quote:

The time to prove your skills on the battlefield has finally come!

We are setting up a great Gary Grigsby’s Operation Torch Tournament and we are inviting you all to take part in this event! Please note that the base game Gary Grigsby’s War in the West and the Operation Torch expansion are required for participation, as this tournament uses a scenario from Operation Torch.

The first round will start on December 14, 2015 so sign up and start practicing!

It would not be right to have a tournament without prizes, so of course you will not only be fighting for glory and bragging rights! To make things more appetizing, some nice prizes are also up for grabs!

quote:

4. The scenario to be played is Rommel Attacks 43 (5 turns) using the PBEM++ (server) system. Upload and Download ratios will be monitored to ensure fair games.

8. Prizes to be awarded:

1st place: $ 100 Matrix Games Store voucher

2nd place: $ 50 Matrix Games Store voucher

Two runners up: $ 25 Matrix Games Store voucher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

RentACop posted:

RPS did an interview with the Barbarossa guys. One of the answers got me thinking, are there any noteworthy games that heavily feature delegation? I always liked the idea and I want to ease myself into the deeper stuff

quote:

When I was in college a friend brought an old copy of SPI’s War in the West board game and five of us decided to play the full campaign. I’m not sure how big the map was (46 square feet. Stats Ed) but I remember thinking you could wallpaper your house with it. After two days of solid effort we hadn’t managed to complete a single turn.

Everything having to do with grognard games makes sense when you realize that there are people who actually played and enjoyed this kind of game, and they are the Matrix Games target demographic.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

RentACop posted:

RPS did an interview with the Barbarossa guys. One of the answers got me thinking, are there any noteworthy games that heavily feature delegation? I always liked the idea and I want to ease myself into the deeper stuff

Master of Orion 3. :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RentACop posted:

Hearts of Iron 3?

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

RentACop posted:

The Scourge of War American Civil War series features this as a core mechanic, wherein you can play as any commander from a brigade all the way up to army command. UI's a bit crap but it's a cool system. And it's in the Matrix sale at the moment.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tomn posted:

Master of Orion 3. :v:

Pre-ordered. I still have the box.

:negative:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

RentACop posted:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
^- Distant worlds.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Something about Grey building a planet destroyer and accidentally blowing up a planet without noticing.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Riso posted:

1st place: $ 100 Matrix Games Store voucher

Wow one "whole" game!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

jb7 posted:

Wow one "whole" game!

It's only fair. Get a game for the opportunity to finally play one!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Has anyone seen a good combat guide for DC:Barbarossa?

My armies don't seem to be making progress like it feels they should be.

Also, is it possible to just play the decision side of things and leave the divisional movement to the AI?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Playing DC: Barbarossa has brought back memories of table top European Theatre of operations, and an alternate ruleset that allowed World War 3 to start immediately after the fall of Berlin.

So I bring you this question, does a grognard game like this exist--a game that covers WW3 in Europe in 1945?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

There's a new AGEOD Napoleon game out. It looks exactly like every other AGEOD game with their 10-year-old engine so I'm not interested but those who are really into Napoleon might be.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Yooper posted:

Has anyone seen a good combat guide for DC:Barbarossa?

My armies don't seem to be making progress like it feels they should be.

Also, is it possible to just play the decision side of things and leave the divisional movement to the AI?

I could do a writeup on my experiences with the game, did you have anything in particular you were interested in?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Opening procedure maybe? The first few rounds to see how to encirclements go.

How many infantry divisions do I punch with?

I guess I'm used to WitE in this regard. It's taking a bit of getting used to.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Actually, in general how to you learn to lightning warfare because I have no idea beyond "attack weak counters with strong ones"

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hearts of Iron 3?

uPen posted:

Distant Worlds

Already have those, thanks though

INinja132 posted:

The Scourge of War American Civil War series features this as a core mechanic, wherein you can play as any commander from a brigade all the way up to army command. UI's a bit crap but it's a cool system. And it's in the Matrix sale at the moment.

This looks pretty darn cool, and those sprites are tickling my nostalgia buttons. Do you know if the Napoleon one is any better, that setting is a little more interesting to me

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RentACop posted:

One of the answers got me thinking, are there any noteworthy games that heavily feature delegation? I always liked the idea and I want to ease myself into the deeper stuff

Command Ops 2?

http://store.lnlpublishing.com/command-ops-2-core-engine

You give high level orders and the subunit AI is quite good at carrying them out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You know I don't know anything about coding at all, but I'm still amazed at how people write programs where the keymap is hard-set and can't even be changed with programmer access to the source code.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Alchenar posted:

You know I don't know anything about coding at all, but I'm still amazed at how people write programs where the keymap is hard-set and can't even be changed with programmer access to the source code.

I'm pretty sure that's never what actually happens. It would take a serious amount of determined effort to make something like that impossible to change. The worst I can think of is if for each UI element you would have a separate code listening to keyboard events, but even then it shouldn't be very hard to change. Whether they care enough to is another matter.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

LordPants posted:

Actually, in general how to you learn to lightning warfare because I have no idea beyond "attack weak counters with strong ones"

My understanding is to have waves of troops ready to go. Most of my experience is with Hearts of Iron, so I'm not familiar in how it works in other games but there the best way to do it is to open an engagement with your slow-moving infantry groups and then press the gap created in the lines using tanks after softening up the next line using air support. The key is to use armour to create mass encirclements instead of fighting directly.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

LordPants posted:

1. Find the weak spot in enemy lines.
2. Throw everything at it. Aircraft, artillery, everything.
3. Once they're dead, waltz armored forces behind enemy back just because they have a lot of movement points.
4. gently caress up their supply lines.
5. When enemies are deep in OOS penalties, use the rest of your dudes to mop up.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

RentACop posted:

This looks pretty darn cool, and those sprites are tickling my nostalgia buttons. Do you know if the Napoleon one is any better, that setting is a little more interesting to me

I think it's meant to be not as good although I haven't played it so can't comment on it myself. Some people were moaning about UI or something like that. I'm sure it's still pretty good and they'll patch the bejeesus out of it, but at the moment the ACW version might be superior (especially as it has so many expansions as well).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

INinja132 posted:

I think it's meant to be not as good although I haven't played it so can't comment on it myself. Some people were moaning about UI or something like that. I'm sure it's still pretty good and they'll patch the bejeesus out of it, but at the moment the ACW version might be superior (especially as it has so many expansions as well).

The performance is poo poo and will never get better.

Scourge of War got a lot of credit for being 'the only game that does what it does', but now that Ultimate General exists there's really no reason to give money to that guy.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Alchenar posted:

The performance is poo poo and will never get better.

Scourge of War got a lot of credit for being 'the only game that does what it does', but now that Ultimate General exists there's really no reason to give money to that guy.

If you would just clean out your computer...

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Alchenar posted:

Ultimate General doesn't model command like SoW does though, with the messengers and the complete decentralisation of it. I think UG is a better game in general (and my goodness is it good looking), but I think they can coexist and both do different things.

E: Also Scourge of War: Gettysburg has a demo by the way, so I would recommend checking that out.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Alchenar posted:

CMANO: Do unit orders override missions or vice versa?

Should I be unassigning units from their mission if I want to detach them to do a very specific thing?

You dont need to do so, if you give them an order it will ovverride their mission order but they will return to the mission when its done, so it depends what you are detaching them to do.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
UG has a very sleek interface, but I don't like the scale as it limits tactical options. Also the simplified interface sometimes makes it harder to manage movements.

I have tried SoW demo, and coming from Combat Mission games the camera control is just atrocious. I'm sure I could get used to it over time, but so far I have always been turned off by it.

SMG! continues being the best ACW game to me.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

If you would just clean out your computer...

I'm so glad I could be part of what kicked off our new inside joke.

So I got an email from Slitrix thanking me for being with them for 4 years with a 15% off coupon. I don't know if I signed up on their site on my birthday or if the wording in the URL (GetBirthdayCoupon) is just coincidence. Either way I hope it stacks with the Christmas sale even though I'm sure it doesn't!

Now to figure out something I'd actually want.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

It could be changed, they just haven't done it yet.

Depending on how the code is written it could be a big job, for example if the input system is referenced all throughout the codebase.

I mean, why mess with that when you could be improving the fidelity of the the wheel brake overheating model?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

So I got an email from Slitrix thanking me for being with them for 4 years with a 15% off coupon. I don't know if I signed up on their site on my birthday or if the wording in the URL (GetBirthdayCoupon) is just coincidence. Either way I hope it stacks with the Christmas sale even though I'm sure it doesn't!

Now to figure out something I'd actually want.

It stacks. Get CMANO.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: ^^^^^ I already own CMANO. It's one of the few titles I would want.

To be fair to grog developers when you play a triple-A game you know on the opening screen where you see all those logos like Scaleform and SpeedTree and such? That's the middleware that helps make it so you don't have to code a UI from scratch to work across all platforms and such but instead you have some basis to work from. I don't imagine licensing such things are feasible to some of these destitute, paycheck-to-paycheck, "Please sir, I want some more," grog developers. That said, for gently caress's sake.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

How does Achtung Panzer compare to Graviteam Tactics? GoG's been having it discounted for their winter sale but I wonder if it's lacking compared to the newer game.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I watched the twitch stream they did of DCB on youtube and I gotta say the interface to move and fight with your units looks terrible.

No right click and basically having to use shortcuts to avoid carpal tunnel.

loving grog games man, loving grog games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nah, once you get your head around the fact that moving and fighting consist of spending AP then it all falls together quite quickly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would think that the DC:Barb interface is still the same as with the other DC games?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Wouldn't know about the interface but I just noticed the DC games have no demo. Disappointing to say the least.

Mori
Mar 6, 2003

Riso posted:

I watched the twitch stream they did of DCB on youtube and I gotta say the interface to move and fight with your units looks terrible.

No right click and basically having to use shortcuts to avoid carpal tunnel.

loving grog games man, loving grog games.

It's actually really smart, as it allows you to attack a hex from multiple adjacent hexes without using WiTE/WiTW's awful mouseover selection system. You could have a shift-click system I suppose, but the system they have in the DC games has really grown on me and at this point seems equally easy.

EDIT: You know what, I take it back. Just realized a shift click system would make dealing with large unit stacks a total nightmare. I can't imagine any way that DC could have done that part of their interface better.

Mori fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mori posted:

It's actually really smart, as it allows you to attack a hex from multiple adjacent hexes without using WiTE/WiTW's awful mouseover selection system. You could have a shift-click system I suppose, but the system they have in the DC games has really grown on me and at this point seems equally easy.

Yeah it's a system that looks really awkward and fiddly but once you play through the tutorial it all comes together very quickly.