Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Let me tell you
I'm not crazy
Mind control
Liberals maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I've decided arguing with the CRIMINALS WILL STILL GET GUNS people is too much effort and I'm exhausted from trying, so I've started responding to every one of those arguments with That Bors:

It's more fun and saves on sanity. Bonus points if I can wedge one or more of the Tom Tomorrows in there as well. It may not be productive but neither is a migraine.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Taco knows what to do with guns.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Well if I ever need to kill myself I know what I'm doing right before.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh poo poo Call of Juarez: Gunslinger! I just beat that game!

Is this the Barbie Doll Gun?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Government is putting a gun to your head for taxes by libertarian logic - so Donald is just removing the veil.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Defenestration posted:

Yes, this is the comment of a man who should have access to as much deadly weaponry as he wants. FREEDOM
What's the twist of logic on this one? Is this like the thing Fox News does where they kick somebody out of the GOP on TV by putting a 'D' next to their name instead of an 'R?'

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What's the twist of logic on this one? Is this like the thing Fox News does where they kick somebody out of the GOP on TV by putting a 'D' next to their name instead of an 'R?'
The proprietor of EPROW is a fan of the theory that all the white male shooters were on psychotropic drugs.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Defenestration posted:

No, my right not to be killed supersedes your irrational fear of brown people

My right not to be terrorized and intimidated in the street supersedes your paranoid wannabe commando fantasies

Ban all guns. gently caress your toys, gently caress your toxic masculinity, gently caress your chest-thumping, dick-waving, concern-trolling, hand-wringing excuses. They are incompatible with civil society.

I've always been annoyed by that stance. "LOL look this politician used slightly incorrect terminology talking about this specific gun, this means no one who doesn't know extensive gun vocabulary should make any laws Are Guns!!!" Meanwhile those same people are usually cool with banning abortion based on lovely science and have no idea what an ectopic pregnancy is.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Remember when the video game Doom caused mass shootings? Those were good times. :allears:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Defenestration posted:

The proprietor of EPROW is a fan of the theory that all the white male shooters were on psychotropic drugs.

So if they're :drugnerd: on drugs :drugnerd: then they're a Democrat?

I don't know why I'm asking all this.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

DEAN JAMES III%

Do non-alphanumeric symbols force government officials to use your Corporate Name under admiralty law or something?

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

The Dark One posted:

DEAN JAMES III%

Do non-alphanumeric symbols force government officials to use your Corporate Name under admiralty law or something?
No, Three Percenters are the people who think they're going to do all the fighting in the Second Revolutionary War, just like the 3% of the population that fought in the first. (source: my butt)

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Defenestration posted:

There's often a second stage to this one that claims antidepressants make you susceptible to CIA mind control like the Manchurian Candidate.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I've always been annoyed by that stance. "LOL look this politician used slightly incorrect terminology talking about this specific gun, this means no one who doesn't know extensive gun vocabulary should make any laws Are Guns!!!"

Slightly incorrect is an understatement - I don't think its beyond the pale to expect that when you write a law banning a thing, you know what it is you're banning, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U

Or about basic functions of the item in question, like how magazines can be reloaded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwnE-ubrVIY

It would be one thing if a complete knowledge of archaic pin-fire development was demanded, but nobody is making that demand. It is a strawman.

What would be a lot more valid is if the people attempting to pass this legislation did have at least a basic understanding of the subject of their legislation, though.

You'd probably find it ridiculous if a politician writing a bank reform bill had no idea what a security or loan is, right?

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Meanwhile those same people are usually cool with banning abortion based on lovely science and have no idea what an ectopic pregnancy is.

Ironic that you bring up abortion, since the anti-gun and anti-choice playbooks are a simple job of copy-paste and find-replace. From the rhetoric;

Some frothing anti-choicer posted:

"The baby's right to not be killed supersedes your right to convenience!"

To the often incrementalist tactics.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm fine with experts in firearms writing the bills that will finally bring our insane firearms policy in line with every other developed country.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

VitalSigns posted:

I'm fine with experts in firearms writing the bills that will finally bring our insane firearms policy in line with every other developed country.

I wonder what kinds of regulations we'd have for nuclear power if we had had several chernobyl scale disasters in the United States but all the nuclear experts circled the wagons and insisted that everything was fine and that it was operator error every time.
The proposed regulations would probably be inconsistent and inadequate in many ways.

I don't actually know enough about nuclear science to make a joke, but imagine a meme where one scientist is making fun of a politician for calling a proton a positron.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Defenestration posted:

Look that dude still has a gun you're not even trying

I like that the vaguely scary looking dark-skinned man MUST be evil, when he has an Assassin Glyph for his belt buckle, making him one of the good guys trying to protect personal your freedom from the God Aliens.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Defenestration posted:

it means read a book you ignorant redneck

And Leonidas stood before the Persian Army, who demanded he lay down his weapons and surrender. He responded with "Come and Take Them!"

The Persians then proceed to kill him and his entire force for resisting.

They then proceeded to burn Athens to the loving ground.

Because Leonidas was a loving retard.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So if they're :drugnerd: on drugs :drugnerd: then they're a Democrat?

I don't know why I'm asking all this.
If they're on drugs then they are crazy and it is the drugs fault. Not guns. As you've seen, people with guns are responsible and sane and not evil so don't you even DARE think about taking away their guns and their right to defend themselves by shooting anyone who comes within 1000 feet of their property unannounced.

More paranoid fantasies.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Defenestration posted:

If they're on drugs then they are crazy and it is the drugs fault. Not guns. As you've seen, people with guns are responsible and sane and not evil so don't you even DARE think about taking away their guns and their right to defend themselves by shooting anyone who comes within 1000 feet of their property unannounced.

More paranoid fantasies.

More likely he'd just accidentally shoot you in a panic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Defenestration posted:

More paranoid fantasies.

They must get on well with the open carry crowd.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I wonder what kinds of regulations we'd have for nuclear power if we had had several chernobyl scale disasters in the United States but all the nuclear experts circled the wagons and insisted that everything was fine and that it was operator error every time.
The proposed regulations would probably be inconsistent and inadequate in many ways.

I don't actually know enough about nuclear science to make a joke, but imagine a meme where one scientist is making fun of a politician for calling a proton a positron.

It'd probably look at lot like how old white men regulate abortion.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Thump! posted:

And Leonidas stood before the Persian Army, who demanded he lay down his weapons and surrender. He responded with "Come and Take Them!"

The Persians then proceed to kill him and his entire force for resisting.

They then proceeded to burn Athens to the loving ground.

Because Leonidas was a loving retard.

Hey, that's not fair. Leonidas was the commander of a legitimate Spartan military engaging in lawful defense of his and his allies' lands. He (and his men) were almost certainly aware of the fact that they were going to die, and chose to fight rather than surrender knowing that.

In contrast, that macro is attempting to compare a government sanctioned resistance to a foreign power's aggression to unlawful civilian rebellion against their own legitimately elected government imposing regulations that they disagree with, believing that they'll win.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Defenestration posted:

More paranoid fantasies.

People have said in this forum that this 'heroic civilian who saves everyone because they conceal carry' is a fantasy, but is there a statistics that back this up?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I'm always kind of bemused by D&D on the subject of gun control, it is the one subject that seems to make everyone go crazy over. For what it is worth I simply can't conceive of legislation that will be effective, and honestly I feel the real problem is the climate of fear and shift to the right that has been steadily occurring since Nixon. The Real vs. Fake Americans mindset seems to be what really fuels this problem. How you end this and get people to not be in constant fear of their neighbors, minorities, homeless, etc is the real question to me. Sadly, I can't think of anything other than arguing the progressive points just as loudly and hope they resonate with young people more than regressive ones do and hope conservatives die out at a greater rate than they are replaced, pushing the people who earnestly wish for a race war, 2nd civil war, etc into a more isolated corner as the decades crawl on.

toanoradian posted:

People have said in this forum that this 'heroic civilian who saves everyone because they conceal carry' is a fantasy, but is there a statistics that back this up?

Doubtful there is anything to back up either, but not having accurate statistics of all the various violent scenarios in which guns are used once again falls on the anti-control crowd because they even block funding for that kind of stuff, because even putting their claims to the test is forbidden, they are already true, so studies are not needed.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 5, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

toanoradian posted:

I dunno what stats you'd be looking for exactly. It'd have to be something like the percentage of attempted shootings with a non-police armed civilian that resulted in more than x fatalities (for whatever you want to count as an acceptable level, i.e. maybe the shooter kills a dude before anyone realizes what happens). That seems very hard to determine.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Hard to find figures because, as pro-gun people will correctly point out, a foiled mass shooting isn't reported as a mass shooting.

It's complicated further by how relatively rare mass shootings really are.

I think you'd have to be very careful in making any claims on what is or is not effective on preventing rare events.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hard to find figures because, as pro-gun people will correctly point out, a foiled mass shooting isn't reported as a mass shooting.

It's complicated further by how relatively rare mass shootings really are.

I think you'd have to be very careful in making any claims on what is or is not effective on preventing rare events.

It's actually a hard to find figure because any national agency is outlawed from doing any research on gun violence. Which should be all you need to know about if the NRA think's it would actually end up being a net positive or not. "No, guys this is way super effective and it's obvious that the facts are disputable! Wait, no I don't actually want it studied and quantified, just take our word for it."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

toanoradian posted:

It's not common or statistically significant, but it does happen:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/03/do-civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

poo poo someone actually said to me: "Should we have a three day waiting period on bridges? See? That's why it doesn't make sense to regulate guns."

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Anubis posted:

It's actually a hard to find figure because any national agency is outlawed from doing any research on gun violence.

This is blatantly untrue.

It is not the case currently, and never has been the case.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Defenestration posted:

They didn't so we should just outright ban guns.

I just saw this one in the wild and came to post it. It was accompanied by this comment:

quote:

Our country has a mental health problem not a gun problem. And unless Canada and Mexico get rid of guns too, banning them won't do any good.

Weren't all four guns legally acquired within the US? I don't understand what they're trying to say here.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

toanoradian posted:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/oregon-shooting-gun-laws-213222

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I actually posted a link above with documented examples of actual stops.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

toanoradian posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/26/opinion/the-concealed-carry-fantasy.html?ribbon-ad-idx=4&rref=opinion

LeJackal posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/us/26guns.html

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 5, 2015

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

LeJackal posted:

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-07-02/quietly-congress-extends-ban-cdc-research-gun-violence

http://www.businessinsider.com/congressional-ban-on-gun-violence-research-rewnewed-2015-7

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...ies_at_cdc.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cdc-ban-gun-research-caused-lasting-damage/story?id=18909347

"Never has been the case" huh?

Currently, no. It's free.

But in doing so they'd basically shred their own funding.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-two-years-ago/

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/cdc-still-cant-study-causes-gun-violence-180955884/?no-ist

So they have to decide between still being able to keep the doors open, or researching gun violence. Sounds pretty coercive towards ensuring gun violence is not researched. But I'm sure you'll just explain that it'd be a waste of money better poured elsewhere, that's your usual deflection.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 5, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There are no laws that literally say "gun research is banned forever because of the NRA" ergo it is in no way hindered and never has been. It only counts if it uses those exact words and phrasing.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

E-Tank posted:

So they have to decide between still being able to keep the doors open, or researching gun violence. Sounds pretty coercive towards ensuring gun violence is not researched. But I'm sure you'll just explain that it'd be a waste of money better poured elsewhere, that's your usual deflection.

Wait, you mean LeJackal is being a motherfuck about guns again? Oh my god, who would have thought!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

E-Tank posted:

More to the point, there are a number of federal agencies like the ATF, FBI, and DOJ that study gun violence as part of their overall studies of criminology and law enforcement.
Even the most generous reading of these articles (and ignoring that the goalpost shifted from 'full on ban' to 'we can't get funding') does not support the :siren: ALL NATIONAL AGENCIES ARE BARRED FROM STUDYING FIREARMS! :siren: line that is being touted as fact.

(Though its true that the CDC was wasting that money on some really garbage 'science' rife with selection bias and attribution errors.)