Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I made tiny little shrines for the most popular objects of worship but they inevitably got cluttered with roaming dogs, children, and dwarves worshipping for entirely too much time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

It's like Dwarf Seuss.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Is it not possible to eat fruits/vegetables you pick in adventure mode? :(

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

packetmantis posted:

Is it not possible to eat fruits/vegetables you pick in adventure mode? :(

Most of the "legacy" plants from before the rewrite you cannot eat. You can eat the edible parts of new plants.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A dwarf child is playing make believe in the midst of a bunch of corpses and body parts outside the main gate while sitting in a pile of vomit.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I built a temple to a festival god, The Plate of Snacking. The first statue that went up was of roaches.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Can you see what children are pretending to be when they make believe?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I guess I'll find out for myself fairly soon but;

is it possible to have locations like taverns be on multiple z-levels? Wanted to have the tables and chairs downstairs and the rooms for rent upstairs. I know I can designate the rooms as part of a location but will that just create 2 separate taverns?

Cave Adapted
Jun 13, 2012
Yep! You define rooms like normal then add the rooms to the location.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Cave Adapted posted:

Yep! You define rooms like normal then add the rooms to the location.

Now my big question is... Do these rooms (in Taverns) need to be split up by walls and doors for the game to recognize it as "A room available for rent" or does my giant blob of a zone handle it well enough?

Nobody is renting my tiny rooms.

Edit- Just saw the first song in Fortress Mode that was actually composed on the other side of the world by my first adventurer; a Skunk Woman bard!

They were singing "The Skunks and the Workers"; it is passable.

Edit2 - Now the performance troupe "The Evil Guiles" is visiting. A vile force of Harpness has arrived!

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 5, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

reignofevil posted:

Now my big question is... Do these rooms (in Taverns) need to be split up by walls and doors for the game to recognize it as "A room available for rent" or does my giant blob of a zone handle it well enough?

Nobody is renting my tiny rooms.

Edit- Just saw the first song in Fortress Mode that was actually composed on the other side of the world by my first adventurer; a Skunk Woman bard!

They were singing "The Skunks and the Workers"; it is passable.

Edit2 - Now the performance troupe "The Evil Guiles" is visiting. A vile force of Harpness has arrived!

Rooms for rent work a bit different, you define a bedroom similar to any other bedroom and then you can assign it to the tavern location. And eventually they'll get rented, it took about a year for people to start coming to mine.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Rooms for rent work a bit different, you define a bedroom similar to any other bedroom and then you can assign it to the tavern location. And eventually they'll get rented, it took about a year for people to start coming to mine.

Thanks!

Just found a procedural poem about the time somebody invented giving somebody else the finger. Pretty sure the Goblins brought this one over and the humans picked it up.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know of someone doing a VLP or just a in-depth runthrough of the new version in video form? I really wanna see the new stuff unfold, but i'm trying to work on my self-hate levels so i'm waiting for DFHack and DwarfTherapist.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Can't wait tell the next patch, these crashes are killing me.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

reignofevil posted:

Just caught my tavernkeeper letting some fine visitors know about the wonderful fortress of SafeBowel; apparently founded about 25 years prior to my own story.

Wait, can you read conversations in fort mode now?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

RedTonic posted:

Wait, can you read conversations in fort mode now?

My Tavernkeeper decided to initiate a Storytelling Performance for some visitors; you can now check in on these from the unit menu using the j button.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yeah, my first fort only experienced two crashes. My latest is crashing everywhere. So far I haven't isolated the cause: no trees are being built over, there are no children or infants in the expedition, so I just don't know.

reignofevil posted:

My Tavernkeeper decided to initiate a Storytelling Performance for some visitors; you can now check in on these from the unit menu using the j button.

Ooh, sweet. Thanks!

e: I think I've narrowed down the culprit to trying to do the plain (no vials, barrels, or bags) process plants job at a farmer's workshop. I don't know why that is causing a crash because I can't check if the job is failing for a particular reason.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 5, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

quote:

This is a thrips fiend parchment scroll. The rollers are made from rutile.

Written on the item is an essay entitled Questions About Ushat Polishedtrumpet authored by Vabok Helmsyelled. It concerns the marriage of the dwarf Ushat Polishedtrumpet and the dwarf Vabok Helmsyelled in 111. Overall, the prose is amateurish at best.

The library is my first must-build in any fortress now just to find out what kinds of crazy poo poo my dwarves come up with. My favorite so far is "The Possibilities of Adil Partnerchanneled," written by Adil Partnerchanneled. Apparently the writing is somewhat self-indulgent.

edit: I'm getting a bug where despite what I tell my military to do they refuse to pick up or use any armor I produce. Thank goodness for random adventurers wanting to join my fortress!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

ElBrak posted:

Can't wait tell the next patch, these crashes are killing me.

AND HIS NAME IS TARN ADAMS BWAH BWA-BWA BWAHHHHHH

Toady One posted:

Here's a quick follow-up for some of the worst bugs. There are still some strange things going on (horses all over, duplicate companions, etc.), but hopefully this version will work much better than the last one.

Major bug fixes
  • Fixed world generation freeze caused by error in poetry refrains
  • Fixed crash from building constructions on tree leaves etc.
  • Fixed calendar crash from bandit bar hoppers
  • Fixed crash with children joining socialize activities (most common with migrant waves)
  • Made worship activity branch properly (so prayer needs can be satisfied)
  • Fixed world gen seed not repeating after abort

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Can see deity for temple in location screen
  • Cannot spot vampires from occupation list anymore
  • Fixed a few typos

Oh and there were no file changes. Just the executable, the index thing in \data and the readmes are different.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 5, 2015

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That bug fix list is a thing of beauty.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Horse infestation level can be pretty ridiculous. Someone had a town with one goblin and 3600 horses.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Word of warning: When messing around with keybindings, never rebind the select key or change anything to enter by mistake; if you do, you'll be unable to leave the keybinding menu! You won't be able to press enter to leave the keybinding menu itself, but you will also be unable to set the select key back because it'll requires you to press the select key to rebind it!

Fun stuff.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 5, 2015

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Two of the dwarves in my temple immediately started meditating on Lust when I loaded the save in the new version.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

The string dumps between the two versions... look pretty much the same too. "Thougtless" got untypofied and there's a "dedicated to no particular deity" option for temple UIs. The first word from the "always performs the counterpoint melody" string also got removed, who knows why.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

scamtank posted:

The string dumps between the two versions... look pretty much the same too. "Thougtless" got untypofied and there's a "dedicated to no particular deity" option for temple UIs. The first word from the "always performs the counterpoint melody" string also got removed, who knows why.
Perhaps that was part of what he meant by patching out an adventure corruption crash that he hasn't quite got fixed yet.

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure I'm up for playing the game too much right now but boy howdy am I enjoying legends now:

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'm just having funny with the legends at the moment, the error logs give me some amusement too. The latest world failed to load due to this error

"MOUNTAIN trying to generate musical form without speech or instruments"

How frustrating that must be for the mountain?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hey scamtank you're like some modding wizard right? Is there any easy way to make new raw files that the game will read but are easily distinguished from the default ones? Back when I modded this game I ended up with dozens of new files and keeping track of them all was a pain since they were mixed in with the default ones. I tried putting a new raw file in a folder, but apparently the game doesn't read from those. Then I tried giving them all titles that would make them bunch together but the game only reads files with certain titles? I'm probably missing something obvious here.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey scamtank you're like some modding wizard right? Is there any easy way to make new raw files that the game will read but are easily distinguished from the default ones? Back when I modded this game I ended up with dozens of new files and keeping track of them all was a pain since they were mixed in with the default ones. I tried putting a new raw file in a folder, but apparently the game doesn't read from those. Then I tried giving them all titles that would make them bunch together but the game only reads files with certain titles? I'm probably missing something obvious here.

Unfortunately, the game has some strict standards for the naming. Here's a look at the string dump:

code:
|objects/|
|objects/text/book_instruction.txt|
|objects/text/book_art.txt|
|objects/text/secret_death.txt|
|objects/language_*.txt|
|objects/descriptor_shape_*.txt|
|objects/descriptor_color_*.txt|
|objects/descriptor_pattern_*.txt|
|objects/material_template_*.txt|
|objects/inorganic_*.txt|
|objects/plant_*.txt|
|objects/tissue_template_*.txt|
|objects/item_*.txt|
|objects/building_*.txt|
|objects/b_detail_plan_*.txt|
|objects/body_*.txt|
|objects/c_variation_*.txt|
|objects/creature_*.txt|
|objects/entity_*.txt|
|objects/reaction_*.txt|
|objects/interaction_*.txt|
I tried screwing with those specific lines to see if I could change the criteria, but no. The changes stuck, but the files wouldn't read.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 6, 2015

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I think the first line of a raw file needs to be its filename, so make sure you change that if you change the filename. I just stick my initials on the end of any raws I make, so I can pull them out by searching the folder. I also keep current versions of my mods in a separate folder and copy them over to the installation of DF.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Version control your modifications like a true tinkerer.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Amusing but I don't get the ending.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want to capture a plump helmet man because I heard you can light them on fire and they'll burn forever and that's just too metal/evil for me not to try.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NewMars posted:

The only game that I've ever really seen as coming close to DF in terms of random worldbuilding stuff is Ultima Ratio Regum. It's still in alpha, but the devblog is absolutely fascinating, if not as funny as the DF one can be.
Has that gotten anywhere near being an actual game yet?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

I want to capture a plump helmet man because I heard you can light them on fire and they'll burn forever and that's just too metal/evil for me not to try.
I played one and tossed all his starting points into singer, and forgot that they do not have mouths. I feel so sorry for him. He has wasted his whole life.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

John Dough posted:

That bug fix list is a thing of beauty.
"error in poetry refrains" is like... well... poetry.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Zereth posted:

Has that gotten anywhere near being an actual game yet?

Looking at a tentative Spring 2016 for NPC features and the like, jumping from 0.7 (Aka "A heckload of world building") to 0.9 (aka "Hey, I can actually do things!")

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Pickled Tink posted:

I played one and tossed all his starting points into singer, and forgot that they do not have mouths. I feel so sorry for him. He has wasted his whole life.

I Have No Mouth, and I Must ♫ Siiiiiing ♫ was one of Harlan Ellison's more lighthearted works

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Pickled Tink posted:

Maybe he can vibrate pleasantly? Like a big old string instrument sans string.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He's got a big mushroom head, obviously you hit him and he sounds like a cymbal.