Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I couldn't hate Meth Demon in BB because Landry is such a swell guy in FNL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
alright i'm now completely caught up

today has been a day

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

speshl guy posted:

For some reason people got really upset when he murdered a little boy and orphaned another in cold blood, on a whim.

So he did what had to be done :colbert:. Walter's approach would've been to let him go, then realize he hosed up, track down where he lives and gas/blow up the house before the kid told his parents.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

This season is so loving good holy poo poo.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Totally agreed. I'm amazed that this show has held up the level of quality it has, when similar shows (True Detective) bottomed out fast.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I actually enjoy this season much more than I did the previous season. The poetic bloviating got a little tiring for me last season. This season, it seems to be relegated to just Mike Milligan, and that actor does a really good job of carrying it off. They even lampshaded it a bit with Simone.

Not to mention the soundtrack, holy Christ.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
And the awesome split-screen usage.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Thumbtacks posted:

Speaking of actors that I'm very impressed with, Brad Garrett is pretty drat good here too. Granted I've only seen him in Everybody Loves Raymond so I've never seen him actually acting, but I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

And he's 6'8". I want to see him play an Aglo-Saxon warlord smashing Normans with a giant hammer

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Is Hanzee a Gerhardt? It seemed to me like characters were reacting to him as if he was a half brother and a lot of their interactions make more sense if he was.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If the Gerhardts took him in as a child, pretty much all the Gerhardt brothers will have grown up with him around. Don't know how old everyone is supposed to be, but going by the actors him and Dodd would be around the same age, with Bear and Rye a decade behind. (Of course, he'll have been away for his three tours.)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

I couldn't hate Meth Demon in BB because Landry is such a swell guy in FNL.

Those of us who saw him in FNL first know that Ed is just the grown-up Midwestern version of Landry, right down to killing a dude and getting with a blonde who's out of his league.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Splendid episode, but agree with the previous poster about the eye rolling when Ed just happened to see a newspaper headline saying "A SCARY KC GANGSTER NAMED MIKE MILLIGAN IS STAYING AT THIS SPECIFIC HOTEL FYI"

How did the reporter know? Why is Milligan hanging around if he's been rumbled? Why haven't police-other-than-Lou plaid Mr Milligan a visit?

No, it was a rare bit of hackiness, from an otherwise first rate show.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Emerson Cod posted:

Is Hanzee a Gerhardt? It seemed to me like characters were reacting to him as if he was a half brother and a lot of their interactions make more sense if he was.
It would make sense. The family took him in when he was young and Dodd referred to him as a "half-breed." While it hasn't been said in the show, I am under the impression he is Otto's illegitimate son.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

BeigeJacket posted:

Splendid episode, but agree with the previous poster about the eye rolling when Ed just happened to see a newspaper headline saying "A SCARY KC GANGSTER NAMED MIKE MILLIGAN IS STAYING AT THIS SPECIFIC HOTEL FYI"

How did the reporter know? Why is Milligan hanging around if he's been rumbled? Why haven't police-other-than-Lou plaid Mr Milligan a visit?

No, it was a rare bit of hackiness, from an otherwise first rate show.

I love that the paper has both that and Hanzee's portrait on the first page, and all Ed had to do was flip it from prominent Hanzee picture to the half that mentioned Mike Milligan by name and where he was staying. And then the paper blew on over to the store, where the owner reads another copy of the paper to notice Hanzee's portrait front-and-center.

I mean yeah it feels "cheap" I guess but it was so deliberate that I'm not bothered by it. The writers/directors knew what they were doing and played on the old trope of the Convenient Newspaper, related to the Convenient News Report That Happens Just as a Character Turns the TV On.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah, I actually thought it was hilarious. They may as well have had one of the writers wearing a sweatshirt that reads, "NEWSPAPER," walk up say, "Mike Milligan's at the Pearl Hotel; he's KC."

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
It is not as though all mobsters are a secret to the public until they are caught by the police. In many instances local press knows full well who is committing crimes in their cities and writes about them!

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Proposition Joe posted:

It is not as though all mobsters are a secret to the public until they are caught by the police. In many instances local press knows full well who is committing crimes in their cities and writes about them!

It was convenient... doesn't really bother me though. Whole bunch of people have been killed - it would be huge news and the papers would probably write about nothing else.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Re: Hanzee's haircut. I totally thought she was going to give him the bowl cut ala Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men, since he definitely has that vibe, and his encounter with the clerk at the general store felt very similar to the one in No Country

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

I love that the paper has both that and Hanzee's portrait on the first page, and all Ed had to do was flip it from prominent Hanzee picture to the half that mentioned Mike Milligan by name and where he was staying. And then the paper blew on over to the store, where the owner reads another copy of the paper to notice Hanzee's portrait front-and-center.

I mean yeah it feels "cheap" I guess but it was so deliberate that I'm not bothered by it. The writers/directors knew what they were doing and played on the old trope of the Convenient Newspaper, related to the Convenient News Report That Happens Just as a Character Turns the TV On.

The store owner just looked at a copy he already had for sale in his own store. It wasn't THAT cheesy.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Hawley says season 3 will be set a couple of years after the first one and may or may not have returning characters.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/03/fargo-season-3?hootPostID=b808899b50b0f0407a42644e2245b9c7

I'd be down for a North Dakota oil boom season.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yeah that would rule. there is a lot of drug running and prostitution going on out there irl, so it really wouldn't be a stretch to go that route (until cthulhu shows up, of course)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Henchman of Santa posted:

The store owner just looked at a copy he already had for sale in his own store. It wasn't THAT cheesy.

I know, I mentioned that it was a different paper. The funny part was that both stories were printed on the first page, you see Ed looking right at Hanzee's portrait and then he turns it over to find the Mike Milligan article.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Davros1 posted:

Re: Hanzee's haircut. I totally thought she was going to give him the bowl cut ala Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men, since he definitely has that vibe, and his encounter with the clerk at the general store felt very similar to the one in No Country

That definitely got that vibe, too. I kept waiting for Hanzee to flip a coin!

The fact that there was tension as to whether or not he would kill the shopkeep, and yet he doesn't since the shopkeep didn't do anything to violate his code (not to mention he gives away the requested info) - I think that was definitely meant to be a nod to the general store scene in No Country.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
It makes me so happy to hear they're doing a third season of this show. It's so very, very good.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Illinois Smith posted:

Hawley says season 3 will be set a couple of years after the first one and may or may not have returning characters.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/03/fargo-season-3?hootPostID=b808899b50b0f0407a42644e2245b9c7

I'd be down for a North Dakota oil boom season.

Oh man, digging into the seedy stuff that's come about from the growth of the oil industry is so up Fargo's alley that now I can't imagine them doing anything but that. Maybe make the evil force of the season a corporation instead of standard criminals, basically they could be what the Kansas City mob aspires to be. You could have the company subcontract out its employees on the rigs too so that when they blow up because of the laughably bad safety measures they don't have to compensate wounded employees, or the families of dead ones. That could be the real life inspiration, similar to how Peggy just driving home with a dude in her windshield is based on something that actually happened. That also gives us room for a really cool lawyer (whether he's a good guy or a bad guy) as a major character, kind of an even cooler Karl Weathers with more screen time, hell go whole hog and lets see Karl Weathers Jr. We've seen lots of cops and lots of innocent people harmed by the whims of evil men, but I'd love to see the Law come into play, even if it's just the pursuit of legal justice in the abstract and not necessarily time spent in a courtroom.Maybe a good old fashioned Cop and D.A. teamup? If you set it at late 2008 or early 2009 you can tie in to the general crazy time that was Obama's election, as well as the government bailouts in the face of an economic crisis. Kind of juxtapose the national sense that the economy is in serious trouble with the local sense of "We're hiring literally thousands of people for very high paying jobs, c'mon down!" Gah, I need to stop thinking about this before I really overanalyze things, but tying in to the oil boom really appeals to me (obviously) so I really hope that's what they do.

I have to imagine we'd see someone stuffed into a full oil drum at some point too, and knowing Fargo the poor sap will probably be alive when it happens.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I'd love a season of Fargo that's akin to Boardwalk Empire. Set during prohibition and about the bootlegging and smuggling of booze across the Canadian border.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I binged through this season a few days ago and now the wait is killing me. It's seriously so good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just realized the last episode is gonna air on my birthday. I don't even think I could ask for anything more.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Is there gonna be any more Ronald Reagan appearances? I was expecting Campbell to be a season regular not just a one-off (even if it was spectacular)

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just realized the last episode is gonna air on my birthday. I don't even think I could ask for anything more.

Same here birthday bro :hfive:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Missed four episodes in a row but all caught up now.

Holy gently caress the back half of this series is a wild ride. This is proper heart pounding serialisation right here!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

NowonSA posted:

Gah, I need to stop thinking about this before I really overanalyze things, but tying in to the oil boom really appeals to me (obviously) so I really hope that's what they do.

You're just nerding out, it's OK. There is a lot they could do with it, though. It even ties in to Minnesota, too: a lot of the guys I grew up with in northwestern and west-central Minnesota have ended up out there at some point (I graduated high school in the 00s). Most of them don't like it there, but they're making so much more money than they would otherwise that they keep signing on to jobs. Some of them even have college degrees and such.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh I get it now. I get what the strange timing coincidence is.

Otto having a stroke, Rye getting run over, AND an outside gang coming in. ITs the Deus Ex Machina that got the story going. Its the Aliens. Its the "strange happenings around these parts"

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

NowonSA posted:

...That also gives us room for a really cool lawyer (whether he's a good guy or a bad guy) as a major character, kind of an even cooler Karl Weathers with more screen time, hell go whole hog and lets see Karl Weathers Jr....

Well we know for a fact there's going to be an industrious lawyer with class action experience hanging out at a Cinnabon in Omaha, Nebraska at some point. It's like 400 miles... he'd make the drive.

I'm just saying.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Old crotchety Karl comes out of the woodwork to take on the shifty North Dakota oil syndicate, much like Derek Smart's crusade against Star Citizen. Bonus points, he has retired at this point to the town of Hawley, Minnesota, which is just a few dozen miles from Fargo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo is that Martin Freeman

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That was different

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That shop owner was so loving dumb

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

It's on for y'all now? FXnow is still showing the credits from the last thing that was on.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

Holy poo poo is that Martin Freeman

:stare: I think it was, the voice was familiar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We are not alone.

• Locked thread