Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Boston Rob managing to get a starstruck local to sit in a cab with them for almost the whole episode is pretty funny and I wish that happened more often

Looking back on things that don't happen any more, there was a lot of metagame in that season. Rob convincing other teams to skip the challenge and take the penalty with him? I missed a couple seasons recently but I feel like they must have done something to actively stop that kind of stuff, because you'd expect it to be more of a factor, especially as the game matures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
What was the time when the speed bump was literally "wait here for 10 minutes" or something

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

ElwoodCuse posted:

What was the time when the speed bump was literally "wait here for 10 minutes" or something

Yeah there was a "sit on this block of ice for 10 minutes" speedbump, it was bullshit

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I feel like the Green Team is really close to doing some good metagaming, with that whole U-turn bit between themselves, the Cheerleaders and the Paparazzi teams. Overall, they are ridiculously competent compared to almost all the other teams and even when they're frustrated they just keep soldiering on. It'd be admirable if Justin was less obnoxious!

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah there was a "sit on this block of ice for 10 minutes" speedbump, it was bullshit

There was also one where the speedbump was to walk five steps to the left in the same plaza as the clue and toss a coin into a large hole.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

SnowDog posted:

Looking back on things that don't happen any more, there was a lot of metagame in that season. Rob convincing other teams to skip the challenge and take the penalty with him? I missed a couple seasons recently but I feel like they must have done something to actively stop that kind of stuff, because you'd expect it to be more of a factor, especially as the game matures.

I remember a couple seasons ago there were three or four teams that decided the first challenge (finding a clue hidden in a sand castle) was too hard and that they should all just take the penalty together.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
A pretty short leg this time around, lots of physical challenges that didn't really result in any changes in position. The third u-turn of the race was the only reason the paparazzi dropped to forth.

Preview: looks like the next leg has a really difficult swimming based challenge that might shake things up. Who knows if the green team will still be around afterwards

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Well that was a boring leg. I was happy the cheerleaders didn't have to re-do the detour after someone let loose her balloons. It's so odd that everyone checked in mostly within minutes of one another.

Preview: I hope green team loses their lead. I want them to get what's coming to them.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

aidoru posted:

Well that was a boring leg. I was happy the cheerleaders didn't have to re-do the detour after someone let loose her balloons. It's so odd that everyone checked in mostly within minutes of one another.

The cheerleaders aren't my favorite but I would have felt so bad for them if they had to redo that detour because some random guy messed it up.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

flynt posted:

The cheerleaders aren't my favorite but I would have felt so bad for them if they had to redo that detour because some random guy messed it up.

You didn't see any other women on bikes out there. I don't think that was "random guy" so much as sexual harassment . Both cheerleaders said they were feeling overwhelmed by the attention that day.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

hepscat posted:

You didn't see any other women on bikes out there. I don't think that was "random guy" so much as sexual harassment . Both cheerleaders said they were feeling overwhelmed by the attention that day.

I think this had something to do with it, too. I remember they had issues getting into a tuk tuk because people were yanking them by the arm. At first it seemed like it was just kids, but I couldn't see the whole crowd.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
This leg was super bizarre, and I wonder if something happened where there was another leg planned and for whatever reason they weren't able to do it. It felt extremely cobbled together and just small in scale.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Riptor posted:

This leg was super bizarre, and I wonder if something happened where there was another leg planned and for whatever reason they weren't able to do it. It felt extremely cobbled together and just small in scale.

Yeah there wasn't any bunching and a 3rd u-turn. Very linear, paparazzi only survived due to the 45 minute gap at the start.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Shout outs to the 2007 CFL western conference champion Saskatchewan Roughriders, and the one die-hard Canadian football fan living in Agra who is proud to show his support via t-shirt.

Edit: GO GREENGOLDS :canada:

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 29, 2015

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Haha I saw that shirt. I checked to see if they had just lost the Grey Cup or something and he ended up with a loser's shirt but nope, legit.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Wow this episode was a nail biter!

I liked the cheerleaders but I'm really glad the green team is still in it. As long as Chris and Logan don't win I'll be happy though.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

The newscasters still finishing in 2nd was pretty hilarious.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Part of me feels bad for the cheerleaders, especially because I know that I have a great deal of trouble opening my eyes underwater...but man; 5 tries at one challenge....you kinda deserve the loss at the point.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Green Team checks off a lot of the boxes that usually make me not like a team on this show, but I dunno, I really dig them. I'm glad they were able to survive. I'll miss the cheerleaders though.

And as recently four weeks ago, I said to myself "hey who's that guy with the beard?" because I had just completely forgotten the paparazzi existed. I'm kind of surprised they're here at the end for as weak of an edit as they got basically until they ran out of other teams to talk about.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm fully rooting for the Green Team at this point, they've outclassed everyone else to this point and are super passionate about the whole thing. The reporters would be a neat story too, the perennial runners-up who finally manage to pull one out when it matters most.

The paparazzi winning is the only outcome I would hate, so history indicates that's what will happen. It'll be the goat farmers all over again, the weak and boring team that somehow makes it to the end and wins on some bullshit.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
As much as they're trying to make the green team the bad guys, Justin is obviously a fan of the race, and basically knows what he's doing, more than the rest of the teams.

The paparazzi are the only team I don't want to see winning, because they're not good people.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

thedaian posted:

The paparazzi are the only team I don't want to see winning, because they're not good people.

They aren't, but I am glad they are around because his hissy fits are hilarious.

drat it

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I just want the news team to finish in second because that's funny.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

jivjov posted:

Part of me feels bad for the cheerleaders, especially because I know that I have a great deal of trouble opening my eyes underwater...but man; 5 tries at one challenge....you kinda deserve the loss at the point.

I think it was a brutal challenge to have to repeat if you're just a casual swimmer. But anyway, I'm happy with the final three teams. The dancers had so many confused moments this season they didn't deserve that spot.

This seemed like another short leg with not much to do. I'm not sure what's up with that.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

hepscat posted:

This seemed like another short leg with not much to do. I'm not sure what's up with that.

There was a decent amount of travel in there, the ferry alone is an hour+customs (although customs there is pretty quick). But yah I hear you.

I think its really dicey to get from kowloon to hk ferry terminal, get tickets, and onto the next boat in under half an hour even if there was no traffic. So they probably made the right choice of just getting on there and taking the penalty. Well, if they had actually realized they screwed up. Seemed like they might have when the right class of tickets weren't available.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't hate the green team, but I was disappointed that the preview didn't show them plummeting into an active volcano...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I thought that was one of the best endings particularly for the penultimate episode.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The Green Team is more fun to watch when they're losing. They're very :smug: when they win, but if they're in anything less than first place they're sobbing and screaming at each other.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
The instant that Team Green falls out of first place Justin becomes just as hostile and bitter as Team Paparazzi. It's evident that he is super passionate about the race, but usually a team that places emphasis on winning above all other priorities - including the happiness of their teammate/partner - are not easy to root for.

The girls were pretty horrible in the early legs ("We're ~athletes!~" :qq:), but this week their attitude, if not their aptitude, was impressive. This final three has me rooting for the milquetoast reporters, but I'd rather see the Paparazzi win over Justin. Not for Green's smugness, which is well deserved, but for how Justin acts toward Diana when things get rough.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

He certainly turns into a little poo poo when things aren't going their way. Thankfully she at least calls him on it, which leads me to believe he's not normally like that and his obsession with the race is all consuming. It is definitely hard to root for them at times though when they are counting up 1st places finishes. They have really built a narrative so far of the reporters winning and finally finishing in first. If so, I am ok with that. Justin and Diana have done well enough and been big enough characters that I think 100% they will be back on the race if they don't win.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm just more annoyed at the amount of green team screen time. Justin is obnoxious at the best of times but being forced to watch him so much on the previous episodes was brutal. On youtube they put up a bunch of the deleted scenes and there was a ton of context there that would've made some of the episodes more memorable. The cheerleaders ran out of money and the Texans bailed them out, it was a pretty cool thing that got glossed over in a 2 second reference and totally setup the "drama" for episode 8 when they were both facing elimination. But hey let's not air that, instead we will have hours of Justin's obnoxious bragging when things are going well and his ridiculous tears when they aren't. At least this past episode was a bit more fair.

Anyways they're going to win because they're really good but this season wasn't much fun to watch due to the focus on them IMO.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I stopped watching after episode 3 because the Green team sapped all the enjoyment out of the show. I hope they not win and the show gets canceled before they get a second chance/ they get blackballed form all CBS reality shows.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
The announced racer list from next year is a bunch of youtube "stars" and looks super depressing, I guess they're trying to chase a young demographic. Hopefully the show comes up with a DMCA takedown challenge instead of checking their Fitbit while reversing a Ford Focus.

It can't be worse than JustinTV though.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
i have no idea why people hate the green team so much

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The thing is that the course this season isn't really that bad. The new Speed Bump is pretty punishing. Problem is the cast.

Also we haven't seen a Fast Forward all season. Are they just not showing them?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

ApplesandOranges posted:

The thing is that the course this season isn't really that bad. The new Speed Bump is pretty punishing. Problem is the cast.

The Texas team used their Fast Forward at the worst possible time. Not sure if a second one showed up.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wasn't there one early on, maybe even the first leg? I think it involved going hang gliding but there was too much wind so it got called off. I remember the green team going out of their way for it and getting behind leading to Justin weeping and panicking for the rest of the leg.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Riptor posted:

I really hate when Justin comes in to pretty much any challenge and screams "Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!". During the India legs he did this in pretty much every scene he was in, and it just drives me up the wall. I'm rooting for team Paparazzi to win, but mostly cause I can't remember a single thing about team 2nd place and I hate Justin a lot.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Riptor posted:

Too much screen time vs other teams, Justin is absolutely obnoxious, they're bragging shitheads when winning and mopey crybabies when losing, Justin literally crying over any hardship, etc etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

GaussianCopula posted:

I hope they not win

I hope they not win too.

I not hope show cancelled.

• Locked thread