Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Hoohah posted:

Not sure what I should use for my 'dps' slot if I'm three boxing then.

Edit: I suppose I could do something comical like warrior shaman bard and just recruit dps all the time.

What's your end goal? If you are just looking to group and mess around SK > Pal > War for grouping. The strongest traditional 3-box is probably SK, Shaman or Cleric, Mage. Strongest overall is 2 mages and a druid, enchanter, or necro depending on preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Monks are the best melees since fist ratio is broken and getting magic gloves is really easy, but mage is probably best group dps, wizards are also good since you have easy access to all the raid zones. Porting really saves a ton of time. Melees get origin too so you can optimize racial starting zones that way if you really wanted

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 4, 2015

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Malt posted:

What's your end goal? If you are just looking to group and mess around SK > Pal > War for grouping. The strongest traditional 3-box is probably SK, Shaman or Cleric, Mage. Strongest overall is 2 mages and a druid, enchanter, or necro depending on preference.

I understand that but I'm not decided on what to do. If the servers turn out not to be complete poo poo like I'm imaging they will be, I've always played warrior for raiding and will always play warrior. Defensive also allows me to take on some things earlier than I should or can't period otherwise. I also like melee/hybrid melee more than casters for a bunch of reasons, mostly because I'm horrible at mana management for dps.

Last time my group was:
1) warrior, bard, cleric, enchanter, rogue, druid to start
2) warrior, bard, cleric, berserker, rogue, shaman once I realized I was being a moron
3) warrior, bard, cleric, ranger, rogue, shaman once our guild completely ran out of rangers

Having no rez will be painful but I'm sure I can overcome. Current thought now is warrior rogue shaman, and if I can sort out remote desktop crap on other box, bard.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I'll brave the danger with you karael

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

darkhand posted:

I'll brave the danger with you karael

:toot:

Some echoes of elysium folks might be in, including Aneia. Whether he plays cleric again or not, who knows.

If they open a second server, I'd probably jump to that even if I've been poking at the first one for a few days.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Can we make a goon guild please

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

RCarr posted:

Can we make a goon guild please

I was actually going to suggest that. We could even talk about classes that we want to play - I can probably play anything that fits whatever anyone else does. I have years of classic bard and I would be willing to play one again if they have /melody, but I'm down for just about anything except maybe warrior or rogue since I find early pure melee classes in EQ to be very dull. I think that I would enjoy enchanting again, but I know how important clerics are in early EQ and wizards can bring the pain if you don't mind nuking once and then doing gently caress all for 40 seconds.

(No offence Hoohah)

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
That or we all join a pubbie guild, there was not an organized goon presence on RF or LJ. How many people are planning to play?

I'm split on Ench or Cleric. Ench is definitely better solo but Cleric would be fun since raids will actually be accessible to non poopsockers now.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
A serverwide goon channel would be better than making a guild I think. A "goon guild" would just be dead in the span of a month. If there is a guild that is full of chill dudes that would take goon refugees that would be good too.

Call the channel "goonguild"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Dracneir posted:

That or we all join a pubbie guild, there was not an organized goon presence on RF or LJ. How many people are planning to play?

I'm split on Ench or Cleric. Ench is definitely better solo but Cleric would be fun since raids will actually be accessible to non poopsockers now.

That too. I can only realistically play for the few weeks of winter break, but I want to try it. I can play Ench/Bard if you want to cleric or vice versa. I will say that enchanter & bard back in early EQ was fantastic mana regen.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'd prefer a channel since I already have plans to piggyback onto someone else's guild and the last time I helped run a guild someone kept robbing the bank and Too Much Work.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Givin posted:

A serverwide goon channel would be better than making a guild I think. A "goon guild" would just be dead in the span of a month. If there is a guild that is full of chill dudes that would take goon refugees that would be good too.

Call the channel "goonguild"

/j severwide.gchat:fygm

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

We should try to get all the spare goons in the same pubbie guild then at least.

Edit: I can't believe I'm excited to play this game again. How much would I realistically have to spend to grab a laptop off Ebay that's capable of running this game well?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 5, 2015

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

RCarr posted:

Edit: I can't believe I'm excited to play this game again. How much would I realistically have to spend to grab a laptop off Ebay that's capable of running this game well?

I've been playing since 2011 on $400 black friday laptops.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

RCarr posted:

We should try to get all the spare goons in the same pubbie guild then at least.

I use a cheap i3 processor laptop and it runs well - you really don't need much grunt to run EQ.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
There's people talking about boxing with tablets so I'm pretty sure you could just grab any random shitbox made in the last decade and it'd probably run EQ.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
People on forums are saying the level 53 restriction on Naggy/Vox kills doesn't affect instance versions so you don't get banished for over leveling them.. That's pretty rad. The bad part is you have to someone con 5 other people into taking the lockout with you if you want to farm it forever.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Some interesting changes to aggro on test right now.

quote:

- Adjusted how NPCs choose a melee target in relation to player pets:
- - It is now possible for a pet to be the target of an NPC's melee attacks if it has the highest aggro with other players in range.
- - This behavior can be adjusted on a per NPC basis and will currently be disabled for all current and previous raid difficulty NPCs.
- - It is additionally possible for some NPCs to ignore the hatred generated by pets and instead attribute a portion of that hatred toward the owner. This behavior will be in play on raid targets on progression servers.
- Adjusted how NPCs choose a melee target when they are rooted: NPCs will now choose to hit the target that they hate the most that is within melee range. Previously NPCs would simply hit the nearest hated target.

So that's that for pet walling raid encounters. On the plus side you can actually use a mage pet as a proper tank in groups with melee characters. However...

quote:

- Made further adjustments to the power curve of pets prior to the release of the Shadows of Luclin expansion.

...maybe that won't be quite so viable? I'm gonna hop on test and do a little contrast/compare with my 52 mage and see what's different.

Edit: Lv.49 water pet still hits the same as it does on live.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 6, 2015

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Republicans posted:

...maybe that won't be quite so viable? I'm gonna hop on test and do a little contrast/compare with my 52 mage and see what's different.

Let us know - the mage domination was getting ridiculous. Even on Live it was a disproportionately popular class because it was essentially two characters in one... a powerful nuker and a great tank in one toon is just overdoing it.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
If this works, will it be necessary to buff bosses ? I hope all these superguilds still run in with 50 plus mages and get the poo poo stomped out of them.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Pets were just one part of the equation, power creep is still there. Characters are still stronger than they were on live in 99, not to mention the massive amount of information freely available nowadays. Along with the fact it probably won't take ten thousand years to get ready for a dragon fight now that most people aren't on pentiums and 56k connections.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Idk I think classic was tuned pretty well on ragefire. Mages weren't all that great against the buffed bosses. I never raided with an inordinate amount of mages and we took a huge poo poo on the other guilds till forced rotations. So idk where people get the 50 mages raids.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Trying to get a setup that will allow me to play multiple characters is a complete non-starter for me. Poked at at least 10 different ways of laying out keyboards, mice, monitors, keyboards, laptops, etc and I just can't handle it after the ease of use that isboxer with six characters on a single comp provides. Unfotunately, ragefire and lockjaw sound like they're cancer and the unlocks are simply too long to hold my interest, so guess I get to pass on this oh darn.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Hoohah posted:

Trying to get a setup that will allow me to play multiple characters is a complete non-starter for me. Poked at at least 10 different ways of laying out keyboards, mice, monitors, keyboards, laptops, etc and I just can't handle it after the ease of use that isboxer with six characters on a single comp provides. Unfotunately, ragefire and lockjaw sound like they're cancer and the unlocks are simply too long to hold my interest, so guess I get to pass on this oh darn.

Use isboxer across multiple PCs?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It'd be pretty comical if DBG breaks the common ways of single computer boxing but misses out on isboxer broadcasting over multiple PCs. I'd certainly appreciate if they didn't break it but wouldn't break my heart if they did. Thought about boxing a ranger/shaman but I'm feeling way too goddamn lazy to get my ISboxer back the way I like it which gives me a convenient excuse to not set it back up again.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Hoohah posted:

Isboxer allows you to control all those characters, on different computers, through your main computer. The only real big downside to having to use multiple computers is you cannot do the videoFX that you can on a single computer.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Bahanahab posted:

Isboxer allows you to control all those characters, on different computers, through your main computer. The only real big downside to having to use multiple computers is you cannot do the videoFX that you can on a single computer.

I was reading about it and it looked like you couldn't do swapping at all. My understanding is you could broadcast keys and commands, but I couldn't swap windows and control a second character using one PC while the rest are just slaved to it. That gap (which to overcome would require the extra peripherals I mentioned) is enough that it wouldn't be the same. Am I wrong?

In short what I want to do is this:
1) Set isboxer across multiple PC slaved to my main
2) Have main game on monitor one, the mini windows on monitor 2
3) If I select a mini window on 2, it becomes main window on 1 and I have full control of that instance

The way it sounds, I cannot do 2 or 3, which is the bare minimum I'm considering to play since I just don't have the setup or willpower to be reaching across 3 different keyboards / mice. And not playing more than 1 character isn't going to happen.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hoohah posted:

I was reading about it and it looked like you couldn't do swapping at all. My understanding is you could broadcast keys and commands, but I couldn't swap windows and control a second character using one PC while the rest are just slaved to it. That gap (which to overcome would require the extra peripherals I mentioned) is enough that it wouldn't be the same. Am I wrong?

In short what I want to do is this:
1) Set isboxer across multiple PC slaved to my main
2) Have main game on monitor one, the mini windows on monitor 2
3) If I select a mini window on 2, it becomes main window on 1 and I have full control of that instance

The way it sounds, I cannot do 2 or 3, which is the bare minimum I'm considering to play since I just don't have the setup or willpower to be reaching across 3 different keyboards / mice. And not playing more than 1 character isn't going to happen.

If you want to go hardcore about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Devor posted:

If you want to go hardcore about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch

This is easier http://synergy-project.org/

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Does something like this let me run EQ on for example my work computer? While EQ is remotely running at my desktop at home?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

RCarr posted:

It doesn't require much. The important thing is just to turn off Shadows and Dynamic Lighting; those two (particularly shadows) are killers. You can also get a lot of extra performance by turning down the View Distance.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Hmm. This might be the answer I was looking for.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

lemonslol posted:

Does something like this let me run EQ on for example my work computer? While EQ is remotely running at my desktop at home?

This is for using a common keyboard and mouse for multiple local computers, kinda like a KVM.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Think I'm going to keep things really simple with a boxed priest on an old laptop. On the box just have audio triggers setup for oom/out of range/being hit etc, and just use a cheap usb numpad to control it. Takes up minimal deskspace and will only use the laptop keyboard for exceptional stuff.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Pets being able to tank for PCs is making me consider monk/mage. Monk chain pulls to the pet and the mage keeps the monk in throwing weapons/bandages/weightless bags. Certainly makes breaking into camps by myself easy.

Of course, I could just play two mages and have two OP pets murder everything without any faffing about.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 7, 2015

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I'm at a crossroads for launch. Here are just some random thoughts I've had about this.

I originally wanted to start a druid because I knew I'd want to PL a melee later on down the road. However I also want to get in on the dungeon leveling experience and druids don't really fit in that master plan of leveling at a server launch.

There is always bard. Everyone loves a bard. I suspect there will be hundreds of them.

Shaman falls into the same boat as druid only more of a pain in the rear end to solo. I'd make a innoruuk troll shaman as to get the snare necklace.

Starting as any melee is going to be a big pain in the rear end. I was a rogue at launch until I quit so I don't want to do that again. Rangers are garbage until PoP or so which isn't so bad I guess because we'll be there this time next year. If I were to tank I think I'd want to be a Tunare Paladin. They get that pretty neat sword in Velious that's better/equal to the paladin epic that's easy to get. No iksar monks in at launch so not really interested there.

I have zero interest in playing a pure dps caster or enchanter. Wizard maybe since it's low key and nobody expects much out of you.

Yeah I'm pretty terrible at making decisions.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Givin posted:

There is always bard. Everyone loves a bard. I suspect there will be hundreds of them.

I'm curious... why do you think that there will be lots of bards? Even with /melody, and I'm still not sure if that will be available, I kind of doubt that. They were by far the rarest class in early EQ, which I can say from ample experience, and I don't see a (huge) convenience feature like /melody making a big difference.

Edit: I am kind of keen to play an enchanter again because I had one on Test that I maxed out and, while they aren't nearly as versatile or have the DPS in classic EQ, crowd control is very important.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 7, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Everything is pretty good at launch actually, except rangers, but even then they aren't that bad. Classic is pretty generous. The LFG window actually worked and I was getting tells for groups pretty regularly, and I played a necro, which isn't really needed anywhere. Or you just start groups yourself by finding a tank and healer/whatever else. People are actually populating zones so even if you don't have a cleric in group, you can find one close to res your friends or whatever.

Melees are fun when you don't want to manage mana, but mana management is pretty easy on TLP nothing should really stop you if you want to play caster either. Monks are really strong and fun to try to pull with, rogues are cool if you want permanent invis on demand, and their damage goes up a lot in Kunark, they are a little worse than monks in vanilla tho. Just remember with melee, almost ANY kind of soloing is right-out.

I only grouped with a few bards on TLP when I played.

SK aggro is easy mode, but warriors are pretty good once you start dual wielding good ratio weapons.

Wizards are good because ports are insanely useful, and their aggro/mana management is a lot easier now a days than it used to be. Enchanters are grossly strong in classic.

Basically boils down to what you want to do.
Want to group and be a cool guy? Pick anything
Want to be able to solo sometimes? Necro, enchanter, mage
Want to be able to travel really loving easy? Druid/Wizard.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 7, 2015

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I really don't think you're going to see as many bards as you think. Not enough shiny numbers and their soloing is a shadow of what it is/was compared to P99. They also don't get a lot of their really shiny stuff like overhaste until velious (or was it luclin?). Still going to play one since I love bards but if you're expecting to chant kite or aoe the crap out of zones boy are you going to be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Yeah, I'm really overthinking poo poo I know. I'll just play a bard and a shaman and call it a day. I like thinking about EverQuest tho!