Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

MadSparkle posted:

goddammit, what the hell is going on? I can't watch this poo poo for another day and i need to know what's happening!

Detective's the Ten Commandments killer. He actually went to the Hotel Cortez five years ago after that bad case with the dead family and got scooped up into everything way back then. He's confessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
On the plus side, American Crime Story looks good.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Well, John's backstory was mildly interesting I suppose, but it really dragged through the entire episode and nothing was particularly noteworthy or gasp-worthy. The way they finally admitted he was the killer was pretty awful in fact, and this episode failed to make up for being so blatant about it beforehand. They did that thing again where they introduce new details and then expect us to care about them immediately ("You had coffee with my wife?!")

But with five episodes left, what are we supposed to be longing for now? John's a killer, Alex is a vampire governess, Donovan and Ramona probably won't succeed in killing Gaga before she marries that guy who's done nothing but show his butt, we'll never see the vampire kids or Valentino again, and the Addiction Demon is just sort of there because.

Can't believe I'm going to say this, but part of me kind of hopes that the Coven will check in to meet a girl in L.A. whose parents won't let her join.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Parasol Prophet posted:

Detective's the Ten Commandments killer. He actually went to the Hotel Cortez five years ago after that bad case with the dead family and got scooped up into everything way back then. He's confessing.

Good lord. I was hoping for something less obvious.
Thanks for explaining though.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
Maybe they're framing him to think he's the killer? I need to watch this poo poo tomorrow. NOW. Goddamn all of this.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I stopped watching this season after the 2nd ep. Did it get better?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

a cop posted:

I stopped watching this season after the 2nd ep. Did it get better?

Yes.

But then it got worse.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

OmegaBR posted:

On the plus side, American Crime Story looks good.

My main issue with this season of AHS is that there's a lot of potential there but very little of it builds or develops into recognizable arcs. With American Crime Story they already have the structure of the true story to work with so hopefully that won't be a problem.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
~A SHOCKING TWIST~

followed by flashback monologuing for the rest of the episode, wheeeee

at least Evan Peters hamming it up as Marsh is pretty fun I guess?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Marsh continues to be the best part of this season for me.

Also good God that bit of Alex saying "if I didn't love you and if we didn't have kids, I'd tell you to leave". That's like the "I'm not racist, but" of spousal anger. We get it, Holden was the last thread keeping this together, but good God.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

nice to see AATrek having a guest spot in this show

"I just write about movies on the Internet"

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I haven't really been following the thread, but Pavel Petel was The Countess for Halloween and it was pretty great. No idea who Liz Taylor is but it was also pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGa8VRChQlQ

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The most telegraphed plot twist in history wouldn't feel so insulting if it didn't last for an hour. There's only two more episodes, but I'm not sure I want to watch more.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Who cares, Evan Peters was loving GLORIOUS. I only know I love watching Peters' March, who's like some demented Gomez Addams (if there is such a thing as a more demented version of him). I liked this episode. I never really paid too much attention to the serial killer thing, so having it be the most obvious person is actually okay. Maybe now they can move on to something different, like Tristan/Liz and More March or the little outbreak with the kids in school. Or Valentino and the Countess. Anything but this stupid serial killer plot line.
It was kind of cool though how the evangelist on TV had TCK Ministries written on the screen.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

MadSparkle posted:

Gomez Addams (if there is such a thing as a more demented version of him).

Hey, Gomez Addams actually loves his wife/family.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Parasol Prophet posted:

Hey, Gomez Addams actually loves his wife/family.

I know, I know. But he just has these occasional tics that make me think of Gomez. Plus I love Raul Julia.

And March still seems to have the hots for the countess.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Ohhhhh I just had the dumbest idea for the last episode of this season.

Jessica Lange makes a cameo as Constance and checks into the Cortez with her antichrist grandson

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

MadSparkle posted:

Who cares, Evan Peters was loving GLORIOUS. I only know I love watching Peters' March, who's like some demented Gomez Addams (if there is such a thing as a more demented version of him). I liked this episode. I never really paid too much attention to the serial killer thing, so having it be the most obvious person is actually okay. Maybe now they can move on to something different, like Tristan/Liz and More March or the little outbreak with the kids in school. Or Valentino and the Countess. Anything but this stupid serial killer plot line.
It was kind of cool though how the evangelist on TV had TCK Ministries written on the screen.

This is true. Watching Peters play March is possibly the most enjoyable thing about this entire season for me. It made last night's episode enjoyable with as much Match as they crammed in there.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

MadSparkle posted:

Maybe they're framing him to think he's the killer? I need to watch this poo poo tomorrow. NOW. Goddamn all of this.

I almost thought they were toward the end when his partner was trying to convince him he was confused. Then he got stabbed because he mentioned he had coffee with MY WIFE?!

I guess they could still go that route and double twist it, but that would require all those memories he suddenly remembered to have been planted there by March and/or Sally. And we're already supposed to believe he lost his memory every time he stepped out of the Cortez, but remembered enough to keep going back.

For being such a dullard, he was fairly sympathetic, but most of that is out the window now after all that sex with Sally and embracing of muder, even if it was March's plan that pushed him over the edge. If the prediction that John becomes the new March and Alex becomes the new Countess comes trues, I hope they at least pull a Mr. Brooks and have Scarlett revel in murder, bonus if it's one or more of the classroom vamps.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Goddammit now I just want an Addams Family reboot with Evan Peters as Gomez. All he'd have to do is add a touch of Groucho to his James March performance an crank the ham up to eleven.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The back half of this season is starting to become very Coven like with its dropped storylines and wrapping up a main story with the most obvious ending.

Dennis O'Hare and Evan Peters are still killing it though.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

That's sort of why I don't care about storyline so much this season. The serial killer thing sort of bored me from the beginning and so did Alex/John. But for the most part the entire cast (with exceptions of Valnetino and his gawdawful accent) major and minor are doing a tremendous job this season and I wonder if it's because Lange is not longer around so they're somehow allowed to spread their wings or something. The rest of the storyline is fine, and I don't really mind if it's not cohesive.
And no, I really don't feel it's like Coven. Coven was so goddamn cheesy and awful.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Remember that one episode Angela Basset was in?

This show, even last season, has always had great acting, set design, cinematography, costuming, etc.

Plot is what has been missing and unfortunately still is. This is still the third best season of AHS, it's just not as close to the first 2 as it initially appeared (imo, obviously).

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Oh hell, nothing compares to the first 2 season, I know. They were more plot driven as well as character driven. This season is more character driven but the place is lacking the same intimacy as Murder House, or Asylum even though it's a specific location. I can't quite put my finger on it.
I actually thought the acting was weak in Coven and last season in comparison to this season but it's probably more due to the roles themselves being somewhat more dull. Of course there were a couple of exceptional characters but for the most part I found the characters themselves weak/diluted or wasted.
The main weak characters for me this season have been Alex (Zzzzzz) and John (Zzz...I thought Wes Bentley was a far better actor but he's been quite dull. The one thing he's had going for him is a Don Draper-ish quality in his appearance when I narrow my eyes). Even Lady Gaga is ok. Tristan is fine as Tristan but was terrible as Valentino but it was only really for one episode so it's ok. It was his accent though that had me scratching my ears off.
The cast is large however, and all of them have been phenomenal. And the plot is all over the place but it somehow works for me.

MadSparkle fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 4, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That episode didn't tell us much we didn't already know or take for granted but I'm really impressed that it managed touch on a lot of seemingly random or unrelated events over the course of the show in a way that strung them all together into a mostly coherent story. It's been a long time since that's happened.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

why did the detective have the photo of a random suicide victim from ten years ago on his iphone

I wish the Ten Commandment Killer storyline was better, because its consistently been the weakest part of the show.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 5, 2015

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

so i didn't catch it but what's the deal with Sarah Paulson and the rapeghost?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The Saddest Rhino posted:

so i didn't catch it but what's the deal with Sarah Paulson and the rapeghost?

The Rape Ghost is supposed to be pursuing her, but Paulson somehow made a deal with the hotel that redirects the ghost to the guests instead.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Yeah something about addict ghosts manifests the demon, but March can somehow keep hers at bay. That's why she went out to get him a victim for his serial killer party.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Which means at some point she'll fail and we'll all sit through another gratuitous rape-murder scene, because I really don't think this show knows how to do anything else with the concept.

Like, if you went to Ryan Murphy and asked "Hey, what's the plan for Sally and this addiction demon thing?" he'd look at you like you were crazy, because there's only one answer.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I gave up on this show after the second episode, should I continue?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Golem II posted:

The season is just below Murder House in terms of quality. Everyone except the detective is pretty solid.

I would continue.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

so is Sally a zombie or what

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

QuoProQuid posted:

The season is just below Murder House in terms of quality. Everyone except the detective is pretty solid.

I would continue.

It isn't getting better than the early episodes were, imo. Maybe try one more and if it still isn't for you don't bother.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I still really wish that this whole season was about a manic, charming serial killer's ghost and his ditzy ex-model vampire apprentice.

And yes, that was an idea that the show actually hinted at.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah really the whole problem with this season is the detective. He's so important to the story but his actor is actually terrible. Objectively awful. He tries to talk in a batman voice to display rage.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Hostile V posted:

I still really wish that this whole season was about a manic, charming serial killer's ghost and his ditzy ex-model vampire apprentice.

And yes, that was an idea that the show actually hinted at.

Oh yeah I remember the Countess said something about smelling the rage in him. Guess he has the same aura as Boring Detective but maybe not the drive to be a mass murderer.

I want to see interactions between Liz Taylor and March. I have no idea what it would look like.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

Yeah really the whole problem with this season is the detective. He's so important to the story but his actor is actually terrible. Objectively awful. He tries to talk in a batman voice to display rage.

It's clear to me (esp. from the music design) that they wanted to do their own little Silent Hill style plot with him. It feels like that every time his story is up, and never when his story isn't up. It might be the music, which also has a super similar vibe, making me think that though.

Golem II posted:

Yep, this has turned into a fun season. It's still batshit crazy (It IS AHS) but it's not frustratingly incoherent like Coven or dreadfully boring like Freak Show. It's definitely one of the better seasons.

TheBizzness posted:

The back half of this season is starting to become very Coven like with its dropped storylines and wrapping up a main story with the most obvious ending.

Oh come on, as super predictable as this was there's no way I can compare this to Coven. You might forget just how bad it was. I still remember the woman who decides to let a bunch of 20 year olds in suits burn her while screaming incoherent drivel for.. reasons. I still remember Kathy Bates having a season long redemption arc followed by "Hahha just kidding I learned nothing!" I still remember how the witchhunters showed up and were surprised the witches were dangerous. Taking out a main character off-screen in a bathtub. Characters getting strangled by other characters, who not 30 minutes ago, they had total control over. I still remember the loving BEES.

And of course, who careswill be next supreme?! You know, the thing that is in-title only and completely undefined? The show practically was screaming "GET INVESTED!!!" even though it was utterly and completely pointless.

... also if they ever crossover with Coven it'd break the show because they came out and apparently the entire world happily believes in magic now.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 7, 2015

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
This series has really turned to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Can of Cloud posted:

This series has really turned to poo poo.

Ugh it really has. That last episode was just a 40 min long exposition party.

This season has my favorite dropped plots so far in the series: army of vampire children, Blaxploitation Bassett, and detective's daughter (with no mother or father now, lives with "grandma"-- AHS: Riding Hood anyone?). I'm thinking they may get back to Bassett with the whole Everybody Hates Gaga thing going on, but vamp kid army? Two eps left? Its gonna be exposition city again.

• Locked thread