Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

You guys have people who honestly spend $6000 on just Christmas?

That isn't real that, because that is a goodly portion of my take home pay for the year.

Someone post that wsg infographic that has the people suffering from a tax increase when they are making over 200k a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oh wait its not abour rape anymore

gonna have to withdraw my nomination there soz

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ianmacdo posted:

Someone post that wsg infographic that has the people suffering from a tax increase when they are making over 200k a year

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

You guys have people who honestly spend $6000 on just Christmas?

That isn't real that, because that is a goodly portion of my take home pay for the year.
If the kranks have big showy lightshows yeah. Especially with incandescents over LEDs

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/25/luxury/christmas-lights-holiday-displays/

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Gods wounds no wonder everyone hates the rich over there. At least ours have the good graces to have some level of style on occasion.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Eat the rich, the poo will be worth its weight as fertilizer.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Every time I see this I laugh at the 'Income: Kibble' part and I don't really know why anymore.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what's a Henry Offense in this context? Google tells me nothing.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

darkwasthenight posted:

Every time I see this I laugh at the 'Income: Kibble' part and I don't really know why anymore.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what's a Henry Offense in this context? Google tells me nothing.

HENRY is an acronym for High Earning, Not Rich Yet.
I.e. they make 250k a year but they're not a billionaire so don't call us rich we're middle class.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

darkwasthenight posted:

Wealthy people who don't think they are wealthy call themselves "HENRYs" which stands for "High Earner Not Rich Yet."

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Krinkle posted:

HENRY is an acronym for High Earning, Not Rich Yet.
I.e. they make 250k a year but they're not a billionaire so don't call us rich we're middle class.

I seriously thought it had something to do with the french revolutution and was confused why they were using british kings

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Millenials :rolleye:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
My IIMM is when people lay a blanket claim that the book was always better. It's annoying for no reason and makes me want to start an argument. Psycho was a much better movie than book, so was godfather 1&2. You can make arguments both ways for movies like The Shining, Gone with the Wind, Shawshank Redemption, or the True Grit's(either). The book is not always better than the movie.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Phillip K Dick is a guy who wrote a poo poo load of short stories someone else adapts into a fantastic movie.
Like, We Can Remember It For You Wholesale was 20 pages long. He finds out they wiped his spy memory past and his wife makes some dumb comment that makes him want to go get his memory back and there's a mexican stand off and they calm down and agree to wipe his brain again to see if it takes. He never gets his rear end to mars he never puts on a fat lady suit he never sees the three tittied lady.
I mean they're good short stories but they've been made into some fantastic movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

funmanguy posted:

My IIMM is when people lay a blanket claim that the book was always better. It's annoying for no reason and makes me want to start an argument. Psycho was a much better movie than book, so was godfather 1&2. You can make arguments both ways for movies like The Shining, Gone with the Wind, Shawshank Redemption, or the True Grit's(either). The book is not always better than the movie.

The novel version of The Prestige has a really weird modern day framing device where the main character discovers that Angier is a spooky ghost because someone broke the machine partway through the teleportation process.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Krinkle posted:

Phillip K Dick is a guy who wrote a poo poo load of short stories someone else adapts into a fantastic movie.
Like, We Can Remember It For You Wholesale was 20 pages long. He finds out they wiped his spy memory past and his wife makes some dumb comment that makes him want to go get his memory back and there's a mexican stand off and they calm down and agree to wipe his brain again to see if it takes. He never gets his rear end to mars he never puts on a fat lady suit he never sees the three tittied lady.
I mean they're good short stories but they've been made into some fantastic movies.

Also, Bladerunner and Running Man.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Minority Report is my favorite example of this because iirc the short story takes the firm position that precrime is a great idea and it's a total one in a million fluke that things went wrong this time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Edit: NVM, didn't refresh thread.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Dec 5, 2015

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Aleph Null posted:

Also, Bladerunner and Running Man.

Running Man was Stephen King. The movie has a character played by Arnie called 'Ben Richards'. Yes, I believe that is that man's name.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Who is this "Steven King" fellow? Running man was written by Richard Bachman, idiot.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Running Man book is amazing because the hero literally 9/11s the bad guys and it was written decades before that was even a thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also in the book the only way poor people can make money is by going on dangerous and humiliating TV shows.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this? posted:

Also in the book the only way poor people can make money is by going on dangerous and humiliating TV shows.

And the contestants for the lethal game shows are specifically selected by their likelihood to cause trouble against the system - so, union men, the intelligent, and basically anyone who aspires to be more than they are.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I always confuse running man with marathon man. The second one is stephen king right? The "is it safe?" movie?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Krinkle posted:

I always confuse running man with marathon man. The second one is stephen king right? The "is it safe?" movie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bachman

:crossarms:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Remember, Hogwarts is completely safe from intrusion. You can't apparate there, after all, we're told about a million times over the series.

But you can enchant a cup. Or fly. Or use a house elf to teleport. Or be an animagus and just walk onto the grounds. Or sprinkle some powder into a fireplace.

Yep, totally safe.

I dig this as its like real life where the state tells you all is well and safe but it's not.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Jesus I thought the movie about a future tv show murder race was Phillip K Dick, and the movie about the weird nazi tooth torture was stephen king. All the styles checked out. I was pretty drat sure.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Marathon Man is William goldman I think.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Yeah I looked it up I'm saying I was wrong on both counts and I just can't believe it. It fit my worldview of the two authors so cleanly.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Holy poo poo. I read William Goldman as William Golding (or confused the two) and thought that Marathon Man and Lord of the Flies were written by the same dude.

Marathon Man is awesome but I have an irrational irritation with it. How did the villain have time to set up Dustin Hoffman's character with the femme fatale who leads him to the old farm house? He barely had time to meet her at the college. How did the villain(s) know she could get him to trust her and fall for her so quickly?

Both Lord of the Flies movies are pretty great and I have no irrational irritation with them.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo. I read William Goldman as William Golding (or confused the two) and thought that Marathon Man and Lord of the Flies were written by the same dude.

Marathon Man is awesome but I have an irrational irritation with it. How did the villain have time to set up Dustin Hoffman's character with the femme fatale who leads him to the old farm house? He barely had time to meet her at the college. How did the villain(s) know she could get him to trust her and fall for her so quickly?

Both Lord of the Flies movies are pretty great and I have no irrational irritation with them.

It's one of those plot holes that are forgivable imo because the whole movie itself is so good. Themes, motivations, acting, everything basically works and entertains and thrills.

The Is it safe? scene is so intense and I literally have the opposite of dentophobia or whatever it's called. To be fair I broke a tooth 20 years ago so I get a lot of dental care.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
I suspect the Marathon Man mixup was your brain trying to protect you from recalling that Apt Pupil was made into a motion picture. Yep, the King story where a kid blackmails an aged Nazi-in-hiding into telling him horrible Nazi stories, and then starts fantasizing about being a Nazi concentration camp officer all the time and starts killing homeless people, and finally goes on a shooting spree. Also the old Nazi kills cats in his oven. How can we lose?? The Shawshank Redemption made so much money! Stephen King is box office gold!!

. . . oh.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I suspect the Marathon Man mixup was your brain trying to protect you from recalling that Apt Pupil was made into a motion picture. Yep, the King story where a kid blackmails an aged Nazi-in-hiding into telling him horrible Nazi stories, and then starts fantasizing about being a Nazi concentration camp officer all the time and starts killing homeless people, and finally goes on a shooting spree. Also the old Nazi kills cats in his oven. How can we lose?? The Shawshank Redemption made so much money! Stephen King is box office gold!!

. . . oh.

Ian McKellan was pretty good in that, as in all things. Guess it didn't save the fail-pile but he did his best.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

. . . oh.

Shawshank was a sleeper hit though I think. If you wanna talk about hit King movies I think only Carrie made a decent return from the cinemas. Like, Misery is pretty good, Dolores Claiborn, etc, but they didn't make that hollywood money. Bunch of TV specials and series that don't count.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
My mistake, I looked it up and Shawshank definitely was not a big moneymaker. I still have no idea why anyone ever thought to adapt Apt Pupil though.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

My mistake, I looked it up and Shawshank definitely was not a big moneymaker. I still have no idea why anyone ever thought to adapt Apt Pupil though.

Bryan Singer needs to legitimize his access to boy rear end.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

imo boy rear end doesnt need an excuse

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Shawshank was a sleeper hit though I think. If you wanna talk about hit King movies I think only Carrie made a decent return from the cinemas. Like, Misery is pretty good, Dolores Claiborn, etc, but they didn't make that hollywood money. Bunch of TV specials and series that don't count.

Stand By Me made a good amount of money

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Shining did ok, even though it was a slow burner.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

KozmoNaut posted:

The Shining did ok, even though it was a slow burner.

To be fair, it was also a Kubrick film so it pretty much had a guaranteed audience. Also it is extremely different from the book (though as already noted, so is Running Man!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, it was also a Kubrick film so it pretty much had a guaranteed audience. Also it is extremely different from the book (though as already noted, so is Running Man!)

That was when king started getting involved in his own movies because he didn't like the changes being made in the Shining.

And the only moment I remember from the Lord of the Flies movie is the hilarious black and white American one where piggy gets hit by an obviously styrofoam boulder.

"Piggy noooooo" -boink-