Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I loving HATE the new Smart Cover. The old covers folded into itself nicely so the inner side that faces the screen wasn't exposed while you lay the iPad down somewhere or if you used it as a stand. This one just feels weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Got the iPad mini 4 today, :toot: side by side apps, speakers are better than the mini 2 too. Doesn't seem too much louder, but definitely fuller, and doesn't vibrate the body like the Air 2 speakers do. Volume buttons being higher up is throwing me off though, and the home button is way off center vertically now :argh:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I loving HATE the new Smart Cover. The old covers folded into itself nicely so the inner side that faces the screen wasn't exposed while you lay the iPad down somewhere or if you used it as a stand. This one just feels weird.
Old ones being the quad panel ones? They were meant to fold with the inner side facing out too :ssh:

japtor fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 1, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can fold the new covers with either side facing out.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Trip report on Pro, since launch day:

Still love it. Selling my laptop as I haven't touched it in weeks. Remote into my Mini if I need to, everything else is just there and working great. I wish some apps would hurry and update (Google apps, Netflix, vudu, a few more) for split screen though.
I've never used an external kb, and still don't need to...my touch typing on this is awesomely better, except for the older apps with the huge keys, haha.
loving sound is amazing - haven't plugged into a speaker since day one. Even headphone sounds better, but that may just be a mental thing.
Everyone that sees it wants one, but they all balk at the price. Too bad.

Ps: still need to unload my air2, 64gb,wifi/cell. $550, pm or samart.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is the Keyboard Smart Cover for the pro still the same way to add a KB? Any third-party items really crushing it?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Aphrodite posted:

You can fold the new covers with either side facing out.

Not to use it as a stand... It will fall over if you breathe on it with the smooth side out.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

LordOfThePants posted:

I just upgraded from an iPad 2 to the second generation Air and I've noticed the display is quite a bit more yellow than my iPad 2.

It's not too bad if I m looking at it straight on, but at even at slight angles it gets more yellow. Side by side with my old iPad there's quite a difference.

Is this just how the display is on the Air2? I can probably get used to it but if I got a bad display I'll go exchange it.

It might settle down in a few days, a yellow-tinted screen means the glue in the display hasn't completely dried out yet. I was told this by a genius at the store while getting the screen on a friend's phone checked out recently.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Update on Pro Battery Gate:

Last night I was at low 50's ( I checked on it, I didn't actually use the iPad Pro.)

This morning it was at 43% at 8 am. Still didn't use it.

I just peeked (it's now 1pm) and it is at 38%.

That does seem to be draining an awful lot in standby, no?

Bluetooth is off. Almost every app I have has background app refresh set to off. Auto brightness is on, but that shouldn't matter in standby.

At this rate it's discharged well over 10% in the last 17 hours of nothing but standby.

I'm going to do a hard reset and then if need be a restore, but I wanted to gauge more of its pattern first.

[Ed] 4 more hours, down to 34%. Still haven't actually *used* my iPad in the last 2 days. Just peek on battery and leave.

So that's over 20% in less than 24 hours of standby only.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 2, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Do the automatic "time to leave" alerts in IOS9 only work on the icloud calendars? I just got an Amazon Echo and it only syncs with google calendars and so I switched all my events over to my google calendar and it stopped giving me the automatic alerts that take into account traffic and everything. As far as I can tell everything is setup the same.

edit: Earlier I tried a test and made two events 5 minutes apart in iCalendar - one using the icloud Home calendar and one using my Google calendar. The icloud one alerted me 25 minutes beforehand, like it should, and the google one was silent.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 2, 2015

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
What does it show in settings/battery that might be causing it?

Feenix posted:

Last night I was at low 50's ( I checked on it, I didn't actually use the iPad Pro.)

Bluetooth is off. Almost every app I have has background app refresh set to off. Auto brightness is on, but that shouldn't matter in standby.

At this rate it's discharged well over 10% in the last 17 hours of nothing but standby.

I'm going to do a hard reset and then if need be a restore, but I wanted to gauge more of its pattern first.

[Ed] 4 more hours, down to 34%. Still haven't actually *used* my iPad in the last 2 days. Just peek on battery and leave.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

pipebomb posted:

What does it show in settings/battery that might be causing it?

"please use your iPad for a few minutes to have this detail populate" or something or other...

Which I don't actually want to do because I'm trying to keep my hands off of it other than literally lifting the smart cover for a second to check the battery.

It's a bit odd though because I HAVE used the iPad since its last charge for quite a while, so... I would think it would have data there?

I mean, this isn't the worst problem in the world, but at this rate, it would indicate (more or less) that if I charged up my iPad Pro and let it sit for 5 days and then on Day 6 was like, "Hey I want to draw something!" I'd pick it up to find it was dead/nearly dead.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

"please use your iPad for a few minutes to have this detail populate" or something or other...

Which I don't actually want to do because I'm trying to keep my hands off of it other than literally lifting the smart cover for a second to check the battery.

It's a bit odd though because I HAVE used the iPad since its last charge for quite a while, so... I would think it would have data there?

I mean, this isn't the worst problem in the world, but at this rate, it would indicate (more or less) that if I charged up my iPad Pro and let it sit for 5 days and then on Day 6 was like, "Hey I want to draw something!" I'd pick it up to find it was dead/nearly dead.

You really do want to check the battery usage in settings as it will give you an answer. Also restore but set up as new and see if problem persists

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Poetic Justice posted:

Do the automatic "time to leave" alerts in IOS9 only work on the icloud calendars? I just got an Amazon Echo and it only syncs with google calendars and so I switched all my events over to my google calendar and it stopped giving me the automatic alerts that take into account traffic and everything. As far as I can tell everything is setup the same.

edit: Earlier I tried a test and made two events 5 minutes apart in iCalendar - one using the icloud Home calendar and one using my Google calendar. The icloud one alerted me 25 minutes beforehand, like it should, and the google one was silent.

Nevermind I got it working, I had to remove my gmail account from my phone/tablet and re-add it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

My wife's air 2 seems to last less long in standby than my mini 2, but I haven't really looked into it and don't care.

My thought is that the newer iPads maybe do more handoff stuff than the older ones somehow, so they use more battery checking in with all your other Apple things. Maybe try turning handoff off? That's just a guess and I have no idea if it's accurate.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Just FYI if you want a cell connected iPad with service, Verizon is offering $250 off all of them, including the Pro, for the holidays. I would bet ATT will have similar promos. Does require two years of service though.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

Feenix posted:

Have you tried running the battery all the way down and then recharging to full to calibrate the battery meter? When I go a while without doing this, my battery appears to drain faster, but once it gets to a low percentage it lasts a long longer than it would appear to. The battery could be fine but the numbers are just out of whack.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You really do want to check the battery usage in settings as it will give you an answer. Also restore but set up as new and see if problem persists

I looked. Right now it doesn't tell me anything there.

Smets posted:

Have you tried running the battery all the way down and then recharging to full to calibrate the battery meter? When I go a while without doing this, my battery appears to drain faster, but once it gets to a low percentage it lasts a long longer than it would appear to. The battery could be fine but the numbers are just out of whack.

Could be. That's my next thing to do.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Smets posted:

I'm going to have to try this for my mini 4. It's gone through the standard teething cycle, and no abnormalities in the battery usage panel under settings, but it burns through the battery far far faster than my air 1, which itself didn't exactly sip.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just a smallish, very informal update on Pro Batterygate:

I completely discharged my 1% every-hour-in-standby Pro.
Upon full charge I took it off the cord.

I've kept it unused all day it would occasionally lift the flap just to check battery. From 8am until 8pm it stayed at 100% and only hit 99% in the last few min.

One of two things:

The discharge and recharge fixed it?

Also it's been in my office a few feet from my router today. My bedroom is not bad signal but could lesser wifi really kill a standby battery like that?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Feenix posted:

I've kept it unused all day it would occasionally lift the flap just to check battery. From 8am until 8pm it stayed at 100% and only hit 99% in the last few min.

One of two things:

Also it's been in my office a few feet from my router today. My bedroom is not bad signal but could lesser wifi really kill a standby battery like that?

Perhaps initial setup work like spotlight indexing finally finished in the background?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

eddiewalker posted:

Perhaps initial setup work like spotlight indexing finally finished in the background?

For 3 weeks?! Nah

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
You discharged it until it shut down? Had you shut it down previously?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sounds like usergate to me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

One of two things:

It didn't really fix it more than it recalibrated the battery meter. You were getting inaccurate readings before is the most likely explanation.

Feenix posted:

Absolutely. However, unlikely in most home setups.

If you download Apple's Airport Utility, it has a WiFi scanner/stumbler built in and you don't need an AirPort to use it. Open it up, and look to the upper left. It should say "Wifi Scan". Tap that and then tap scan on the next page. It will enumerate all the wireless networks it sees. If your RSSI value in your bedroom is -75dBm or lower you may be seeing it impact your battery.

Airport utility is great to take spot readings in your entire house as a sort of poor man's site survey (you won't be able to measure the noise floor or potential interference). If you plot out the readings on a floor plan, you'll get a better idea on where to place your AP to maximized coverage in your house. Anything down to -65dBm will be fine. You'll start to see issues as you go past -70dBm. -90dBm can basically be considered out of range for effective data transmission.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flosofl posted:

It didn't really fix it more than it recalibrated the battery meter. You were getting inaccurate readings before is the most likely explanation.

Yea but it died when it got to zero in line with the number %.

I will use the scanner and see. Neat tip' thanks!

[Ed] 58 - 64

Feenix fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 3, 2015

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well, the iPad Pro doesn't charge for poo poo if plugged into the dock of a Surface Pro 3. About 2 hours in and it had gone up all of 2%.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

AlternateAccount posted:

Well, the iPad Pro doesn't charge for poo poo if plugged into the dock of a Surface Pro 3. About 2 hours in and it had gone up all of 2%.

Well, obviously. The power draw is almost certainly 500mA, just over a fifth of the power it draws from the in-box wall wart.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

TinTower posted:

Well, obviously. The power draw is almost certainly 500mA, just over a fifth of the power it draws from the in-box wall wart.

Yeah, I was just hoping the dock would be able to dump out more juice than that.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

flosofl posted:

Airport utility is great to take spot readings in your entire house as a sort of poor man's site survey (you won't be able to measure the noise floor or potential interference). If you plot out the readings on a floor plan, you'll get a better idea on where to place your AP to maximized coverage in your house. Anything down to -65dBm will be fine. You'll start to see issues as you go past -70dBm. -90dBm can basically be considered out of range for effective data transmission.

That sounds like a godsend because my wifi has suddenly become unreliable, but the app doesn't have that button. I'll do it with my MacBook then - didn't know what to do with the dBm information before. I'll just hit cmd and shift and click on the wifi symbol on the MacBook, which shows all that information. Awesome. Thanks!

Zwille fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 3, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zwille posted:

That sounds like a godsend because my wifi has suddenly become unreliable, but the app doesn't have that button. I'll do it with my MacBook then - didn't know what to do with the dBm information before. I'll just hit cmd and shift and click on the wifi symbol on the MacBook, which shows all that information.

iOS app has button. Go to settings > Airport Utility and turn it on...

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Feenix posted:

Ahhhh! Thanks, that did the trick!

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos

Feenix posted:

Wow no idea this existed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

Absolutely. However, unlikely in most home setups.

If you download Apple's Airport Utility, it has a WiFi scanner/stumbler built in and you don't need an AirPort to use it. Open it up, and look to the upper left. It should say "Wifi Scan". Tap that and then tap scan on the next page. It will enumerate all the wireless networks it sees. If your RSSI value in your bedroom is -75dBm or lower you may be seeing it impact your battery.

This is awesome. We were getting -80s in tons of places in the house and I hadn't checked since we moved it, now we get like -65 everywhere! And I could plug all the intensive stuff directly into the router. I feel so validated.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

Do you have yours off? Cause "turning off the Wi-Fi scanner may help preserve battery life" :v:

...kinda weird that notice is there though, it just seems like a toggle for the wifi scan button where I'd expect the scanning itself to be the battery sucking aspect.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

japtor posted:

Do you have yours off? Cause "turning off the Wi-Fi scanner may help preserve battery life" :v:

...kinda weird that notice is there though, it just seems like a toggle for the wifi scan button where I'd expect the scanning itself to be the battery sucking aspect.

I used it on my iPhone. Not sure if I ever turned it on (I certainly never used it) on my iPad.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Where the hell can I get an Apple Pencil!?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

Where the hell can I get an Apple Pencil!?

I managed to get mine using the Ship-to-Store option on Best Buy's website.

ninja-edit: NVM. I just checked, they're all out.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I replaced the glass/digitizer on my Air 1 6 months ago. Now it's getting phantom touches all over the very bottom of the screen area. If the culprit is the grounding cable as outlined in this fix do I have to buy new glass and break it / do a fresh repair in order to apply that fix?

Or would I be able to just do a heat gun, pull the screen up, and re-glue the thing down?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hed posted:

I replaced the glass/digitizer on my Air 1 6 months ago. Now it's getting phantom touches all over the very bottom of the screen area. If the culprit is the grounding cable as outlined in this fix do I have to buy new glass and break it / do a fresh repair in order to apply that fix?

Or would I be able to just do a heat gun, pull the screen up, and re-glue the thing down?
While it doesn't seem like it, iPad screens come off in one piece and can be replaced without breaking anything. No heat gun necessary: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+Air+LTE+Teardown/18907

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh, cheers. I didn't realize that!