Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

At the company Christmas party, the bar didn't have ginger ale, but they put bitters in sprite and it came out with a flavor actually really similar to ginger beer. Does anyone have an idea what kind of bitters it would be? I don't think the bottle looked like angostura, but they could have just taken the label off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

At the company Christmas party, the bar didn't have ginger ale, but they put bitters in sprite and it came out with a flavor actually really similar to ginger beer. Does anyone have an idea what kind of bitters it would be? I don't think the bottle looked like angostura, but they could have just taken the label off.

No idea but we have a dude who comes into the dining room every now and then and orders a sprite with angostura bitters in it and i gotta say it's not a bad drink.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
peychaud's is the other big one, so it's either angostura or that. if they didnt even have ginger ale i can't imagine that had any niche bitters

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's Sprite and Ango to get that faux-ginger ale. Also, try dashing Ango into literally any non-alcoholic beverage (besides like, tomato juice or whatever) and it makes it better. Angostura bitters are magic sauce.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I've even had nice coffee drinks with it before

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A South Hampton is also delicious.

Squeeze some lime into a glass with ice, a couple three dashes of Angostura bitters, and top with tonic.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

A South Hampton is also delicious.

Squeeze some lime into a glass with ice, a couple three dashes of Angostura bitters, and top with tonic.

Why on earth does that drink have a name

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Just skip all this pussyfooting around and do shots of angostura you ninnies

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

The Maestro posted:

recovering alcoholics, i'm guessing

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you drink cider and you aren't drinking it with ango bitters you're wasting your life IMO, lemon squash ginger ale and bitters is also my go to work drink when I'm desperate for sugar

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Wachepti posted:

Make your own single-serving eggnog with angostura then

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The Maestro posted:

Because the wrapper on every bottle of Angostura so proclaims. :colbert:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I used to work in South Hampton and never seen anyone drink one of those, or even heard of it.

That said, I'd try it.

Anyone make their own bitters? Got any good recipes? I'd gently caress around with that.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I picked up one of these for a friend (and an extra for myself) who is leaving the bar but made some good barrel ages cocktails for us in his time there. I figured you guys might be interested because this is one of the more reputable companies making barrels, and the sale prices are really good. Enough so that I think I'm going to grab 1 or 2 more 1Ls for myself.

http://oakbarrelsltd.com/galvanized-hoops/

Thanks to the miracles of surface volume, 2 Months in a 1L barrel equals about a year in an industrial barrel. They're neat, I plan on using one for aging cocktail mixes together and another to put a sherry finish on a rum (probably El Dorado), because I really enjoy both Angel's Envy and Glenmorangie Lasanta.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Wachepti posted:

This. I...have a problem. With my COGS for "other bar" ingredients, because Ango is classified as food and ordered through the kitchen. Thanks, chef, for taking the hit for my devastating ango addiction!

MC Eating Disorder posted:

If you drink cider and you aren't drinking it with ango bitters you're wasting your life IMO

We call that one "brosé".

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Oh my god How have I never thought of this

bloody ghost titty posted:

We call that one "brosé".

Bon vivant has a jersey cocktail that's just cider+bitters with simple so I just call it that, ginger syrup is a cool tweak if you're like me and you've just always got ginger sitting in a pile of sugar water for whatever reason

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 8, 2015

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

Kenning posted:

A bunch of awesome recommendations

Well, I muddled over it for a while and I think we're going to try the Limmer's and as close as I can get to the Seville punch without actual Seville oranges. Much to my dismay, they won't get to my area until March. But I like me some citrus so I'll be doing your lemon juice substitution and we'll see what the guests think.
Once again, Kenning, thanks for the recommendations and keep up the good work!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This thread makes me feel like I make a difference.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
you're a rockstar (in this thread), Kenning

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
If you have a Latin grocer anywhere near, pomelos will do the trick as well.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
Tasked with making a bourbon based gingerbread cocktail for a family Christmas party.

I've got most of it down. However I'm doing this with my brother in law, and he wants to use bailey's for a creamy element.

What other ideas for a creamy element could you wizards recommend?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Cream, butter/fat washed bourbon, egg white...Bailey's doesn't sound bad, it thickens up nicely when shaken.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If you're just looking for another liqueur, check out Amarula (South African floral, fruity cream liqueur) because holy poo poo, we did that with our cold brew, heavy saline solution, cardamom whipped cream "ice coffee" at my old resto and HOLY gently caress GOOD GODDAMN!!!!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

If you're just looking for another liqueur, check out Amarula (South African floral, fruity cream liqueur) because holy poo poo, we did that with our cold brew, heavy saline solution, cardamom whipped cream "ice coffee" at my old resto and HOLY gently caress GOOD GODDAMN!!!!

Amarula is really delicious. It's like chocolate orange baileys.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Amarula is really delicious. It's like chocolate orange baileys.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

gently caress that sounds so sick and I hope I can special order it through the bullshit state liquor store (have I posted in here enough about how I hate having to go thru the state liquor store)

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My Glühwein/Mulled Wine recipe called for sugar, lemon, and orange among other things. I went ahead and did a 1 day Oleo-Saccharum with the peels instead of just simmering them straight out like the recipe called for.

Good move or not?

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

our cold brew, heavy saline solution, cardamom whipped cream "ice coffee"

What does it mean for ice coffee to have a heavy saline solution? Salty coffee? Or the salt makes the ice water chilling it very cold?

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 15, 2015

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I need a book to give for a Secret Santa thing at work. I looked for the book mentioned in the OP "Essential Cocktail" but my local Barnes and Noble is out and I don't have time to order online.

Does anyone have suggestions for a well-rounded book on cocktails? Max budget is $25.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

For the novice: 12 Bottle Bar
For the enthusiast: Dead Rabbit Drinks Manual (this years book to have) or Death and Co. (last years book to have).

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The Hebug posted:

For the novice: 12 Bottle Bar
For the enthusiast: Dead Rabbit Drinks Manual (this years book to have) or Death and Co. (last years book to have).

Perfect, thanks!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Vodka, ginger beer, and grapefruit juice.

It's pretty good.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
The missus and I have been fighting colds so we made Hot Toddy's last night. They really hit the spot and were the perfect accompaniment to holiday music and gift wrapping!

Here's the recipe I used:
2 oz Rye Whiskey
Holliday blend tea
dollop of honey
Garnish with cinnamon stick, orange peel, cloves, star anise and cardamom

You can skip most of the garnish (we went a bit overboard) but the orange peel was really nice and brightened the drink up.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I have a work Christmas party coming up on Saturday that I have been asked to make pre-dinner cocktails for.

I'd like to make a batch of bourbon old fashioned beforehand (either Knob Creek or Makers Mark). I've looked this up and it seems doable, but I need to get the dilution right. Any suggestions on how to do this properly? I would be serving them well chilled and probably over a couple cubes of ice.

I would also like to do something lighter. In my head I'm playing with the idea of doing a thyme infused gin something or other topped with soda water. Maybe with lemon and a splash of bitters? Elderflower cordial?

I thought of doing a mulled wine, but we're having wine with dinner and it's still like 70F in the evenings.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

angor posted:

I would also like to do something lighter. In my head I'm playing with the idea of doing a thyme infused gin something or other topped with soda water. Maybe with lemon and a splash of bitters? Elderflower cordial?
I've had French 76's in this setting which have worked well. Gin, thyme infused simple, lemon juice, St. Germain in a pitcher at 2:1:1:taste; quicky chill/dilute, toss into a flute and top with champagne or sparkling wine. Similarly the same ratios sans St. Germain put into a glass with a large cube and floated with port.

/e- Looking at my post history the float was with Rum.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Mr. Wookums posted:

I've had French 76's in this setting which have worked well. Gin, thyme infused simple, lemon juice, St. Germain in a pitcher at 2:1:1:taste; quicky chill/dilute, toss into a flute and top with champagne or sparkling wine. Similarly the same ratios sans St. Germain put into a glass with a large cube and floated with port.

That sounds awesome. Unfortunately I can't buy St. Germain in this country :(. I have some elderflower cordial though, so I can make that work. Should I infuse my gin with thyme or make a thyme simple syrup? Also, if I go the syrup route, will I have to heat it to get the thyme infusion?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You don't need to heat up an infused simple, but if you're super worried about presentation it may be worthwhile to blanch the thyme separately to cook off the chlorophyll. Really the most important thing is some time though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm kind of in a cocktail rut. I almost only ever order sazeracs or old fashioneds, and need to try something new. I have access to fantastic bartenders. What should I try.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Tell your fantastic bartenders to make you something like an old fashioned or a sazerac.

My recommendation would be a fourth regiment, a boulvardier, a lion's tail, or a sazerac with cognac instead of whiskey(how it was originally made).

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Mr. Wookums posted:

Wait, so if you're doing the rum float version, do you still top with the bubbly? Given a "large cube", I'm assuming a double old fashioned?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Wachepti posted:

Tell your fantastic bartenders to make you something like an old fashioned or a sazerac.

My recommendation would be a fourth regiment, a boulvardier, a lion's tail, or a sazerac with cognac instead of whiskey(how it was originally made).
Good suggestions, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wachter posted:

Wait, so if you're doing the rum float version, do you still top with the bubbly? Given a "large cube", I'm assuming a double old fashioned?
I missremembered the JFK Harris http://www.timeout.com/newyork/eating-drinking/summery-cocktails thinking it was Gin and Thyme, confusing my holidays, a mistake that cannot really make sense for others.