Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Corbae posted:

So she's not dead, he's just forgotten her now??

Well you see it's like death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I guess as long as she stays in the Tardis, she will never get her last heartbeat

two immortals running away forever

edit: damnit, the show confirmed it already

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
i can see that being a plot point in the future

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The episode has redeemed itself

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

There's the new toy that they'll conveniently have out for christmas

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Classic Christmas episode incoming

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Jesus loving christ the next time trailer.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Two of em even

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
My review of this episode:

Why do I give a poo poo about anything that's currently happening? Why did we go to Gallifrey? Why was that Rassilon? Why any of it?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Well, that was loving stupid. But it was loving stupid in a way that I enjoyed, so I'll call it a win. Its nice that they're providing for Maisie Williams and Jenna Colemans retirements by giving them a premade big finish spin off jumping off point for 20 years from now.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was bloated and overly indulgent but I was millimetres away from weeping at the end and I think it was a good exit for Clara overall. I am reasonably satisfied.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was... strange. Not bad, but very weird, and the "Hybrid" stuff never worked for me all season and finally getting it all put into context didn't do anything to change that.

In general it was okay, but a weird way to end the season, and I'm not all that keen on Clara's entire story-arc. I don't know how well season 9 as a whole is really going to hold up, certainly not as strong as season 8 did.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

rassilon u r bad m8 get off mi planet

k bi

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My review of this episode:

Why do I give a poo poo about anything that's currently happening? Why did we go to Gallifrey? Why was that Rassilon? Why any of it?

This exactly.

Basically nothing important happened.
Welp I just got to Gallifrey, gently caress you Rassilon, I'm out.

e: Except the general regenerating as a strong independant black woman for no reason.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

It felt like I was watching some parody of a comic book. I was half expecting a little box to show up in the corner when they mentioned knocking four times that said "First mentioned in 4.15 (Planet of the Dead) and resolved in 4.18 (The End of Time)!"

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

i don't know what i think about that, I'm honestly just confused

over-indulgent is probably an accurate description: I support that we're ending as we started this series

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

The first half was baffling (~30 minutes of Gallifrey shenanigans to get Clara back), but overall it's forgiven for giving what feels like the best companion exit of the revived series.

edit: not that Clara ever got a coherent and consistent story arc, but I dig her getting to fly off and have offscreen adventures instead of exile/mindwipe/dead

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Super.Jesus posted:

e: Except the general regenerating as a strong independant black woman for no reason.

Yeah, about that: so the Doctor just murdered someone, point blank, for what appeared to be no particular reason? Since he could have just left with the gun, and it inconvenienced him/her for all of ten seconds?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
well character-wise it was important at least

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I quite liked that. But they still can't do a season finale where the universe isn't in danger for no good reason. And the Cyberman and Dalek and Angels were so completely gratuitous I had to laugh. Hybrid stuff can just do one though.

Oh well, it's only three weeks to the next episode.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Crusader posted:

The first half was baffling (~30 minutes of Gallifrey shenanigans to get Clara back), but overall it's forgiven for giving what feels like the best companion exit of the revived series.

I'm also baffled as to why Me, which is just a human empowered by a mid-range technological alien healing factor, somehow manually makes it farther than Jack Harkness along the timeline. Even a Time Lord can't pull that off.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

McDragon posted:

I quite liked that. But they still can't do a season finale where the universe isn't in danger for no good reason. And the Cyberman and Dalek and Angels were so completely gratuitous I had to laugh. Hybrid stuff can just do one though.

Oh well, it's only three weeks to the next episode.

To be fair
the universe being in danger this time is just general nature
(aside from the whole 'it wouldnt take 4.5 billion years' thing)

Super.Jesus posted:

I'm also baffled as to why Me, which is just a human empowered by a mid-range technological alien healing factor, somehow manually makes it farther than Jack Harkness along the timeline. Even a Time Lord can't pull that off.

The doctor has all the time in the world to find him
(No I refuse to believe the Face of Boe stuff)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Super.Jesus posted:

Also what happened to her boyfriend?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Four and a half billion years isn't close to being "near the end of the universe" :mad:

Also having the time spent in the dial be actual literal time outside the dial is an odd decision

i don't think that was what was meant.
didn't the karn sister say "we think" at the 4.5 billion figure? if that much real time had actually passed from the events on Trap St to now they should know, even if presumably they've not sat through them themselves.
wasn't it that whether the doctor had spent a week inside, told them the answer and been let out straight away, or he'd stayed in a loop trying to break out the dial was linked to that point on galifrey and would always have put him there?

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

DeafNote posted:

To be fair

All this change is that when Clara is tired of life (after ten thousand billion relative years of Tardis adventures with Maisie Williams), she can go back and die at her fixed point in time. The universe isn't truly in danger.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Super.Jesus posted:

Yeah, the Mire appeared to be something of a joke race, so it's strange one of their standard medpacks allows someone to last forever.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Confused is definitely the best way to describe my feelings after that. Especially since my stream started playing up right at the Doctor was talking to Me about the hybrid. What was all that? Missy was mentioned and so was Doctor being half human and then it was a Hybrid of The Doctor and someone else...Me? Clara?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

All that talk about how Clara was becoming so like The Doctor and ending it by her stealing a faulty Tardis and running away from Gallifrey.

She got to be The Doctor in the best possible way.:allears:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Absolute rubbish. Very pretty though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Super.Jesus posted:

I remember 10 saying that he might have been in Utopia

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Some good in that but some strange choices as well. The somewhat afterthought treatment of Gallifrey and Rassilon were weird. Clara's story and Me not really getting any resolution, seem a bit of a cop out. I guess we know Clara returned at some point to die, but when that happens is up in the air.

I do like that it was a bit of a reverse of the Donna thing though.

Also appreciate that they called out the half-human thing again. Which seems to be confirmed as still a thing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DeafNote posted:

To be fair

Nah, 4.5 billion years is nothing compared to the timescale for heat death, a billion years isn't even a billionth of the time. Isn't even a billion billionth (or so on, adding 13 more billions in front)

Cerv posted:

i don't think that was what was meant.
didn't the karn sister say "we think" at the 4.5 billion figure? if that much real time had actually passed from the events on Trap St to now they should know, even if presumably they've not sat through them themselves.
wasn't it that whether the doctor had spent a week inside, told them the answer and been let out straight away, or he'd stayed in a loop trying to break out the dial was linked to that point on galifrey and would always have put him there?

See that's what I thought last week but dialogue this week implied the opposite

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Also was there any reason at all that Sister of Karn was there?

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
Also, how many times have we been to (different stages of) the end of the universe now?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Crusader posted:

Yeah, the Mire appeared to be something of a joke race, so it's strange one of their standard medpacks allows someone to last forever.

and there's not a million Mire hanging out with Ashilder at the End of Time (again)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thepokey posted:

Also was there any reason at all that Sister of Karn was there?

There was no reason why any of it was there. "Look, it's thing I know the name of! Yay!" appears to be the target reaction, unless I missed some (sub)text.

Super.Jesus posted:

Also, how many times have we been to (different stages of) the end of the universe now?

Twice with Capaldi!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It was a load of old wank, but it did have some nice sets (Classic console room looked amazing!). Considering the highs of the last episode, this was just an hour of squelching fart noise, wherein it was hard to care about what was happening, or know what was going on.

They've tried to put a lot of emphasis on Masie William's character...but it just feels completly undeserved because she's barely done anything in the season. A lot of this episode is just; "whatever". Reversing Clara's death? Whatever. Banishing God-President. Whatever. Shooting the General because. Whatever.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Jerusalem posted:

Also what happened to her boyfriend?

I guess the doctor was right when he guessed that his medpack wouldnt last as long

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I'm going to love it if next season it turns out that next season that everyone was right in the beginning and The Hybrid is actually Missy who's turned herself half Dalek and become Queen of Skaro or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There was no reason why any of it was there. "Look, it's thing I know the name of! Yay!" appears to be the target reaction, unless I missed some (sub)text.

There seemed to a familial sub-text between the Doctor and Ohilia maybe(?)

The Doctor stealing the President's daughter could also be a hint towards Susan not being his real granddaughter. So that person could be interpreted as either being Susan herself, or maybe her grandmother. Think I'd prefer the latter since I've never been a fan of that theory. Though it might not be "steal" as in her heart if it was Susan's grandmother, it could be the Doctor's son/daughter was President at the time and he took Susan.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 5, 2015

• Locked thread