Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Phone posting so apologies in advance if it breaks tables or anything

I'm not an expert but a totally unsecured load of stacked boxes being lifted and then just hanging out above an open sidewalk where commuters are coming and going? What could possibly go wrong?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008
Are the guys in the reflective vests not keeping people from walking under? Cause it looks like that's supposed to be their job.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
It looks like the biggest lift EVER picking up a small building in the thumbnail.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

I'm not an expert but a totally unsecured load of stacked boxes being lifted and then just hanging out above an open sidewalk where commuters are coming and going? What could possibly go wrong?!?

There's a grand total of two people on the sidewalk in this picture and both of them are clear of the lifting. It's a still picture, so you don't know if it moved there before or after, so I'm not seeing the actual danger yet. Also it's blurry as hell so who knows what's being lifted or how it's secured, if at all.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
also you have bad breath and look weird

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Delivery McGee posted:

That happened in a grocery store I used to work at once. It was the aisle with the deodorant on it. A can of Axe broke on impact, took off like a rocket, and barely missed hitting a cashier in the head.

That would have made a local reporters month: "Local woman survives Axe to the head"

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

There's a grand total of two people on the sidewalk in this picture and both of them are clear of the lifting. It's a still picture, so you don't know if it moved there before or after, so I'm not seeing the actual danger yet. Also it's blurry as hell so who knows what's being lifted or how it's secured, if at all.

Yeah they're clear of the lifting because they'd just walked under it. I guess the guys with flags were supposed to stop people from waking under it but they definitely weren't doing their jobs if that was the case. Jokes on me though, I walked under it and now I'm dead and posting from OSHA purgatory.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Let me go back to the part where I said you don't actually know if they moved it to that point before or after they went past that spot.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Beer here:

http://i.imgur.com/b8CXN1Y.gifv

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

As with so many of these, I have to wonder: What did they think would happen? The pallet would levitate?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

As with so many of these, I have to wonder: What did they think would happen? The pallet would levitate?

I'd like to think it was inset too far for the forklift (see screen left) to reach. Im thinking they thought they could shimmy it closer to the edge and then pull the hand cart out. Obviously that stopping part to switch to the fork truck never happened.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

I'd like to think it was inset too far for the forklift (see screen left) to reach. Im thinking they thought they could shimmy it closer to the edge and then pull the hand cart out. Obviously that stopping part to switch to the fork truck never happened.

Ah, that makes sense. It never had a chance to work because of where the wheels are on the pallet jack, but it makes sense.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I love the one guy's little stomp of frustration at the end.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The palette is sideways, so i guess the wheels of the pallet truck got stuck. Maybe that is the only way to get two palettes in this truck, so they were pulling it forward to use the fork lift after that.

Edit: late post is late

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cheez posted:

Let me go back to the part where I said you don't actually know if they moved it to that point before or after they went past that spot.

I don't think you're getting that he took that photo himself, and is giving a first-person account of what was happening in the scene.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think you're getting that he took that photo himself, and is giving a first-person account of what was happening in the scene.

Then I would be wrong. I'm used to people posting pictures they didn't take and probably missed that.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Sirotan posted:

One of the reasons I really enjoy watching Air Crash Investigation and urge other people to as well is it actually made me feel safer about flying.

I'm definitely in this weird camp as well, watching ACI/Mayday and reading NTSB incident reports pretty much make you realize that the chain of failures leading to any event is pretty massive.

I'm still angry that none of the airlines let you listen to ATC anymore. That was my favorite thing as a kid.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Sirotan posted:

Ran out of fuel at 30k feet? No worries, you can glide it to a landing strip.

Ah yes, the Gimli Glider. Canada was converting to metric at the time, and someone hosed up the math and underfueled the plane. Landed safely at a dragstrip. It has a Mayday/Air Crash Investigation episode Season 5, Episode 2.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o8MDCIlOEk

So this was sold to hospitals.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

:stare:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

I had this sort of crane deliver a load of shingles onto my roof. One of the guys rode the load of shingles up to the roof so that they didn't have to get out a ladder.

American efficiency :911:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Sockington posted:

Unless it was impossible for some reason, that's why you just get the forklift forks in as far as you can, lift the pallet like half an inch and slide it towards the door. Do this several times if necessary.

XYZ posted:

Ah yes, the Gimli Glider. Canada was converting to metric at the time, and someone hosed up the math and underfueled the plane. Landed safely at a dragstrip. It has a Mayday/Air Crash Investigation episode Season 5, Episode 2.

I saw the made for TV movie when I was a teenager. The best part is that the movie starts out with what looks like the Gimli Glider incident except the pilots crash the plane and it's revealed to be taking place in a simulator. The pilots are like "That's impossible! No one could survive that!". And the instructor's like "One crew did. :smugdog:".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_from_the_Sky:_Flight_174

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 5, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think the battery is my favourite part, but it might be everything else.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

FIRST TIME posted:

Unless it was impossible for some reason, that's why you just get the forklift forks in as far as you can, lift the pallet like half an inch and slide it towards the door. Do this several times if necessary.

seriously. It's like they never had to get creative with the forks. Pallet jacks aren't light, hell of a lot more work the way they tried to do it.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

FIRST TIME posted:

I saw the made for TV movie when I was a teenager. The best part is that the movie starts out with what looks like the Gimli Glider incident except the pilots crash the plane and it's revealed to be taking place in a simulator. The pilots are like "That's impossible! No one could survive that!". And the instructor's like "One crew did. :smugdog:".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_from_the_Sky:_Flight_174

Trivia item: the instructor who says that it really happened was played by the actual Gimli Glider pilot

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

DiHK posted:

seriously. It's like they never had to get creative with the forks. Pallet jacks aren't light, hell of a lot more work the way they tried to do it.

Maybe put a little wrap on the pallet and it wouldnt fall apart like that anyway.

Takes 3 seconds to cut off.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
My favorite air (near) disaster story is still United 232. No hydraulics, flying the drat thing by purely adjusting the throttle, and they managed to get it down almost safely - 185 survivors out of 296 aboard. Hell of a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M9TQs-fQR0

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Planes are absurdly safe to the point that if a plane crashes it's almost universally pilot or crew error over actual mechanical failure. And that's why never fly by any budget Asian airlines because their pilots are not particularly well trained and the planes are not particularly well maintained. Same with Russian airlines.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

Planes are absurdly safe to the point that if a plane crashes it's almost universally pilot or crew error over actual mechanical failure. And that's why never fly by any budget Asian airlines because their pilots are not particularly well trained and the planes are not particularly well maintained. Same with Russian airlines.

What could possibly go wrong when you fly with Aeroflop

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

Never fly Spirit Airlines in the US. When I worked travel insurance, they are the only carrier with multiple "Something fell off the plane in midflight" calls I got.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Drone_Fragger posted:

:v:

I'm astonished we don't have a BestKorea smiley.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
A pic from a skilled trades member FB group.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

MrYenko posted:

:v:

Hilariously, Juche air is banned from all European airspace except for their latest planes (russian Tu-204s, lol) because they're the only planes that meet the safety standards of "not likely to crash into a town on takeoff".

If you want to fly by a good airline, fly Singapore airlines. Their planes are excellently maintained, their pilots know their poo poo and they've been rated in the top 5 airlines for like the last 20 years. Also, they'll give you all the free booze you ask for on international flights provided you don't look drunk so if you can't sleep on planes because of your jet phobia just get hammered and pass out :toot:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62-uWAsu9DI

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MrYenko posted:

Be the change you want to see.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kind of reminds me of this.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Kenlon posted:

My favorite air (near) disaster story is still United 232. No hydraulics, flying the drat thing by purely adjusting the throttle, and they managed to get it down almost safely - 185 survivors out of 296 aboard. Hell of a thing.

I was trying to figure out why this story seemed familiar and turned out I knew it from a Netflix thing recently. Denny Fitch's account of this is amazing with detail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Victor_Romeo#Accidents_and_incidents

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Drone_Fragger posted:

If you want to fly by a good airline, fly Singapore airlines. Their planes are excellently maintained, their pilots know their poo poo and they've been rated in the top 5 airlines for like the last 20 years. Also, they'll give you all the free booze you ask for on international flights provided you don't look drunk so if you can't sleep on planes because of your jet phobia just get hammered and pass out :toot:

Yeah, Sinapore Airlines are excellent. So are Thai Airways - best drat inflight food I've ever had.

I thought every airline does free booze, though, if you're not flying on a budget line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kenlon posted:

Apparently after the accident they kept recreating the conditions in a simulator and in every single simulation they couldn't even get within like 5 miles of an airport which means there was always zero survivors.

• Locked thread