Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

CharlesM posted:

Fiber is getting faster too, although I don't know if that is happening proportionally with copper. I think you can use the same fiber runs and just switch the equipment, too. Since bandwidth needs aren't going down I kind of figured that both are going to continue to be used in similar scenarios.

edit: one time in another chat thread somebody said they were installing cameras that required CAT-7. I'm kind of curious what kind of camera requires that bandwidth.

That was also me. The company was owned by some Japanese people and insisted we used these crazy German cameras to focus on their paper roller machines so they could detect defects in the rolls. My new job will be splicing single mode fiber for Comcast. Like testing 200 mile long runs on both end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

literally a fish posted:

Try both black slots as opposed to both grey slots. Usually you want to use every 2nd slot, starting with the one closest to the CPU.

And.. nope.
Single DIMM in A1, posts. Single DIMM in A2, posts. DIMM in A1+A2 posts.

B1 only, won't post. (restarts every 15 seconds)
B2 only, won't post. (restarts every 15 seconds)
A1+B1 won't post. (restarts every 15 seconds)
A2+B2 won't post. (and DRAM LED stays lit)

So looks like a serious problem with the B1/B2 slots or controller. Welp.

I'm glad I started with the single combination that kept the DRAM LED lit so that I had an easy time pegging the non-posting to the RAM at least. Time to contact Newegg.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Memory controller is on the CPU, so it could be either the board or the CPU in theory.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

So far, most of the pits I've been in have been awesome. The only real "oops" I've had is when someone shoved me when I wasn't expecting it and I landed on my rear end; someone else grabbed me and hauled me back up immediately. Guy who knocked me down even apologized.

Didn't bother me, I expect to leave a good pit with a few bruises. I've even seen bands stop playing when they see someone fall and start yelling "PICK HIM UP!" (I think that was Anti-Flag that did that).

That's why I like punk shows so much, everybody's just there to have a good time and gives at least a little bit of a poo poo about each other, including the band. I've been knocked down dozens of times because I'm not exactly a big dude, and half the time there's three sets of hands grabbing my shirt to yank me back up before I even hit the ground.

Except for that one time at a Dropkick Murphy's show when I turned around and this big rear end dude with a liberty spike mohawk had some dude on the ground by his collar and was going to town mashing his face in. :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Memory controller is on the CPU, so it could be either the board or the CPU in theory.

I might be having that issue with my 9590. I completely forgot about integrated memory controller. I gotta check that when I get home.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well poo poo. I hope it's the motherboard, since I just spent 45 minutes online with Newegg arranging to get a new motherboard before sending this one back so that I can do a rebuild. Having to do the same thing all over again with the CPU would just be perfectly in line with my normal luck though. At least the CPU would be an easier swap I guess.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

T-Square posted:

That's why I like punk shows so much, everybody's just there to have a good time and gives at least a little bit of a poo poo about each other, including the band. I've been knocked down dozens of times because I'm not exactly a big dude, and half the time there's three sets of hands grabbing my shirt to yank me back up before I even hit the ground.

Except for that one time at a Dropkick Murphy's show when I turned around and this big rear end dude with a liberty spike mohawk had some dude on the ground by his collar and was going to town mashing his face in. :v:

That's been my experience with metal shows, too. Everyone is there to have fun, you get knocked around, but it's all in good fun and not mean-spirited at all. I have never seen or personally had any hostility at all when going to black metal, death metal, stoner/sludge metal etc. shows.

But as soon as the bands are a little closer to the mainstream, the douchebags with zero concept of proper concert etiquette start showing up. Another show where tempers started flaring up was when Europe played here earlier this year. And these were middle-aged dudes getting all up in each other's faces for no discernible reason other than being in a crowded concert hall and getting bumped a bit. Maybe one of them accidentally spilled some of his beer when he got bumped into, but if that's enough to set someone off, he should probably just stay at home in his padded cell.

It sucks so bad when an awesome concert experience gets ruined by shitheels. Why can't they just have fun instead of ruining other people's evening? It's like they don't understand that even if the music is aggressive and wild, you don't have to be aggressive towards other people, you should be aggressive with them and have fun together.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My wife has always wanted a big Christmas tree. I've managed to dissuade her for years... I didn't today. Christ 12' trees are a lot more work than 7' trees.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

The Locator posted:

Well poo poo. I hope it's the motherboard, since I just spent 45 minutes online with Newegg arranging to get a new motherboard before sending this one back so that I can do a rebuild. Having to do the same thing all over again with the CPU would just be perfectly in line with my normal luck though. At least the CPU would be an easier swap I guess.

More than likely the motherboard. I used to work at a shop that built PC's, and out of thousands of PC's we built, we only ever had 2 DOA CPU's (and one fail about 6 months in). Motherboards fail much more often.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

meatpimp posted:

My wife has always wanted a big Christmas tree. I've managed to dissuade her for years... I didn't today. Christ 12' trees are a lot more work than 7' trees.

Yeah, and now she has an excuse to go buy a cart full of new ornaments to fill it out :v:

I always complained when helping my family shove increasingly larger trees through the front door. Then, one dark year some time ago, my mother went and bought a Costco 12' 3-peice artificial tree. It was like an ancient, evil totem passed down from a timeless demon - my dad and I spent two hours cursing and setting it up, and about the same taking it down. Every year, it took an additional 45 minutes to assemble and an additional 45 cubic feet to store... it just kept expanding and the limb - joints all got arthritis and began to develop an extreme thirst for human finger blood. Did I mention each section had a built-in string of interconnected lights wired by a team of 1980s Chrysler technicians?

After three years of this curse our cries became so piteous and our language so foul that my mother finally took mercy, and allowed us to "donate" it to a church. I do not complain about Douglas Firs anymore; they smell great and can be disassembled and packed with a chainsaw. I will gladly squeeze a copse worth of them into the living room any time and be thankful for the opportunity.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

But I want to get some interior parts for my 240, so I'm actually posting on Zilvia for the first time. Forums culture shock is a real thing you guys. I've bought poo poo for years off SA Mart and I got used to how things were handled here. Put up a want to buy thread and I got all these people saying, "text me" with no mention of what they got, no pics. I'm a loving goon, I don't want to be texting these people, I don't know them like that. Do none of these people know how to use imgur? I asked one guy for pictures and his reply was, "you got a number I can send them to". I realize that I'm the fish out of water in this case but still, drat.

Sent a guy $65 on Wednesday for a center console, he said he would ship with a tracking number on Thursday. Friday came still hadn't heard from him so texted him asking for shipping number. Said he would get it to me that night. Here is Saturday morning, still no tracking number. Come Monday I'm gonna harass the hell out of him and then come Wednesday I'm reversing the paypal.

Edit: poo poo even the cruiser guys on RSWarrior did a better job than this guy has so far. Bought an expensive rear end Corbin seat for my dad's bike and and handlebar. Handlebar was packed lazy as hell but it made it here alright. Seat was packed great. So far Zilvia is living up to all my expectations.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 5, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Yeah, and now she has an excuse to go buy a cart full of new ornaments to fill it out :v:

I always complained when helping my family shove increasingly larger trees through the front door. Then, one dark year some time ago, my mother went and bought a Costco 12' 3-peice artificial tree. It was like an ancient, evil totem passed down from a timeless demon - my dad and I spent two hours cursing and setting it up, and about the same taking it down. Every year, it took an additional 45 minutes to assemble and an additional 45 cubic feet to store... it just kept expanding and the limb - joints all got arthritis and began to develop an extreme thirst for human finger blood. Did I mention each section had a built-in string of interconnected lights wired by a team of 1980s Chrysler technicians?

After three years of this curse our cries became so piteous and our language so foul that my mother finally took mercy, and allowed us to "donate" it to a church. I do not complain about Douglas Firs anymore; they smell great and can be disassembled and packed with a chainsaw. I will gladly squeeze a copse worth of them into the living room any time and be thankful for the opportunity.

Yeah I'm starting to feel the same way except for the fact that real trees get more an more expensive each year, it's close to $100 for a nice tree these days and that buys a pretty nice fake one that will last a long time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Bingo! And lights. And garland.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

T-Square posted:

Funniest fight I ever saw in a pit was at an Agnostic Front/Madball/Terror/Hatebreed show back in...04 maybe?

A bunch of SHARPs were in the crowd (only about 200 people, small club in Shreveport,LA) and a couple hammerskins had come out as well.

One of the racist fucks called a kid a friend of the family (kid was maybe 15) and the SHARPs had an old fashioned boot party on the hammer skins in the middle of the pit.

Tossed them out the door, and the show continued like nothing happened.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Siochain posted:

More than likely the motherboard. I used to work at a shop that built PC's, and out of thousands of PC's we built, we only ever had 2 DOA CPU's (and one fail about 6 months in). Motherboards fail much more often.

Intel literally wrote (a) book on quality control.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

That was also me. The company was owned by some Japanese people and insisted we used these crazy German cameras to focus on their paper roller machines so they could detect defects in the rolls. My new job will be splicing single mode fiber for Comcast. Like testing 200 mile long runs on both end.

Do you have to drive from one end to the other?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Helped a friend pull a cylinder head today and I swear my mood has improved a bunch as a result of the manual labor. If junkyard therapy isn't a thing it should be.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

zundfolge posted:

Helped a friend pull a cylinder head today and I swear my mood has improved a bunch as a result of the manual labor. If junkyard therapy isn't a thing it should be.
People don't appreciate enough the value of physical work. To go home stinking of sweat and grease, knowing you have actually achieved something.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Intel literally wrote (a) book on quality control.

Do you have to drive from one end to the other?

Not sure yet. That'd make for one hell of a day tho.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Siochain posted:

I did PC repair and the defect rate on CPUs even from AMD has been incredibly low for a long time. 99.9% of the time it's the motherboard. Even with meatbags handling them in ways the shouldn't I'd say maybe 1/1000 goes bad. It's worth noting that Skylake has a thinner substrate than previous intel CPUs and some are getting damaged: http://hothardware.com/news/intel-skylake-cpus-are-warping-under-heat-sink-mounting-pressure

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

People don't appreciate enough the value of physical work. To go home stinking of sweat and grease, knowing you have actually achieved something.

All of my friends whom I used to do car work with over the years have all given up the wrench and hammer for other hobbies. I feel like I'll never be able to stop spending time banging on things in the garage. I always feel better after spending a day lying in concrete under a car. It's absolutely therapy for me.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

The trick, though, is to actually achieve something :v:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I finally upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to 10 and now it just crashes when I type in my password and reboots. Sigh...

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

today is a good day. I got to buy new tools and use them to get the trans oil pan all the way off, found out the magnet has a very light dusting of metal flake, but enough to be excused by it being a recently rebuilt tranny and this being the first time I've changed the fluid since.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I finally upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to 10 and now it just crashes when I type in my password and reboots. Sigh...

Did you turn it off and on

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

InitialDave posted:

My day job is 90% desk time and 10% driving and days like today make me wonder if I'm pursuing the wrong career. It might be a matter of greener grass, but I never feel as good as I did today when I finish something at work.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Nodoze posted:

Did you turn it off and on

Yes.

IDK if it is just because I am sick and grumpy but my roommates have been acting like total assholes to me the past few days and its starting to piss me off.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

some texas redneck posted:

Adiabatic posted:

oikownwrifht. fick if thsid fgoetting poo poo shfoir me ijantomoyre anfterkm toneits

The sad part is I can actually figure out most of what he's saying.

I'm pretty sure this one reads "Oh I know right. gently caress if this [bitch] getting poo poo [from] me anymore after tonight"

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

zundfolge posted:

My day job is 90% desk time and 10% driving and days like today make me wonder if I'm pursuing the wrong career. It might be a matter of greener grass, but I never feel as good as I did today when I finish something at work.

Same, except 90% desk 10% on craft inspections.

Garage work gives me so much for fulfillment that it's not even funny.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I know some of you guys use Trello because I found out about it here, but in a similar vein does anyone know of any good Gantt chart software or apps? Excel seems to make it more tedious than necessary!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Why the hell do GMs turn their reverse lights when in park? I do not like driving through parking lots and expecting cars to back up and then have them just sit there (ok, this is better than a car reversing without any warning, but still).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Did my first spit roast on my BBQ rotisserie last night, had a few friends over at my place. Was successful with cooking 4kg of pork. So happy :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Deeters posted:

Why the hell do GMs turn their reverse lights when in park? I do not like driving through parking lots and expecting cars to back up and then have them just sit there (ok, this is better than a car reversing without any warning, but still).

It's the perimeter lighting feature which should probably be better called "You Will Get Yelled At In Parking Lots."

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Deeters posted:

I just saw this the other day and its infuriating! GM decisions, sheesh.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Finally got the glow plugs replaced on the tractor! Still no start until I re-wired the negative battery cable that was loose. Also gave it a long overdue oil change and disconnected the mower from the pto and hooked up the back blade. Oh and new fuel filter that had a ton of crap in it. Just waiting for the new seat to arrive so I don't get a wet rear end every time I plow and I'm ready for winter. It's nice being able to reach everything while standing next to the vehicle you are working on.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Deeters posted:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's the perimeter lighting feature which should probably be better called "You Will Get Yelled At In Parking Lots."

:whoptc: GM? who the poo poo thought that was a good idea? how is it even legal?!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

At first I thought you were cooking a pig on the grill

Reminds me of

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

At first I thought you were cooking a pig on the grill

We have chicken wire in the mouth, and this thing somehow wedged itself between the front of the radiator and the chicken wire.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

What the hell did you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Nodoze posted:

What the hell did you do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJW3Jpqjx5s