Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

See that's what I thought last week but dialogue this week implied the opposite
with two contradictory explanations presented, i'll chose to ignore the nonsensical & overly melodramatic version that actually probably is what Moffat loving meant isn't it.

when Ashilder brought back the TV movie and started asking if the Doctor was half human I did think we were going to find out that either one of the immortal human women were destined to become his mother. the two of them ending the episode by going back to Gallifrey, but not straight back to Clara's death, does leave that opportunity open for another episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cerv posted:

and there's not a million Mire hanging out with Ashilder at the End of Time (again)

Presumably it reacts very differently with human DNA (how often would a human get exposed to that type of thing, after all), or the Doctor did something sonic-y with it beforehand. Doesn't explain what happened to her boyfriend who had the same tech in him, and in general the whole Hybrid nonsense ended up falling flat.

Teek posted:

Also appreciate that they called out the half-human thing again. Which seems to be confirmed as still a thing.

Nah that was just a tease/callback (as MrL_JaKiri noted, this episode seemed to be all about "let's put in reference to <thing>!"), it's almost immediately revealed after the tease that the "hybrid" refers to the Doctor as a Time Lord and Clara as a human being so wrapped up in each other that they are willing to gently caress up all of time and space to look out for each other (consider how much the Doctor was willing to do to save her, including shooting another Time Lord and using up one of their regenerations just to prove a point). There was also a suggestion that the Master somehow picked Clara would form this kind of bond with the Doctor, which feels like it is trying to retroactively fit the season 9 arc into stuff going back to season 7.

All season I felt like Clara being too Doctor-like was building to an ending where she'd realize that it wasn't emotionally healthy for her to be in this relationship, and it was time to move on, properly grieve for Danny and start a new life. In the end she did grasp that she and the Doctor needed to part ways, but managed to still continue to live the life of wild sci-fi adventure she craved - so she never really faced up to the grief of losing Danny, so it does make it feel to me like her character never got the healthy emotional closure she needed.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Also the stuff with Rassilon and The High Council being exiled is totally going to be a thing in another series or two. Moffat doesn't drop stuff like that in and then just leave it alone.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
According to many Facebook posts this was an amazing episode because it brought the sonic screwdriver back. So, hey, I guess that's something?

The whole thing just seemed like a pretty unfocused mess. The reintroduction of Galifrey just felt like a real let down. It should have been absolutely its own thing, the whole revival series in its own way has been building to that you could argue and it became just a thing. If they wanted Karn in there so bad then why not go to them instead and work that in and save Galifrey for its own separate story?

And the whole Me thing just didn't really go anywhere and the interactions with her all seemed to follow the same pattern with no real pay off..

Me: I'm going to say something which can be construed as me being evil
Doctor: You are evil and i hate you and will make your life hell
Me: But I am actually not evil and although I may appear hardened I'm actually ok and good
Doctor: ok

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cerv posted:

with two contradictory explanations presented, i'll chose to ignore the nonsensical & overly melodramatic version that actually probably is what Moffat loving meant isn't it.

when Ashilder brought back the TV movie and started asking if the Doctor was half human I did think we were going to find out that either one of the immortal human women were destined to become his mother. the two of them ending the episode by going back to Gallifrey, but not straight back to Clara's death, does leave that opportunity open for another episode.

That's why he's an orphan. Clara had an affair with a male Timelord, dropped the Doctor off on Gallifrey in that hut and then went to her death.

Also, Dalton was a way better Rassilon than this dude. Presumably they couldn't get him back?

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
I still can't wrap my head around the entire Gallifrey plot.

The Doctor shows up after a few billion years in a personal hell. He promptly leads a military coup and exiles/maroons the High Council of Time Lords, last seen trying to end time itself to ascend to a higher plane of existence, including Rassilon, godlike creator of time lord society and technology.
He then becomes Lord President (again), but this was basically just a scheme to get the authority needed to time extract Clara and gently caress off again in a new tardis.

Rassilon should have been a worthy adversary for the doctor, not a chump.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, I don't remember Missy causing Clara and the Doctor to meet. Is that what happened?

Good things:
- Old Tardis interior (where did the BBC dig that up from?)
- Sonic screwdriver is back!
- The trailer for the christmas episode

Bad things:
- Gallifrey is still underwhelming and nonsensical
- Way too much sappy Clara stuff. We did that two episode ago. Just leave her dead and be done with it.
- Oh god no please don't make a Clara&Ashildr spin-off that's gonna be terrible.
- The rest of the rather confusing plot.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My least favorite new Who season had my favorite Capaldi ep and favorite companion exit

So I guess it was still memorable, but boy was there nothing else to write home about this year

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Jerusalem posted:

All season I felt like Clara being too Doctor-like was building to an ending where she'd realize that it wasn't emotionally healthy for her to be in this relationship, and it was time to move on, properly grieve for Danny and start a new life. In the end she did grasp that she and the Doctor needed to part ways, but managed to still continue to live the life of wild sci-fi adventure she craved - so she never really faced up to the grief of losing Danny, so it does make it feel to me like her character never got the healthy emotional closure she needed.

I never got the feeling at any point this season that Danny was ever going to get mentioned again. Clara seemed to just completely forget about him.

Also, what was that with Missy being mentioned? As I say my stream was choppy at that point and I didn't quite get why she was being brought up?
And the whole thing with Missy giving Clara the Doctor's number and essentially pairing the two of them together. Do we know why she even bothered to do that? Are we to believe that Missy knew what sort of bond they would form and that they together were the hybrid and would destroy the universe/Galifrey and the entire thing is just a Missy plan to ruin everyone's poo poo? Seems stretching ridiculously even for Doctor Who

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, Dalton was a way better Rassilon than this dude. Presumably they couldn't get him back?

Donald Sumpter is a pretty good actor...but they just didn't do anything with him. Rassilon in this episode was just the equivalent of "Old Man Yells at Cloud".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the episode. It wasn't as good as last week's story but that was a very difficult one to follow. I did not feel bored watching it. There's only really been a couple of episodes I didn't really enjoy this season, so I think it has been pretty good on the whole.

My dad didn't like it because he doesn't understand it when it goes back and forward and around about and so forth in time. He says he likes it better when it's just things getting zapped.

I suppose Clara and Ashildr have gone wherever Jenny ended up now. It was Moffat's idea to keep Jenny alive, or so I've heard. I also remember that one interview he did before it came out (for Radio Times?) where he said he was going back and changing part of the mythology in the finale. I didn't really notice what it was. What did he change?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There was no reason why any of it was there. "Look, it's thing I know the name of! Yay!" appears to be the target reaction, unless I missed some (sub)text.

She's his mum

PriorMarcus posted:

Dalton would way overshadow the rest of the episode (and series).

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wait, I don't remember Missy causing Clara and the Doctor to meet. Is that what happened?

Clara met the Doctor by phoning the Tardis thinking it was a tech support line for her broadband. She was given the number by "the woman in the shop" and it was a bit of a mystery who that was until the show just forgot about it for a few years. until today.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

thepokey posted:

I never got the feeling at any point this season that Danny was ever going to get mentioned again. Clara seemed to just completely forget about him.

he was mentioned two weeks ago. clara telling herself to face death bravely like Danny Pink did. and it is a bit weird that she refers to her dead bf by his full name like that.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Donald Sumpter is a pretty good actor...but they just didn't do anything with him. Rassilon in this episode was just the equivalent of "Old Man Yells at Cloud".

Presumable putting the entire high council of time lords on a rocketship to dispose of them forever isn't such a sound idea. I hope they show up next season or simply come right back to Gallifrey once the Doctor leaves.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cerv posted:

Clara met the Doctor by phoning the Tardis thinking it was a tech support line for her broadband. She was given the number by "the woman in the shop" and it was a bit of a mystery who that was until the show just forgot about it for a few years. until today.

It was mentioned in last season's finale by Missy, I think

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked the episode. It wasn't as good as last week's story but that was a very difficult one to follow. I did not feel bored watching it. There's only really been a couple of episodes I didn't really enjoy this season, so I think it has been pretty good on the whole.

My dad didn't like it because he doesn't understand it when it goes back and forward and around about and so forth in time. He says he likes it better when it's just things getting zapped.

I suppose Clara and Ashildr have gone wherever Jenny ended up now. It was Moffat's idea to keep Jenny alive, or so I've heard. I also remember that one interview he did before it came out (for Radio Times?) where he said he was going back and changing part of the mythology in the finale. I didn't really notice what it was. What did he change?

He made it so the reason the Doctor left Gallifrey wasn't because he was bored and felt held down by the rot of their lovely society but because he was afraid of a silly prophecy he heard while in a silly prophecy tunnel. This is especially dumb as a change when he has the best actor ever for playing the rebellious, punk rock version of the Doctor who would run away because he was bored.

It's a massive retcon, and at this point means that Moffat has written the entire Doctor's past as fact, whereas before he was in charge we only had brief hints.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough. I guess it didn't really jump out at me. I don't tend to be terribly bothered about that sort of thing.*

I mean, the Master's evil because Rassilon put evil drums in his head, yeah?

* Should I be?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I liked that episode. Series 9 is easily the best so far imo.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Bring on the Toxx

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

cargohills posted:

I liked that episode. Series 9 is easily the best so far imo.

I like series 8 more so long as you count Last Christmas as the finale. Plus the actual finale felt more cohesive, this one was way too messy. The whole thing with Rassilon was like 20 minutes of blubber that would almost certainly have been cut if Moffat had had time for a second draft.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I wasn't keen on this season as a whole and thought about stopping outright but last episode was really good and this one was all right.

I think it would have been better if we hadn't had some key ideas used before in (weak(er)) stories like the mindwipe thing or "the final final end of time" or "all of time and space collapsing because of love". Similarly I would have liked Clara's goodbye more if we hadn't already had one two episodes before and it hadn't been interminably melodramatic. Also "hybrid" is an inherently ugly, clumsy word. Whatever you do with it, it'll always sound bad to the ear. Well, that's my opinions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The one thing I'm still unsure about is whether the season was linear or not. I still think there was something going on with the Doctor jumping back and fitting in new adventures with Clara around the ones he'd already had with her, as a way of still getting to hang out with her after her death (and later memory-wiped departure) but the finale didn't bear that out at all.

They made such a big deal out of that predestination paradox episode that I was convinced he was going to end up sending the Confession Dial to the Master so that she could track down Clara for him (since he could only remember the fact he knew her, but not recognize/remember her if he saw her) which in turn would mean he got the Confession Dial on Skaro which would eventually lead into him being teleported into the Confession Dial on Trap Street.

Instead it all seems to have been very much straightforward and linear, which oddly enough to me makes the season feel less straightforward, if that makes any sense :shrug:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Wheat Loaf posted:

where he said he was going back and changing part of the mythology in the finale. I didn't really notice what it was. What did he change?

PriorMarcus posted:

He made it so the reason the Doctor left Gallifrey wasn't because he was bored and felt held down by the rot of their lovely society

He made it so Susan was the President's daughter, not the Doctor's grand daughter

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
There were some awesome little moments in that episode. But yeah....10 years the revival has been going and since day 1 it's all been building to the Doctor being back on Gallifrey. 10 years. And in the end It felt like just another planet.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Thats probably because the doctor cared more about Clara at this point
dont get the western hat outfits for Gallifreyans either

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Master posted:

There were some awesome little moments in that episode. But yeah....10 years the revival has been going and since day 1 it's all been building to the Doctor being back on Gallifrey. 10 years. And in the end It felt like just another planet.

I felt more like it was building for five years to the Time Lords coming back in "The End of Time".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

After five years, revival show runners have to have a nonsensical episode where Gallifrey comes back and it turns out that Rassilon is a jerk. It's a contractual obligation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

After five years, revival show runners have to have a nonsensical episode where Gallifrey comes back and it turns out that Rassilon is a jerk. It's a contractual obligation.

And he must have a Nintendo Power Glove (possibly "of Rassilon" - we can only assume).

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
how is rassilon back anyway, we all know that he was stuck in the divergent universe for the rest of time :v:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

IceAgeComing posted:

how is rassilon back anyway, we all know that he was stuck in the divergent universe for the rest of time :v:

He waved his magic glove and freed himself, or something.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Well that was...

Well, that was.

I'm not sure what it was, when it was on it was properly on, but a lot of it felt flat, dull, or just outright confused. Capaldi feels like he's really getting into his stride with the character which is nice.

Overall, though, a HUGE letdown after last week.

Also, was the guitar something from Capaldi's contract? It's seemed really extraneous every time it's come up.

Christmas ep looks like it should be fun though.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That was awesome. Series 9 has loving owned.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Goodbye smug girl, and good riddance.

I feel like most of the overarching arcs with Clara all involve how magic she is, and man I'm happy for that to be done. It could be personal preference, but I enjoy these stories more when the main characters are observational actors in the situation vs. vital components of the prophecy that will doom us all.

It's also still just a bit off putting how far the doctor goes to keep this one human alive. In context, sure, she's great, and I'm happy the Doctor cares so much for his friend. But this obsession becomes eyebrow raising when he let's so. many. of his other friends just kick the bucket time and time again.

If they did this kind of poo poo with River, that'd be neat. Doctor's going after the woman he loves. Forsaking your (at least I thought it was) goal to get back home to save the life of a friend? Seemed a bit forced.

I will say tho, that was a solid ending for the character.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't get the negative reactions in this thread, I loved it. Clara's exit in Face the Raven was great, but this was even better, especially in how it not-so-subtly burned RTD's handling of Donna. It is pretty sad that the Doctor won't remember Clara, but it's all for the best, I suppose. He need someone to tamp down his worst instincts.
I think it also pays off Missy getting Clara and the Doctor to meet very well. Like, she entirely chose Clara to potentially bring out the worst in the Doctor and drive him into Crazytown. AND IT ALMOST WORKED.

also kinda like that Clara's now a sorta immortal (well, she'll have to go back to Gallifrey and die EVENTUALLY) in a TARDIS that looks like a 50's American diner. c'mon guys that is COOL, that is VERY COOL.

and Rachel Talalay remains one of the show's very best directors. :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The handling of Donna was great, I don't see why it had to be burned?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just occurred to me - I might have misheard what Capaldi was saying but did they imply that Pop Tate's Choklit TARDIS was the same one the Doctor visited with Amy, Rory and River in "The Impossible Astronaut"?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Spatula City posted:

and Rachel Talalay remains one of the show's very best directors. :colbert:

Never would've expected that from the person who made Tank Girl, Ghost in the Machine, and Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The handling of Donna was great, I don't see why it had to be burned?
Cause started in a bad place and became a better person all around through her travels. Doctor gives them a bunch of money at the end I seem to recall, but the fact that she lost all that development was tragic.

It was just kinda cruel for no good reason, which is fine, but not really something Who does too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Watching the jackasses melt down about The General's regeneration is hilarious...although I would have been happier if the newly regenerated character hadn't had to make a snarky comment about it.

• Locked thread