Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Boco_T posted:

Apparently at some point recently Wizards instituted some auto-filter for swears in the MTGO chat but it also carries over to the game log. And the list of words they censor is weird. So now "The Rack" is "The ****" and Chief of the Edge of all things is "***** of the Edge."

MTGO is a hilariously terrible program. You also cannot make new columns in the deckbuilder, even in draft, unless you drag a card to the sideboard then back to the maindeck in an empty column.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
"Rack" at least has some sort of explanation as slang for breasts, even if you'd have to be a hilarious parody of a puritan to think about adding it to a word filter on that basis. I literally cannot think of what the explanation for "chief" could be.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

You never chief those blunts, brah?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JerryLee posted:

"Rack" at least has some sort of explanation as slang for breasts, even if you'd have to be a hilarious parody of a puritan to think about adding it to a word filter on that basis. I literally cannot think of what the explanation for "chief" could be.

Chief is a condescending nickname for Native Americans. The censor must have a very long list. It also restricts Cockatrice because it's a program used to play Magic without giving Wizards money, but that also happens to be the name of a Magic card!

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Chamale posted:

Chief is a condescending nickname for Native Americans. The censor must have a very long list. It also restricts Cockatrice because it's a program used to play Magic without giving Wizards money, but that also happens to be the name of a Magic card!

Are you sure it's not just restricting "cock"?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

JerryLee posted:

I assumed its to keep people from sarcastically busting peoples balls ("nice play there, chief") which would be funny because 1) they'd have to block buddy, pal, friend, etc and 2) if I saw someone saying "nice play there, *****" I certainly wouldnt think he was calling me chief.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

CoK was my favorite set and I couldn't share this sentiment on mtgo.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Snacksmaniac posted:

CoK was my favorite set and I couldn't share this sentiment on mtgo.

KKK draft was the best.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

KKK draft was the best.

It was pretty annoying how dominant white was, though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

KKK draft was the best.

GyroNinja posted:

It was pretty annoying how dominant white was, though.

You guys are loving bored today, aren't you?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

You guys are loving bored today, aren't you?

Nah, I got better things to do. Besides, bored is a pretty terrible lay.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Made top 4 of a limited GPT today, UW awaken with Noran Dar and BW life gain allies with a red splash for Zada in draft. I got to live the dream of casting Tandem Tactics targetting only Zada with Bloodbond Vampire out. A Plated Crusher was blocking her at the time.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
so lsv rage dropped out of scg denver because he lost his first game. lmao what a baby

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

so lsv rage dropped out of scg denver because he lost his first game. lmao what a baby

Not even the first match, just the first game? Also did he really rage about it? Based on his public persona, he doesn't seem like a bigtime rager.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I am pretty sure I saw him on camera in round 4. Are you sure he dropped?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure I saw him on camera in round 4. Are you sure he dropped?

He definitely did not drop, as of round 5 he's 3-2.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
They just said on stream before I went out that "He went from saying he was going to win the tournament to dropping out after a first round loss when he was slotted for top 8"

Unless they were referencing something else

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They're hamming it up, obviously

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I don't think lsv rage does anything.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dr. Stab posted:

I don't think lsv rage does anything.

I can see the silent rage on his face in bonfire.gif

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Angry Grimace posted:

I can see the silent rage on his face in bonfire.gif

Yeah that definitely burned him up on the inside.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

whydirt posted:

Yeah that definitely burned him up on the inside.

In public he effected a neutral face, but I'm sure he felt very heated about it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It's a miracle he didn't punch someone, to be honest.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

whydirt posted:

It's LSV, I'm sure at worst he'd have delivered a bon mot.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

jassi007 posted:

DCI ban list update. G.Fab suspended 6 months. Still wonder if the story about him showing a judge how he knew his opponent cheating by cutting into a foil in his own deck was true. If so, duh?

Oh right, I actually forgot to finish the story on this one! (I was the one who posted about it first I think)

The day after the DQ, Gerard came up to my friend and asked him very probing questions about what he (friend) told the judges during the call. In particular, he was insistent that my friend should have mentioned that my friend was losing at the time of the judge call, amongst other things.

Basically it sounded like he was trying to browbeat my friend into changing his testimony. My friend promptly went to the judges and reported this conversation, then wrote down details about this conversation.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

whydirt posted:

To be fair, LSV tends to be reserved when he's seeing red.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

LSV really isn't the kind of guy to get fired up about stuff, but if any thing could turn the situation heated, that'd be it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

A big flaming stink posted:

Oh right, I actually forgot to finish the story on this one! (I was the one who posted about it first I think)

The day after the DQ, Gerard came up to my friend and asked him very probing questions about what he (friend) told the judges during the call. In particular, he was insistent that my friend should have mentioned that my friend was losing at the time of the judge call, amongst other things.

Basically it sounded like he was trying to browbeat my friend into changing his testimony. My friend promptly went to the judges and reported this conversation, then wrote down details about this conversation.

Prince Charming. My friend Mike messaged me about the fun times he's played Gerard. The first time was at SCG states 2014? The 2nd at GP Charlotte this year. Both were modern, Mike was on GR Tron both times.

quote:

so the first time he didnt keep his life correct the entire time. and there were people around watching us keeping his life in check because i was nervous
also he tried to draw a card and take a turn when i told him i was playing my land which was groves
he then slow played me the entire game one, then tried to speed me because he lost game one, he lost 2-0

then in charlotte he never put down when he shocked himself twice whith lands, he then tried to misplay jace aot, by sticking cards in the gravyard, instead of under his deck, and to top it all off, he missplayed and wrote articles saying his play was spot on

My friend is quite good, he consistently makes day 2 at GP's, he placed 5th at 2015 spring States and 8th at fall states. He placed 13th at Charlotte missing his t8 win and in.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Pro and semi-pro cheating/being poor sport stories are my favorite thing about this game.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I've seen a couple of Modern Junk lists that are running a 1-of Obzedat, Ghost Council. Is there some particular reason to run Ghost Dad over say, Blood Baron (which is invulnerable to virtually every removal spell played in Modern) or even Sigarda (which is just invincible in general).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

I've seen a couple of Modern Junk lists that are running a 1-of Obzedat, Ghost Council. Is there some particular reason to run Ghost Dad over say, Blood Baron (which is invulnerable to virtually every removal spell played in Modern) or even Sigarda (which is just invincible in general).

The drain breaks stalemates, and it can usually attack into Goyf and Tasigur. And dodging Lili removal is useful. Basically, you can cast it, remove it, and wait until you have untapped lands to provide back-up before it comes back into the fray.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Snacksmaniac posted:

Pro and semi-pro cheating/being poor sport stories are my favorite thing about this game.

It really is. Wizards tries hard to make every pro into some sort of hero; so when they come crashing down it's amazing to watch.

Like some a genuinely good guys like Paul, Reed and LSV. Some are in reform like Owen. And then you hear some who are nice are actually complete cunts.

It's like there was a time where Travis Woo was considered good AND not a total gently caress head. And it really wasn't that long ago; like maybe a few years?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

The drain breaks stalemates, and it can usually attack into Goyf and Tasigur. And dodging Lili removal is useful. Basically, you can cast it, remove it, and wait until you have untapped lands to provide back-up before it comes back into the fray.

Those aren't irrelevant points for that but it seems like Obzedat can't block and drain at the same time and seems pretty hard to cast.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gridlocked posted:

It's like there was a time where Travis Woo was considered good AND not a total gently caress head. And it really wasn't that long ago; like maybe a few years?

Backward stair walking is a hell of a drug.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Friendly reminder that Craig Wescoe doesn't wash his hands after he poops at events

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Friendly reminder that Craig Wescoe doesn't wash his hands after he poops at events

Picture of Craig Wescoe:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

Seems like Sigarda does all of this, except instead of the drain breaking stalemates it's flying over the gummed up ground and not dying to a terminate

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Neither Reid Duke nor LSV even said
"hi" to me at eternal weekend and Randy Buehler didn't pick me for a feature match (I'm assuming he was in charge of that.) Buncha jerks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sigma-X posted:

:stonk:

You kid, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

:stonk:

You kid, right?

He might have changed, I've certainly posted this enough to the point where he's probably been made fun of for it in real life (I know some goon here was friends with Drew Levin? and had passed on the story after the Wescoe Check), but at my first SCG event way, way back, back when ggslive was doing coverage long before anyone else knew what coverage was, Karnegal from these very forums goes into the bathroom, I wait outside for him, and a dude walks out, and then Karnegal walks out.

"Was that guy Craig Wescoe?"
"I have no idea who that is, Karnegal" (I had just gotten back into magic a few months ago and this was my first time playing constructed, whereas Karnegal was a hardcore magic scenester nerd.
"Well he took a horrific poo poo, like he was really doing work in there, and then he didn't wash his hands. that's fuckin' gross"
"ewww"

And then when we went into the event he pointed him out again, and that was the first time I saw Craig Wescoe. He was at a lot of the events we'd go to on account of us all living in the midwest where everyone drives 3-5 hours a weekend to go play magic.

He may have learned basic hygiene in like the 7 years since but I generally don't trust magic players to improve their hygiene.

sidenote: I think Rashad Miller is loving awesome and really deserves more recognition for creating the notion of streaming magic than he gets. I have my Riashadan Ports modified and signed by him :v:

• Locked thread