Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

AMReese posted:

If anyone wants a good playthrough of Resonance of Fate with great quality but without commentary, I've got one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWMp606vP0

I'm kinda glad, but at the same time would love it if someone could explain the combat in a way to maximize everything. It's a great game but sooo confusing to get into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I would like to give the Persona series another try. Which LPer and game would you recommend? Skipping grinding and showing off Personas and monsters would be particularly appreciated.

I don't think that anything can beat the Giant Bomb Endurance Run (their version of an LP) of Persona 4 with hero protagonist man Charlie Tunoku http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/endurance-run/?page=12.

Currently on SA though I can't recommend LISA LISA LISA LISA LISA LISA http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746021 enough. I hesitate to say what really drew me in because it's technically a spoiler for the thread, but get at least to 2 minutes in to episode 2 and you should be hooked.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I would like to give the Persona series another try. Which LPer and game would you recommend? Skipping grinding and showing off Personas and monsters would be particularly appreciated.

if you're into narrative screenshot LPs then My Life Is A Goddamn Mess for persona 3 is pretty good. very informative. it's in the archive.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

Zain posted:

I'm kinda glad, but at the same time would love it if someone could explain the combat in a way to maximize everything. It's a great game but sooo confusing to get into.

I stopped playing because I kept losing to the first boss. I've only really watched that LP with it. I've glanced through this video and it seems they explain what's going on in the combat. It's a two-person LP, too. I watched a boss battle they did and they were thinking it out out-loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzGPMvAt0bY

AMReese fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 1, 2015

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good God of War series lets' play? Limp_cheese has some but it is still before HD and Let's plays on Youtube became common.

I prefer thorough or informative LPs mostly.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Kalenden posted:

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good God of War series lets' play? Limp_cheese has some but it is still before HD and Let's plays on Youtube became common.

I prefer thorough or informative LPs mostly.

KalonZombie made one that's all three a while back. It's only the first game, though; he's said he plans on doing the rest eventually, but I don't think that will be anytime soon.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Are there any decent completionist VLPs of FFIX or Lightning Returns out there? I've been looking around and either the player reads all the dialogue in a funny voice (in the case of the former) or says nothing (in the case of the latter).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Are there any decent completionist VLPs of FFIX or Lightning Returns out there? I've been looking around and either the player reads all the dialogue in a funny voice (in the case of the former) or says nothing (in the case of the latter).

Kung-Fu Jesus started one for LR, but quickly abandoned it. Your best bet for a good Lightning Returns VLP would be to wait a month or so until Artix and Fedule start up theirs. They've already been through XIII and XIII-2, and it's just a matter of time before they get to LR.

And are you sure you mean Final Fantasy 9? Because that's not really a game that lends itself to a VLP very well, but that being said FrancisFarterburgr and fieldmouse are doing every Final Fantasy game as a series of VLPs, so they'll probably get to IX... I dunno, eventually. They've been at it since late February and are up to IV now with regular updates.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

nine-gear crow posted:

Kung-Fu Jesus started one for LR, but quickly abandoned it. Your best bet for a good Lightning Returns VLP would be to wait a month or so until Artix and Fedule start up theirs. They've already been through XIII and XIII-2, and it's just a matter of time before they get to LR.

Worth noting that they're waiting on the PC port which as far as I know keeps getting delayed.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Like nine-gear-crow said, a VLP of FFIX would be hard to find, but The White Dragon did a comprehensive screenshot LP of it back in 2010-2011.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

AlphaKretin posted:

Worth noting that they're waiting on the PC port which as far as I know keeps getting delayed.

It's due out within like 2 weeks but they've got enough on their plates that they probably can't do a thread for at least another few months.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I guess just to clear the air on LR, we are doing it, but it'll probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of June 2016. Aside from the necessity of finishing VLR and putting the PC port through its paces, Fedule has some personal stuff that means he won't be able to commit to a full LP until then. Theoretically I could start one next week, but it certainly wouldn't be what you were looking for, for a variety of reasons.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Any good Let's Plays of any version of Don't Starve? Preferably without a voice that will make me want to put on a heavy coat and walk into the ocean?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Cknoor did an in-character LP thing of don't starve. It was some time since I saw it but it was pretty good.

He's also got Reign of Giants multiplayer videos with Skuzal, IB and occasional others. He's fairly incompetent in them but they're also pretty entertaining!

I'd recommend them.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Kung Fu Jesus did stream himself starting and beating Final Fantasy IX. I don't know how good it is and if there are any missing spots in the video, but he did upload most - if not all - of it to YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOPHtpj66mHs9plE99QM-OpoeAqMqgaU6

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Kind of a long shot, but does anyone know of a good (as in: no shouting at the camera, doing silly voices or reading every scrap of text, basic editing of boring parts, etc...) LP of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Fat Samurai posted:

Kind of a long shot, but does anyone know of a good (as in: no shouting at the camera, doing silly voices or reading every scrap of text, basic editing of boring parts, etc...) LP of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter?
A VLP? Probably not. I've always had an interest in the game but I don't know how well I could carry it, especially being a standard RPG with some gimmicky mechanics.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
After a ride on the emotional roller coaster that is Undertale, I'd like to see something lighter in nature - preferably hilarious like the Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal LP.

Thank you in advance.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jeek posted:

After a ride on the emotional roller coaster that is Undertale, I'd like to see something lighter in nature - preferably hilarious like the Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal LP.

Thank you in advance.
That's right, I haven't recommended Mercenaries 2 on this page yet.

Also Fleve's excellent Call of Juarez: Gunslinger LP just wrapped up so everyone should just go watch that because that game is an amazing bit of storytelling paired with constant balls-to-the-wall action.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

KalonZombie made one that's all three a while back. It's only the first game, though; he's said he plans on doing the rest eventually, but I don't think that will be anytime soon.

Thanks, actually seen that one already but what hoping there was something similar for the other installments in the series.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
EDIT: Nevermind this sounded a bit too much like shilling. Sorry.

What I am NOT sorry for is reccomending You Have 001 Goblins. It's been going on for a while but if you haven't read it yet, do so. And then participate.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 11, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I started reading that when it began but and enjoyed it but dropped it pretty early on.

did the thread ever stop trying to get goblins to gently caress all the time

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Kaubocks posted:

I started reading that when it began but and enjoyed it but dropped it pretty early on.

did the thread ever stop trying to get goblins to gently caress all the time

Yeah they've moved on from that.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The goblins do occasionally gently caress, so if that is a dealbreaker for you I'd avoid it.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
The Archive's daily recs pointed me towards Trenchfoot's Monument Valley LP, and while I'm usually not much for VLPs I ended up watching this one all the way through. A quiet subtitled LP of a soothing, trance-y mobile puzzle game; just put the LP on and space out. Very calming.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

Yeah they've moved on from that.

To greater things like loving a goat. :pervert:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Is there a good LP of Gunpoint anywhere? I have played the game but wanted to see someone who was good at it do some of the harder challenges/show off interesting things.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

THF13 posted:

Is there a good LP of Gunpoint anywhere? I have played the game but wanted to see someone who was good at it do some of the harder challenges/show off interesting things.
I quite enjoyed Bacter's LP that he did for some thread....that I can't remember:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27XxBIOFW-Y

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Here's a playlist of it that I just made on account of being unimaginably lazy:

Here it is.

This is the speedrunny one, where I'm not going agonizingly slow!

And, since I don't want to just post my own stuff,

why aren't all of you reading SelenicMartian's Cold Winter LP?

It's good!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 12, 2015

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, does anyone know of any Xenoblade Chronicles LPs that managed to be both good and actually finished?

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Any recommendations for video LP's of FMV games? I was having fun watching an LP of Spycraft: The Great Game but the author never finished it :/ I've seen/enjoyed Harvester as well. I'm looking for unique or interesting games with a single LP'r. I'm not a fan of groups that talk over each other pretending to be funny while mocking the game though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FalloutGod posted:

Any recommendations for video LP's of FMV games? I was having fun watching an LP of Spycraft: The Great Game but the author never finished it :/ I've seen/enjoyed Harvester as well. I'm looking for unique or interesting games with a single LP'r. I'm not a fan of groups that talk over each other pretending to be funny while mocking the game though.
There's some mocking the game and talking over each other, but I loved Slowbeef and Diabetus versus Dracula Unleashed. They're also doing Ripper now, another classic.
If you want an actually good FMV game, (using the term loosely) Contradiction is a fantastic watch.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dragonatrix posted:

So, does anyone know of any Xenoblade Chronicles LPs that managed to be both good and actually finished?

I only know of Xenoblade LPs that were one or the other. :/

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

In 'chill commentary' LP style, indie game dev and critic Cameron Kunzelman has been putting up some pleasant and relaxing Roller Coaster Tycoon videos. I haven't watched his other stuff yet, but it looks like there's a good variety there.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I believe that Dr. Strangelove is going through the shitshow that is Daikatana is grossly underappreciated

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Civil Twilight posted:

In 'chill commentary' LP style, indie game dev and critic Cameron Kunzelman has been putting up some pleasant and relaxing Roller Coaster Tycoon videos. I haven't watched his other stuff yet, but it looks like there's a good variety there.

I clicked that on a whim, and drat that dude is mellow. It's like watching Bob Ross do an LP.

"We're gonna put some colour here. Just a bit of green."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

I clicked that on a whim, and drat that dude is mellow. It's like watching Bob Ross do an LP.

"We're gonna put some colour here. Just a bit of green."

And he starts out by saying he found some facecam LPs and as the facecams didn't add anything he didn't like them much. +5.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
One of my favorite unexpectedly chill LPs ever is MapleLeaf's Big Mutha Truckers. http://lparchive.org/Big-Mutha-Truckers/

Towards the other extreme, what are some LPs where the LPer is clearly better at the game than 99.99% of people and it shows? I feel like most of the more impressive LPs I've seen have been based on good planning and editing but not so much raw skill.

Also to be super annoying and specific, preferably not speedrunny kind of stuff, as I get enough of that from actual speedruns.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Powerfrog posted:

One of my favorite unexpectedly chill LPs ever is MapleLeaf's Big Mutha Truckers. http://lparchive.org/Big-Mutha-Truckers/

Towards the other extreme, what are some LPs where the LPer is clearly better at the game than 99.99% of people and it shows? I feel like most of the more impressive LPs I've seen have been based on good planning and editing but not so much raw skill.

Also to be super annoying and specific, preferably not speedrunny kind of stuff, as I get enough of that from actual speedruns.

This'll probably seem a little... "janky" by now, since it's an LP from 2009, but if you're looking for skill, you can't really miss out on James315's Battlefield 1942 LP. Yeah, an LP of a multiplayer game seems like a really bad idea, but he makes it work. Even when his side loses, he usually still tops the scoreboard. His voice is always calm and informative, and he explains most of the little tricks he uses to get an edge.

/edit:
Also, some extremely badass things happened in that LP

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Powerfrog posted:

I always thought that AccountingNightmare did a great job of being exceptional at the Devil May Cry series: http://lparchive.org/author/accountingnightmare or to go with some more recent, mkob is breaking Godhand to pieces with his skill: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720944