Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
HDFS and Spark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

you can create maps like $aThing = @{ SomeProp="fffff", whatever="guuuuhhhhh" } and then $aThing.SomeProp or $aThing.whatever. I haven't done much diving into the syntax cause I was doing something pretty simple.
I think you need a semicolon instead of a comma for whatever reason.

Also, if you specifically need a PSObject for some reason:
New-Object PSObject -Property @{SomeProp="fffff"; whatever="guuuuhhhhh"}

In Powershell 3 you can also cast to a pscustomobject:
[pscustomobject]@{SomeProp="fffff"; whatever="guuuuhhhhh"}

So it should be safe to use the latter syntax by the year 2025.

Of course, by then everyone will probably be using something instead. I kind of like powershell but it has too many warts and having different stuff in different versions on different computers (and different os versions since lots of the commandlets aren't even part of the actual language!) is a pain.

Microsoft has too many languages and they probably should have tried to make c# work for scripting instead.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 5, 2015

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

mystes posted:

[pscustomobject]@{SomeProp="fffff"; whatever="guuuuhhhhh""}

lol it's like they made objective-c flavored bash but it's still just as bad as bash

mystes
May 31, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol it's like they made objective-c flavored bash but it's still just as bad as bash
I don't know if it's quite as bad as bash. With bash it seems like it's basically impossible to write a script that will behave correctly all the time.

Powerhell is pretty powerful, and I feel like I can use it in situations where I would be reaching for something like python on linux.

On the other hand, a lot of stuff is still way to verbose, and it still has a lot of gotchas. Also, if you write something sufficiently complicated it's like you're ducktaping different weird Microsoft programming ecosystems together (.net, COM, WSH, the cmd interpreter, mmc, probably other stuff), to the point where it might get easier to just write it in some other language directly (it's easy to end up literally having to embed c# code in your powershell script for COM and .net stuff, or even writing what's effectively an IDL file embedded in c# in powershell).

This may be because I keep using powershell for stuff it's not really intended for, just because it's preinstalled everywhere now and has an interpreter, though. It mainly seems to be officially billed as a language to automate system administration tasks, rather then the default tool for everything, like bash on linux.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 5, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mystes posted:

Microsoft has too many languages and they probably should have tried to make c# work for scripting instead.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
microsoft language research is giving us good languages and good ideas (also microsoft is giving us good ides but thats not in the research dept)

google language research is giving us golang and dart

hm

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FamDav posted:

microsoft language research is giving us good languages and good ideas (also microsoft is giving us good ides but thats not in the research dept)

google language research is giving us golang and dart

hm

And that's why Microsoft is cool again.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah i'd be pretty interested in what microsoft could produce if they like, were ever able to start fresh on something.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
How do people decide which distributed-out-of-the-box nosql db to use? There's so many. We've been using elasticsearch at work and you can do that stuff with it too it seems.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Opulent Ceremony posted:

How do people decide which distributed-out-of-the-box nosql db to use? There's so many. We've been using elasticsearch at work and you can do that stuff with it too it seems.

They look at its syntax and pick the one with the most modern web design and the slickest examples that works in the only programming language they know, Javascript, which means they pick the one with the most ambiguous syntax that doesn't have schemas or require that you name tables before using them.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Valeyard posted:

HDFS and Spark
Oracle and mssql

they are both extremely needs suiting for us, a company that cares abt data integrity

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
we use a massive cassandra ring and a bunch of elasticache clusters for log processing

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
there are a lot of cases where you really only care that your data be mostly correct and so that's a great case for any kind of mongo thing.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i'd be pretty interested in what microsoft could produce if they like, were ever able to start fresh on something.

Everything about that Midori research project sounds pretty rad

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

there are a lot of cases where you really only care that your data be mostly correct and so that's a great case for any kind of mongo thing.

e.g. the forums run on mongo now

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Soricidus posted:

e.g. the forums run on mongo now

appropriate as they were written by a mongo

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

appropriate as they were written by a mongo

lmbo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think radium might have actually been one of the races that mongo is potentially a slur for, so

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
don't use mongo. don't even talk about that in an even remotely neutral manner lest it be construed as an endorsement for that garbage

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

don't use mongo

here is mongo pictured with a murderer

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

mystes posted:

f# interactive is a good scripting language. it woulbe a great shell language as well if they just dropped the drat case sensitivity, it's the only freaking annoying part about using it for quick hacks

or alternatively, take visual basic, add a pipe operator and improve its type inference a bit. vbscript was the old Windows scripting language so that might be an easier sell to blub sysadmins

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

[pscustomobject]@{SomeProp="fffff"; whatever="guuuuhhhhh"}

So it should be safe to use the latter syntax by the year 2025.

Of course, by then everyone will probably be using something instead. I kind of like powershell but it has too many warts and having different stuff in different versions on different computers (and different os versions since lots of the commandlets aren't even part of the actual language!) is a pain.

Yeah it is semicolons. It's real stupid cause you can see where they did things very c# like (for example typed parameters with validation attributes) but they didn't just use c# because... Reasons?

A c# PowerShell would probably be too good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

St Evan Echoes posted:

Oracle and mssql

they are both extremely needs suiting for us, a company that cares abt data integrity

MSSQL and oracle are only for people who care about their data.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Also lol @ the web administration powershell module not being signed.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

don't use mongo

here is mongo pictured with a murderer

hey la hey la

also arn anderson is the absolute best wrestler ever imo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

St Evan Echoes posted:

hey la hey la

also arn anderson is the absolute best wrestler ever imo

I met JJ Dillon at a con recently and he looked exactly the same as he did on TV in 1988

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

wait

f# as a shell scripting language? :pwn:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I met JJ Dillon at a con recently and he looked exactly the same as he did on TV in 1988
i met bob backlund hawking his book in dumbo and chatted to him and told him i hated him for beating bret hart that one time

i didnt buy his book either :hehe:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Luigi Thirty posted:

wait

it has a pipe operator, which is more than most languages can say

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

mystes posted:

powershell

these are correct opinions

powershell could be so good. piping actual objects around is objectively better than munging text output, but the language itself is just so awkward in practice. it might be easier if i used it every day, but i'm a casual

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

JawnV6 posted:

we just started using cassandra

it replaced mongo

woah same

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

JawnV6 posted:

we just started using cassandra

it replaced mongo

:popcorn:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

A c# PowerShell would probably be too good

so like csh but with c#? lol

part of what's both right and wrong with PowerShell is that it's implemented atop POSIX sh syntax but it's more intended for scripting than for interactive use

please watch this demo of Kalman Reti using Symbolics Genera again to see what an interactive command line should be; this sort of thing (command tables and presentations) actually isn't that hard to build and yet is way better for interactive use than any UNIX-style shell

and for scripting on a system like that you have a real language available that works with all the same objects in a way that's pretty trivial to wire up to the shell (just define a command)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm using mongo for a project right now because i'm doing some js based stuff where it doesn't matter at all if the data is lost and/or replaced. down the line it could be something else but for now it works and idgaf

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Luigi Thirty posted:

wait

type inference for concise syntax. active patterns for really easy, really concise flow control. pipe operators for, uh, piping.

I use it with the notepad++ plugin for quick text processing when a regex doesn't cut it and it works drat well.

the thing you'd really need to turn it into a shell language are case insensitivity, like I said, and an auto-loaded script file with a bunch of aliases for sysadmin stuff (file system, registry... don't want to type "open Microsoft.Win32.Registry" every time) and probably a couple of ad-hoc pretty printers (which you can already add to the current repl).

it would be better than c# at the job, no question

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
at work we're replacing Oracle with Postgres. i couldn't be more pleased. someone briefly suggested mongo but was mostly laughed away. mongo is entertainment scale

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

triple sulk posted:

i'm using mongo for a project right now because i'm doing some js based stuff where it doesn't matter at all if the data is lost and/or replaced. down the line it could be something else but for now it works and idgaf

you should have just used postgres 9.4+

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sagacity posted:

mongo is entertainment scale

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Sagacity posted:

at work we're replacing Oracle with Postgres. i couldn't be more pleased. someone briefly suggested mongo but was mostly laughed away. mongo is entertainment scale

we're doing the same thing, considered using enterprisedb for oracle compatibility but may go with straight postgres and do translations with ora2pg or by hand instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
speaking of terrible databases, my current project is a 100% client side development tool that creates a local database to store information about different kinds of hardware the user is developing with. i'd designed a sql schema and had happily and successfully using it until the main stake holder set his hair on fire saying "the data is in one file!?!? no no no no we need to be able to copy and paste items from the database between computers!!!!"

all alternatives to copying/pasting were shot-down, so now we're using a "database" of my own devision which meets the c/p requirement but is worse in almost every other way that i know of and surely many that i don't

• Locked thread