Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
No, they are really still selling 5 speed transmissions in tyool 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Ribsauce posted:

I looked through some of this thread and read about the emissions stuff, but I am curious what it means for non TDI cars. I drove a 2016Jetta SE with a 5 speed and really liked it. Should I still avoid it? Should I look for a used one whose price maybe dropped (my plan)? Or find an equivalent car from another manufacturer?

In my VW experience they are great when in warranty, but the day the warranty expires things will start breaking and nothing is cheap/easy to repair.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Lease German, buy Japanese.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
OK, that answers that, thanks guys

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
5 speed stick, 6speed auto.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

veedubfreak posted:

5 speed stick, 6speed auto.

But why? They aren't doing 5 speed manuals in most other markets, nor are any other manufacturers for that matter (unless you look at Chinese stuff I guess)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Because gently caress you, that's why.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

dissss posted:

But why? They aren't doing 5 speed manuals in most other markets, nor are any other manufacturers for that matter (unless you look at Chinese stuff I guess)

Because manuals are better :colbert:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CommieGIR posted:

Because manuals are better :colbert:

My point is why they bother with a special snowflake 5 speed manual rather than just using a normal 6 speed one like in most other markets.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

dissss posted:

My point is why they bother with a special snowflake 5 speed manual rather than just using a normal 6 speed one like in most other markets.

It could be an older design? It's pure economics--it's not like they are offering a 5sp on the GTi, it's the low end models.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Cost, it's as simple as that.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My car is having a really rough time starting up. I replaced all the spark plugs not too long ago. It's a bit frustrating because it happens intermittently. It'll be like, chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-bang and it'll start up fine after that. Drives fine. I guess I need to clean the engine internally? What is that process called specifically? I have a 80k GTI if that matters.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Is it a red car or a blue car? Is the engine biggish smallish or smallish biggish?

But seriously....you need to be a lot more specific here. Starting with the service history. This could be a basic deferred maintenance issue.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

obi_ant posted:

My car is having a really rough time starting up. I replaced all the spark plugs not too long ago. It's a bit frustrating because it happens intermittently. It'll be like, chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-bang and it'll start up fine after that. Drives fine. I guess I need to clean the engine internally? What is that process called specifically? I have a 80k GTI if that matters.

Mk1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Mk1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7?

MKV, FSI I beleive.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Coil packs. It's always coil packs.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Those coils will get you every single time.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The locks on my 2002 Golf GL are a pain in the fuckin' rear end. It's a two-door, and neither the driver side or hatch unlocks using the buttons or the keyfob. The passenger side unlocks just fine. I took apart the latch assembly for the driver side and everything worked the way it was supposed to mechanically and the solder points were solid so that makes me think that something in the fuses or relays are bad. I checked the fuses, but honestly don't know anything about relays or how they work. A detail that may be useful: I noticed that the bumper in back has cracked paint consistent with a low-speed impact which may have jarred the latch inside the hatch and is playing heck with the rest of them? The latch itself is very difficult to unlock and requires a decent bit of torque to get the latch to let go. I'd fire the parts cannon at all the latches, but that would run me something like $300.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Put the driver side lock assembly all back together but not in the door, then try it. If it works then it's probably binding on something rather then it being an electrical issue.

A relay is basically an electric switch that is activated by a low-voltage signal. So, when you hit your door unlock button the car's computer sends 12V to one side of the relay which "switches" it and allows 12V to flow through the other side to the doorlock solenoid which in turn manipulates the locking assembly (more or less). If you have a multi-meter you should be able to test the relay by unhooking the solenoid side and putting the leads across each terminal in continuity mode, triggering it with the switch and seeing if it opens/closes as it should. You can use roughly this same method to look for bad fuses or any wires with breaks/shorts in them. Think of it like taking apart a long pipe assembly then testing each section until you find the one that's blocked.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

bizwank posted:

Put the driver side lock assembly all back together but not in the door, then try it. If it works then it's probably binding on something rather then it being an electrical issue.

A relay is basically an electric switch that is activated by a low-voltage signal. So, when you hit your door unlock button the car's computer sends 12V to one side of the relay which "switches" it and allows 12V to flow through the other side to the doorlock solenoid which in turn manipulates the locking assembly (more or less). If you have a multi-meter you should be able to test the relay by unhooking the solenoid side and putting the leads across each terminal in continuity mode, triggering it with the switch and seeing if it opens/closes as it should. You can use roughly this same method to look for bad fuses or any wires with breaks/shorts in them. Think of it like taking apart a long pipe assembly then testing each section until you find the one that's blocked.
:doh: that's a great idea, thanks! When attempting to manually actuate the loving thing from inside the car it didn't work, either, so something's loving hosed in there, mate. The trunk hatch is probably way messed up in a similar way, too since the trunk-popping-button on the inside of the car doesn't work.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

obi_ant posted:

Like everyone else said, check your coils. There's a reason I have 2 spares in the boot :)

**edit

Also get a bluetooth OBDII widget, download torque and pull the codes if you want a clue as to which one you need to do (probably all of them within a few months of each other). Pull the coil for whichever cylinder isn't firing right, switch it with another one and see if the problem moves to the new cylinder.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 8, 2015

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

Like everyone else said, check your coils. There's a reason I have 2 spares in the boot :)

**edit

Also get a bluetooth OBDII widget, download torque and pull the codes if you want a clue as to which one you need to do (probably all of them within a few months of each other). Pull the coil for whichever cylinder isn't firing right, switch it with another one and see if the problem moves to the new cylinder.

I replaced all the coils no more than a year ago? I've read on a few forums that I might need an internal cleaning, and it's "normal" for my car around that mileage. I guess I can always get the Audi coil packs.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

obi_ant posted:

I replaced all the coils no more than a year ago? I've read on a few forums that I might need an internal cleaning, and it's "normal" for my car around that mileage. I guess I can always get the Audi coil packs.

I would pull your codes and check the coils before looking at any kind of unspecified "internal cleaning". You might also want to look at the wiring harness for the coils because that was a recall item on a lot of VAG cars due to heat damage.

As far as I can remember from when I replaced mine, Audi will provide the exact same OEM plugs as VW- the ones I replaced were stamped with VW and Audi logos, and they were ones fitted as part of the harness recall. For the 1.8t the solution seems to be getting the 2.0 tfsi packs and using an adapter to get them to fit snugly, but I haven't had any issues with the packs since I replaced them a year or so ago with bosch ones.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:argh: Audi needs lifters!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
There was a recall on the MKV coil packs I believe. Or at least Audi happily replaced all of them for free on my car out of warranty.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

:argh: Audi needs lifters!

Probably cheaper to LS swap it :v:

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

obi_ant posted:

If not coil packs or the battery you may need a carbon cleaning.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

zundfolge posted:

Probably cheaper to LS swap it :v:

This is going to get old, but that time is not now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

I know you are both joking, but I'm not swapping a 5 cylinder with a legacy for performance and endurance for a LS.

Plus: 5 cylinder parts are actually fairly cheap, since the 5 cylinder shares parts and specs with the 4 cylinders.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
My maintenance guide suggests I flush my brake fluid every two years. Should I actually be doing it that frequently?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yes.

So should I. Every 3-4 years has been my norm and I feel bad for it.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

meatpimp posted:

So true. I was going to suggest that a LS has lifters but was beaten to it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well, my tdi care package arrived, now I have 500 bux to spend at a vw dealership in the next year and absolutely no need to do so. I guess I'll find something to buy and resell :argh::argh::argh:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any quality resources for a turbo rebuild kit? I'm gonna be purchasing a used K04 for $35 and while it works now, I'd rather get the experience under my belt while I wait for the other turbo go-fast parts.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Well, my tdi care package arrived, now I have 500 bux to spend at a vw dealership in the next year and absolutely no need to do so. I guess I'll find something to buy and resell :argh::argh::argh:

Apparently newvwparts.com is having some sort of end of year sale, and they are accepting the $500 cards. I just got an email boasting up to 40% off (though we all know how that works). Anyway, might be worth shopping around.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

smax posted:

Apparently newvwparts.com is having some sort of end of year sale, and they are accepting the $500 cards. I just got an email boasting up to 40% off (though we all know how that works). Anyway, might be worth shopping around.

I don't even know what to buy, it has 28k miles and needs nothing for years. My card will expire before my 40k dsg service.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

I don't even know what to buy, it has 28k miles and needs nothing for years. My card will expire before my 40k dsg service.

I was thinking more along the lines of the accessories section. For example, a map update for the navigation is like $200, or you could get some cosmetic things to personalize your car.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Or you could buy a bunch of VW keychains and use them as Christmas tree ornaments.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Isn't it obvious? Buy spare coilpacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Buy me a spare tire for my R :p