Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Naturally Selected posted:

Wait I thought the Clipper was basically a better-defended truck due to the ridiculous wing weapon mounts? :downs: Not like I can afford one yet or anything.

The Clipper has 5 weapons. 2 large, 2 medium, and 1 750 ton kinetic melee weapon. It is one of the best PVP ships in the game, an absolute joy to fly if you know how to fly sideways, and just generally it owns in every way. The distant wing mounted weapons mean it is not so good if the other guy knows how to chaff and fly, but it can generally escape if it can't win, because it's fast as hell. Basically, it's a PVP ship that lets you pick and choose if you want to fight. If you know the odds, it might not always win, but it never loses.

quote:

1: Yeah I keep seeing people mentioning getting 15-30M/hr bounty hunting, meantime I'm running around high intensity res'es in a vulture and can't seem to find enough big fish to get above 1-1.5/hour or so. Partly because of the ridiculous 7KM scan range, as well.

Those days are probably done. You can get 15-30M bounty hunting if you are powerplaying for Avril or Hudson, and you are resetting your RES to always be fighting dropships and up. You have to log out and log in over and over to get new instances until you get a spawn table that gives you dropships, clippers, and so on, and then you can Get Paid. Until then, bounty hunting even in the big leagues gives 10M in an hour or so.

quote:

2: I'm already Allied with both feds and imps, but I couldn't figure out how to start getting the actual ranks that are required to buy their ships, which is why I was asking. Everyone's green to me, but in the standings window I get Relationship: Ally, Rank: None. Finally found out that evidently you need to do rankup missions that might or might not appear on bulletin boards. Which is just terrific.

You have to run missions, the rankup missions appear after you do a certain number of normal missions. The first 5 ranks or so come quick, but it's exponential, so the 5 ranks after that take a long, dedicated grind.

quote:

3: The more I look at gear the more I start to think that they really just copy-pasted the same stats for everything from the sidewinder list and called it good enough. Again, scanners that can't even extend to the full line of sight. :frontear:

Yeap p much.

quote:

Also was there ever a reason given why every single ship has the same exact UI and control scheme? A sidewinder has the same exact setup as a type 6 which has the same exact setup as a drat Anaconda. Is this just a thing or are they planning on changing it up at some point?

In the lore, the dashboards are designed by the Pilots Federation and are universal. Pilots Federation (who you fly for) are a big enough thing in Elite to basically dictate How It's Gon' Be because they control all interstellar commerce, trucking, and so on. So they have a standardized, universal HUD that all ships will project, in order to be in conformance with the Union, basically. This is why even the SRV has a very similar HUD. Is it laziness? Partly, but it's also justified in the lore, so it's justified laziness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Paramemetic posted:

In the lore, the dashboards are designed by the Pilots Federation and are universal. Pilots Federation (who you fly for) are a big enough thing in Elite to basically dictate How It's Gon' Be because they control all interstellar commerce, trucking, and so on. So they have a standardized, universal HUD that all ships will project, in order to be in conformance with the Union, basically. This is why even the SRV has a very similar HUD. Is it laziness? Partly, but it's also justified in the lore, so it's justified laziness?

It's also a pretty rad hud to begin with.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah it's a really solid design. I'm a big fan of it personally.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Libluini posted:

I just tested this again to make sure. Don't waste time scanning all planets, only star systems count as a "report". The community goal is literally unable to discriminate between a star system filled with 99 Earth-like planets and and a star system with just the sun alone. :shepface:

sonofabitch

So instead of asking for the most detailed data, it's asking for the least? I thought this was a way to ease explorers into scanning rocky/icy planets cause they'll matter in the expansion, but I guess not!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
http://gfycat.com/SmartDecimalHarrier

Did no damage at all :(

Also sweet parking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZS-xMUvpbY

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 5, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So I have my ship in Corolis and it says I should be fine running 2 shield boosts, power wise, when deployed. But in game I have to have them all turned off when deployed to have my fightin' gear powered. Is the site just vastly inaccurate or am I missing some thing? I have the same priorities both places.

e: actually what the hell now I have no problems in game. I was having hell of problems a long time ago. Must have gotten drunk and upgraded my power plant or something stupid.

Paramemetic posted:

Those days are probably done. You can get 15-30M bounty hunting if you are powerplaying for Avril or Hudson, and you are resetting your RES to always be fighting dropships and up. You have to log out and log in over and over to get new instances until you get a spawn table that gives you dropships, clippers, and so on, and then you can Get Paid. Until then, bounty hunting even in the big leagues gives 10M in an hour or so.

Do Hazes give more per kill or something because I do 2-3m an hour in Hi murdering everything in sight. Hi is easy enough and comfortable but if the payout is 3x higher god drat

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 5, 2015

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Messing around in the Horizons beta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PG5tiRTfp8

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How to pass the time while making a Robigo run:

Draw your favorite ship
pre:
          Cobra Mk III

-----------     
          /\ []___[] /\     
         /  \ /___\ /  \     
        /    \     /    \    
       /    _ \ _ / _    \  
      /    //  | |  \\    \ 
     | \   U   | |   U   / |
     |---------------------|
          \--/     \--/ 

Faulcon DeLacy
Funny, that looked a lot better proportioned in the preview.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 5, 2015

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

All the bindings at least have optional keyboard bindings, but if your computer recognizes the controller you have plugged in as a 360 it should show you options for “Default Context”, which is probably what you’re looking for. If you want to get more complicated, read on.

It varies by ship. I got away for a long time with no lateral thrust, though.

Cool, thanks. I finally got around to loving around in the bindings file and changed some stuff more to my liking tonight, maybe I'll actually start playing the game this weekend

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

What was that planet in beta again which has everything? My local planet in beta has some annoying holes in its offerings.

Shinrarta Dezhra?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ohsosad posted:

Ok so I've googled and searched for information on grinding imperial ranks for the clipper and am i right in believe that i just do poo poo loads of missions and ill eventually get an ascension mission?

Are there any tricks to making this process not terrible?

As a joke-option, you can try running missions for the Feds for a while. In my own experience, generally I got 3 Fed ranks for 1 Imp rank when doing Imp-missions and 3 Imp ranks for every 1 Fed rank when doing Fed missions. While grinding to get the rank for my Federal Assault Ship, I literally jumped up to Count.

I think that's almost high enough to get the Imperial Cutter. :v:

Grondoth posted:

sonofabitch

So instead of asking for the most detailed data, it's asking for the least? I thought this was a way to ease explorers into scanning rocky/icy planets cause they'll matter in the expansion, but I guess not!

I think they want this to happen, but they forgot (or were unable to in the short timeframe) to change the programming for CGs, so since explorer-CGs can only count your reports, that's all what matters.

no_recall posted:

Shinrarta Dezhra?

Thanks, but in the meantime I looked both of them up and of course went for the other one (L-something + number). Then I learned Dalton Gateway is 100k light seconds away. :shepface:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Libluini posted:

As a joke-option, you can try running missions for the Feds for a while. In my own experience, generally I got 3 Fed ranks for 1 Imp rank when doing Imp-missions and 3 Imp ranks for every 1 Fed rank when doing Fed missions. While grinding to get the rank for my Federal Assault Ship, I literally jumped up to Count.

I think that's almost high enough to get the Imperial Cutter. :v:

I think they want this to happen, but they forgot (or were unable to in the short timeframe) to change the programming for CGs, so since explorer-CGs can only count your reports, that's all what matters.

Thanks, but in the meantime I looked both of them up and of course went for the other one (L-something + number). Then I learned Dalton Gateway is 100k light seconds away. :shepface:
If you're trying to get there for fitting in the beta (Dalton has a garbage selection in live) you can just hop in a sidewinder, self destruct, choose to spawn at Trevithick Dock in LHS 3447 with the starting sidewinder and then fly the 10 LS or whatever it is to Dalton.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mercurius posted:

If you're trying to get there for fitting in the beta (Dalton has a garbage selection in live) you can just hop in a sidewinder, self destruct, choose to spawn at Trevithick Dock in LHS 3447 with the starting sidewinder and then fly the 10 LS or whatever it is to Dalton.

Man, this would have been really good to know before I made the trip. Welp, too late now. But considering this is the beta and all, I'll definitely self-destruct when I want to go back test something else.

You're like, two days late at this point, mate.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Libluini fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 5, 2015

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

What was that planet in beta again which has everything? My local planet in beta has some annoying holes in its offerings.
Beagle 2 in Asellus Primus.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
Is the game down? I received "Could not connect to the transaction server" or something while jumping into a system. Connecting to the game sits at the ship loading screen.

Edit: Nevermind. Closing the launcher fixed it.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I take it the Fed. Corvette is definately better than the Imp. Cutter for combat stuff, right? Has anyone tried both

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I take it the Fed. Corvette is definately better than the Imp. Cutter for combat stuff, right? Has anyone tried both

It is better yeah, but the Cutter is the new premier cargo ship.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Yes.

Fighting with the cutter is doable but it's a joyless experience.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Some updates. Viper MK4 is a glorious of a ship for landings. Took out a Goliath with it weaving in and out of a side of a canyon like an Apache. Felt like a badass dodging the missiles.

Smaller ships are definitely the thing for horizons. Only use case I see for large ships is in wings as support ships.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Do fixed cannons take leading into account? I've got a fixed laser and a fixed cannon bound to the same fire button and it's just occurred to me that that may be very stupid.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Unkempt posted:

Do fixed cannons take leading into account? I've got a fixed laser and a fixed cannon bound to the same fire button and it's just occurred to me that that may be very stupid.

Yes. It should be a circular one. Lasers require no lead time. The one you are seeing should be explicitly for your cannon.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

no_recall posted:

Yes. It should be a circular one. Lasers require no lead time. The one you are seeing should be explicitly for your cannon.

So at least one of them is almost always going to miss... ah gently caress, that might explain some stuff.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Unkempt posted:

So at least one of them is almost always going to miss... ah gently caress, that might explain some stuff.

Yeah. Put the laser on a gimbal or at least a a different fire group, or you'll miss 90% of your cannon shots. Or put the cannon on a gimbal, but you'd probably have better results doing it with the laser, seeing as gimballed cannons aren't the most accurate, not to mention the fact that no cannon types are very good at range, due to the low projectile speed, unlike lasers.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'm flying in my Imperial Eagle enjoying it's rad thruster power while planetside. You can fly in any direction at any pitch and roll and the Iggle will hold it's position, handy because you can fly upside down. Anyway I'm cruising along, looking 'up' at the planets surface. I'm looking for a rock outcropping to see if I can 1. spot it from my ship and 2. shoot it with my ship weapons and have it spawn the materials. I spot a 'point of interest', basically a USS but on a planet surface, shows up as this big blue disc. I slowly scan around trying to see what it is. Finding nothing in my ship I land, deploy my SRV. When the screen fades in and my SRV gets dropped down to the surface I'm greeted by a wrecked ship, 2 cargo canisters and 2 skimmers scanning me. I just landed and deployed and this wreck most definitely wasn't here as it's the size of my Imperial Eagle. Since I'm not about to shoot my precious SRV ammo at these skimmers when I have my ship right here, I redock with my ship, use my ship to destroy the skimmers, then redeploy my SRV. I get a black screen, 'couldn't communicate with server' error and the game crashes. Cool.

I jump over to the bug report forums to see if anyone else is having these two issues, the ship not seeing POIs and the black screen SRV bug. I find the black screen bug, it's been reported already. I then find the POI-from-the-ship thread, cool it's already been reported as well. I click on this thread to see what people have found. Turns out a few people have noticed this, taken pictures and videos showing whole installations popping into existence as soon as they drop from their ship into their SRVs, mere meters from their ship they were just in. I read some more down.

:frontear:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, that is pretty dumb. I wonder what the justification is? That being in a ship would make them too easy to farm (like you'd want to)/identify/escape from?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 6, 2015

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:negative:

Dammit frontier.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yes.

Fighting with the cutter is doable but it's a joyless experience.

Or, if you're not satisfied with a merely joyless experience, try fighting with it in an asteroid belt, it's a buttclenching experience full of pain and regret.

*do not do this

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, that is pretty dumb. I wonder what the justification is? That being in a ship would make them too easy to farm (like you'd want to)/identify/escape from?

That's just it though, the moment you 'spawn' this event you can hop right back into your ship and use it to attack the event.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The fact that you can't pay off a dormant bounty, especially if you got it for a stupid reason like accidentally hitting a cop with a laser in the midst of a firefight, pisses me off to no end.

For low end players who can't afford to fight the cops it basically bans them from the system for a week until it becomes a legacy fine, which becomes rather troublesome when your ship is stored in that system.

I've tried being scanned by a KWS but the dormant bounty doesn't show up, so being killed doesn't even remove it.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Looks like I'm finally getting the hang of the game. After trying to grind missions and slowly eking out money, I finally upgraded to an Eagle. Spaph showed me the ropes and helped me leech some HAZRES (though I lost like 75% because I kept dying :v:) and tonight I solo leeched off some cops in normal RES and ended up winging with a pubbie. Now I have 1.5 mil which I know is peanuts for all of you but it's a lot for my newbie self to make in a day. I'm looking forward to finally buying my Cobra but drat if my Eagle isn't fun as hell to fly, especially after puttering away in a Sidewinder.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Someone is sperging out hardcore on inara. That date range tho.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

Looks like I'm finally getting the hang of the game. After trying to grind missions and slowly eking out money, I finally upgraded to an Eagle. Spaph showed me the ropes and helped me leech some HAZRES (though I lost like 75% because I kept dying :v:) and tonight I solo leeched off some cops in normal RES and ended up winging with a pubbie. Now I have 1.5 mil which I know is peanuts for all of you but it's a lot for my newbie self to make in a day. I'm looking forward to finally buying my Cobra but drat if my Eagle isn't fun as hell to fly, especially after puttering away in a Sidewinder.

poo poo i remember back in the day, when it took weeks to get 1.5 million credits :bahgawd:

Speaking of eagles, does anyone know what the max size ship you can carry will be? I've seen "up to sidewinder-sized" mentioned before, but my dream is to have an eagle inside my anaconda :gay:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Rah! posted:

poo poo i remember back in the day, when it took weeks to get 1.5 million credits :bahgawd:

Speaking of eagles, does anyone know what the max size ship you can carry will be? I've seen "up to sidewinder-sized" mentioned before, but my dream is to have an eagle inside my anaconda :gay:
As I understand it, it's just the Condor/Imperial Fighter (which are/will be available in CQC). Sandro recently said on one of the horizons streams they want to avoid a 'space turducken' moment where you could have a sidewinder loaded with an SRV in an Anaconda which would be a buggy inside a ship inside a ship.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Mercurius posted:

As I understand it, it's just the Condor/Imperial Fighter (which are/will be available in CQC). Sandro recently said on one of the horizons streams they want to avoid a 'space turducken' moment where you could have a sidewinder loaded with an SRV in an Anaconda which would be a buggy inside a ship inside a ship.

Figures. A space turducken would be extra fun, and we can't have extra fun now can we.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

How does the DBS handle planetside?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The DBE handles pretty nicely, I can't imagine the DBS being worse.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Rah! posted:

Figures. A space turducken would be extra fun, and we can't have extra fun now can we.

Yeah that's the reason :thumbsup:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah that's the reason :thumbsup:

Surely I was being 100% serious. Still, a space turducken would be cool, and I wouldn't put it past frontier to reject something logical/plausible/potentially fun, simply as a low-effort way to balance things. It's not like they haven't done it before.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Rah! posted:

Surely I was being 100% serious. Still, a space turducken would be cool, and I wouldn't put it past frontier to reject something logical/plausible/potentially fun, simply as a low-effort way to balance things. It's not like they haven't done it before.
For real though, I can't figure out what's wrong with the example given- a buggy inside a Sidewinder inside an Anaconda. If there were a couple more layers, sure, but that level of nesting alone is just fine in terms of being manageable to the player. A full-featured landing craft for players who want to be able to fly a larger ship while still being able to get around on a planet is nothing but a good idea, something that other games would do if they could and would put on their features list as a selling point.

Maybe they think their engine can't handle it or something, I dunno. There's no good design reason why not.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HiroProtagonist posted:

Someone is sperging out hardcore on inara. That date range tho.

I don't understand, that's what the logbook is there for: Write your own fiction about what happens to you.

If there is something interesting in the posts itself, post them. There are hundreds of people who write a lot of log entries, me included: I probably have more then that guy, even.

• Locked thread