Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
It might not have been the main reason for Mordred to exist, but what I really liked were the almost infinite amount of group setups you could create, mixing classes from all three realms.
This both for 8man pvp as pve.

Some complete OP combo could be made with for example resist debuffs (body or cold) which would then be abused by a class you normally couldn't team up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Hashshashin
Jul 7, 2015

DABS ALL DAY
I played on Andred, then Andred migrated to mordred so I played on mordred till the end.

Mordred was one of the best game experiences I ever had, it was also popular.

It became less popular though when DAOC started to fade and other MMO's came out.

But I agree, Having it be guild vs guild in a FFA environment made the tears taste oh so good.

I'm sure its been brought up on forums, I'm just not a backer as of yet so I figured maybe one of you had some insight.

Oh I was illuminati RR11L5 infil on Mordred :)

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Dr.Hashshashin posted:

I played on Andred, then Andred migrated to mordred so I played on mordred till the end.

Mordred was one of the best game experiences I ever had, it was also popular.

It became less popular though when DAOC started to fade and other MMO's came out.

But I agree, Having it be guild vs guild in a FFA environment made the tears taste oh so good.

I'm sure its been brought up on forums, I'm just not a backer as of yet so I figured maybe one of you had some insight.

Oh I was illuminati RR11L5 infil on Mordred :)

For some reason this post really annoyed me and makes me want to hate you. I think it was the last sentence that did it.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Don't get mad about video games.

Dr.Hashshashin
Jul 7, 2015

DABS ALL DAY

Bait and Swatch posted:

For some reason this post really annoyed me and makes me want to hate you. I think it was the last sentence that did it.

Let the hate flow through you.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
None of those words mean anything to me.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Pavlov posted:

Don't get mad about video games.

There is no video game here to be mad at.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
posting is the game

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Third World Reggin posted:

posting is the game

You're thinking of crowfall.

Until they shut it down at least.

Dr.Hashshashin
Jul 7, 2015

DABS ALL DAY
This is why I internet.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Pavlov posted:

You're thinking of crowfall.

Until they shut it down at least.

I haven't even looked at their forums in months. How's that merry go round?

Orv
May 4, 2011
About what you'd expect; so far up its own rear end it's legally a midget.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Orv posted:

About what you'd expect; so far up its own rear end it's legally a midget.

I'll be waiting for that distant popping sound for when it finally goes so far it winks out of existence.

The "buy more addons!" emails i keep getting make me wonder how much longer.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Stealthers.

They also apologized on a stream for the delay of the crafting mechanics reveal and said it would be "very soon."

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Is crafting still supposed to be "like a pipe organ".

I remember them saying that once.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

posting is the game

The game is not to play.

edit: I want to know what goes into the marketing meeting at these failed MMO startups when they are deciding which forums to astroturf. My follow up question being: And how the gently caress Something Awful even makes it into the slide deck.

edit2: this game will be a bigger flaming wreck then Eternal Crusade and Star Citizen for the brutal impact on Mythic's nostalgic fanbois. Hell, the founders of Mythic should sue these scrubs for crapping all over DAOC.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 5, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
What.

Pavlov posted:

Is crafting still supposed to be "like a pipe organ".

I remember them saying that once.

I think they abandoned that?

E: Yeah I'm pretty sure they abandoned this insane bullshit at least.

quote:

Based on our world’s pipe organ
Pipe organ is a widely known and instantly recognizable item
Replace keys, stops, etc. with gems, runes, and other fun stuff
Players sit at the VM and use both sound and magic to interact with the materials that are placed within the VM
You don’t have to read music or understand music theory to play as a crafter. Sounds come from the Vox based on your actions as the crafter
Each Realm has its own version of the VM, but they work in an identical manner
This reduces the amount of time and resources we have to spend on the interface and effects, leaving more time to work on the system’s items
VMs scale in power and appearance. It is a fully customizable device, which will grow with the player over time

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 5, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
people like a thing so they must be shills. Is that what he is trying to say?

I think we all understand it wont be amazing, but still better than what exists

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Hal_2005 posted:

The game is not to play.

edit: I want to know what goes into the marketing meeting at these failed MMO startups when they are deciding which forums to astroturf. My follow up question being: And how the gently caress Something Awful even makes it into the slide deck.

edit2: this game will be a bigger flaming wreck then Eternal Crusade and Star Citizen for the brutal impact on Mythic's nostalgic fanbois. Hell, the founders of Mythic should sue these scrubs for crapping all over DAOC.

You're thinking about it too hard. They probably never even had a real marketing meeting.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Hal_2005 posted:

The game is not to play.

This makes just as much sense as "illuminati RR11L5 infil." Good post.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Hal tends to view things through the lens of the Illuminati because he is one of them.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Pavlov posted:

Hal tends to view things through the lens of the Illuminati because he is one of them.

He wasn't at the last meeting if so.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

people like a thing so they must be shills. Is that what he is trying to say?

I think we all understand it wont be amazing, but still better than what exists
You have to keep up your detected sense of hipster irony. You see, if you only enjoy things ironically you can never be wrong. Because if it was good you enjoyed it, if it was bad your enjoyment was ironic.

If you ever unironically enjoy something or look forward to something you are literally Hitler.

Dr.Hashshashin
Jul 7, 2015

DABS ALL DAY

Bait and Swatch posted:

This makes just as much sense as "illuminati RR11L5 infil." Good post.

I wish I was as good as you at posting.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Dr.Hashshashin posted:

I wish I was as good as you at posting.

Won't take you long, I don't really post anything worth reading. Your mistake was giving a poo poo that I quoted you.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xae posted:

You have to keep up your detected sense of hipster irony. You see, if you only enjoy things ironically you can never be wrong. Because if it was good you enjoyed it, if it was bad your enjoyment was ironic.

If you ever unironically enjoy something or look forward to something you are literally Hitler.

what?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
This thread is starting to deliver.

Stealther class descriptions sound badass too. That Redcap is like pure evil.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah I'm super hyped. The reveals have been pretty good and have outclassed most Kickstarter gaming content.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Redcap skill tenderize goes directly against their design document.

They said no stuns for rogues, but veilwalkers have a root from stealth and damage from stealth

haha this is going to be bad

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
A root is very different from a stun. You can fight back, you just can't flee.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Xae posted:

I tried to make a flow chart for this but it just went up your rear end. Weird.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
OP is updated with finalized class information. Waiting for some actually good screenshot and racial information to be fleshed out.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

OP is updated with finalized class information. Waiting for some actually good screenshot and racial information to be fleshed out.

I just spend half an hour in the alpha. Your OP won't need an update anytime soon.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Evernoob posted:

I just spend half an hour in the alpha. Your OP won't need an update anytime soon.

lol. Thanks again to everyone who told me not to buy into the alpha

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Evernoob posted:

A root is very different from a stun. You can fight back, you just can't flee.

It depends on other factors, but if you're killed fast enough, a root might as well be the same thing as a stun.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Or if you're a melee character.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
surely there will be a purge skill and against a character with no stuns and only a root you would purge it instantly and then not worry about it.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Fauxtool posted:

surely there will be a purge skill and against a character with no stuns and only a root you would purge it instantly and then not worry about it.

Roots are only really effective against melee, but usually melee has a toolbox to stay mobile, particularly "heavy melee" classes like Warriors. The big threat from Black Knights, etc will likely be an ability to spec into heavy stun resistance. This is a painful lesson that Blizzard had to learn over the course of WoW development -- the game became progressively more CC heavy in PVP, then they button bloated melee with a bunch of anti-CC, then they finally just reduced the CC abilities of every class because they found that most PVP came down to who could survive until Diminishing Returns fully kicked in and then retaliated. Right now, Warriors are THE most mobile class in the game, even moreso then ranged DPS. It's a hard balance to strike -- not enough CC resistance and melee are kiting ad naseum, and too much and melee beats you to death with your own weapons because you can't ever get them off you.

If CU uses a DR mechanic I will be pretty happy, I almost ALWAYS play warrior type melee, so I focus on surviving the initial burst and CC locks until I'm immune to them, and then bring the hurt. In WoW I usually ran around with a Paladin pocket healing me long enough to go poly/stun immune, then with a full rage bar I would dump into mages, etc and kill them extremely quickly.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 7, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Warriors are tanks right? If people are dropping out of stealth to focus your tanks, then they're idiots. It's the squishies that kite to survive who get hosed by a root.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Pavlov posted:

Warriors are tanks right? If people are dropping out of stealth to focus your tanks, then they're idiots. It's the squishies that kite to survive who get hosed by a root.

this is true in the made up game where nothing is set in stone and poo poo is probably unbalanced as gently caress from their previous game history

• Locked thread