Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So for some reason the badass son I'm trying to groom as my next Khagan became feudal when I sent him off to be a mercenary.

Will this change my government type if he inherits? I'd rather not go feudal if it all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hipster Occultist posted:

So for some reason the badass son I'm trying to groom as my next Khagan became feudal when I sent him off to be a mercenary.

Will this change my government type if he inherits? I'd rather not go feudal if it all possible.

He should only change your government to feudal if he also has an Emperor title. So unless he gets really drat lucky, you have nothing to worry about. And if he does get lucky enough to pick up an Empire title while a mercenary just roll with it.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

SeaTard posted:

He should only change your government to feudal if he also has an Emperor title. So unless he gets really drat lucky, you have nothing to worry about. And if he does get lucky enough to pick up an Empire title while a mercenary just roll with it.

Well, that's a relief!

I wouldn't put it past him though, he got the Wolf event and has already picked up Strong from it.

:edit and quick holy hell this guy better not get himself killed, he's amazing breeding stock

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hipster Occultist posted:

Well, that's a relief!

I wouldn't put it past him though, he got the Wolf event and has already picked up Strong from it.

:edit and quick holy hell this guy better not get himself killed, he's amazing breeding stock

New entry in ck2.txt in 3... 2... 1...

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Well, I finally managed to form Israel and not get immediately steamrolled. Started as Jewish Khazaria in old gods again. This time I stayed nomad until I had conquered Khiva, Persia, Afghanistan, Baluchistan, and Demascus. Then I invaded Jerusalem, formed Israel, built the third temple, and restored the high priesthood. By this point I'm using 10k in horde troops, plus another 20k from the rest of the clans, and another 22k in levies. A great holy war was called for Egypt which I won easily.

At this point, Islam is thoroughly crippled, so I settle in Jerusalem and found the custom empire of Israel. Most my Muslim vassals had just been spared after a big revolt so between revocations and bribes/titles for conversion every vassal I have is now Jewish.

Even better is before I settled I had all nomads united except some Magyars I pushed up into Slavic/romuva lands in the west and some Khirgiz to the east. I granted all the khanates I had to clans I was heavily allied to then granted all five clans independence. So at the end of it all I'm ruling an Israeli Empire consisting of Jerusalem, Demascus, Egypt, Persia, Khiva, Afghanistan, and Baluchistan with 82 Jewish MA and the nomadic lands are shattered into warring factions with de jure claims on each other to keep them from storming into Khiva. And all my former vassal clans are still Jewish so hopefully they'll still get into holy wars.

drat this has been a fun game.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 4, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I've got a weird modding problem.

The DESC in the following event file won't show. Options and title's area fine, but the text is just empty. Maybe one of you has an idea why.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1trzdyk1b4wokdu/jarls_looting.txt?dl=08
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9e5jkyd2qn8zhl3/jarls_looting.csv?dl=0

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What does the localisation look like?

e: And has it worked before?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 4, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Of course it worked before. I linked the files above to check them out.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Somehow your post made me lose any interest.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

The Suomenusko Church just decided to declare Holy War on Karnata in India.

I'm all for spreading the faith, but this does not make any sense. The farthest extent of Suomenusko in the east is Perm, which is nowhere near India or any Hindu realms.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

A Handed Missus posted:

I'm all for spreading the faith, but this does not make any sense. The farthest extent of Suomenusko in the east is Perm, which is nowhere near India or any Hindu realms.

Who can claim to understand the ways of the Gods? :iiam:

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I wish Finnic pagans were fun. You already have to deal with their lovely stretches of arctic forest poo poo land and poo poo troops.

edit: it's all thanks to Unreal World, actually, that I want to play them so bad.

LaSalsaVerde fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 5, 2015

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Is there any way besides constant stabbing to prevent vassals from demanding lower crown authority over and over? I'm playing as Pictland with the Charlemagne start, the year is 1070 something and I just adopted feudalism after taking over Ireland, Wales and about half of England. I'm at medium now, and they just won't leave me alone. They mostly love me other than that, but every few years, like clockwork, they rise up. I can slap them down easily enough, but it's a hassle, and I'm spending a small fortune on bribes and mercs.

I wish there was a way to tell them that I just want to enact primogeniture, then I'll set things back down to where they were and we can get back to making England our bitch :(.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Is there any way besides constant stabbing to prevent vassals from demanding lower crown authority over and over? I'm playing as Pictland with the Charlemagne start, the year is 1070 something and I just adopted feudalism after taking over Ireland, Wales and about half of England. I'm at medium now, and they just won't leave me alone. They mostly love me other than that, but every few years, like clockwork, they rise up. I can slap them down easily enough, but it's a hassle, and I'm spending a small fortune on bribes and mercs.

I wish there was a way to tell them that I just want to enact primogeniture, then I'll set things back down to where they were and we can get back to making England our bitch :(.

Look at the Lower Crown Authority faction. Anyone you can rightfully imprison, do so. Any Counts transfer their vassalage to a Duke. Any Dukes that like you, bribe them and give them honorary titles to make them like you more(if they like you at 70+ they will leave the faction I think). That will usually reduce the faction's power to the point that they will not make demands.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

cock hero flux posted:

Anyone you can rightfully imprison, do so.
If he's trying to avoid hassles this will probably be counter-productive because his vassal is likely to not go along with the imprisonment.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Back To 99 posted:

If he's trying to avoid hassles this will probably be counter-productive because his vassal is likely to not go along with the imprisonment.

Swatting down one guy at a time is easy. You just park an army on their land before you try to imprison them. If you have decent Intrigue you'll have a pretty high chance of getting it done and the one or two who slip through can be dunked immediately.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Every few years"? Normally I find that the +25 relations from crushing a major revolt, plus redistributing the titles from any of the real troublemakers, basically keeps it from being a problem for the rest of my ruler's lifetime.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Drone posted:

You could also form (Norse) Britannia as Jorvik.

Well, I guess I did ask for something harder! Had a rather short attempt at this where I foolishly had allowed one of my daughters to enter a traditional marriage before my one son died, thus causing my dynasty to die out. In a way, it was a relief, because I just had no answer for the allies Mercia was always pulling in when we had a conflict.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Crow Jane posted:

They know that's what you want, that's exactly why they're trying their damnedest to prevent it. Primogeniture succession is one of the most critical ways in which power is centralized and centralized power in your hands is the exact opposite of what your vassals want.

Also the Spymaster's mission to discourage vassals from factioning is handy for dealing with the guy that is just going to hate your guys no matter what and join every faction. When the event fires he's kept out of the faction game for, I think, a good 10 years.

Most troublesome vassals are Ambitious, and Ambitious people do a lot of plotting--and once you catch a vassal plotting you can throw him in the dungeon and never worry about him again.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

cock hero flux posted:

Swatting down one guy at a time is easy. You just park an army on their land before you try to imprison them. If you have decent Intrigue you'll have a pretty high chance of getting it done and the one or two who slip through can be dunked immediately.

Tried doing this, my dude died in battle, and his fourteen year old son took over. In those two years of regency, my crown authority was set back to minimum, because my regent was in that drat faction :mad:. I love and hate this game so much.

Anyway, I'm playing completely vanilla, and the AI is doing insane things this go-around. The year is 1163, and Catholicism has basically eaten everything, extending all the way to central Asia, with a strong foothold in Jerusalem. There's still a strong Sunni presence, including in Norway, of all things. Sweden, however, has formed a Catholic theocracy, with a female King-Bishop who was just appointed Pope :stare:. Through it all, the HRE never formed, and France is an elective monarchy. I have zero idea what's going to happen when the hordes come, especially considering the Khaganate is Catholic, but it's pretty amazing to watch. I kinda hope I can hang on til the end, just to see what the map looks like.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
how in the gently caress does this occur

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Civil war.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Civil war.
Gay.

i wonder if its possible to mod in an assassination decision to have someone killed on the battlefield. An event that can only fire if the target is at war and you're in their vassalage/ maybe de jure w/e they hold. Gotta be plotting on them before hand.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In my game that I just ported over to EU4 the Uyyamaades took France, Germany, and Jerusalem. Byzantine became Messalian and made Nestorainism a hersey. Persia is shia. Germanic was wiped out by the Finnish religion and all the hordes are Waldesian. Italy is the only Catholic country. Nurbia and Abyssina is Khazarian Messalians.

poo poo is all hosed up.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

verbal enema posted:

Someone caught him in a headlock and forced him to repeatedly hit himself with his own hand. "Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!" What a bully! <:mad:>

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

verbal enema posted:

I always assumed this was a case of a man dicing himself with his own weapon in battle.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

verbal enema posted:

I always remember this whenever I see this happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-9qZ4Zs6Ys

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

A Handed Missus posted:

I've had something similar happen with the Kohen Gadol declaring holy wars for Indian kingdoms and recently, Poland. Technically my huge Khazar-Arabian empire is relatively close, but you still have to march across tons of provinces and not one of those wars has succeeded since I've just not helped in them.

On the topic of insane AI moves, one of my Khagans found his dad and one of the dukes loving four goddamn times. Being the loving and pious son that I am I revealed their sodomy every time. :jewish:

Also, has anyone had the "found a wolf child" event? Does it always cause you to become a werewolf if you select the supportive options? I only killed livestock, but I'm presuming you can also accidentally murder someone during your moon madness?

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

cosmosisjones posted:

So when I go to launch the game it tells me it failed to create a graphics device. Drivers are up to date, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and I've verified the game cache and it still doesn't launch. Anything else I could try?

Still wondering if anybody has any ideas.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Having listened to Dan Carlins Wrath of the Khan series I imagine they (and the AI) shouldn't be weighted down by considerations about peace treaty length (5 years currently), those guys gave no fucks :stare:

As for theri slow expansion besides that, the Hordes move strangely slow in the far eastern provinces, far too slow I think - takes ol' Genghis several years just to take those provinces.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Haven't played heavily in ages; I went to imprison an rear end in a top hat vassal, so as you do I parked my entire demense army on his dick and then arrested him. As predicted it went bad for him, but I had to leave and reenter the province for the siege to actually start, intentional?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Orv posted:

Haven't played heavily in ages; I went to imprison an rear end in a top hat vassal, so as you do I parked my entire demense army on his dick and then arrested him. As predicted it went bad for him, but I had to leave and reenter the province for the siege to actually start, intentional?

Troops don't seem to actually update state until they "land" in a province, so just pause, tell them to go somewhere else, then immediately cancel the movement and it should update. It's just a little engine thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Huh, alright thanks.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Eh, it makes sense. The game already has thousands of little things to keep track of at all times, it probably wouldn't help if they had to check the state of all the idle armies every day.

On another note, the Elder Kings mod just updated after a long hiatus a month or so back, so I've been playing that for the last couple of weeks. Really fun(their artists are really good, the portraits fit perfectly into the game), if a bit low on unique events at the moment.
One thing that it reminded me of though, is that the CK2 AI absolutely cannot handle female leaders. I tried playing as the Matriarchal Snake empire on the eastern continent, and the female vassals will often set up normal marriages for their daughters, even if it means the end of that bloodline. I even see them marry normally to Lowborn characters.

Edit: Also mages are incredibly overpowered, but that might be true to the Elder Scrolls canon anyway.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 6, 2015

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I was playing a mentoring game with my friend, him being the duke of tutorial island and me being watchful as a duke of York under England. Things changed when the pope granted me Jerusalem for being so diligent during the crusade. I did not gain independence however, the kingdom of Jerusalem did not get granted to me. I'm baffled and don't really know wtf I should do with the holy land now :stonk:

I wonder if I should try to plunge the realm into chaos, seeing as I'm the spymaster of England and then try to gain independence, but the Caliph is going to want his land back and it's a long way from England to Jerusalem. Holy orders don't even exist yet either. Maybe I'll grant it all to a random relative and wish him luck

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh, other long term changes, question, I should hopefully be able to figure everything else out; there was a post god knows how far back that endless archer/heavy infantry stacks were no-longer the de facto retinue?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Purgatory and Mongols could not hold me back from starting a new Caliphate and a New Persian Empire.

Conquering Middle East as a new Caliph has become kind of uncomfortable now. "You have won the siege of Raqqa!"

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Know what I've noticed? The AI never sets up vassal merchant republics. I want to see that happen, drat it. I feel like it would really shake up the republic game if every rear end in a top hat with a king's crown and a coastline was jamming your waters up with two-bit infidel garbage scows.

E: and naval combat/blockades. I'm assuming that's just not possible but a guy can dream! Naval warfare was a thing during this time period, it just mostly involved ramming your scum-sucking enemy and hopping over to bury a boarding axe in his skull.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 6, 2015

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Hey Groogy, wanna tell us what the CK2 DLC codenamed "Zeus" is about? :bigtran:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Trogdos! posted:

Hey Groogy, wanna tell us what the CK2 DLC codenamed "Zeus" is about? :bigtran:
Probably just allows you to set up exhibitions of rare and interesting animals in your cities.

• Locked thread