Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Whoever thought it was a good idea to set the new map keybinds as YUIOP instead of ASDFG should get a very serious tutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Spy offense is actually a useful stat now that getting caught fabricating claims effectively resets your progress. Time to fabricate claims, too.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Sorced posted:

I went with this for my run (which is progressing well enough). With just 50 points you don't have much to work with ideas wise. Monthly WE/ monthly autonomy /yearly inflation are just really good in general and the two army tradition improvements are good for their cost compared to say 5% morale or 2.5% discipline.The rest I'm not that happy with, especially the development/idea cost reductions have been very inconsequential.

Tried this but replaced the development cost reduction with a 2nd level build cost reduction. Got 20 years in before the game crashed and the ironman save was deleted. While disappointing, I learned some good lessons about the start I had picked.

One question I have is with regards to the Nahuatal religion. If I'm a western Nahuatal nation and one of the actual Nahuatal nations passes a religious reform, does that reform apply to me? Would it be in my best interest to help one of the nations along until it passes all the reforms before finally conquering it?

e: Oh, I think I can make myself a vassal to help aid that along while I otherwise bide my time and build up tech.

e2: Nope, I misunderstood how Nahuatl works. Innate bonuses and not wanting to convert provinces at game start are the only reasons to start Nahuatl.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 5, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Maybe it's because I haven't played a game in the thick of Europe for a long time but I started an ironman as France to rack up some achievements (I've never played ironman before) and the diplomatic situation feels like it makes more sense but can also lead to some crazy clusterfucks occasionally. I have stalwart allies in Austria and Savoy and I'm building an alliance with Venice to start worming my way into Italy; meanwhile Burgundy got too greedy early on in the game eating Lorraine, got into a coalition war and got annihilated by an HRE swarm with something like fifteen different coalition members. It was hilarious to watch (and I swooped in on a trade dispute CB and got a little something on the side).

Edit: Never mind, game crashed when autosaving and now the save is completely blank. It's zero bytes, I opened it with Notepad and it's completely empty. So much for playing Ironman!

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 5, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Antti posted:

Maybe it's because I haven't played a game in the thick of Europe for a long time but I started an ironman as France to rack up some achievements (I've never played ironman before) and the diplomatic situation feels like it makes more sense but can also lead to some crazy clusterfucks occasionally. I have stalwart allies in Austria and Savoy and I'm building an alliance with Venice to start worming my way into Italy; meanwhile Burgundy got too greedy early on in the game eating Lorraine, got into a coalition war and got annihilated by an HRE swarm with something like fifteen different coalition members. It was hilarious to watch (and I swooped in on a trade dispute CB and got a little something on the side).

Edit: Never mind, game crashed when autosaving and now the save is completely blank. It's zero bytes, I opened it with Notepad and it's completely empty. So much for playing Ironman!

The patch claims they make a backup now, see if you can find it.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I really like the "get an advisor from an estate" system, and it leads me to an idea: maybe randomly add +/- estate influence and +/- estate loyalty modifiers to randomly generated ministers too, in exchange for +/- cost. E.g. an extra-cheap master recruiter could offend the nobility to the tune of -10 nobility loyalty while active.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I am so loving confused.

I'm playing the Timeline Extended Mod for shits and giggles, and Parthia (AKA Persia, just under a different tag) was revolted, and most of their land taken away. By who, you might ask? By Persia, of course!

Now there is Persian Parthia and Parthian Persia.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I am so loving confused.

I'm playing the Timeline Extended Mod for shits and giggles, and Parthia (AKA Persia, just under a different tag) was revolted, and most of their land taken away. By who, you might ask? By Persia, of course!

Now there is Persian Parthia and Parthian Persia.

This is what happens when idiots think having the entire timeline available is a good thing.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Oh, and Zoroastrianism is dead. It was replaced entirely by Manichaeism.

In addition, Western Rome collapsed into a new druidic state run by the Gauls, I have Byzantium as a vassal state (and get randomly raided by barbarians as a result), so the dream of Rome is dead. Completely dead. I think Egypt has FINALLY decided on Christianity, after flipflopping back and forth 3 times between it and Egyptian Polytheism, Bulgaria is Thracian and also Hellenic Pagan (GREAT OLD BULGARIA), the Huns did nothing all game, and the entire map is just a silly, silly mess.

Edit:

Never mind, Gaul converted to Arianism. Oh well, there's still druids up in Scotland, because I don't care enough to displace the Picts from there and Ireland.

Armenia is gonna be a hell of a thing for Mohamed to slog through once he spawns.

Ironically enough, I didn't actually receive many conversion events from Chalcedonian (Pre-Schism Christianity), mostly because the way it spreads makes sense, only nearby regions that have it as their religion spread it, and it didn't spread super quickly, so even though the provinces had the -100% missionary chance, it was easy to simply wait for it to wear off and reconvert.

Arianism, however, picks random-rear end settlements in the middle of nowhere until the year 550 and says, "HEY GUESS WHAT THEY'RE FOLLOWING ARIANISM NOW" and does this 5 times in a row to provinces you are trying to culture convert, while ALSO giving the -100% missionary chance, so you end up playing whack-a-mole as provinces at random change from your religion to Arian, wrecking your religious unity.

Edit 2:

Never mind, Gaul converted to Chalcedonian.

fishception fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 5, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dibujante posted:

I really like the "get an advisor from an estate" system, and it leads me to an idea: maybe randomly add +/- estate influence and +/- estate loyalty modifiers to randomly generated ministers too, in exchange for +/- cost. E.g. an extra-cheap master recruiter could offend the nobility to the tune of -10 nobility loyalty while active.

Ehh, that would assume the nobility care about actual competence.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

YF-23 posted:

It's less so they care about competence and more so they care about the advisor "EXHIBITING PROPER SOCIAL DECORUM" when "SPEAKING TO ONES BETTERS"

AKA: "this guy is too smart, gently caress him"

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
I'm doing my first ever Ironman game! After the early game I ended up between Super-Ottomans, Russia and Ming who were #1, #2 and #3 in army size respectively. After expanding down towards India to build my strength I just managed to win a war against Russia, but I've been too weak to challenge the Ottomans all game. I've just barely held them off when they attacked, the problem got even worse when they allied Ming.

I think this might be my shot though! Ming is having rebel problems and the Ottomans just started a war with Portugal and France.
Let's see how this turns out....

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Oh, and Zoroastrianism is dead. It was replaced entirely by Manichaeism.

In addition, Western Rome collapsed into a new druidic state run by the Gauls, I have Byzantium as a vassal state (and get randomly raided by barbarians as a result), so the dream of Rome is dead. Completely dead. I think Egypt has FINALLY decided on Christianity, after flipflopping back and forth 3 times between it and Egyptian Polytheism, Bulgaria is Thracian and also Hellenic Pagan (GREAT OLD BULGARIA), the Huns did nothing all game, and the entire map is just a silly, silly mess.

Edit:

Never mind, Gaul converted to Arianism. Oh well, there's still druids up in Scotland, because I don't care enough to displace the Picts from there and Ireland.

Armenia is gonna be a hell of a thing for Mohamed to slog through once he spawns.

Ironically enough, I didn't actually receive many conversion events from Chalcedonian (Pre-Schism Christianity), mostly because the way it spreads makes sense, only nearby regions that have it as their religion spread it, and it didn't spread super quickly, so even though the provinces had the -100% missionary chance, it was easy to simply wait for it to wear off and reconvert.

Arianism, however, picks random-rear end settlements in the middle of nowhere until the year 550 and says, "HEY GUESS WHAT THEY'RE FOLLOWING ARIANISM NOW" and does this 5 times in a row to provinces you are trying to culture convert, while ALSO giving the -100% missionary chance, so you end up playing whack-a-mole as provinces at random change from your religion to Arian, wrecking your religious unity.

Edit 2:

Never mind, Gaul converted to Chalcedonian.

This sounds stupid (even compared to base eu4 religion mechanics) but adorable at the same time. Does it spread new religions pretty well when they pop up?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Is trade broken? I don't see why Hungary should get caravan power here since it's not an inland node.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This sounds stupid (even compared to base eu4 religion mechanics) but adorable at the same time. Does it spread new religions pretty well when they pop up?

It actually spreads them out pretty well. Christianity starts in the Holy Land and slowly spreads outwards from there, going around the mediterranean. It's just Arianism is all sorts of fuckered, I guess they assumed that you'd convert to Chalcedonism, so Arianism popping up is kind of like a neat mini-protestant event?

But then Arianism stops getting random pop ups in 550, so eh?

I haven't actually seen Islam's rise, so I assume it's right fuckered. Not quite there yet in years.

fishception fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 5, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Yashichi posted:

Is trade broken? I don't see why Hungary should get caravan power here since it's not an inland node.

Nope not that I've noticed, it's just a weird tooltip.

They have three light ships and a merchant contributing to trade power, the tooltip tells you Caravan Power would be 50 * modifiers but Hungary is not actually getting a Caravan power bonus.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The patch claims they make a backup now, see if you can find it.

It's not in my Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV folder or in the Steam folder for the game. Where else could it be?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Antti posted:

It's not in my Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV folder or in the Steam folder for the game. Where else could it be?

Dunno, this is all the hotfix notes say: "There is now a Backup.eu4 copy of prior save for local saves and CloudBackup.eu4 copy of prior save for cloud saves (meaning that if game CTDs during save, you can recover save)." I'm not actually seeing it if I pop the game open, though.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Yashichi posted:

Pellisworth posted:

Nope not that I've noticed, it's just a weird tooltip.

They have three light ships and a merchant contributing to trade power, the tooltip tells you Caravan Power would be 50 * modifiers but Hungary is not actually getting a Caravan power bonus.

All of the other numbers in the screenshot also indicate that Hungary's getting 50 points of caravan power, though...

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

All of the other numbers in the screenshot also indicate that Hungary's getting 50 points of caravan power, though...
For some reason I thought that was Constantinople and was confused

That's Ragusa node, Hungary and all of them are steering TOWARD inland Wien. You get caravan power steering toward inland.

Edit: this is why Ragusa sucks if you're playing Venice, you want to route your trade through Alexandria because a ton of HRE minors among others will pull huge Caravan Power from Ragusa -> Wien

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

YF-23 posted:

It's less so they care about competence and more so they care about the advisor "EXHIBITING PROPER SOCIAL DECORUM" when "SPEAKING TO ONES BETTERS"

AKA: "this guy is too smart, gently caress him"

Basically this. "Why is our finance minister not of noble birth? This shall not stand! My cousin Ruprecht the Inbred touched a coin once. Surely he would be a better candidate."

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I guess I never paid enough attention to what caravan power does. Guess I'll just have to kill Hungary too.

It would be great if rebels could be taken back down a bit, having random events spawn 20 stacks when you have a force limit of 25 isn't really fun or interesting

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it just me or do estates get all the extra influence from getting more provinces when you conquer or annex land they're on but their loyalty remains the same as if you hadn't just given them 5+ provinces?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Yashichi posted:

I guess I never paid enough attention to what caravan power does. Guess I'll just have to kill Hungary too.

It would be great if rebels could be taken back down a bit, having random events spawn 20 stacks when you have a force limit of 25 isn't really fun or interesting

It's not just Hungary; before too long, every single goddamn German minor will be pulling 2%; it's just not worth forwarding through Ragusa to Venice in my experience. Just collect in Constantinople. You can get a solid 100% there.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Getting lots of random CTDs, seems to be getting worse as game progresses (later in timeframe). Playing RNW for what that's worth.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Poil posted:

Is it just me or do estates get all the extra influence from getting more provinces when you conquer or annex land they're on but their loyalty remains the same as if you hadn't just given them 5+ provinces?

It's not just you

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Poil posted:

Sounds about right. The estates still control the province, no matter which country owns it, so when you annex provinces and "inherit" an estate you're not giving them anything. It really sucks gameplay wise and they should give a little leeway after annexing territory where it's cheaper to pry estates off of your new land.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

So just give estates the minimum provinces?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Haven't made an HRE run in a long time. Trying as Bohemia. Didn't get the Burgundian Throne event thing, but neither did any one else.

But man is it difficult to enact HRE reforms. Any tips?

ed

Oh and they killed off the Hansa. So... who's the new Insane Trade country?

Bump.

I have an entire day alone in a Chicago hotel room tomorrow. So I'm burning my time with EU4.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Is there any way to get colored wastelands while I'm not at war, but during war they become regular wastelands? If not, I'm probably just going to play with colored wastelands turned off. It looks good for peacetime but during war it's confusing. I have to keep swapping to political over and over during wars.

EDIT: Decided to play a Horde game and wow razing is so fun. Just going around literally being the Mongols pt. 2, The Mongolianing is great.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 6, 2015

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
If I diplo annex someone in the HRE, will I get the Unlawful Territory modifier on their provinces?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Scrree posted:

If I diplo annex someone in the HRE, will I get the Unlawful Territory modifier on their provinces?

No, because the Emperor can only demand unlawful territory if you hold an HRE province without having a core on it. Diplo-annexation gives you free cores on all the provinces you just annexed.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Whorelord posted:

Generally yeah. You can boost loyalty by the various estate decisions and siphon some monarch points or income, but be very careful of pushing above 70 Influence or below 30 Loyalty. There are a lot of events that give 10-15 Influence which can push a 70+ score into disaster zone, and below 30 loyalty gives you +10 RR in every province owned by that estate.

It works pretty okay until you're conquering provinces which are already assigned to an estate. In which case you get hosed really quickly, as mentioned.

Scrree posted:

No.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just got the CTD and deleted save for the second time. Where is the 'backup' save, because I can't find it at all.

EDIT: Yeah the regular save doesn't show up ingame and when I look its 0kb.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Scrree posted:

No, but you still make everyone in the HRE pretty mad when you do it. It's not a big deal though.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Scrree posted:

There's a different opinion modifier you get that makes HRE members mad but the territory doesn't get any penalties.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Poil posted:

Yeah, the way it works is that loyalty is increased when you grant them provinces, but it's not based on any static figure. Meanwhile, the estate has a base amount of influence plus up to 40% based on how much territory they control, regardless of how they came to control it. So if you conquer a province controlled by an estate, then the estate will probably gain influence without gaining any loyalty.

It's really stupid and I hope they change it.

Whorelord posted:

If you want to play it safe, yes. Granting a province to an estate and then later revoking it results in a net loss of loyalty. That being said, the bonuses that estates give you can be really good, and you need high loyalty AND influence to get the most out of them. The Dhimmi estate in Muslim countries can give you up to 10% tech cost reduction, and they even get extra loyalty for having an impious ruler, which gets you even more tech cost reduction. You basically want to give them all the provinces you can, because they actually get less influence from territory than other estates.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Really? In all my Muslim nation runs I've been getting rid of the Dhimmi entirely because I like converting my land.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's always a valid strategy, but it's really nice being able to effectively jump up a tech group as a Muslim country. Dhimmi provinces also get -2 unrest if they have 60+ loyalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Seriously, this Extended Timeline mod is hilarious.

Islam finally popped in Arabia, and all of southern Arabia is now muslim and under control of the caliph there, but they're stuck next to a massively powerful and ascendant Armenia and Persia, both of which are Manichaean and essentially piggybacking off of the total collapse of the byzantine empire.

So they're probably gonna be stuck in Asia, since all the middle east powers are catastrophically strong and no one seems to be weakening.

Edit:

Oh snap, it's happening. They're attacking Armenia. Armenia is putting up a massive fight though.

drat son, Armenia is getting its poo poo pushed in.

fishception fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 6, 2015

• Locked thread