Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it's pretty great unless you're a Shaggar in which case it is bad. don't be a Shaggar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
e: gently caress this guy he has no taste ^ ^ ^

Necronomoticon posted:

is jessica jones any good, or is it entry level sci-fi for teens a la doctor who/cw shows/marvel cinematic universe?

It is actually just the latest MCU franchise on the block, and no better than the other dozen CW-ish superhero shows. Give it a month or two for goons to get some perspective. Remember how these freaking nerds flipped out over Daredevil.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 6, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i just love watching trash

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Necronomoticon posted:

is jessica jones any good, or is it entry level sci-fi for teens a la doctor who/cw shows/marvel cinematic universe?

the latter, without a doubt

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I kinda miss being 12 years old and just watching pure trash and loving it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh I just finished the latest episode and re: The Leftovers - Jasmine Savoy Brown is stupid pretty :heart eyes emoji:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Necronomoticon posted:

it does some interesting stuff from a rape victim perspective but drops a lot of that about halfway through the season

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
i watched the first few eps of jessica jones and imo it's pretty boring but the thing that really got to me is when they tell the audience that it actually literally takes place in the greater marvel cinemtatic universe, like they start talking about the alien invasion from the avengers that destroyed half of new york and they mention the hulk and poo poo, and it's just so tonally dissonant with the setting that the rest of the show is trying to create, and i'm thinking jesus christ do they know they can just tell a story without all that stupid marvel universe context but lol of course they cant because i guess the poeple who are in charge of this poo poo at disney/marvel studios are actual 9 year olds who want to be allowed to imagine a world where jessica jones meets tonmy stark

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

theres nobody relatable in the leftovers.

even the children of the unrelatable sherif rear end in a top hat dad are some shitlords

the "best" part of the show though is how that cult works, those assholes that just hang out and smoke cigarettes while looking at people

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

liv tyler literally lost people in that event that happened, and she is struggling & trying to move on, except there's literally an rear end in a top hat outside her window 24/7 smoking a cigarette and maintaining eyecontact.

this is not cool imo

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

super fart shooter posted:

i guess the poeple who are in charge of this poo poo at disney/marvel studios are actual 49 year olds who want to be allowed to imagine a world of pure marketing synergy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

of course it can be a comment on society or whatever, but liv tyler falls down stairs or something, because after being stalked and yelling at her stalkers for days, she is now one of them. she now smokes cigarettes and tries to maintain eyecontact with that priest or whoever else?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

best part of jessica jones is mra redpill doctor who

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Necronomoticon posted:

its just bad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

actually the best part is the Hellcat Patsy Walker, I hope she gets her own spinoff

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in Jessica Jones the characters have all read the script but forgot they aren't supposed to react based on stuff they wont learn for a few eps.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the lead character is in love with dr who so she refuses to do anything about him until the very end when she kills him for hitting on her best friend.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Necronomoticon posted:

it's very little sci-fi

fun show though ten other people already chimed in to say it's bad

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Necronomoticon posted:

it's not very good

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Shaggar posted:

the lead character is in love with dr who so she refuses to do anything about him until the very end when she kills him for hitting on her best friend.

So much like in real life where women can struggle with conflicting emotions about similar experiences she only finally makes up her mind when someone she cares about is about to suffer the same fate? Seems reasonable to me.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Pwnstar posted:

So much like in real life where women can struggle with conflicting emotions about similar experiences she only finally makes up her mind when someone she cares about is about to suffer the same fate? Seems reasonable to me.

Women are frail, emotional creatures.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

killing dr who sounds like a good thing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

syscall girl posted:

it's very little sci-fi

fun show though ten other people already chimed in to say it's bad

it's the same people posting over and over again that it's bad

it's not actually bad

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

haveblue posted:

it's the same people posting over and over again that it's bad

it's not actually bad

hmmmmm

haveblue posted:

jessica jones is pretty great so far (2 eps)

haveblue posted:

jessica jones status: episode 3 good and I'm loving the running thing of any door jessica goes through is left broken and ajar

haveblue posted:

actually it's good

haveblue posted:

tonally all over the place is very deliberate. each individual property is for a different audience segment to cast the widest net and there are plenty of people who won't bother with the movies' overinflated world at stake action melodrama but might like a dark, hard R character piece

lmao

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
it just kinda feels stretched

like they capture the bad dude twice and have him at their mercy and he only gets away because of stupid people and/or coincidences

if Jessica had a gun when they were in the restaurant the whole thing would be over, especially since he carries out his threat anyway and she's immune to his powers

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
this YOSPOS thread is the worst except for all the other YOSPOS threads

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

at the date posted:

this YOSPOS thread is the worst except for all the other YOSPOS threads

this thread is worse because you keep posting here

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

at the date posted:

hmmmmm

lmao

yeah, over the course of a week, not an hour

sorry that people watch good shows despite you, better luck next time

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 6, 2015

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

please don't squander precious viewing minutes on mediocre Netflix shows, this is your tv life we're talking about, and we're worried for you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

computer parts posted:

it just kinda feels stretched

like they capture the bad dude twice and have him at their mercy and he only gets away because of stupid people and/or coincidences

if Jessica had a gun when they were in the restaurant the whole thing would be over, especially since he carries out his threat anyway and she's immune to his powers

they also make a big deal about Jessica being the only person who can kill him when actually pretty much anyone can kill him at any time if they kill him using anything other than the set of powers Jessica has. supercop litterrally walks up and shoots him in one episode and then in another episode he almost kills him with a bomb until Jessica saves him. its a very very bad show

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I mean yeah, this loving comic book heroine—whose defining characteristics are superpowers and alcoholism with a dash of past trauma—is right up there with Stringer Bell, Peggy Olson, and Lester Nygaard on the list of great TV character studies. e: oh, and let's not forget the "Zounds! Foiled again! I'll get you next time, Kilgraaaaaave!" masterpiece of a story

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 6, 2015

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

how about this:

don't watch television shows, there are much more interesting things you can do with your life.

try making something of your own for a change; and I don't mean make bad posts on a comedy web forum.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Glorgnole posted:

how about this:

don't watch television shows, there are much more interesting things you can do with your life.

try making something of your own for a change; and I don't mean make bad posts on a comedy web forum.

you first

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i prefer the happy medium of not watching tv and not making anything

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
lol if you consume

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i'm late to the stephenson party but i just came by to say anathem is my favorite stephenson book

the made-up words really contribute to the atmosphere and it wouldn't be as good a book without its substantial glossary. most science fiction works gently caress this up real bad and make up words that don't help at all. anathem is the exception that proves the rule.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm late to the stephenson party but i just came by to say anathem is my favorite stephenson book

the made-up words really contribute to the atmosphere and it wouldn't be as good a book without its substantial glossary. most science fiction works gently caress this up real bad and make up words that don't help at all. anathem is the exception that proves the rule.

that's not how that phrase works

dune has pretty good future words imo

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
I liked dune's future words more than Anathem because the ebook had links to the footnote but Anathem didn't so I just read the entire book without knowing what the weird words meant and thought i had a ton of book left judging by the progress bar on the bottom but then it ended and there was 20 pages of glossary.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

I liked dune's future words more than Anathem because the ebook had links to the footnote but Anathem didn't so I just read the entire book without knowing what the weird words meant and thought i had a ton of book left judging by the progress bar on the bottom but then it ended and there was 20 pages of glossary.

this happened to me with a fire upon the deep. the ending caught me completely off-guard because 30% of the ebook copy I have is author's notes

also i liked figuring out anathem's future words because they were similar enough to English ones and they helped set the tone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Improbable Lobster posted:

that's not how that phrase works

i have never seen anyone use that phrase correctly.

• Locked thread