Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

jammyozzy posted:

Somehow our air-con at work is arranged so if the R&D department downstairs cook a gearbox or diff the smell permeates the entire office upstairs. The whole place stinks of fresh gear oil anyway so you go nose blind to it, but burnt oil has its own nauseating odour. :gonk:

I like to shave my head and save all I comb out of the cat and roll it in just enough used gear oil to get it tacky without saturated before lighting the whole ball on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think I know what gear oil actually smells like, having never taken apart a gearbox that wasn't common-sump with the engine. But I love the smell of heavy axle grease. Is it anything like that?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Diff fluid has made me gag before.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think I know what gear oil actually smells like, having never taken apart a gearbox that wasn't common-sump with the engine. But I love the smell of heavy axle grease. Is it anything like that?

I spilled a little used gear oil (probably original oil from my bus, 40+ years old) in my toolbox, and all of my tools are RUINED. loving RUINED I CANNOT USE THEM INSIDE ANYMORE.

I spilled a little used gear oil (from the beetle, I filled it 1.5 years ago) on my skin, and it had a kind of pleasant mechanical scent that reminded me of diesel trucks without the sweet smell. It washed off okay.

"Time in service" matters greatly.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Burnt diff fluid is bar-none the worst automotive smell.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Just wait till you have a couple 5 gallon diffs full of this poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

It smells like an oil refinery's farts.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Geirskogul posted:

I spilled a little used gear oil (probably original oil from my bus, 40+ years old) in my toolbox, and all of my tools are RUINED. loving RUINED I CANNOT USE THEM INSIDE ANYMORE.

I spilled a little used gear oil (from the beetle, I filled it 1.5 years ago) on my skin, and it had a kind of pleasant mechanical scent that reminded me of diesel trucks without the sweet smell. It washed off okay.

"Time in service" matters greatly.

Acetone/brake cleaner couldn't save them?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Molybdenum disulfide is some stinky poo poo apparently. Not sure how being in a differential for a few years makes it smell worse.

Though, sensitivity to that smell appears to be genetic. It doesn't make me gag, but I have a few friends that heave when they smell it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Okay, so moly grease is what diff oil smells like?

Because I love that smell. I have a tube of Honda Moly 60, 60% molybdenum disulfide by weight, and just mmmmmmmmmmm

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Fresh 80/90 GL5 smells pretty decent coming out of the bottle, limited slip additive spells really bad though. Burnt and crispy oil bath type stators have a worse than normal burnt electronics stink that likes to get in your clothes and stick around for a few washes. I was pulling apart the forks on a 1974 Yamaha that still had the original fork oil, the only oil smell that has made me gag almost to the point of throwing up.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
My coworker i poo poo you not, throws his face into every diff he services and inhales deeply like Quagmire sniffing a stiletto.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

Diff fluid has made me gag before.

When I worked at jiffy lube in high school my friend was servicing the rear diff on a cherokee. He looked away to yell something at me and forget he was pumping diff fluid. Out shoots the handle and soaks him completely. He smelled for weeks. Luckily for him it was fresh diff fluid so it only smelled own and fresh diesel oil.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Elmnt80 posted:

The ATF cooler in the rad failed and pumped a few quarts of ATF into it. It was not a pleasant experience.

I've always heard of it going the other way, destroying your transmission.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I've always heard of it going the other way, destroying your transmission.

I apparently got lucky, no strawberry milkshake for me. Fluid was still that nice dark ruby red color when I changed it today.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

SouthsideSaint posted:

When I worked at jiffy lube in high school my friend was servicing the rear diff on a cherokee. He looked away to yell something at me and forget he was pumping diff fluid. Out shoots the handle and soaks him completely. He smelled for weeks. Luckily for him it was fresh diff fluid so it only smelled own and fresh diesel oil.

Thats funny it was a Cherokee that made me gag.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sagebrush posted:

Absolutely not.

I've only serviced differentials on two vehicles, my '12 JK at 50,000 miles when I decided to install lubelockers, and my '66 Corvette when I decided that it was almost certainly on the original oil and about 110,000 miles. There was a huge difference in the smell...the Jeep's oil smelled bad, because gear oil is just not pleasant stuff, but the Vette's oil was loving awful. I don't even have words for it. I've lived near a paper mill and a garbage dump, and those are nothing in comparison.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 6, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Great oil is not really so terrible at first, it's more when you leave the drain pan full and then the next day the whole garage stinks like it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Acetone/brake cleaner couldn't save them?

It's inside the ratchet mechanisms, and permanently "stained" the plastic with smell.

Used gear oil is not just a moly scent. It's like the metal powder that has been slowly accumulating in the fluid makes it worse.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It actually kind of makes sense on a chemical level. Most of the really smelly chemicals are complexes of organic compounds and various metals -- and that's what you've got in a gearbox. Plus, chemists can produce a huge variety of strange organic compounds just by putting a few basic hydrocarbons into a sealed flask, applying heat, and cooking them for a long time. Again, that's a gearbox. Who knew that a car differential was a perfect smelly-compound reactor?

Someone needs to take a sample of smelly oil and get it analyzed in a spectrometer, so that we can look up the compounds in this table and figure out what, exactly, used gear oil smells like.

e: look at the 8+ chain hydrocarbons, like you'd find in greases and oils, and where they intersect with the thiols (sulfur compounds, like you might get from molybdenum disulfide). Skunks, rotting onions, STENCH, OBNOXIOUS

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 6, 2015

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
That is an amazing poster. I'm a fan of "Makes the sperm unable to find the egg"... No bueno.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sharkytm posted:

That is an amazing poster. I'm a fan of "Makes the sperm unable to find the egg"... No bueno.

Mouse pheremone is coincidentally the name of my new band.

I also like armpits (when 3‐methylated). Dont we all know that smell.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Aparently it's a thing.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

sharkytm posted:

the fact its in the "-Anal" column is just the cherry on the top of that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Where on the chart do those chemicals that will evacuate an entire block due to the smell if a drop is spilled fall?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Uthor posted:

Where on the chart do those chemicals that will evacuate an entire block due to the smell if a drop is spilled fall?

Those are generally selenium compounds

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Given its neighbors I always wonder about "ethereal" smells, closest I ever came was a fart I ripped so bad once the chick I was with described it simply as having skipped terrible entirely and landed at surreal instead.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You haven't ripped a nasty fart until the cat that was curled up in your lap jumped up, hissed, and ran off a few seconds after you ripped one so foul that even your own nose hairs disappeared.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Real-ale hangover farts in the shower the next morning have made me throw up a little.

EDIT: the worst involved an ale called Dark Side of the Moose

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Yesterday we replaced a headlight bulb in a 2007 PT Cruiser. It didn't work. The tech checked all the fuses. He swapped bulbs side-to-side. Then checked for voltage at the plug. Nothing.

Plug in the diagnostic computer. Listing all the modules - it has a TOTALLY INTEGRATED POWER MODULE. Oh great these things break a lot don't they? Pull the codes from the TIPM, and get LH LOWBEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH. Also got LH LOWBEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW. Hmmm. How about delete the codes! Turn off the car. Turn it on again? HEADLIGHT WORKS! YAY!

Thanks Chrysler. Needed a goddamned scantool to replace the headlight.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Collateral Damage posted:

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Yeah - this troubleshooting was over the course of two days. The car was turned on and off multiple times. Nobody tried disconnecting the battery though. That probably would have reset the TIPM codes as well.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

God drat.. is this poo poo just to get the freekin car to the dealer? Having to reset the computer before the freekin bulbs work is nuts.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Or how about cadillac requiring you to link up a window switch. Or horn switch. Basically the ultimate way to say f u to DIY repairs.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What are they like Bluetooth or something?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

tater_salad posted:

What are they like Bluetooth or something?

Think how much you'd save on wiring!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Enter the code the headlight cluster is flashing in morse to complete the pairing."

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

"Enter the code the headlight cluster is flashing in morse to complete the pairing."

It's gm so it'll be your brake lights which means you need at least 1 friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

tater_salad posted:

It's gm so it'll be your brake lights which means you need at least 1 friend.

Not sure about other models but my Niva is an utter bastard for this. I can say after having touched most of the vehicle it's designed to be easily user serviceable however it's clearly meant to be quick work for two people. For one it's a nightmare. Adjusting the rear brakes and handbrake with one person? gently caress you. Adjusting the timing. gently caress you and if you don't have the hand crank still good loving luck (I do thankfully). Only a few fairly easy to reach nuts or bolts holding something on? Oh it's spinning? Yeah that's not a captive nut / stud you're dealing with there. Just get your buddy to hold the spanner on the other side. No buddy? gently caress you.

Content.

http://imgur.com/7Lkqj53 Just a fullsize link.

Take a good hard look. To save non Aussie Goons the hassle, It's a Ford Falcon wagon.