Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

IUG posted:

I wish this worked on my computer, but for some reason, it has to be Wifi. I have a Time Capsule that my phone connects to through Wifi, but my laptop has an ethernet cable connection to it. That's no good for Handoff apparently!

There must be something else going on because I'm set up just like that and it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

If I remember right you're on ATT, and both ATT and Verizon have HD voice options. HD voice is actually Voice over LTE, so it's better quality because it's going over the data network (doesn't use your data on either carrier).

It's in settings under cellular, LTE has a "data only" and "data and voice" option. The other way to know it's working is if you are on the phone and it shows LTE, before Voice over LTE ATT would only be able to do H+ while on the phone, LTE would drop off.

HD voice should be fine on ATT. On Verizon if your area doesn't have a solid LTE build out (like mine) you want to avoid it for now because it'll drop the call if you lose LTE connection.

Yes, ATT. It looks like my LTE is indeed set for Voice & Data. Awesome!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

e.pilot posted:

It doesn't switch to a normal phone call if the FaceTime connection drops, it just fully drops the call.

I've actually started using FaceTime voice with everyone I know that has an iPhone, the call quality is just magnificent.
That's good to know, I was reading into it before and there were quite a few people saying using FaceTime caused them to suddenly have huge phone bills for international calls because the FaceTime call "suddenly dropped down into a normal call" which seemed suspect enough but it's good to have confirmation.

Not that it matters because the person I most frequently had to use Skype with just today switched to Android. Skyyyypeeee :argh:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

IUG posted:

I wish this worked on my computer, but for some reason, it has to be Wifi. I have a Time Capsule that my phone connects to through Wifi, but my laptop has an ethernet cable connection to it. That's no good for Handoff apparently!

What model computer do you have? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204689

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have the original Retina Pro, and it works only some of the time. Unless those specs changed after a while, it used to work for my computer for maybe like a week or two.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

This doesn't sound like a wired/wireless division, but a problem with uPNP/SSDP (whatever Apple uses, I haven't checked) which often breaks when using extenders/repeaters, powerline etc. Sometimes the requests are passed through, sometimes they aren't, sometimes you need to enable multicast in your router to enable a workaround.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can I make the dropdown notifications for text messages last longer than they do? I have yet to actually use the quick reply thing that I imagine would be nice because they just disappear too fast

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can I make the dropdown notifications for text messages last longer than they do? I have yet to actually use the quick reply thing that I imagine would be nice because they just disappear too fast

When they pop up, pull it down and it'll stay til you send a message or up-swipe.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Do any Siri commands with work Spotify?

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
"What song is this?" tells you the title and artist of the current song

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's hosed up because I'm like 90% sure it used to tell you what song was currently being heard through the headset like Shazam does

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

It's hosed up because I'm like 90% sure it used to tell you what song was currently being heard through the headset like Shazam does
That's exactly what it still does for me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Also I got a replacement ip6 a month or two ago. I swear I'm on my 3rd cable and I'm not sure if it's just my phone that sucks because I keep getting "this accessory may not be supported" errors. One cable is from Apple and new the rest are lighting certified

I'm going to shuffle cables and adapters around and see what's up. Is this ever an issue with the phone?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Also I got a replacement ip6 a month or two ago. I swear I'm on my 3rd cable and I'm not sure if it's just my phone that sucks because I keep getting "this accessory may not be supported" errors. One cable is from Apple and new the rest are lighting certified

I'm going to shuffle cables and adapters around and see what's up. Is this ever an issue with the phone?

What are you plugging the cables in to?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

An anker adapter that's worked flawlessly for a year and works fine with other poo poo. The others were obviously a bit weathered and failed elsewhere but I'm gonna try the iphone block when I find it

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Is there anyway to get the iPhone 6S to continue playing music/podcasts when I open up the camera? I have live photos turned off and it always opens onto photos, not videos. This is super annoying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Is there anyway to get the iPhone 6S to continue playing music/podcasts when I open up the camera? I have live photos turned off and it always opens onto photos, not videos. This is super annoying.

Turn off Live Photos then. Remember each of those is a video.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Turn off Live Photos then. Remember each of those is a video.

"I have live photos turned off"

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd kill for a music player that doesn't get paused/muted by any other apps. I know it's possible without jailbreaking because Sleep Genius can play through YouTube videos. Wish I knew something about making apps because arrrrrghghgh :rant:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

"I have live photos turned off"

I misread! :(

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

I have some filming to do with my iPhone 6. It's only 16gb and I don't have much free space. I'm afraid my filming will be cut off due to space (it's happened before).

I have 50gb iCloud storage, I'm only using around half of it, but my iPhone still has around 4 gigs of space taken up by Photos & Videos.

Knowing it's all backed up (I checked in Photos on my MBP and everything is synced) how can I force the iPhone to flush everything, and just leave it all in the cloud ? Is there anyway to do this ?

Otherwise, I've deleted all the apps that took up the most space (Overcast, streaming music app) - it's just Photos that's taking lots of room up.

Any help ?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Yossarko posted:

Knowing it's all backed up (I checked in Photos on my MBP and everything is synced) how can I force the iPhone to flush everything, and just leave it all in the cloud ? Is there anyway to do this ?

Nope. It's frustrating as all hell but Apple won't let you "micromanage" your storage like that - the cache will just get purged when it thinks you need the space.

The only real way to get back to a thumbnails-only state with iCloud Photos is to wipe your device and restore from an iCloud backup.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Use OneDrive

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Froist posted:

Nope. It's frustrating as all hell but Apple won't let you "micromanage" your storage like that - the cache will just get purged when it thinks you need the space.

The only real way to get back to a thumbnails-only state with iCloud Photos is to wipe your device and restore from an iCloud backup.

I thought about wiping, but won't that just start re-downloading everything in the background ? Or will everything be thumbnails-only until I click on a photo à la demande ?

I have an iPhone, iPad and MBP with 50gb iCloud - I'm trying to go "all in" to experience the seamless Apple magic. And, aside from local storage, it's awesome. My next iPhone will be 64gb (I thought that with iCloud and only streaming music 16gb would be enough...).

If there's one thing that does suck though, it's not having control over the cache / iCloud local storage :( Wiping your phone to take a video when you have everything backed up is quite frustrating.

Yossarko fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 7, 2015

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Yossarko posted:

I have some filming to do with my iPhone 6. It's only 16gb and I don't have much free space. I'm afraid my filming will be cut off due to space (it's happened before).

I have 50gb iCloud storage, I'm only using around half of it, but my iPhone still has around 4 gigs of space taken up by Photos & Videos.

Otherwise, I've deleted all the apps that took up the most space (Overcast, streaming music app) - it's just Photos that's taking lots of room up.

Any help ?

How long is the shoot? Couldn't you, theoretically, wipe your iPhone without restoring a backup, shoot, back those videos up manually, and then restore the backup once you're done shooting?

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

I have multiple days of "shooting" (it's just for fun) but yeah, that's probably safest.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

16Gb is unlikely to last you "days" even if you could janitor yourself to a bare OS.

You can try any of these expanded storage options -

http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/20/the-best-iphoneipad-usb-flash-drives-with-lightning-connectors/

Please also join in at yelling at people buying 16Gb phones in 2015

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Yossarko posted:

I thought about wiping, but won't that just start re-downloading everything in the background ? Or will everything be thumbnails-only until I click on a photo à la demande ?

I have an iPhone, iPad and MBP with 50gb iCloud - I'm trying to go "all in" to experience the seamless Apple magic. And, aside from local storage, it's awesome. My next iPhone will be 64gb (I thought that with iCloud and only streaming music 16gb would be enough...).

If there's one thing that does suck though, it's not having control over the cache / iCloud local storage :( Wiping your phone to take a video when you have everything backed up is quite frustrating.

I think it should only download the thumbnails and wait until you attempt to open a pic to get the full res version. I've not tried from a fresh install but when I enabled Photo Library on my iPad it only downloaded the thumbnails (which accounted for ~1.5gb from a ~22gb library).

Like you, I went all-in on the Apple system (except I went to 64gb) - it's great how it all works together, but could really do with a "Purge" button.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The only workaround as such is to take a photo from inside iMessage instead.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Khablam posted:

16Gb is unlikely to last you "days" even if you could janitor yourself to a bare OS.

You can try any of these expanded storage options -

http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/20/the-best-iphoneipad-usb-flash-drives-with-lightning-connectors/

Please also join in at yelling at people buying 16Gb phones in 2015

lmao the iphone 6 is big enough without those abominations hanging off the bottom of it

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Yossarko posted:

When it comes to Apple cloud services, there is no magic, only pain and disappointment.

Google photos will do exactly this just fine.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I also hate this and cannot find a way around it.

Beyond that, Podcast just are lovely on my 6S. They stop playing all the loving time. I press the play/pause button on my headphones and nothing happens. I look in the control center thing and it's showing nothing as being the current audio. I have to go back into the podcast app and select the podcast again to start playing it. Seriously loving annoying. Although randomly sometimes when I try to unpause a Podcast it will start playing literally 5+ minutes later and scare me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you considered using a different podcast app? Overcast is free and good. Other than the camera issue, I never have any of those problems with it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Speaking of which is there any good way to export live photos to Google Photos? I occasionally capture a nice gem of a live photo of my kid.

Any good app that can just convert it to a video and let Google slurp it up that way?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered using a different podcast app? Overcast is free and good. Other than the camera issue, I never have any of those problems with it.

Changing over seems daunting. :effort:

Are you on a 6S? I didn't have these problems on my 6...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

6s, yeah. I haven't used the stock app since uuuuuuuhhhh iOS 5?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

This is seriously the most annoying thing I've run in to on the iPhone in a while.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ddogflex posted:

I also hate this and cannot find a way around it.

Beyond that, Podcast just are lovely on my 6S. They stop playing all the loving time. I press the play/pause button on my headphones and nothing happens. I look in the control center thing and it's showing nothing as being the current audio. I have to go back into the podcast app and select the podcast again to start playing it. Seriously loving annoying. Although randomly sometimes when I try to unpause a Podcast it will start playing literally 5+ minutes later and scare me.

Yeah I pulled the trigger and went with Overcast because of this poo poo.

Now iBooks is starting to suck for Audiobooks as well! This stuff was all perfect when it was just in the drat iPod app.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The podcast app is beyond terrible. Often I'm in my car and it'll just freeze up, then only play silence (the time progresses but nothing plays) until I reboot the phone, while any other audio app works fine. Pausing a podcast causes it to lose the bluetooth connection to the car kit and play back through the phone speaker when I resume - again no other audio app has this issue. I have all the (few) podcasts I subscribe to set to auto-download but all it does is badge the app icon until I open it, then sometimes they'll start downloading while others I have to download them manually.

I still won't go near Overcast though because Marco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I think it's dumb to avoid a good free app because of some guy you don't know.