Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Is the Galaxy Tab S2 faster or slower than the Galaxy Tab Pro? I don't understand tablet CPUs, especially when you get to 8 cores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
I'm looking for an android tablet that is half way between a tablet and a laptop, in terms of CPU, RAM and screen size. Also, 3G net net access and a bluetooth keyboard option.

Any chance that any of you are here now, so that I can still use the Black Friday deals?

H.H fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 28, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only thing that remotely fits what you're looking for is that 12" Galaxy thing.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
I have an original iPad Mini that is starting to show its age a bit, and with my Android phone and Chromebook is kinda the odd man out. Would the nvidia shield tablet k1 be considered an upgrade or is there a better option?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Are there any cheap Chinese unknown manufacturer garbage tablets with 8 or 9" screens? I need something just for reading digital comic books since my 2012 Nexus 7 died. I didn't use it for anything except comic books for the last year of its life so that's all I need from a tablet, but a bigger screen would be cool.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 28, 2015

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Are there any cheap Chinese unknown manufacturer garbage tablets with 8 or 9" screens? I need something just for reading digital comic books since my 2012 Nexus 7 died. I didn't use it for anything except comic books for the last year of its life so that's all I need from a tablet, but a bigger screen would be cool.

Nexus 9 is cheap and garbage.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Been out of this thread a long time but this weekend my borderline senior citzen stepfather wants to buy a tablet for mom for Christmas and asked me what to get her.

:shrug:

Must be android (no apple)
9-10"
Budget... <$400?

Moms got a Nexus 5 (I think) for a phone, and she can navigate it pretty well. Would prefer something that isn't saddled with a ton of poo poo/bloatware like my 12.2 Note Pro was and as close to naked android as possible, but I think that might be tough.

Is there anything that isn't Samsung that's worth looking at? Looking at a Samsung Galaxy Tab E 9.6 in. Wi-Fi Tablet at Costco at this moment.

Browsing, the odd photo, facebooking, typical grandma poo poo.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Just an FYI, Amazon has the 16GB Shield, remote, and controller for $150 today (Cyber Monday.)
Never mind - that is for the Shield TV and not the tablet.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My mom is thinking about buying my dad a Fire HD 6 (70 today on Amazon). In her words, "We have that iPad (1st gen) , but it's not been upgraded and he only uses it for playing solitaire. I think he could use it for work, load maps on it and stuff." My dad is semi-retired and "work" involves driving around doing odd jobs like volunteer work and insurance inspections, I don't know about the map part but I'm sure he could find a use for a small tablet even if he is not tech savvy. Worth it at the price point?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

My mom is thinking about buying my dad a Fire HD 6 (70 today on Amazon). In her words, "We have that iPad (1st gen) , but it's not been upgraded and he only uses it for playing solitaire. I think he could use it for work, load maps on it and stuff." My dad is semi-retired and "work" involves driving around doing odd jobs like volunteer work and insurance inspections, I don't know about the map part but I'm sure he could find a use for a small tablet even if he is not tech savvy. Worth it at the price point?

None of the Fire tablets have GPS, so they're a bad idea for your dad

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I was going to skip out on this... until I saw that the Dell Venue 8 7000 was on a Cyber Monday sale on Dell.com for $200. Couldn't pass that up.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was thinking about getting my partner the $50 Amazon Fire 7". She'd mostly be using it to browse/play some games/watch Netflix/use the Chromecast. Is this a good idea for that price, or are there better alternatives?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Montalvo posted:

I was thinking about getting my partner the $50 Amazon Fire 7". She'd mostly be using it to browse/play some games/watch Netflix/use the Chromecast. Is this a good idea for that price, or are there better alternatives?

In order to use the $50 Fire with the Chromecast, you'd need to install the Google Play Store and install apps from there like YouTube, Netflix, etc. as I don't think apps installed from the Amazon app store have Google cast functionality.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh, okay. Is it still possible to use Google's app store on the Fire tablet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pretty sure it's possible, but it takes some finagling.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hmm. Might be worth getting something different then; but I'm finding it hard to beat that price.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Montalvo posted:

Oh, okay. Is it still possible to use Google's app store on the Fire tablet?

It is yeah, I installed it on two Fire tablets. Requires a PC to do so though: http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/installing-google-framework-playstore-t3216122

I ran into a small bump in the process where I needed to install updated drivers in order to get the Fire tablet detected in the batch file command prompt (I think the ones included in the ZIP file are outdated). Once I got the proper drivers installed on my PC, the batch file installed everything necessary to get the Google Play store up and running on the Fire without a hitch. The batch file install also includes the option to get rid of the lock screen ads.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
My mom has asked for my help in finding something that will work in her current situation. She's an artist and wants to transfer her picture to a tablet / laptop / iPod (Yes, she said iPod) so she can view it when she's in her art studio painting. I told her it would probably be best if she just printed out the pictures but she said no. Also, all her pictures are copied and pasted into numerous Word documents.... I'm thinking either getting her a tablet or a cheap laptop and uploading / opening those files in Google Drive?

Budget is around $200 - $300 or so. I wish I jumped on the Nexus 9 when it was $200 but oh well. What do you guys recommend? Should I go for an Android tablet or get one of those cheap Chromebooks? What would work best in this situation. I would prefer to stick with Android OS.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My friend got a 10" Asus from Groupon a while back for her art. She uses it for reference images in the studio so she wanted a fairly big screen. She also brings it to shows and loads up a slide show. As far as I know it's still working for her for that purpose.

She was shooting for under $200 and she was mostly researching tablets looking for a decent screen and expandable storage so she could load up a bunch of stuff at once. At lot of other features just weren't important.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

GoodBee posted:

My friend got a 10" Asus from Groupon a while back for her art. She uses it for reference images in the studio so she wanted a fairly big screen. She also brings it to shows and loads up a slide show. As far as I know it's still working for her for that purpose.

She was shooting for under $200 and she was mostly researching tablets looking for a decent screen and expandable storage so she could load up a bunch of stuff at once. At lot of other features just weren't important.

That's a good point on expandable storage. Will probably be easier for my mom if she can just drag and drop things to a SD card rather then messing around with Google Drive.

edit: Decided to go with the LG V700 on Amazon - only $169.99

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 4, 2015

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

That's a good point on expandable storage. Will probably be easier for my mom if she can just drag and drop things to a SD card rather then messing around with Google Drive.

edit: Decided to go with the LG V700 on Amazon - only $169.99

You might want to also grab her some sort of screen protector (for being near paint) and see if you can find her a case that can be set in both landscape and portrait. Most cases I've seen are landscape only (I haven't really looked) and it's a little annoying to have you portrait references really small in landscape. A separate stand would work too.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I would like to buy a tablet come Christmas; up until now I made do with an Ipad, the very first version, that is stuck on IOs 5.something and cannot be adjourned any further. There are very few apps that work for it right now that I can see.

Do I run risk of this new model I intend to buy becoming outdated and having no downloadable apps as well? Is this just a part of the cruel world of portable tablets?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

paradoxGentleman posted:

I would like to buy a tablet come Christmas; up until now I made do with an Ipad, the very first version, that is stuck on IOs 5.something and cannot be adjourned any further. There are very few apps that work for it right now that I can see.

Do I run risk of this new model I intend to buy becoming outdated and having no downloadable apps as well? Is this just a part of the cruel world of portable tablets?

Yes, at some point the new model you buy will become outdated.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Athenry posted:

Yes, at some point the new model you buy will become outdated.

Right, but the original iPad became horribly outdated a lot quicker than the current ones will.

If anyone is worried about longevity, both the Mini 4 and iPad Air 2 will hold their own for years down the road.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

What mostly worries me is this: I had to wipe out ny Ipad's memory at one point and then was unable to re-download the apps because they had moved on to IOS 6 and beyond. Is this something that is likely to happen?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

paradoxGentleman posted:

What mostly worries me is this: I had to wipe out ny Ipad's memory at one point and then was unable to re-download the apps because they had moved on to IOS 6 and beyond. Is this something that is likely to happen?

iPad 2 is still being supported until next fall (it won't get iOS 10), and that has been around since Spring 2011 - so expect roughly 4 or 5 years of support from the launch date with Apple products

In comparison, Windows 10 tablets are being supported for 10 years, and official android devices by Nexus or Samsung are supported for 1 or 2

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

GoodBee posted:

You might want to also grab her some sort of screen protector (for being near paint) and see if you can find her a case that can be set in both landscape and portrait. Most cases I've seen are landscape only (I haven't really looked) and it's a little annoying to have you portrait references really small in landscape. A separate stand would work too.

Good call on the landscape / portrait case - found one that has that exact feature on Amazon with great reviews. Why do you suggest a screen protector though? Paint on the screen or the screen protector could just easily be cleaned off?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

Good call on the landscape / portrait case - found one that has that exact feature on Amazon with great reviews. Why do you suggest a screen protector though? Paint on the screen or the screen protector could just easily be cleaned off?

If it's just paint, it shouldn't be a problem. My friend works with different media that she was worried would mess up the screen. Maybe the screen protector is unnecessary and just made her feel better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

Yes, it will eventually happen. No, it won't happen as quickly as an original iPad.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I am looking for a tablet that will primarily be used to watch movies and TV shows. I also have a toddler in the house. What's out there that is known for being robust, or is this a case where I get most anything and buy a robust case?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Grifter posted:

I am looking for a tablet that will primarily be used to watch movies and TV shows. I also have a toddler in the house. What's out there that is known for being robust, or is this a case where I get most anything and buy a robust case?

Are you expecting your toddler to chuck the tablet across the room?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Hopefully not that intense, but I know she will gain access to it now then. She's not a big chucker, but I do expect it to get dropped, possibly swung against things, etc.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

In the end I picked up an asus zenpad s (z580c) which has a really nice 8" screen and is basically the same form factor as an iPad mini but cost me £100 less and takes micro sdxc cards so I can fill it with 128gb of poo poo. Much higher resolution screen than the other 8" android tablets I looked at.

Anyone looking for a tablet around that size would do well try for that one, there's a revised model that just launched/is launching (z580ca) which has a slightly faster CPU and usb type c support so this one seems to be priced to clear out from most places.

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
So I'd like to get a new tablet for my dad. He currently has a second gen ipad, but has been complaining that he has trouble reading with it (issues with eyesight). I considered an ipad pro but he doesn't want it. Can anyone recommend a large tablet that would help with the hard of seeing?

Thanks.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Microsoft Surface with high dpi settings would be my first guess.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I am looking for a tablet that I can use for...well, basically videos, programming and gaming. I guess I have to stick with a windows surface, right? I can't imagine an Android will offer the form of customization I want.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Daimo posted:

Microsoft Surface with high dpi settings would be my first guess.

For this it seems not a good idea:
It's a pain with desktop Apps since 90 % don't work with HDPI and give you either tiny fonts or shittily scaled ones. Browsing I need to set the minimum font to 14 to comfortably read websites on my SP4. The few Modern UI Apps do work great, but many lack font settings, often resulting in small fonts, because many lack compared to their Android/iOS counterparts period. Really, is it so hard to implement pull-to-refresh for example?

Michaellaneous posted:

I am looking for a tablet that I can use for...well, basically videos, programming and gaming. I guess I have to stick with a windows surface, right? I can't imagine an Android will offer the form of customization I want.

Yeah, for this it's tailor-made. Just be ready to use it mainly as laptop that's occasionally a powerful, a bit heavy and temperamental tablet with few tablet optimized Apps. Forget trying Steam games with the touchscreen for example, the mouse controls simply don't work that way. I really like mine, but not quite for the reasons I originally bought it for.

Decius fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 7, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I want a relatively cheap, nicely portable roughly 8" tablet with a stylus to doodle things on in OneNote and also to be a general tablet otherwise, what're my best bets at this moment. Storage isn't a huge concern.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 8, 2015

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

MikeJF posted:

If I want a relatively cheap, nicely portable roughly 8" tablet with a stylus to doodle things on in OneNote and also to be a general tablet otherwise, what're my best bets at this moment. Storage isn't a huge concern.

Nvidia Shield K1 + separate stylus.

Anyone who doesn't want an Ipad should start here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Daimo posted:

Nvidia Shield K1 + separate stylus.

Anyone who doesn't want an Ipad should start here.

Fantastic tablet, but I very much doubt even their special passive stylus tech is anything like a replacement for a digitiser stylus.