Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Junkers G.38 was a pretty interesting plane - as close as Hugo Junkers got to a flying wing design. Junkers had always dreamed of making one. (Imagine if he and Jack Northrop ever met and started drinking together.) Also, the G.38 had passenger accommodations in the wings, and the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

I don't know a whole lot about planes, but I love this thread. I sometimes come across plane stuff at work, so here's some pics. Telephone camera quality sadly.

Some nazi airliner? Fromt he opening of a Danish airfield in the 30s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_200_Condor

Later used as a transport and maritime patrol bomber.

e:f,b

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

someone did a fascinating writeup on the Fw200 earlier this year. I think is was Powercube?

My google-fu is weak so no link.

e1 : I am moron! Links are right here and here in the OP.

e2 : never forget :911:

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 4, 2015

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

buttcrackmenace posted:

someone did a fascinating writeup on the Fw200 earlier this year. I think is was Powercube?

It's actually in the OP, and it's our good friend Neb! Part 1 Part 2

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

buttcrackmenace posted:

God you spend so much time and care meticulously curating the OP and this is the thanks you get :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Linedance posted:

God you spend so much time and care meticulously curating the OP and this is the thanks you get :v:

yeah Neb's a pretty great poster

:v:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Psion posted:

yeah Neb's a pretty great poster

:v:

:v::hf::)

Today I was doing a little reading for the next airship post, and I came across one or two weird aircraft I've never heard of before. BEHOLD:

The DH 91 Albatross. It is very Condor-like.

It was made in the late 1930s for trans-Atlantic mail service. It also uses the wood and glue construction that the DH Mosquito would use.

It was also p. good looking

Unfortunately the species didn't have a long run: only 7 were made, WW2 intervened, and no air frame survived the war.

If you want a youtube of still images of the albatross and some old-timey music, here you go.

Also one broke like a Fw 200!

I was just looking in books trying to get a sense of Trans-Atlantic flights, and when they became regular. While regularly scheduled trans-Pacific flights were being done by Pan Am in 1935, trans-Atlantic flights were held up by political dickery (Pan Am probably could have started in 1935, but the British, French and Spanish wanted to get their own national airlines flying trans-Atlantic routes first) and it was only in 1939 that scheduled Pan Am flights started. There was a experimental Imperial airways line to Canada, and a mail service, but that is it, save the Zeppelin airliners. ( Well, there was this composite airliner.) And even then, the Boeing 314s Pan Am flew were not faster than what a airship would have been. The flight to New York was From Southampton, some place in Ireland, Botwood, Newfoundland, Maine, and then New York City. It took two days; the R100 (spoiler alert) did it in three.

From Charles Lindbergh's flight in 1927, there were many more flights to cross the Atlantic, but a surprising number of them ended up crashing in Labrador or just vanishing. I'm probably going to make this point again in my effortpost, but you can kinda see why people were all gung-ho about airships for oceanic flights in the '20s and '30s. While airplanes were still very chancy, airships could fly the route reliably.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 5, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Nebakenezzer posted:

Today I was doing a little reading for the next airship post, and I came across one or two weird aircraft I've never heard of before. BEHOLD:

The DH 91 Albatross. It is very Condor-like.

God drat that is one sexy plane :swoon: And this is coming from someone who leans more towards the modern and not vintage designs.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So here's a question, is this cartoon plane based on any real aircraft or is it just something made-up?

The show is specifically set in 1938, if that helps.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Enourmo posted:

So here's a question, is this cartoon plane based on any real aircraft or is it just something made-up?

I couldn’t find a match on Wikipedia’s list of WWII German aircraft or list of seaplanes.

e: See also this list

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 5, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah I dug through those a while back, just wondering if there was something not on those lists.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It looks kinda like it's modeled off a Catalina. Or the L-16 Sea Duck.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If we’re doing lookalikes, the best I can do is the Short Sunderland:

Too many engines, not boxy enough, but the broad strokes are there.

The bow protrusion on that cartoon plane is distinctive and doesn’t match any of the period planes I looked at. I wonder where it came from.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Platystemon posted:

If we’re doing lookalikes, the best I can do is the Short Sunderland:

Too many engines, not boxy enough, but the broad strokes are there.

The bow protrusion on that cartoon plane is distinctive and doesn’t match any of the period planes I looked at. I wonder where it came from.

Nose looks like a Coronado, but the tail is very Boeing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Enourmo posted:

I'm pretty sure it is just a hodge-podge of design cues. It has a boxy rectangular hull like a BnV 222 or a BnV 238 - and the squared off nose looks very BnV 238 to me. But the number of engines, tail, etc are completely different.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It also pops a single autocannon out of the nose, which I don't think was a common feature.

Thanks for the replies, guess it's just a made-up fantasy plane that fit plot needs.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Enourmo posted:

It also pops a single autocannon out of the nose, which I don't think was a common feature.

Thanks for the replies, guess it's just a made-up fantasy plane that fit plot needs.

Is that the one from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? If so, yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just a made up mish-mash created to fill in the plot.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
How does the oiling system of inverted engines (e.g. the DB601 in the Bf109, but such things were fairly common) work? Like a regular engine but with the valve covers as the sumps, or magic?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 5, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

How does the oiling system of inverted engines (e.g. the DB601 in the Bf109, but such things were fairly common) work? Like a regular engine but with the valve covers as the sumps, or magic?

Very simply, in tune with my simple understanding of it, external sump with hoses top and bottom, gravity driven check valves change the hoses from air vent hoses to oil supply hoses as needed.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Pretty much what Ola said.

On the DB601, oil was stored in an external sump, pumped various parts of the engine, then collected via scavenging pumps built into the camshaft cases for return to the oil tank.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Most large piston engines are dry sump, meaning that a scavenge pump evacuates the lowest point in the engine, and returns the oil to an oil supply tank, which the engine oil pump feeds from to provide engine oil pressure, instead of feeding directly from the sump. Additional scavenge pumps or scavenge pump stages (a separate feed and output pump, operating off the same input shaft,) can be added around the engine to prevent oil starvation in different orientations, I.E.: inverted flight.

The DB600/601/605 in particular uses a pair of scavenge pumps, I would imagine one feeding from the area of each valve cover. All radial engines are dry sump, since the lowest point in the engine is a cylinder, and not an oil pan. Even with the oil stored in a check-valved tank, radials are vulnerable to hydraulic lock if your try to crank them over after a long period without operation, since oil will leak down into the bottom cylinder(s).

Modern non-aerobatic boxer engines (O-360, O-540, O-320, etc,) are almost all wet sump engines, more like a car engine, with an oil pump pickup directly submerged in the oil sump at the bottom of the engine.

:spergin:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
For shadetree builders/mechanics, there's the Wittman V8 conversion which is a direct drive, inverted Oldsmobile V8 conversion that plumbs the valve covers to the oil sump:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Nebakenezzer posted:

:v::hf::)

Also one broke like a Fw 200!

My dad, the Moth Driver, says this was up and flying again two days later. There are certain advantages to building out of balsa and plywood.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Spaced God posted:

It's actually in the OP, and it's our good friend Neb! Part 1 Part 2

Thanks everyone! Going to enjoy reading this!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
What, what is this thing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conroy_Virtus

Why did this not happen?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Flikken posted:

Why did this not happen?

If the Space Shuttle had been launched in the 1950s, something like that probably would have been built. I always thought it would be cool to have a fairly light "clip on" solution that extended the wings enough to generate lift, with two engines and fuel tanks, and then just fly the thing from the cockpit of the shuttle. Avionics and flight controls would have complicated the orbiter design, and the whole thing would require more computing power than we had in the 70s and 80s. I'm thinking something like the engine test aircraft where you can switch to different modes to emulate different flight capabilities.

Still a kid can dream...

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Flikken posted:

Why did this not happen?

Aerospacelines/Conroy were also a tiny companies, kind of amazing they got as much done as they did, considering the general shoe-stringy-ness of their entire operation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero_Spacelines

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Flikken posted:

Why did this not happen?

Scaled Composites is working on something like that, Stratolaunch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaled_Composites_Stratolaunch

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ehnus posted:

Scaled Composites is working on something like that, Stratolaunch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaled_Composites_Stratolaunch

Oh, and Virgin Galactic is re-purposing a 747-400 to be used as a mothership for a space-rocket.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011
Apparently the british found a falcon 9 in its natural habitat!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-34942185

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
"All the geeks got together" and decided it was a different mission even though the loving Falcon 9 logo is right there.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
c'mon, people

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Godholio posted:

"All the geeks got together" and decided it was a different mission even though the loving Falcon 9 logo is right there.

They're not saying it isn't a Falcon 9 rocket, they're saying it's not the Falcon 9 rocket that blew up.

E: Think "Atlas V" not "Apollo 13"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

pro tier

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
E: wrong thread.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Colonial Air Force posted:

They're not saying it isn't a Falcon 9 rocket, they're saying it's not the Falcon 9 rocket that blew up.

E: Think "Atlas V" not "Apollo 13"

Touche'.

Edit:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 7, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

"F-16 pilot was ready to give her life on Sept. 11"