Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Susan and I dunno, random my other 2 votes. (or ignore them if it's an hassle, no worries)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Fang is the only one i care about tbh since the Shogun is a lock.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Fang and Dr. Fetus's choice x2

It feels like forever since that kid has seen some action

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

Argent Cinereus posted:

Fang, Alice, Charlotte

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Alice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fang, Alice, Akatsuki

Wargly
Aug 16, 2013
fang, charlotte, MEGAQUEEN

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Charlotte, Fang, you pick

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

Fang, Alice, Akatsuki

this

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Fang, Alice, Susan

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Fetus' Choice X3

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.
charlotte, and MEGAQUEEN

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Charlotte, Asteria, Cassandra

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Faye, Asteria, Charlotte

Dr. Fetus posted:

Geez, maybe I should have just hardlocked the new person. :v: There are barely any votes for the others at all!

Probably. v:shobon:v

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Fang, Charlotte, Susan

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well, doesn't look like anymore votes are coming in so VOTING IS CLOSED! Final results:

Charlotte: 31
Fang: 15
Susan: 12
Rose: 9
Scott: 8
Asteria: 8

Alice: 7
Akatsuki: 5
Sidney: 5
Cassandra: 5
Faye: 5

My Choice: 8

So it looks like there's a tie for 5th. I'll break it by choosing Scott over Asteria. Because at this point in the game, I'd rather have physical damage instead of elemental.

So the final party will be Charlotte, Rose, Scott, MEGAQUEEN, and Fang! Because what is overkill?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

McDragon posted:

I always feel they messed up Class unlocking because you have to start with a new character, which basically requires grinding. It really seems to discourage using them. Or it does for me anyway. I have no idea how they'd fix it though. Maybe throw you a one-off level boost when you unlock them or something? Or maybe give all new characters an optional level boost depending on which Floor/Stratum you reach. Something like that might be nice for trying new things.

Decrease the amount of experience needed to reach say, level 40 for all classes when you get to the point that the secret class is given to you. You still have to grind, sure, but the difference from 17 King Penguin kills vs, a single Pasaran getting a new crew member to level 15 is a huge boost.

Anyway, do Pasarans count like normal FOEs that you have to wait a week for?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Decrease the amount of experience needed to reach say, level 40 for all classes when you get to the point that the secret class is given to you. You still have to grind, sure, but the difference from 17 King Penguin kills vs, a single Pasaran getting a new crew member to level 15 is a huge boost.

Anyway, do Pasarans count like normal FOEs that you have to wait a week for?

Pasarans actually have a respawn time of 14 days. Same as bosses and Red FOEs. Also they're not really a reliable way of grinding until the post-game. Sea Quest exploits are far faster and give more exp than a Pasaran would at this point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Pasarans actually have a respawn time of 14 days. Same as bosses and Red FOEs. Also they're not really a reliable way of grinding until the post-game. Sea Quest exploits are far faster and give more exp than a Pasaran would at this point.

Yeah, true but I've never really gone and hunted them so it's mostly for compendium reasons.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 48: Retirement

What do you mean you're leaving!?

It's exactly what it sounds like. I'm sick of all this Labyrinth stuff. So, I'm retiring!

This is gonna be a short update, as I'm just covering a mechanic here. Retirement is something you can do at a guild once one of your characters reaches level 30.

I'll demonstrate this with Faye, as she's level 41.

But I just arrived here!

Are you seriously abandoning your guild!? This whole Labyrinth exploration thing was your idea in the first place!

Eh, I got sick of it. And don't worry, I won't leave you guys helpless. I brought in a replacement!

...You what?

Now what retirement does is that it deletes your character and any equipment they're wearing, so be sure to take your equipment off of them! And no, you aren't warned about that for some reason, even though the 2nd game did that.

The game will ask you if you're sure about this. Once you say yes again, there's no going back.

So what retirement is in story terms is that your characters were training an apprentice to take their place for when they retired.

And you can name your apprentice whatever they want. (Or give them the same name to pretend that you're using the same character.)

And give them whatever class and portrait you want. The stats of the apprentice will be shown on the top screen.

Say hi... to Faye Jr.!

What the-!? Hey! Let me go!

Now the apprentice's level will be at half of the retiree's level (Unlike most formulas in EO3, this is actually rounded up.) Their level can be at a minimum of 15 or a maximum of 30. If your character is level 59 or above when they retire, the apprentice will always come in at level 30.

What's going on here!?

Okay, have fun with your new leader! I'm off to new places! Hmm, maybe Tharsis would be a good vacation spot.

I don't understand what just happened.

I don't either.

Now the apprentice will come with boosted stats. As you can see, Faye Jr.'s stats, including HP and TP, are higher than Faye's stats by 2 points at level 21. So there is a point to this. The higher the retiree's level is, the bigger the stat boosts the apprentice has. Oh, and if you used up any books on the retiree, they'll carry over to the apprentice, so don't worry about that.

Um... You know that my name's not actually Faye Jr., right?

Yeah, we kinda figured.

Oh and the apprentice also has more skill points to work with. Like with stats, the higher the retiree's level is, the more skill points the apprentice gains.

So uh, can I just leave? I... don't really know how to lead a guild, or fight or all that stuff. I was just trying to get a quick meal at the Butterfly Bistro for crying out loud!

Yes, you may leave.

Okay, thanks. Geez. What a crazy morning.

Sooo... Now what?

Keep exploring? Or disband, I guess?

Oh, Faye. Why did you have to leave us? Of all the stupid, irresponsible things you could have done, this has to be one of the worst ones!

What the heck are you yelling about!? I'm right here!

Huh!?

Geez, you woke up the whole inn with your sleep yelling. What were you dreaming about? :morning:

Oh, well...

Of course I probably won't actually make use of retirement in this game. I find it to be not that worth it. In fact I don't recommend retiring as soon as possible. Simply because this game is not that grind friendly, and the bonuses it gives isn't that much. The stat and skill point bonuses for retiring at certain levels are as follows.

Level 30-39: +1 to all stats, +4 skill points
Level 40-49: +2 to all stats, +5 skill points
Level 50-59: +3 to all stats, +6 skill points
Level 60-69: +4 to all stats, +7 skill points
Level 70-98: +5 to all stats, +8 skill points
Level 99: +10 to all stats, +10 skill points

Yeah, retiring as early as possible only gets you a 1 point boost to every stat. Yay. :geno: While you do get a skill point bonus, the difficulty of grinding in this game makes it kind of not worth it. Now I would say it's worth it if you just unlocked a new class and want to put them on your team. Just throw out one of the party members you don't intend to use anymore, and then bring in an apprentice from one of the new classes you unlocked so they won't start at level 1. Oh and retiring at 99 is when I would also consider retiring to be worth it because the post-game final boss is a steaming pile of bull- whoops, getting ahead of myself there. But retiring at 99 does give you more significant bonuses than if you retired at an earlier level. However, it's not necessary at all to complete the game, so don't worry about it if you don't want to. Besides, the stat boosts from retirement are kind of pointless thanks to books. The only reason to retire is if you want the skill point bonus it gives you. However, retirement bonuses do not stack. They take into account the last time you retired. If you retire at level 70, and then retire again at level 50, your character would only get the bonuses from when they retired at level 50, so there's no reason to retire a character more than once.

Geez, that's what you were having a nightmare about? Ha, I didn't think you cared about me that much. Relax, Cassie. I ain't leaving the guild anytime soon. Get some sleep, it's like 3 in the morning. Sheesh.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

And my EO2 LP finally made it onto the archives. Took like what, 8 years for an EO game to pop up on there? Hopefully the other EO LPs during Etrian Odyssey Appreciation Season can also make it on there. m4444 is covering EO1, Tyty is covering EO4, and Ragnar Homsar is covering EO2U. (Also added those links to the OP.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It was easy to pretend that retiring a character and making them again wasn't really retiring them.

Until EO2U had my retired units with the same names show up for trading.

Alright! I can show this to people now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It was easy to pretend that retiring a character and making them again wasn't really retiring them.

Until EO2U had my retired units with the same names show up for trading.

Alright! I can show this to people now.

I'm entering the third stratum of EOIII right now and I'm already planning to retire only once: After I beat the game. The reason? Well, the old guard is done with this poo poo and leaves the post-game bullshit to a new generation. :v:

Also I'm so glad now I skilled my Hoplite into anti-fire. :shepface:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 2, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 49: Wrong Way

So this is what explorers have to go through...

May I ask why these animals are following us?

They're my friends! :buddy:

Don't mind them. They're actually pretty helpful from time to time.

This was the team that was voted in. Unsurprisingly, everyone wanted to see our newcomer in action. So let's just jump into things.

DS Version

The nighttime splash screen for the 4th Stratum.

And right away, we get into a fight.

DS Version

Ah, an excellent opportunity to refresh my skills!

Swordfish
HP: 358
TP: 131
STR: 36
VIT: 28
AGI: 33
LUC: 29
TEC: 36
Attack Type: Slash
Exp: 1506
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Swordfish Skin - 50% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Evil Sea Boots (Boots.) 2 needed for Harvest Scythe (Sword.) 3 needed for Hide Armor (Light Armor.) and Dirk (Dagger.)
--A set of fully bristled scales.
-Drop 2: Swordfish Fin - 5% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Lightning Book (Book.) 5 needed for Bolt Warhammer (Mace.)
--Soft fin on a swordfish’s belly that feels like silk.
-Gold: N/A
Description: A type of flying fish with sword-like fins all over its slim, slippery body.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 50% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 100% Ice: 50% Volt: 200%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 100% Poison: 100% Blind: 100% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 100%
Bind Resistances: Head: 122% Arm: 122% Leg: 122%
Other Resistances: Death: 100% Petrification: 100% Stun: 100%

Skills:

Gale Blade: Uses the Arms. Deals 130% Slash damage to a single target. Has an action speed of +10.

Swordfishes can kind of be a pain to deal with if you don't have any fast characters in your party. For the most part, they're kind of unremarkable aside from their resistance to Slash attacks (which can be a pain to deal with if that's your party's main form of damage, like mine.) But Gale Blade is something to watch out for. The action speed bonus it has gives the Swordfish the ability to pick off any low HP characters, so make sure to keep your HP topped off, or to have a fast character on the team.

Anyways, let's see our newcomer in action. Now I want you to pay close attention to her Limit gauge.

As well as Susan's.

Come here!

Time to strike!

Don't forget my right hand!

And this is Second Sword in action. Since Charlotte is dual wielding, she gets to attack twice when using a regular attack. Her second attack is done with her offhand, so it's weaker than her initial one. Since the offhand attack deals 20% damage at level 1, her regular attack essentially deals 120% damage, which isn't great but the damage isn't what I'm concerned about.

Now look at Charlotte's Limit gauge. It's almost fully charged.

Meanwhile, Susan's Limit gauge hasn't increased as much. This is thanks to Second Sword, which increases Charlotte's Limit with each attack she makes, so Charlotte can fully charge her Limit gauge in 3 turns at most, and 1 turn if I get really lucky. You can be sure that I will be taking full advantage of this.

Ah, here we go!

I strike again!

Fall.

Swashbuckling gives Charlotte a chance to attack again with a regular attack. With, Swashbuckling, Second Sword, and Katana Mastery all at level 10, Charlotte could theoretically deal up to 935% damage to a single target. But there's a miniscule chance of that happening (Like way less than 1%), so don't rely on Swashbuckling for damage.

Oh right, my other hand.

Once a target dies, Swashbuckling hits won't transfer over to any other enemy (Well there is an exception to that.) However, a Second Sword attack will target a random enemy if the initial target dies, and Swashbuckling can proc for the Shogun's offhand too, essentially giving you dice more rolls to work with.

However, that didn't happen in this fight.

Erm, what is that?

Oh, I remember! That's one of those Deep One things we saw in the 3rd Stratum!

Ah. So that is what our enemy looks like.

Why is there a fixture of one here? I thought this shrine used to be in Armoroad before it sunk.

I guess the Deep Ones remodeled when they took over.

Well, it has been 100 years since then. Oh, hello. What's this?

I don't think that did anything.

Huh. Wonder what that was about.

Aplysiomorpha
HP: 465
TP: 132
STR: 33
VIT: 37
AGI: 27
LUC: 30
Attack Type: Pierce
Exp: 1487
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Staunch Feeler - 55% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Gilet (Clothes.) 10 needed for Frost Amulet (Accessory.)
--Soft feeler that nonetheless never breaks.
-Drop 2: Trileaf Stalk - 20% Drop Rate. See 3rd Stratum Chop Point info for more details.
Description: This native of the undersea shrine emits a chill that freezes the feet of unwary passersby.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 150% Ice: 50% Volt: 100%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 50% Plague: 122% Poison: 122% Blind: 50% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 100%
Bind Resistances: Head: 100% Arm: 100% Leg: 100%
Other Resistances: Death: 100% Petrification: 100% Stun: 100%

Skills:

Frost Lap: Uses the Head. An Ice attack that deals 20% damage to the entire party and has a 30% chance to bind their legs.

There isn't really much to Aplysiomorphas. Not yet at least. They deal an incredibly minor amount of Ice damage and can bind your party's legs. They don't really have much in common with Starry Slugs, even though they're a palette swap of them. Though an interesting little detail, they can actually be hit with Blind, because unlike Starry Slugs, they have an eye. Though it's a bit hard to see on the sprite.

Ngh! My feet!

You can't restrain me forever! :argh:

Oh hey, this again. At least I don't have to worry about a giant whale spouting water at me this time.

Now I turned on auto battle here. How it functions is that your characters will just do regular attacks on random targets, though they usually target the enemies with the lowest amount of HP when they attack. This actually causes a minor little glitch with some of Charlotte's abilities.

As you can see, Charlotte attacked the first Aplysiomorpha here.

But the Swashbuckling proc actually went after a different target instead, even though it's supposed to go after the same target until its dead. The same applies to a Second Sword attack. It has a chance to attack a different target even if the original target is still alive when auto battle is active.

Nothing interesting happened in that fight. Some of these enemies just aren't that threatening. By themselves anyway.

DS Version

I realized I had no Limits equipped on anyone, so I rectified that. Charlotte has the ability to fully charge her Limit gauge in 1 to 3 turns if she uses a regular attack. Guess which one I put on her?

The ability to take no damage whatsoever! :getin: Okay I'm not supposed to have this thing by now, but whatever. I don't have a Hoplite, so I want this to deal with a specific enemy.

There's a metal gate up ahead.

There's another one here too! I wonder what they're for.

What's the big deal? Just walk through them.

A metal clanging sound plays here.

What was that!?

Hmm. It shut just as we walked through it.

Uh, I think we might be in trouble!

The other gate shut too!

I'll mark these gate tiles in yellow.

There's no way out!

Shoot. What are we gonna do?

Calm down. We have an Ariadne Thread. If there's truly no way out, we can use that. ...Ah, but I don't think we'll need to.

So that's what they do.

Hmm. Could you all stay in here for a moment? I wish to test something.

Still open...

Huh. Looks like those gates close if we go through them from a certain direction.

And here's the main gimmick for this Stratum. There are gates that close when you walk through them in a specific direction. Those Deep One statues are switches that will open those gates.

I'll also mark the gate tiles with arrows, to show you which direction will close them.

And up ahead is an FOE we can't fight.

Ha! Look at that beast, just locked in its cage!

It's really trying to get at us, huh?

I shudder to think about what would happen if that gate was open.

Pfft, if it's like all those other FOEs in this Labyrinth, it's probably a chump.

DS Version

Oh screw these things!

Big Snakehead
HP: 844
TP: 135
STR: 40
VIT: 42
AGI: 26
LUC: 31
TEC: 45
Exp: 3282
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Hard Skull - 75% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Tuck (Rapier.) 5 needed for Bolt Warhammer (Mace.)
--Wouldn’t shatter even if a cannonball struck it.
-Drop 2: N/A
-Gold: Dull Chest Fin - Kill with Curse damage. 100% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Field Armor (Heavy Armor.)
--Though hard as steel, it yields excellent mobility.
Description: Known as a living fossil, it stores electricity in its pectoral fin to jolt anything that touches it.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 100% Ice: 100% Volt: 100%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 100% Poison: 100% Blind: 100% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 50%
Bind Resistances: Head: 100% Arm: 100% Leg: 100%
Other Resistances: Death: 25% Petrification: 122% Stun: 100%

Skills:

Torpedo: Uses the Arms. Deals 100% Volt damage to a row.

I hate these enemies so much. They're the reason I recommend leveling up Antivolt on your Hoplite if you have one, as that skill makes dealing with these fish much easier. Torpedo is an incredibly powerful row target move that will pretty much deal a massive amount of damage to a row or outright kill them. These things are pretty much the strongest enemy in the Stratum. And they sic them on you on the first floor. It does have a few weaknesses you can take advantage of. While Instant Death isn't effective on it, Petrification is, so if you have someone who knows Izuna, you can just one shot them easily. Most ailments can also lock it down. Head and arm binds are especially effective. Head binds will halve the Big Snakehead's TEC stat, which means that Torpedo's damage will be lowered to pathetic levels. Arm binds will flat out stop it from using Torpedo, and cripple the damage output of its regular attacks.

Oh and there's one more thing I want to bring your attention to. Its conditional drop. Take a closer look at what I put there. That's not kill while Cursed. No, that would be too easy. Instead, what the game wants you to do is inflict Curse on it, and have it kill itself through the Curse damage. It's pretty much the worst conditional drop to fulfill when it pops up in any EO game. And this isn't the only enemy that forces you to pull that feat off. Though admittedly, it's kind of easy to do at this point. Whittle its health down a bit, inflict Curse, and then if it casts Torpedo, you pretty much snagged the drop. Unfortunately the other Curse damage conditionals in this game won't be as easy to get. And it gets harder to pull off as your party gets stronger.

I can't believe that didn't work!

Unfortunately, Scott failed to head bind it.

Well this is gonna hurt.

:supaburn:

I... I won't fall that easily!

Oh, and there's Endure kicking in. It only activates once per battle, and will leave the character at 1 HP. So even if it activates, it's not guaranteed to save the party member. Though it's still nice when it activates.

And like I said, Torpedo hits hard. I'm actually a bit overleveled for this Stratum. If I was at the intended level, my entire front row would have died.

Give it a big hug!

And I can't use Fang as a reliable way to disable it, because his AGI is really low, and his summon skills have a huge action speed penalty.

Fortunately, I managed to take it down on the next turn with no mishaps. But yeah, you need to be careful around those things.

DS Version

A5 Chop Point:
Deathly Stem: 50% Gather Rate. 1 needed for Steel Gun (Gun) and Naien (Crossbow.) 5 needed for Firm Book (Book.)
-Thin, gray stalk that gives the impression of death.
Crystal Vine: 50% Gather Rate. 1 needed for Colichemarde (Rapier.)
-Crystallized vine of a plant.
Siamese Senna: Rare. 1 needed for Blind Seal (Accessory) and Leg Eater (Gun.) 2 needed for Katzbalger (Sword.) 5 needed for Dardanelles Gun (Crossbow.)
-Dense timber similar enough to iron to be used for swords.
Common Gather Periods: 2 to 12.
Rare Gather Periods: 1 to 4.

Is that wind I hear?

It could be coming from a path or something. Like a secret passage!

The draft may emanate from a secret path. You wonder where such a path could lead...

This is actually a class specific event. Also if you've been paying attention to the map, you'd know that the secret passage flavor text is complete nonsense and just a bait. If you say no:

Eh, screw it. If there really is one, we'll find it later.

The phrase "more haste, less speed" comes to mind. You decide to continue your explorations.

Now if you have a Wildling, interesting things will happen. If you don't have a Wildling in the party:

You decide to split up and hunt for any secret paths nearby.

DS Version

Oddly, the sound seems to be increasing in volume... It’s as if it’s approaching you! When the sound appears to come from directly behind you, you anxiously spin around!

You have got to be kidding me!

Only then do you see the ominous, enormous snake hissing at you, its tongue flickering menacingly!

And then you get blindsided by two very strong enemies. However, we do have a Wildling, so let's see what happens in that case.

You are about to begin your search when the wildling Fang sharply stops you.

Psst. That's not the sound of wind. That's the sound of a snake hissing!

Are you suuuuuuOOHHhhh my.

Oh. My mistake, then. Hmm, they don't seem to be aware of our presence...

According to Fang, the sound is not a draft of wind, but the hissing of a large snake! Your initial impulse is to flee, but it occurs to you that you may be able to catch it unawares... The choice is yours whether to attack the large snake or conserve your energy and hurry hence.

No:

I don't think we should risk it.

You conclude there is no need to put yourselves in unnecessary danger and leave the area.

Yes:

You draw your weapons and attack the area where Fang points!

Engaging!

DS Version

Yeah if you didn't have a Wildling, you would have gotten blindsided by these things. :argh: The Silverback is an enemy from the next floor, and I'll talk more about it when we encounter it properly. Because...

DIE! JUST DIE!

Whenever Bloody Lance activates, you'll see that bit of flavor text pop up.

BLOODLUST!

I don't think you should be encouraging her.

Oh and the damage bonus from Bloody Lance stacks just fine with buffs.

WHERE'S THE NEXT ONE!? I'LL RIP ITS GUTS OUT AND SPLATTER THEM ALL OVER THE GROUND!

Th-there's no more. Y-you killed them all.

...Aw, really? Man, I was looking forward to slicing open more monsters. :(

Sadly, Bloody Lance's damage boost will wear off after battle (or if the character dies) so it's limited against stuff like bosses and FOEs. Unfortunately, I somehow forgot to spend Susan's skill point for a while.

A shortcut that we can't go through yet.

And new enemies.

So these are the Deep Ones.

Deep Medium
HP: 462
TP: 133
STR: 34
VIT: 34
AGI: 29
LUC: 32
TEC: 38
Exp: 1552
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Ebony Nail - 55% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Trebuchet (Crossbow.) 6 needed for Flame Amulet (Accessory.)
--Deep One's nail with the power to draw out spells.
Description: A mage of the Deep Ones that draws on ambient spiritual power to eliminate invaders.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 125% Strike: 125% Pierce: 125% Fire: 100% Ice: 75% Volt: 100%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 100% Poison: 100% Blind: 100% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 50%
Other Resistances: Death: 100% Petrification: 100% Stun: 122%

Skills:

Fishman Drug: Uses the Head. Heals an ally for around 160 HP.
Icicle: Uses the Head. Deals 90% Ice damage to a single target.

These enemies are essentially mages. They hit hard with magic, and can heal their allies. They're also weak to physical attacks and binds. Not much of an issue on their own, but beware of Icicle. It hits hard.

FIRST, YOUR HEAD! NOW FOR THE REST OF YOU!

Oh yeah, I also picked up the Instant Death sword for Rose. It's nice to just get rid of an enemy immediately.

But since they're weak to physical attacks and binds, they really shouldn't be an issue.

DS Version

I finally remember to spend Susan's skill point. Don't expect any exciting level ups for her, since I'm trying to get Swashbuckling. Which requires a massive point investment. Rapier Mastery now provides a 3% damage boost when Susan does a regular attack.

And here's a passage into a treasure room.

Madora IIs are very handy items. They're the strongest version of a Madora, restoring 300 HP to an entire row. And you can't buy any more of these until the post-game.

You're also gonna wanna be careful in this room. Big Snakeheads are really common encounters here.

Fortunately, thanks to Charlotte, I have a good way of dealing with them.

Defensive formation!

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the concept of "damage."

I can essentially buy a free turn for my team very often thanks to this.

Provides a 21% chance to Head bind something. Meh.

Not much interesting here aside from that. Let's move on.

This gate closes when you go through it from the north. This gate is here to show you that gates only close when walking through them in a certain direction, in case you haven't figured that out already.

Another gate switch.

Which is mainly if you backtrack through this gate.

Hmm...

Activating that gate switch and going through this shortcut will allow you to face this FOE.

It'll try chasing you down if its path isn't blocked by a gate, though it won't chase you too far.

DS Version

Hey Charlotte, why don't you show us what you got against this FOE?

A-are you s-sure this is a good i-idea!?

Trust me, you'll probably be fine.

Freed Savage
Behavior: Will attempt to chase the party if it can. Will give up if the party gets too far away from it.
Aggressive: Yes
HP: 2262
TP: 541
STR: 49
VIT: 47
AGI: 33
LUC: 36
TEC: 40
Attack Type: Strike
Exp: 11890
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Curved Horn - 80% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Kaminari Otoshi (Katana. Must be restocked.)
--Only needs one strike to stab and kill oncoming foes.
Description: A gigantic sea beast kept by the Deep Ones. When released, it pursues its prey relentlessly.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 122% Ice: 100% Volt: 100%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 10% Confusion: 122% Plague: 10% Poison: 10% Blind: 10% Curse: 10% Paralysis: 10%
Bind Resistances: Head: 25% Arm: 25% Leg: 25%
Other Resistances: Death: 10% Petrification: 10% Stun: 50%

Skills:

Bite Off: Uses the Head. A single target Strike attack that deals 150% damage.
Ground Shake: Uses the Legs. Deals 50% Almighty damage to the entire party and has a 40% chance to inflict Stun. Has an accuracy of 120. Has an action speed of +5. Uses the TEC stat.

Depending on your party setup, these walruses are either free exp, or are a huge pain to deal with. A Zodiac using an Etheric Charged Hellfire can easily take them out in one attack, but Ground Shake might prevent them from doing that. The damage on that move isn't too high, but that Stun can pretty much wreck your party. Bite Off will flat out kill the person it targets. They might seem scary, but if you have a source of Confusion in your party, you can inflict that since they're susceptible to it and completely shut them down.

Gonna buy myself a free turn with Aegis Shield.

And gonna amplify our party's damage with Eagle Eye.

I'm just having Rose set up a safety net in case something goes horribly wrong.

Both her and Scott will charge up for an attack.

MEGAQUEEN will increase our party's damage output even further.

And Fang will lock down the Freed Savage.

Come at me! I dare ya!

Uhhhh, f-follow my lead! So scared. So scared. So scared.

Get me that Walrus' head!

Oh. Wasn't expecting that to work so well.

Strike there.

Stampede!

Hmm, maybe you hit it too hard.

Incidentally, Fang actually has a 137% to 146% chance of landing Confusion, so it's impossible for the elephant to not inflict the ailment on it. Unless it misses its attack, which is an unfortunate disadvantage that Wildlings have compared to other ailment classes in the series.

Time to finish it off.

Ooh, what's the matter? Wanna chomp on us? Too bad!

Wait, that's it? I was expecting more from a gigantic walrus. :geno:

SEE? I TOLD YO- Ahem. See? I told you they were chumps! Trust us, we've been at this for a long time.

If you have the tools to deal with them, they're easy to take down. Otherwise, avoid them.

DS Version

And for the record, there's nothing inside that cage.

:geno:

Which gate should we take?

Who cares? Let's just take this one.

DS Version

Really?

Deep Marine
HP: 502
TP: 133
STR: 41
VIT: 36
AGI: 30
LUC: 27
TEC: 33
Exp: 1536
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Spearhead Chip 55% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Awl Pike (Spear.) 2 needed for Wakizashi (Katana.) 8 needed for Energy Bracelet (Accessory.) 5 needed for the quest An artisan's choice.
--Shattered tip of a Deep One's spear.
Description: A Deep One soldier which will not hesitate to sacrifice itself for its allies.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 75% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 125% Ice: 125% Volt: 125%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 100% Poison: 100% Blind: 100% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 122%
Bind Resistances: Head: 50% Arm: 50% Leg: 50%
Other Resistances: Death: 100% Petrification: 100% Stun: 50%

Skills:

Cover: Does not use a body part. Protects an ally and takes damage in their place. Has an action speed of +20.
Rush: Uses the Arms. Deals 130% Pierce damage to a single target.

These guys are the counterparts to Deep Mediums. They're physical attackers, but they also act like Hoplites, protecting their allies from your attacks. Which can get pretty annoying. Paralysis is easy to land on them, but it won't completely shut them down.

What? I wasn't aiming for him!

Cover doesn't make much of a difference here, but in deadlier formations, it can be a deadly time waster.

Your carcass shall make for quite the feast! ...Wait. Are Deep Ones edible?

Ewwww. I don't want to eat those! :barf:

Agreed on that being a terrible idea.

Fang gets a level up. A lot of the enemies seen so far aren't that dangerous on their own. (Save for the Big Snakehead. :argh:) But if you don't know how to deal with them, things will get hairy later on.

DS Version

Call Snake now summons a snake that has a base HP of 66, whose initial attack deals 105% damage, and AI attacks deal 95% damage. It also has a 38% chance to bind an enemy's arms.

Huh, no exits.

I think we took the wrong gate after all. What now?

There must be SOME way out of here. Let's look around.

This one way passage is here in case you get locked in like that.

Perhaps we should try this gate.

There we go!

Now which gate do we go through?

No clues, so we might as well go through this one.

Huh, guess we took the right gate this time.

DS Version

NO, THAT WAS WRONG! DEFINITELY WRONG!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 5, 2015

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

But since they're weak to physical attacks and binds, they really shouldn't be an issue.

DS Version

Accidentally put the 3rd stratum music in place of the 4th here, chief.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rawkking posted:

Accidentally put the 3rd stratum music in place of the 4th here, chief.

Whoops. Fixed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, now I know I couldn't play this game.

I'd flip out every time I saw "Swordfishs" :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, now I know I couldn't play this game.

I'd flip out every time I saw "Swordfishs" :v:

Atlus USA sadly doesn't take the time to add in proper battle messages for a lot of stuff. "Venomflys," "Haggiss," etc. (that last one is supposed to be a plural of "Haggis"). There's also EO1 and 2, where the game always says "Monsters have appeared!" when starting a fight with multiple enemies...even if you aren't fighting monsters, like the Ren and Tlachtga fight from EO1 and the Artelind and Wilhelm fight from EO2. Can't forget "Defeated the Ren!," "Defeated the Artelind!," etc.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I definitely misread that name that way a few times, too.

Dr. Fetus posted:

...Aw, really? Man, I was looking forward to slicing open more monsters. :sad:

You made a small typo here, Dr. Fetus.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I definitely misread that name that way a few times, too.

You made a small typo here, Dr. Fetus.

Thanks. Fixed that one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 50: The Starry Shard

The Porcelain Offering... I have no idea what that is. Doesn't look like anyone else knows, either.

Oop! Almost got me there, ha ha!

Like I said, they're free exp for my team. Nothing much to worry about there.

DS Version

Anyways, you need to walk through this gate so you can shut that Freed Savage's cage.

And when I said a few enemies weren't much to talk about on their own, but would be painful to deal with later, encounters like these are what I'm talking about.

The Deep Marine will protect the Deep Medium.

And then the Deep Medium will try to heal the Deep Marine. If it's alive at least. If she tried to cast it on an ally who just died, then she just wastes her turn.

Sorry fish lady, but there's no one that can help you now!

And here's another camping site.

I take a rest here which happens to trigger something.

Hmm? What's that gold thing that just appeared on the map?

That would be a Pasaran. AFTER IT! :black101:

Wait, how? The gates are closed, so we can't go back that way.

Simple! We just need to find another way back there!

That doesn't really answer my question.

There's a shortcut that leads back to the middle of the map. Hopefully I can still make it.

NO! Don't go right don't go right don't go right!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!

Come on come on come on!

GOT YOU!

DS Version

Did you really think you could escape me, MEGAQUEEN!?

I thought her name was Susan?

It was a dumb title she came up for herself. Don't indulge her, just call her Susan.

Pasaran
HP: 480
TP: 300
STR: 33
VIT: 36
AGI: 49
LUC: 50
Attack Type: Strike
Exp: 45000
Item Drops: N/A
Description: A fluff monster drifting in the magma caves. It’s said to be related to those on upper Strata.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 25% Strike: 25% Pierce: 25% Fire: 25% Ice: 25% Volt: 25% Almighty: 25%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 5% Confusion: 5% Plague: 5% Poison: 5% Blind: 5% Curse: 5% Paralysis: 5%
Other Resistances: Death: 1% Petrification: 1% Stun: 10%

Skills:

Self-Destruct: Uses the Head. The Pasaran explodes, dealing 140% Strike damage to the whole party, disappearing from the map and denies them exp.
Lower Arms: Uses the Arms. The Pasaran wriggles its arms, lowering them, and turns into the Pasaran from the 1st Stratum. Which heavily lowers the party's exp gain.
Escape: Uses the Legs. The Pasaran flees from battle, denying you exp and disappears from the map.

Okay, this Pasaran introduces a new dick move. Not only can it self-destruct or run away, it can also lower its arms, which transforms it into the Pasaran from the 1st Stratum. You know, the kind that only gives 5000 exp, which is a pittance at this point. Not only that, if it pulls that off and you kill it in that form, this specific kind of Pasaran won't get registered into the Codex. So if you're going for 100% completion, be aware of that.

Just setting up here. I'm gonna have Rose attack with a Charged Mumyouken, so I'm amplifying her damage as much as possible.

Ha! Try blowing up, now!

Eeeeeyaaaaa!

Striking there might be best. Hmm, for a fluffy little thing, it certainly looks tough.

He's about to pop!

HAAAAAA!

In case Mumyouken doesn't kill it, I'll have Blade Rave ready to go.

Scatter its fluff into the wind!

This might kill you a little.

Okay, some of those damage ups may have been overkill.

Only Scott got a level up after all that.

Berserker's Vow now gives an 82% damage boost, at the cost of 80% of Scott's current HP.

Another level up happens shortly afterward.

Bloody Lance provides a 16% damage boost each time Rose kills someone. This might be as far as I take it. The skill has really limited use outside of specific builds.

I grow stronger!

Hope I'm not too rusty...

And here's Katana Mastery. It provides a 2% damage boost to Charlotte's regular attacks. Incidentally...

This skill actually had its description swapped with the Gladiator's Sword Mastery. Just felt like pointing that out.

There's another Freed Savage up ahead.

Trap it in its cage by going through this gate. Then you can freely explore the west side.

If you get yourself stuck, you can use this switch to open the gate back up.

But where's the fun in sparing monsters?

A5 Chop Point:
Deathly Stem: 30% Gather Rate.
Crystal Vine: 70% Gather Rate.
Siamese Senna: Rare.
Common Gather Periods: 1 to 9.
Rare Gather Periods: 2 to 5.

Here's another gate switch. If you trapped the Freed Savage, you can use this to open up the gates.

Because this chest would be blocked off by them otherwise.

The Vital Belt provides a 25% boost to a character's HP. Kind of nice, I guess. Not sure if that's worth a whole equipment slot, though.

Oh, and if you want to sneak past that Freed Savage, you need to remember to close the gates.

Susan got another level up, and Rapier Mastery now gives a 4% damage boost to regular attacks.

There are more Freed Savages down here, but you can freely ignore them.

Or kill them. Up to you.

There are 3 of them in this part of the map. I opt to kill all of them.

Oops, I messed up. :(

WHAT!? How did that not work? That's literally impossible since Fang had over 100% to land Confusion! Unless... Oh darn it. I think the ailment formula in this game might actually cap your success rate at 99% or something. Something similar happened at the beginning of this LP, where Cassandra managed to avoid being Poisoned by the Greedy Lizard, even though it was impossible for her to resist it. (which I just brushed off as a glitch at the time.) And now my tendency to get unlikely occurrences to happen to has come back to bite me in the butt.

Blown down...

Um, he's okay, right!?

If we can take this thing down, we can wake him up.

Really? Two times in a row!? That's a one in ten thousand chance of happening! :argh:

Oh well. Even with that mishap, I still managed to get through it.

The snake now has a base HP of 72, it deals 110% damage on its initial attack, and 100% damage on its AI attacks. And it has a 41% chance to bind an enemy's arms.

Anyways, like I said. You don't have to fight those Freed Savages at all. You can just keep walking east and just go through this gate.

The vines are withered and appear to be dead, but shriveled fruit is growing on one stalk. You recall the request you accepted to gather fruit for the clinic. This shriveled-up fruit appears to be the item that was requested. You can pick the fruit from this vine to accomplish the request.

Hey, didn't someone need this?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is it.

You pick the shriveled fruit from the withered vine before you on the wall. The fruit is much lighter than it looks. You carefully wrap it and stow it in your pack. The request has been completed! All that remains is to take the fruit to the bar.

Now if you didn't take the quest to get this fruit, this event becomes a class specific event.

You stop at a dead end where vines are entwined on the wall. The vines are withered and appear to be dead, but shriveled fruit is growing on one stalk. It wouldn’t be hard to pick one and eat it, but the thought is rather unappetizing...

Eat the shriveled fruit?

No:

Let's not.

The shriveled fruit turns your stomach to look at it. The thought of food poisoning occurs to you... You decide to leave the vines as they are and hurry on your way.

If you say yes without a Monk in the party:

This tastes awful! :buddy:

The shriveled up is tasteless and dry; you come away with the sensation of eating a tree. You spit several times, regretting your decision to eat the fruit as you leave the area.

If you say yes with a Monk in the party:

You steel yourself and reach out to pick the fruit to eat it, but Faye stops you.

Hold on there! You don't wanna eat that kind of thing raw.

Hmm? You know how you're supposed to eat this properly?

Yeah, if you just crush it into a powder, it'll do wonders for you if you get tired. Try it!

According to Faye, the fruit is an effective means of reducing fatigue when taken as a powder. You follow the advice and crush the fruit into a powder before slowly ingesting it. Its distinct smell vexes you a bit as you swallow, but you can sense the power it contains.

Everyone recovered 80 HP and 80 TP!

I'm surprised you knew that.

Hey, I remember a lot of things from my studies. I just didn't think I'd actually find a use for them.

Okay, so the gate's open. Now how are we gonna get past that thing?

Why don't we just kill it?

I don't know about you, but I don't feel like getting munched on by a walrus again.

Hmm. Aha!

First, we lure that FOE out.

Then we have it chase us around that pillar.

I'm liking this plan so far.

Um.

And then we can hide out in here as that gate... Erm...

Charlotte. Just what were you thinking, leading us in here!?

Erm, I was hoping the gate would close, locking out that beast and keeping us safe in here for the time being.

And uh, how were we supposed to get out of here if it did close?

Simple. We just activate the switch outside... the... ohhhhh.

That was a stupid plan, no matter which way you looked at it!

I'm sorry! It's been a long time since I've had to do some in depth planning, okay!?

Why couldn't we have just gone through the other gate?

You know, you might want to pay attention to the giant walrus about to-aw crud.

I just like to step on every tile on the map. It's how I roll. Anyway, Stuns are a pretty annoying disable. They aren't an actual ailment, so they do stack with them. However, they prevent someone from acting for a turn. However, they are only effective on the turn they are applied, so they won't do a thing if they get inflicted too late, and won't carry over to the next turn. So all the Freed Savage did was get some AOE damage on us, and any stuns that got applied are wasted.

Anyways, that fight wasn't too bad, since I didn't have another Confusion mishap like I did in the last fight.

Here's a gate switch if you need to backtrack.

And a shortcut straight from the beginning to the end.

And we're completely done with the 13th floor! Also, screw that Pasaran. I'm not chasing after it.

Now that we're on the 14th floor, let's go back to town and see what the people there have to say.

DS Version

R-Remember the Guardian I was talking about the other day? It got eaten by this gigantic squid! They say it was probably a mutant version of an Overlord Squid. It went like, CHOMP, and ate it whole! My mind was just blown! Looks like no Guardian for me...

Aw, that's too bad, kid.

..."Too bad"? Hahaha! What’re you talking about? All that’s changed is that now I gotta catch that Overlord Squid!

The Overlord Squid is an actual fish you can get, and it's really hard to get. I'll go after it later.

DS Version

You haven’t shown your faces in here lately. I’d started to worry you might be dead.

You were actually worried about us!?

Eh? Of course I was! Imagine the PR nightmare it would be if you died in Napier armor!

...Something tells me her priorities aren't in order.

Yeah, she tends to put money first before everything.

Let's see look at the equipment we've unlocked.

The Harvest Scythe is the next in line for Farmer exclusive weapons.

The Evil Sea Boots could provide a nice boost to Monks and Zodiacs.

Ooh, now here's an interesting accessory. The Flame Amulet increases a character's Fire resistance by 50%. If they wear two of them, they would become immune to Fire attacks.

What's wrong?

Urgh... More and more guilds are forgetting the deadlines to the requests they take. Everyone’s focused on just exploring the forest now. Bunch of slackers... Ugh! I wish all the explorers were more like you!

I see why the Senatus has their eye on our guild. Hmmhmm.

Yo, how’s it going? No need for small talk! We can go straight to you buying me something!

Heeey, Missy! Could I get some water over here?

Coastal squid is the best, no question! Missy’s recipe is so good, I wish I could marry her!

Ahem.

...I think I just went a little crazy from the flavor. Today’s treasure is this Dull Chest Fin! It turned grey from the focused grudge of the Big Snakehead after it was cursed to death. It’s not easy to pull off, but the reward can be worth it! Heheheheheh! Ohhh, and by the way! You realize this is our secret, right? Don’t go telling anyone!

Ya gotta respect the first guy who ate a shrimp. I mean, they look like beetles of the sea... Good thing for him, and us, it was delicious! Anyway, see this Dryad Statue? Looks valuable, huh? Turns out it’s not so hard to get. Ya just gotta freeze an Otherspawn! Don’t tell anyone, got it? We should keep this between ourselves!

I’m drinking here while I wait for my new husband to return from the Labyrinth. Have you ever seen an Otherspawn? It has cute, girlish features, but don’t be fooled: it’s devious. A group of them will summon a dreadful Deep One that’s willing to sacrifice itself. You might be wondering how I know so much about this... M... My newest husband tried to tame an Otherspawn and was beaten to death by Deep Ones! *sob sob*

Oh, I'm very sorry to hea-

:catstare: ...I'm going to back away now.

That does sound like a problem.

You are accepting this request? Oh, you’re such a big help! That one is from Herm. You know the northern hall on B14F? When someone enters, a device activates statue monsters. It would be super-helpful if somebody could figure out how to turn that device off. If somebody doesn’t do something, this could be causing trouble for a whole lot of people. You know what I am getting at, yes? Help me, help Herm, help your fellow explorers! We are all counting on you! Go forth, adventurers!

What's this about treasures?

Hm? Oh, that request is from the antique collector, Wilbur. He wants relics from the Abyssal Shrine, but he doesn’t know what’s down there. Such a stupid request! I can’t stand these amateur clients! Get your ideas straight! Anyway... I am having no idea what he is wanting, either! Hahaha! Sorry! He wants one antique item, your choice. Just find something and bring it back. The girl at Napier’s Frim may know something about treasure. Perhaps you should ask her. Well, I trust you will be getting the job done. Go forth, explorers!

And I forgot to turn in the shrub fruit quest. Oh well, I'll do it later.

DS Version

I guess those gates are giving us trouble.

...Hm? Can’t figure out a way past those steel bars? Well, I have bad news for you, because the Labyrinth’s traps get more and more devious as you go. If you can’t keep your wits about you outside battle, you’re still a second-rate explorer.

DS Version

The smallest oversight could lead to serious danger out on the open sea. Never forget that. It’ll be too late for regrets when you’re about to become shark food.

DS Version

The undersea shrine you’re going through right now was also part of the ocean city, back in my day. Hearing about it brings back so many memories... Those buildings are where I spent my youth.

I wish I could have seen it.

Let's go to the Deep City, and see what the people there have to say.

DS Version

HUH!? :confused:

What was that about? I thought we weren't on good terms with them anymore.

Maybe you did something nice for her? Or the king?

If we did, I don't remember just what it was.

I should probably note that this item is completely useless to Tidehunt. In fact everything Olympia said is completely irrelevant to them. It's basically just flavor text in this case.

DS Version

Well, so long as the Abyssal King approves, the Twinkling Tavern will gladly accept any guest! Our doors are always open!

DS Version

You seem pretty happy.

Do I seem like I’m in a good mood? Well, I am. I’ve finally got a steady stream of customers! Working at the home office was so stressful that I never realized how bad boredom could be.

DS Version

And I have no reason to indulge you in conversation. But don’t forget. No one is more concerned for mankind’s future than the Abyssal King.

You're really giving us mixed messages here, Olympia.

I'm a complicated person.

Okay, let's go talk to Edie about that quest.

Do you happen to know about any treasures in the Abyssal Shrine?

You’re in luck today! I just got in some new armor and... Huh? The Abyssal Shrine? Well, it just so happens that I might have something. You are special customers...

We need one for a request.

A request, hm? All you’d have to do is turn this in, then! Look at this stylish jar! An adventurer brought it up from the Abyssal Shrine yesterday! Tell you what... Since you’re such a good customer, I’ll let you have it for 3000en!

That sounds like a good deal! Sold!

Sure, let's get this over with.

Fantastic! You get your quest done, I get money, all’s right with the world. It’s win-win-win! We’re all friends here, aren’t we? Heehee!

I don't like this...

And we're done with the quest!

Welcoming! Did you get the job done? Hm? You just bought this at the firm to get the request over with? How much was it?

Well, it is not my problem, is it? I just need you to get the job done. Here is the reward... though it is less than you paid for the item in the first place!

EDIIIIIEEEEEEEE! :argh:

We get less than favorable rewards and an okay amount of exp.

Though the Energy Bracelet does provide a nice VIT boost.

But let's not fall for Edie's scam and say no. Don't worry, I'm gonna show off how to do this quest properly.

:geno:

Hey, don’t look at me like that... ...Okay, okay! You got me! That request’s from Wilbur, isn’t it? He bought an antique candlestick from me recently... That must be the kind of treasure he’s into. Go ask another explorer where to look. The guy I bought this jar from must be at the bar. I paid a ransom for this thing, too. There is a little fee for inform--I-I’m joking! D-Don’t glare at me like that.

If you say yes, but don't have enough money:

What’s this? That isn’t enough money! I’m not running a charity here!

And then she proceeds with the rest of her no dialouge.

Hm? An antique in the undersea temple? Ohhh, you mean that pot? Yeah, that thing sold for a lot. I found it in the mountain of junk in the northwest passage on B14F.

And you just told us about it?

...What, are you surprised I just came out and told you? You’re thinking normally, if there was treasure left, I’d be keeping the spot a secret.

...Oh.

That’s right. You see what I’m getting at, right?

There may be something still there. We may as well have a look if we get the chance.

Wait... You’re still going to go? You guys are weird. Well, guess it’s nothing to do with me.

And now, it's finally time to turn this quest in.

Hello again! You look happy. Did you get another request done?

We got the fruit!

Oh...! This nasty-looking thing goes into medicine? How very strange... In any case, well done. Now, take your reward!

Provides a 21% chance to inflict Arm bind. Meh.

Next time: We go ant stomping.

:smithicide:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 7, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Imagine a boot stomping on an ants face forever.
And the ant JUST WONT loving DIE GOD loving drat IT DIE ALREADY YOU FAT gently caress

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Dear Diary... Today Tidehunt came by my house again. GAWD. Don't they get that I don't even like them?!? I had to talk to them for AAAAGES because Kingy wasn't around and it was like, they were like "what's your deal, Olympia" and I was like "I'm COMPLICATEDDDDDD." I hate it when Armonerds can't check their human privilege. It's like, "You killed the Gatekeeper, you're like, not WANTED HERE????" but instead I have to go like, "subclasses are coolio!" UUUUGH. FML. Gonna go talk to Zeus and chat about boys to get my mind off of it. -Olympia

(the is are dotted with hearts)

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

alcharagia posted:

Dear Diary... Today Tidehunt came by my house again. GAWD. Don't they get that I don't even like them?!? I had to talk to them for AAAAGES because Kingy wasn't around and it was like, they were like "what's your deal, Olympia" and I was like "I'm COMPLICATEDDDDDD." I hate it when Armonerds can't check their human privilege. It's like, "You killed the Gatekeeper, you're like, not WANTED HERE????" but instead I have to go like, "subclasses are coolio!" UUUUGH. FML. Gonna go talk to Zeus and chat about boys to get my mind off of it. -Olympia

(the is are dotted with hearts)

Brilliant.

Olympia as a valley girl posting on Tumblr is so absurd it crosses right back over into 'This fits strangely well.'

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yaaaaaaaay ants!

Also I had no idea the Pasarans had the arm lowering attack. That's hilarious.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Crosspeice posted:

Yaaaaaaaay ants!

Also I had no idea the Pasarans had the arm lowering attack. That's hilarious.

If Pasarans weren't such a reminder of how hard power leveling is in this game it'd all actually be pretty unique and great. I'd love to see Pasarans return as massive gold bombs instead, potentially with that arm switch mechanic embraced. You have a few turns to kill them and they'll continually drop the amount of gold they'll give out at the end (and still run after x turns).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Question: When Tidehunt goes ant stomping, should they do it fair and square or have no mercy?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

When will have no mercy ever be the wrong answer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Question: When Tidehunt goes ant stomping, should they do it fair and square or have no mercy?

:getin:

(No mercy)

• Locked thread