Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I really don't want more XP. This game gives you way too much XP as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Carcer posted:

A neat thing with highwayman comic is that the jagged glass at the end looks like the stress/affliction symbol.

The stress symbol itself is a neat little recurring visual motif throughout the game, almost everything in the game displays it somewhat. The family coat of arms, the Necromancer's robes, an upside down version appears in the Warrens, the Drowned Crew's anchor, the cultist helmets, the list goes on and on. I was pretty happy to see it show up in the comic as well.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

the darkest dungeon will contain enemies who stress out your heroes by making them responsible for the deaths of children

Actually this sounds plausible. Enemies based on who you send in so that there isn't any obvious dream team for the final dungeon and everyone gets hosed.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I'm expecting the Ancestor to show up in some form or another, since he's done nothing but babble in a ghostly voice from the moment the player came near the estate.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I'm expecting the Ancestor to show up in some form or another, since he's done nothing but babble in a ghostly voice from the moment the player came near the estate.

At this point if the Ancestor isn't the end boss I'll be massively disappointed

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Soothing Vapors posted:

At this point if the Ancestor isn't the end boss I'll be massively disappointed

I'm imagining a two-phase fight where his husk shambles out of the shadows and harasses you with a bunch of bizarre low-damage high-stress attacks, then explodes into an enormous, room-filling cosmic doombringer.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

the darkest dungeon will contain enemies who stress out your heroes by making them responsible for the deaths of children
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkddXWXexis&t=146s

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is this game still set to be "finished" some time this year? Did the full release get delayed until 2016?

VVV Man that's way too close to when Xcom 2 comes out

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 6, 2015

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
January 19, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I'll want to see where the story is going, too. From what I've seen so far, the player character is an unseen entity and one of the Ancestor's descendants, who lived at the Estate before it went to hell. When everything was absolutely hosed, the Ancestor wrote a letter to the player character from the ruins of his mansion, then shot himself. The mansion was left in the hands of cultists and undead, brigands took over the roads completely, and the spreading fungi and mutations of the Weald blocked off any remaining access. How the letter got to the player character I don't know, but it's possible that the insane Caretaker brought it with him when he left the Estate, and tracked down the player character to deliver it to him.

The player character recruited Reynauld and Dismas and set out towards the Estate in a family carriage driven by the Caretaker, who promptly crashed it and fled to the Estate alone. Reynauld and Dismas carved a path through the brigands, opening a supply line to the Hamlet and allowing entrepreneurs to re-open the abandoned inn, smithy, sanitarium, and so forth. A steady stream of adventurers began to arrive, with varying goals. Many are religious and seek to purge the Estate of evil spirits and things whose very existence is blasphemy; others, such as the Highwayman and Man-At-Arms, are haunted by an immense guilt that's driven them to seek redemption at the Estate. Either way, the player character's been using them as footsoldiers, provisioning them and sending them on quests but not accompanying them as far as I can tell.

What's not clear is why the player character is doing any of this. The letter said to reclaim his birthright and deliver his family from the Darkest Dungeon, which is pretty broad. The player could be there to seal off the dungeon and purge the Estate of corruption so as to make it habitable again, he could be there to raze the Estate to the ground and erase the atrocities that took place there from his family's history, or he could be there to rescue somebody from the Darkest Dungeon itself. All we know so far is that the player character is sending soldiers to map out the dungeons, retrieve artifacts, and occasionally destroy one of the Ancestor's biggest mistakes.

One thought that comes to mind is that the game only looks like this because it's Early Access, and the full release will have more structure and clearer overarching objectives. Currently all we have is "Caretaker Goals" which is a massive checklist of bosses to wreck and another checklist of hero classes to get to resolve level 6. I'm curious to see what that shrinks to in the full release; I feel like I'm just dicking around and killing bosses for the sake of killing bosses at the moment.

Though then again, it's possible that we're actually playing as the Caretaker and just having a jolly good time getting wasted and sending people out to die.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
so the abomination straight up ruins dudes right now. im expecting him to get dialed back a bit.

also, has anyone else run into the collector yet? that guy was a fuckin shock, tell you what.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 6, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the player character is pretty clearly going to follow in the footsteps of the ancestor, get corrupted, and go similarly wacky-evil.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

then you start new game+

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"hmm, i've got a letter from my Ancestors"

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Need to go play with the latest patch still, but once you learn (or look-up) curio interactions, and figure out some decent plans for bringing supplies, you should be making enough money to not need "grinding" missions. Also since costs for stuff like stress relief, upgrading, etc have all been scaled to level, the adage of "run level 0 with no provisions and sack them" is slow and boring.

If you want to run a lower group for money/heirlooms, do this. Getting a group to level 1 and grabbing the first upgrade to weapon, armor, and main skills is cheap and makes them hugely effective. A proper level 1 party can kill any of the low level bosses in a 0 light run (as of last patch), so even if the patch has mucked with that they should still be crushing dungeons. Aim for medium or long length missions, look at what you want before going in (for example, I want deeds and gold) then prioritize loot. Don't worry about fixing traits or things, but stress relief is pretty cheap. If you're just running them once for a week off for your other groups, you might not even really need to de-stress them. To cycle in a new group, recruit the replacements to run the last dungeon in a set of "2 newbies, 2 level 2s". Now you have a new set of level 1 guys to repeat as you wish, and if any of the other guys were a class that you want to take higher, they're at level 3 and you can work that in.

The death's door debuff is the same that was in effect before, it just now persists so that the "oh he got knocked to death's door, better give him a 1hp heal" thing gets nerfed. poo poo like prophet or swine king where in general you don't lose people straight up very often, but is easy to get knocked to death's door now become quite a bit rougher. Though this also makes those loving giants in the weald even worse, gently caress those guys.

In terms of general game difficulty, it has gotten harder mostly in terms of them removing or limiting exploitative game strategies. For example chain stunning an enemy to heal/de-stress to full. Other things like corpses make the go-to strategy obsolete (mash attacks at rank1 until win), but open up other things and help out weaker abilities. So the game is harder, but not much so if you weren't relying on a plan that got nerfed.

They're also trying to make the difficulty curve over the course of a game more even, which is really hard in any rpg.

Edit: the death's door debuff that lasts until end of quest isn't that bad. -2 acc, -5% dmg, -1 spd, +10% stress damage.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 6, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
All good info. One other thing: higher level missions feature new rider abilities and AI for monsters, generally featuring debuffs that leave the target more vulnerable to other enemy attacks. Sometimes it makes fights more interesting, sometimes it just doesn't do much of anything.

The good news is, this means a lot of nasty enemies act in a more predictable and somewhat easier way. e.g. ghoul now likes to open with his mediocre melee attack which includes a minor stress resist debuff (which still means less stress than if he just spammed Howl like he randomly would before.) Bone captains like to use their regular melee on round 1 which now includes a stun resist debuff and then ground pound round 2, instead of randomly deciding to stun the whole party round 1. Blighted giants like to shuffle the party round 1 instead of dropping a tree trunk to the face right off the bat (this one is pretty mean in its own right but can be managed a lot easier than 40 damage crits.)

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

The other thing about running level 0 guys is that you start with 20 stress for entering a dungeon higher level than the character, which also sets you back right from the start. So far full dark runs in the new patch are a lot dicier, which is good.

Edit: Can't run from shambler on round 1 looks like. So pretty much going to take some damage from running into one. Round 2 it let me start trying to run.

E2: Going to say they've got the "you're delaying combat" setup over-tuned at the moment, or bugged. Having multiple guys damaging the enemy (normal attacks, not stuns/debuffs) and still having reinforcements show up is.. not interesting. I wasn't even trying anything, just my random hodge-podge turned out to be really lovely at killing the last rank 1 guy.

I'm liking the new changes to monster abilities, but they really need to do a damage pass on a lot of things. For example the 4 mushroom weald encounter is pretty crazy on the damage it shits out with nothing you can really do about it (front guys have prot and high hp, do respectable damage and bonus to mark, the back guys have solid hp and blight all over the place).

Also I either got amazing bad luck, or they tweaked the dark penalties without showing them anywhere. Talking around a 30% crit rate on my guys (usually in a streak, so it'd be 3 crits in 4 swings sort of deal), and if I managed to get up to 33% deathblow resist I would be amazed. This was over 6 or 7 runs.

I think they've got poo poo pushed to a spot that a new estate is in a really rough spot, and a new player is probably going to just get frustrated and quit.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 6, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

I think they've got poo poo pushed to a spot that a new estate is in a really rough spot, and a new player is probably going to just get frustrated and quit.

anecdotal i know but im kind of seeing the opposite in my game. the level 1 runs are more or less where theyve always been in terms of difficulty, but at level 2 things have gotten really brutal. i did a coves mission where i got nothing but groups of four spearfish that just savaged me. they pull guys out of marching order with their spear attacks now on top of everything else, you see, and i think i made it about five rooms before my guys fell into a stress cascade and i had to bail. im glad they re-did the heart attack mechanic not to cause instadeath because retreating from the last fight in that attempt topped two of my party members out on stress and made them have coronaries. it was insane.

i mean on one hand, its rude as heck. but on the other, wow guys are dying now!! i kind of liked that houndmaster a lot, but dudes are supposed to die in this game.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 6, 2015

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz1r53WSJCw

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ZypherIM posted:

I'm liking the new changes to monster abilities, but they really need to do a damage pass on a lot of things. For example the 4 mushroom weald encounter is pretty crazy on the damage it shits out with nothing you can really do about it (front guys have prot and high hp, do respectable damage and bonus to mark, the back guys have solid hp and blight all over the place).

Plague doc can easily stun the back row before they can mark, giving ample time to kill them off. Same for teams with multiple long range stuns (vestal, bounty hunter etc.) Arbalest can clear marks. Man-at-Arms and Houndmaster can guard marked characters and laugh at the scratcher's attacks. Teams with frontloaded damage have a decent shot at wiping the artillery before it can mark. There are lots of ways to deal with that encounter; if the front line fungus wasn't so beefy it would be a joke.

I find the 2x mushroom 2x cultist fight a lot more interesting. At veteran/champion tier the cultists' incantation has a mark target effect, they're fast, and they're smart enough to switch to push/pull spam after dropping their marks. So instead of unimpressive blight damage they're rearranging your party order while the fungal scratchers bash away for ~19 average damage. It takes a much faster offense or good defensive tactics to handle them.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The Collector feels kinda like a chump. He gets ruined quite easily by any person who can hit the rear, and his heads aren't really that good at dealing damage either.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

also, has anyone else run into the collector yet? that guy was a fuckin shock, tell you what.

I just bought the drat game and he showed up on my second quest ever. Really fun

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Yashichi posted:

I just bought the drat game and he showed up on my second quest ever. Really fun

I can see no better introduction to Darkest Dungeon.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

anecdotal i know but im kind of seeing the opposite in my game. the level 1 runs are more or less where theyve always been in terms of difficulty, but at level 2 things have gotten really brutal. i did a coves mission where i got nothing but groups of four spearfish that just savaged me. they pull guys out of marching order with their spear attacks now on top of everything else, you see, and i think i made it about five rooms before my guys fell into a stress cascade and i had to bail. im glad they re-did the heart attack mechanic not to cause instadeath because retreating from the last fight in that attempt topped two of my party members out on stress and made them have coronaries. it was insane.

i mean on one hand, its rude as heck. but on the other, wow guys are dying now!! i kind of liked that houndmaster a lot, but dudes are supposed to die in this game.

My first level 5 cove fight had my A-team get totally wrecked because I started off on the mini-boss. Super high prot, high damage crab that also liked to put 30 damage bleeds or something ridiculous on my guys every turn. In addition to two healers / buffers constantly topping it off and giving it damage buffs.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

DraconicImpulse posted:

I can see no better introduction to Darkest Dungeon.

My introduction to Darkest Dungeon was running into an Eldritch Altar in the first hallway of the first dungeon and giving it a torch to see what would happen. :ohdear:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

amuayse posted:

The Collector feels kinda like a chump. He gets ruined quite easily by any person who can hit the rear, and his heads aren't really that good at dealing damage either.

How do you fight the new minibosses? Are they just random encounters in Black as Pitch?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Collector just seems to be a rare hallway battle. It can happen even if you are at full brightness, but he doesn't surprise and shuffle your group like Shambler does.
I'd say he's comparable to a weaker Necromancer of the respective dungeon difficulty level.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 7, 2015

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

My introduction to Darkest Dungeon was running into an Eldritch Altar in the first hallway of the first dungeon and giving it a torch to see what would happen. :ohdear:

This seems like it deserves a combination of :darksouls: and :xcom:.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

He keeps showing up when I'm trying to kill bosses.

At this point, I think he might be the mastermind behind this whole affair because he keeps getting Team Rocket'ed and then popping back up right on schedule.

The headcage is giving me bloodborne vibes. Dude was totally part of the school of mensis.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The entry for the Collector's encounter in the data files has some tags that imply he only shows up when your inventory is mostly full, which may or may not refer to treasure. No clue how it actually works or if those tags even work.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Maybe I'll try a new estate with full light for level 0s and no light otherwise, see how it goes. Perhaps the changes make no light level 0s lovely beyond annoyance. To be fair, I was still progressing nicely doing that, just felt bleh.

I'll argue that a level 0-1 party that doesn't have full upgrades isn't able to handle a 4 mushroom party very well, though after upgrades and skill selction etc it can do fine. A lot of other encounters can be a bit dicey, though with the mark changes I almost feel like the 4 mushroom encounter is worse than the bandit fiesta (big bandit, knife bandit, gun bandit).

Most of the things you posted don't work well unless you're at or above recommended level, minus man-at-arms. He actually shines in this case (and fits into my favorite party arb-occ-XXX-man, with XXX being slot 2 dps of perferred flavor). The close 2nd suggestion is basically bring a plague doc with back row stun and cure bleed/blight, which I've found is a bit too strong. I'd like to see the damage or debuff bits of her buffed and monster bits weakened. The perfect example is the big crab in the cove. With no PD, he does arterial pinch for a poo poo-ton of damage, but with her that move does almost nothing (0 to 1 tics). Without that move he is no threat at all, so bringing a PD to cove is nearly mandatory (I won't bring a group to cove without her). You can do it no problem without her, but bringing her entirely for debuff removal nullifies a very threatening enemy, which sort of goes against the spirit of the rest of the game.

Basically I feel like the new ineractions of enemy skills are really cool and add a dimension to the AI that was lacking before, and chances for you to act. Sort of a "you see them mark and then you deal with it" situation. The issue I have is that essentially the entry level and lower skill players are being punished even more, which sadly will pull players out of continual play. I've got 100+ hours into the game, and still have a blast, but I can see people not enjoying poo poo that happens. I'd say to exaggerate the AI even more at low levels, sort of a "take a turn or two to build up, then big damage/stress" situation. This would train new players to either counter the encounter as it does poo poo, or proactively kill/scramble the enemies so they can't do the big combo. Ideally the low level poo poo can be done with nearly no risk to the heroes provided proper play. Higher levels introduce new mechanics or more unavoidable stress/dmg. If that throws off the expected rewards per run or whatever, tweak it so higher level dungeons give more poo poo and lower level only gives enough to realistically increase town to a middling level.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ZypherIM posted:

Most of the things you posted don't work well unless you're at or above recommended level, minus man-at-arms. He actually shines in this case (and fits into my favorite party arb-occ-XXX-man, with XXX being slot 2 dps of perferred flavor). The close 2nd suggestion is basically bring a plague doc with back row stun and cure bleed/blight, which I've found is a bit too strong. I'd like to see the damage or debuff bits of her buffed and monster bits weakened. The perfect example is the big crab in the cove. With no PD, he does arterial pinch for a poo poo-ton of damage, but with her that move does almost nothing (0 to 1 tics). Without that move he is no threat at all, so bringing a PD to cove is nearly mandatory (I won't bring a group to cove without her). You can do it no problem without her, but bringing her entirely for debuff removal nullifies a very threatening enemy, which sort of goes against the spirit of the rest of the game.

I feel that this is a problem with the crab design more than the PD. I find that cure bleed/blight is balanced by how extremely situational it is: even when there's someone to cure, there's often more important things to spend actions on (obviously not talking about the crab fight here, since that one's a no-brainer.) Conventional healing is handy because you can you can easily let someone take 6/9/12 damage from DOT and find a time to heal it off later when you have a chance, but curing bleed/blight is now or never and if you had to stop to disable/kill something your chance may be gone forever.

I'll agree that rookie parties aren't going to be able to reliably alpha strike fungal artillery (even if they know how to build a party capable of it), but really the only dangerous part of the fight is that they naturally focus fire. The scratchers do scary amounts of damage but the artillery is really weak; the apprentice level AI spends half its time pinging already-marked characters with 1 damage marks and even if they decide to use their blight attack it's not that strong, so the group as a whole doesn't do much more than an average amount of damage and the damage output is concentrated in the front rank (which has no particular resistance to stun, providing another avenue to handle the fight.) So yeah, a pretty rough fight for new players but it should be a decent learning experience.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PD isn't mandatory for cove at all. Bleed resist trinkets and/or bandages counter arterial pinch just fine. Even a stun buffed with trinkets (eg hound master with cudgel and stun stone) will work in a pinch. (Pun absolutely intended.)

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 7, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really like the houndsmaster, he can sit on the back row, toss out a bleed on all enemies in a single turn, then he can block one of your dudes who is getting pummeled and consistently self-heal. Really great.

Also the changes to the Leper have made him a lot stronger, consistent self-heals for 6 and the occasional crit heal for 12 are pretty amazing.

Curious what role the merchant will play. Spends money to pacify enemies? Something like that?

I just fought my first shambler and jesus christ that team was not at all prepared.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I really like the houndsmaster, he can sit on the back row, toss out a bleed on all enemies in a single turn, then he can block one of your dudes who is getting pummeled and consistently self-heal. Really great.

Also the changes to the Leper have made him a lot stronger, consistent self-heals for 6 and the occasional crit heal for 12 are pretty amazing.

Curious what role the merchant will play. Spends money to pacify enemies? Something like that?

Apparently the plan is he has a blunderbuss you can jam treasure and items into to make it do damage (possibly with different effects depending on the item).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I haven't played this in a long time but am getting a new computer soon and that feels like a good time to dust it off. Does the game have cloud saves or am I going to have to start over?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
So I bought this semi-blind after seeing it on a stream and it owns quite a lot and while I don't regret my purchase one bit, I did not catch that it was in Early Access so I'm planning on going cold turkey until the game's finalized. Just one thing, though: what's the story on the Backer-exclusive class? This falls well within Caveat Emptor but is Merchant said Backer class or is it going to be something else?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

So I bought this semi-blind after seeing it on a stream and it owns quite a lot and while I don't regret my purchase one bit, I did not catch that it was in Early Access so I'm planning on going cold turkey until the game's finalized. Just one thing, though: what's the story on the Backer-exclusive class? This falls well within Caveat Emptor but is Merchant said Backer class or is it going to be something else?

Merchant is for everybody, the backer-exclusive class is just a reskin of an existing class.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Several things. First, the merchant isn't being released until after the full release, post the end of EA.

Second, the merchant comes free to everybody. Its just a backer-designed class, not a backer exclusive class.

There is a backer-exclusive class coming I believe but its just going to be a class variant on something that already exists AFAIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Gabriel Pope posted:

Merchant is for everybody, the backer-exclusive class is just a reskin of an existing class.

Cool, that's a relief. I'll still be gazing at it forlornly, I bet, but the game as it exists right now was worth the price of admission anyway. Knowing there's more coming down the line is both tantalizing and excruciating.