Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

zundfolge posted:

Helped a friend pull a cylinder head today and I swear my mood has improved a bunch as a result of the manual labor. If junkyard therapy isn't a thing it should be.
Even if it's just raking leaves or a simple oil change doing something with visible results is very satisfying. People look at me like I'm crazy when I show them my usual weekend list with 4-6 hours of 'manual labor' type work but it keeps me sane. The last week at work was fun because it was lifting and moving heavy poo poo around.

Only animal we've hit with the race car so far is a turtle that got kicked up by another team, took out the kidney grill but no other damage. Still think they should have just done a caution lap, dang turtle was very very slowly crossing the track for at least 45 minutes.

Friend had his annual Thanksgiving feast yesterday with a smoked turkey. He messed up and put it in upside down for the first 6 or so hours then we flipped it for the last three, holy poo poo it was amazing. He's going to be cooking all turkeys this way from now on. By far the best turkey I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, we didn't kill it; we just swept it up off of the track.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Sigh... Finally got Windows 10 to work and now it won't connect to my WiFi. So annoying. Just work dammit! Everything worked on my laptop right away when I upgraded.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

I've been in a few datacenters that had internal links using fiber instead of twisted pair, I'm assuming for bandwidth purposes because none of them were large enough to require fiber for long runs. I'm sure it would be less expensive to install a 10 GbE switch and run CAT-7 in such a situation.

If all the needed was 10GbE and it was a fairly new install, yes. But not that long ago the only way to do 10GbE was fiber, and often it's still a logical choice if there are plans to increase throughput later (those of us who build out datacenters hate this, because that kind of infrastructure should be put in place once and never touched again, but sometimes you got to do what you can do within the bounds of the budget you've been given).

Also, if the runs are between floors or even rooms (which are often completely different power distribution that may be not be bonded to a common grounding system) fibre is a much better plan. Nothing like getting shocked improperly grounded STP because of the electrical potential between a few floors. Actually that's probably better than trying to figure out why the link is throwing so many errors to begin with - at least the problem has made itself obvious at that point.

some texas redneck posted:

I'm pretty sure 40 is on copper now (CAT7, maybe CAT6A too?), but for pretty short distances.

Cat 8 (30m) or twinax (7m). You can do 7m of 100 over twinax copper as well. I've never seen any of this in the wild, only at trade shows.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

People look at me like I'm crazy when I show them my usual weekend list with 4-6 hours of 'manual labor' type work but it keeps me sane. The last week at work was fun because it was lifting and moving heavy poo poo around.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My parents stopped by with more turkey soup and some baller rear end Allegra D. I felt amazing within taking it and for some reason I have a gently caress ton of energy now. I went from laying on the couch sick as a dog an hour ago to running around cleaning the house and lifting weights.

Windows 10 upgrade hosed up my computer. I tried every walk through to fix the WiFi issues abd nothing worked. Now its just frozen when I try to right-click on the desktop. POS.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My parents stopped by with more turkey soup and some baller rear end Allegra D. I felt amazing within taking it and for some reason I have a gently caress ton of energy now. I went from laying on the couch sick as a dog an hour ago to running around cleaning the house and lifting weights.

Windows 10 upgrade hosed up my computer. I tried every walk through to fix the WiFi issues abd nothing worked. Now its just frozen when I try to right-click on the desktop. POS.

The "for some reason" is that allegra D is probably a stimulant.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

The "for some reason" is that allegra D is probably a stimulant.

It's sudafed.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Geirskogul posted:

It's sudafed.

It's got Pseudoephedrine in it. So, ya, it's a stimulant.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

:perfect: kind of want to print that huge for the garage gym.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The Giants just hosed me again!!!! Every week, loving DICKS!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Fart Pipe posted:

The Giants just hosed me again!!!! Every week, loving DICKS!

They do what they do :haw:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

They do what they do :haw:

Im a Pats fan so theyve been loving me big time for a long time, haha. Fuckers.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

2 of my roomies are Giants fans. They are so pissed. Their coach really hosed them this week

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

:perfect: kind of want to print that huge for the garage gym.
You can see the artist's details watermarked, see what resolution they could do for you?

Also:

I showed it to my mate and his only comment was "Valalalalhalla"

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 6, 2015

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I think my GTP is finally hosed for good. The tranny let go on the way home from work last week. The old girl has 180k on it. The engine still runs as good as ever but its got some other problems aside from the tranny. The suspension needs, well pretty much everything. Struts, tie rods, ball joints and the abs leads are all hosed too. Also due for plugs and wires. The shop also said the water pump is on its way out the last time I had it in.

So... Yeah, might be time to let the old girl go. I'm gonna miss it. Especially that 3800 sound. I like to describe it as grummmbledy-tickatick-WHEEEEEEE.

My brother manages the dealer that it's currently sitting at. They're going to check it out and confirm the tranny situation tomorrow I think. I still have a modicum of hope that it could be something electrical or at the very least something that won't involve replacing the trans.

When I spoke to my brother I asked him what he has on his lot that's comparable to my Pontiac. He's got a 2014 Fusion Titanium for $21k. It's pretty much loaded and has the 2.0 ecoboost.

http://www.wernerbrosauto.com/vehicle/185076168

I've never been much of a Ford guy but I do like the look of this car. I haven't driven it yet but my internet research is telling me good things about the drive. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any glaring issues I should be aware of?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

When I spoke to my brother I asked him what he has on his lot that's comparable to my Pontiac. He's got a 2014 Fusion Titanium for $21k. It's pretty much loaded and has the 2.0 ecoboost.

http://www.wernerbrosauto.com/vehicle/185076168

I've never been much of a Ford guy but I do like the look of this car. I haven't driven it yet but my internet research is telling me good things about the drive. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any glaring issues I should be aware of?

I didn't do a full check, but just googling the vin shows this site that claims it was sold at the beginning of 2015 at auction... if that's true, there's a bad story with it... https://www.vininspect.com/en/check-vin-number-and-get-the-vehicle-history-report/checkout/3FA6P0K92ER396060?a_aid=530260885dcd1&ch=code10

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Holy poo poo.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

meatpimp posted:

I didn't do a full check, but just googling the vin shows this site that claims it was sold at the beginning of 2015 at auction... if that's true, there's a bad story with it... https://www.vininspect.com/en/check-vin-number-and-get-the-vehicle-history-report/checkout/3FA6P0K92ER396060?a_aid=530260885dcd1&ch=code10

Oh man, I'll have to ask him about that. I'd hate to think my brother would try to sell me a turd. Is it possible it was just repo-ed or something? I'm not really familiar with the reasons why a car that new would go to auction.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Oh man, I'll have to ask him about that. I'd hate to think my brother would try to sell me a turd. Is it possible it was just repo-ed or something? I'm not really familiar with the reasons why a car that new would go to auction.

Repo, traded in on a new car, etc?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

A number of reasons, with high miles like that and at auction within a year of new, I'd guess rental.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

You can see the artist's details watermarked, see what resolution they could do for you?
Good call, I'll get in touch with him.

Anyone have any info on real basic subcompact cars? Friend is moving to CA tomorrow and she'll be car shopping Thursday/Friday at CarMax and the surrounding dealership's used inventory. Right now she's looking at Chevy Spark, Mazda 2 or Honda Fit. Not looking for a ton of features, just something small and reliable but an aux in or bluetooth would be nice. I'm reading through the usual review sites but some first hand experience is always good. Budget is around $10k maybe up to 12.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Autocheck doesn't show any funny business, just a normal lein

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And now the Pats are making GBS threads the bed and my other roommate is practically crying. Football is pretty fun when it pisses off everyone around you.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Screw the spark or the fit.
Fiesta or Mazda 2. They're basically the same car but the fiesta looks way nicer.

If you want something cheap like the spark, go all the way and get a kia Rio/Hyundai accent. Dunno what warranty Nissan is offering but a coworker's appliance Versa was $10k new and got 45mpg without effort.

Fit is overpriced and build quality sucks. Spark is a Daewoo and has the worst interior out of all of them IMHO.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

InitialDave posted:

This is a good post.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

opengl128 posted:

Autocheck doesn't show any funny business, just a normal lein

That's good! I have no idea whether the random site that said it was auctioned is correct or not. If the Autocheck is right, then it looks legit... someone just put a poo poo-ton of miles on it in a year.

That's good, because to have that many miles, you need to be doing mostly freeway, which is the easiest of miles.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

mafoose posted:

Fiesta or Mazda 2. They're basically the same car but the fiesta looks way nicer.

If you want something cheap like the spark, go all the way and get a kia Rio/Hyundai accent. Dunno what warranty Nissan is offering but a coworker's appliance Versa was $10k new and got 45mpg without effort.

Fit is overpriced and build quality sucks. Spark is a Daewoo and has the worst interior out of all of them IMHO.

My bro recently got a new Rio and it gets pretty baller gas mileage.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Portland Timbers just won the MLS cup. 2015 is wrapping up nicely.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My bro recently got a new Rio and it gets pretty baller gas mileage.

My mom has a new Rio hatchback and it gets good 30 something gas mileage and fairly roomy for what it is. Me my wife and three kids take it for trips to Wisconsin often and it's pretty nice for what it is.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

mafoose posted:

Don't get the versa hatch. Its probably one of the most uncomfortable vehicles I've driven. While it is amusing to wind that tiny engine all the way out and run flat out everywhere and get 30mpg, its just not a comfortable vehicle.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

Don't get the versa hatch. Its probably one of the most uncomfortable vehicles I've driven. While it is amusing to wind that tiny engine all the way out and run flat out everywhere and get 30mpg, its just not a comfortable vehicle.

Which Versa hatch? I really liked the old Versa hatch before the redesign into the Versa Note. That is a lovely car.

If your friend finds a Honda Fit and likes it, she should probably buy it. They don't seem to last long on the car lots.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
GO PANTHERS

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

GO PANTHERS

Dude they are a MACHINE this year, goddamn

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

mafoose posted:

Seconding this, Fiesta or Mazda 2. They're great.

Adiabatic posted:

GO PANTHERS

YAY SPORTS DO THE THING WIN THE POINTS

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mafoose posted:

That isn't actually that true. They're on the same platform, but there difference are pretty big.
The Fiesta is nicer (but smaller) inside and less "happy" outside. The fiesta has more power, but weighs significantly more (resulting in the Mazda 2 being slightly faster in magazine test). The drive trains are completely different.
The Mazda as mentioned is lighter, has better steering feel, handles better, and isn't banned by SCCA as a rollover risk. It also has a great shiftier action (let down by a weird clutch feel).
The ford probably won't turn into rust in 3 years.
If you don't go with 3 pedals, they're both iffy: the Mazda has a hilariously old 4-speed automatic and the Ford has a hilariously finicky dual clutch transmission.

The differences are fairly significant and show how even with a shared platform, you can go way different ways and get a different result. The Fiesta is for the person who wants a comfortable commuter. The Mazda 2 is for the guy who wants a miata but needs a hatchback.

(The above ignores the Fiesta ST, which is awesome and everyone should buy one)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adiabatic posted:

GO PANTHERS

Penrith Panthers dont play till March next year and they suck anyway

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

Which Versa hatch? I really liked the old Versa hatch before the redesign into the Versa Note. That is a lovely car.

Yeah, we've got an absolutely base model one at work. Its a work vehicle, so I normally don't give a poo poo about comfort, but I would not have one for my personal vehicle. Though on the other hand, I have run around with ~50 gallons of hydraulic fluid in the hatch before, so it is somewhat useful.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
:woop: Cygnus is on its way to the ISS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone able to run a carfax?

• Locked thread