Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Zwiebel posted:

I don't think we can blame Square Enix for that. They published it, sure, but they didn't really develop it, did they?
Because if Thief qualifies, it would be more prudent to mention something like the Drakengard games, which are kind of bad in the gameplay department.

Not really being serious but it was developed by Eidos, aka Square Enix Europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 have been sighted in the Steam database.

giffan posted:

Maybe they'll rake in enough money to do a proper FF9 port, then I can die happy.

Most of the remakes/HD ports were greenlit by former staff that worked on the game. For example, Hiromichi Tanaka pushed for the FF3 remake that was eventually made on the DS.

FFIX is in a limbo because it was a passion project by Hironobu Sakaguchi with Hiroyuki Ito directing it. Neither are in a position to push a port or remake.

Oxxidation posted:

Haven't seen much in the way of shock here, though I'm sure people elsewhere are raising torches. SE hasn't put out a big-budget turn-based title since X, right? That's reserved for their handhelds these days.

What other big publishers have recently made a AAA console game with turn-based gameplay and high production values? I can think of South Park The Stick of Truth by Ubisoft and Obsidian.

We've seen some budget releases like Child of Light by Ubisoft. I guess if we extend the definition of AAA then we can include the Pokemon and Mario RPGs by Nintendo.

On the PC, there's the Civilization series and XCOM by Firaxis. I think of CCG like Hearthstone as their own genre.

How about ATB style where actions are chosen and occur at set intervals? ...Madden NFL by EA Sports? Out of the top selling games at retail in 2014, only Madden 15 was the game in which a significant portion of the game consisted of executing actions of a menu during brief pauses in play. The rest were shooters, open world action games, Smash Bros 4, and FIFA.

Zwiebel posted:

It's probably just some people rekindling their interest after not having paid attention to the series for a while. Which is natural for a remake, given that the entire point is to appeal to nostalgia. And the people that are being fellated by a Final Fantasy VII remake might not have given a poo poo about the extended Lightning Waifu Wars or even the late Playstation 2 Final Fantasy XII. Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV don't really factor into the consideration, because they are MMOs.

So it doesn't really seem that strange to me that some people consider the direction to be strange. A lot of people aren't really Final Fantasy fans either, but much rather fans of a specific Final Fantasy (which is why every Final Fantasy is the best/worst).

I don't think we can blame Square Enix for that. They published it, sure, but they didn't really develop it, did they?
Because if Thief qualifies, it would be more prudent to mention something like the Drakengard games, which are kind of bad in the gameplay department.

Thief 4 was published by Square Enix and developed by Eidos Montreal. The game was officially announced a month after Square-Enix finished acquiring Eidos in April 2009. While Thief has a very troubled development cycle, many of those years happened under Square-Enix's watch. The game was rebooted several times and the final result is several of those concepts and assets stitched together. So it was a failure of SE the publisher rather than SE the Japanese development studio.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tempo 119 posted:

Not really being serious but it was developed by Eidos, aka Square Enix Europe

Yes but on the one hand they also did the Tomb Raider games (however you feel about those) on the other hand, they also did Deus-Ex HR.

so you know, Teams.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tae posted:

Yoko Taro is basically one of the Square Enix's execs vanity projects. Even now, because there's literally no reason other than vanity that Nier is getting another game and contracting the revengence team for the extra mile.

Isn't the story that SE wanted to work on a game with Platinum because Platinum is hot poo poo with a great streak for great games and asked Platinum what they wanted to make, with Platinum going, "We want Nier loving 2"?

I don't know how we keep getting these games but it's definitely fine with me.

Also when is SE going to remember the PC exists and announce some of their in-development poo poo for it rather than port stuff they've already released years ago (or months in Type-0's case).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ffx will not have a skip cutscene option, I bet money on it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

giffan posted:

Maybe they'll rake in enough money to do a proper FF9 port, then I can die happy.

ff9 ps3 compatible remaster, also a way for me to port the save file i've been playing literally sinec the game came out without ever finishing it to my ps3, thanks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
hell is getting a psx and final fantasy ix WHEN YOU WANTED VII DAD and NO loving MEMORY CARD

FUCKER

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ff9 not slow as gently caress edition please

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

I will say it's utterly hilarious to me when people act shocked by a new Final Fantasy game being action based rather than turn based. It's just... have you not been looking at the series since FFX? Because FFXI, XII, XIV and to a degree all three of the XIII games. Made it clear that's where they've been taking the games. Yet I swear people legitimately act shocked, as if this is an entirely new direction for the series.

i qould be ecstatic if every FF game going forward was just the FF-13 combat system but i don't think it's really that surprising that people would expect the FF7 remake to have the FF7 combat system

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
FFIX never got ported to PC because it didn't have a PC version to start with, while the others did. The ones that only had mobile ports just got those on Steam. IX wasn't on pc or mobile so a steam port will probably never happen :(

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

mandatory lesbian posted:

i qould be ecstatic if every FF game going forward was just the FF-13 combat system but i don't think it's really that surprising that people would expect the FF7 remake to have the FF7 combat system

I don't think anyone really even expected it, it's just something that some people hoped might happen.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Excels posted:

FFIX never got ported to PC because it didn't have a PC version to start with, while the others did. The ones that only had mobile ports just got those on Steam. IX wasn't on pc or mobile so a steam port will probably never happen :(

Still seems like it wouldn't be hard for Square to just take a rom of the original game and write an executable that just runs it inside of an emulator. Although I might be underestimating how hard it is to write an emulator.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Spiritus Nox posted:

Although I might be underestimating how hard it is to write an emulator.

You really are.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The only lovely thing about the FF7 remake to me is I love the original and it's saddled with the worst English translation in the series. I would pay a lot of money for a War of the Lions-style revamp of the original game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Literally The Worst posted:

hell is getting a psx and final fantasy ix WHEN YOU WANTED VII DAD and NO loving MEMORY CARD

FUCKER

Your father is a wise man.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I got a PS2 and FF9 as my first game, but no memory card so I had play 12 straight hours into disk 2 before my mom brought home one.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Paperhouse posted:

I don't think anyone really even expected it, it's just something that some people hoped might happen.

Exactly what direction they were going to go with FF7R combat was an unknown quantity. Even now, they're saying it's "less action based than it looks" so I'm just like "ok well we'll talk when I see a demo."

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The menu, which could very well be a mock-up, has defend as an option, so it could have "turns" to some degree. I prefer blocking with a dedicated button, personally.

Aside from "defend" all of the other options are the same as in Kingdom Hearts, so that could mean something. Not really sure what, especially considering KH is purely action.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Tae posted:

I got a PS2 and FF9 as my first game, but no memory card so I had play 12 straight hours into disk 2 before my mom brought home one.

i owned the game but my friend owned the ps1. he willingly watched me play through the whole game. it was a fun childhood experience

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Excels posted:

i owned the game but my friend owned the ps1. he willingly watched me play through the whole game. it was a fun childhood experience

Doesn't that one have co-op combat? You dick.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tae posted:

Good job FF9 is pretty easy.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Any thoughts on Final Fantasy Explorers?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Tae posted:

Did you get extremely mad for a moment when Beatrix wipes out your whole party at the end of the first disc

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paperhouse posted:

Did you get extremely mad for a moment when Beatrix wipes out your whole party at the end of the first disc

Well she doesn't legit wipe you, she just reduces everyone to 1HP. The feeling is a little different, especially when you compare it to lovely forced-defeat scenarios like in Star Ocean 2 and 3.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

I would be happy if FFVII's remake had LR's combat except switching between three different characters rather than costumes.

That doesn't mean I don't also want customisable costumes. I want Honeybee Inn Cloud, Doughnut Cloud, and a mode that changes every character in the game to Sephiroth, fully voice acted.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Take it a step further, I want Doughnut Cloud in his Wall Market kimono.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I can't believe I only just remembered this:

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
FF7 remake looked good though still really early obviously. Wanna know more about how it plays, though. I'm gonna speculate that despite it being a real-time battle system they'll probably keep a lot of the stuff around that battle system similar, like materia and how it works.

What I'm even more interested in, though, is what the world is going to be like. Doing Midgar is easy because it's a self-contained location, but what about when you leave Midgar?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mischitary posted:

FF7 remake looked good though still really early obviously. Wanna know more about how it plays, though. I'm gonna speculate that despite it being a real-time battle system they'll probably keep a lot of the stuff around that battle system similar, like materia and how it works.

What I'm even more interested in, though, is what the world is going to be like. Doing Midgar is easy because it's a self-contained location, but what about when you leave Midgar?

FF7 always had a super hodge podge world, probably due to the development team going nuts with this new fangled 3D.

That's going to become all the more apparent in a remake. Not sure how well it'll hold up.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Everywhere outside of Midgar will be the late 90s CGI backgrounds from the original, but scaled even more up - if that's possible at this point.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

in a shocking twist, all the towns besides midgar retain their original scale of "3 or 4 buildings and an inn" in glorious HD

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Wait, what? FFVIIR will apparently be multi-part?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Well gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh. I bet Midgar is all of Part 1 then.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

well, after deus ex the fall i trust square to fulfill their promises

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bringing back the multiple disks experience that everyone is nostalgic for.

Only the disks come out 2-3 years between each other.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

rip ff7r

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Watch them make the Wutai filler episode pre-order DLC or CE content some poo poo like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Part 1: MIdgar Rising
Part 2: Cloud's Flashback
Part 3: On the road to Junon!
Part 4: Sneaking into Junon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ImpAtom posted: