Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm reading it as at least part of Soma acting completely oblivious these last few chapters was just to piss Eizen off. At the very least, though Soma had nothing like a full-proof strategy of guaranteeing a fair fight part of his game plan was always trying to goad Eizen into accepting the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Based on the way he acts around people outside of cooking, I'm pretty sure Soma is oblivious. I can't see the guy who never noticed that Aldini thinks of him as a rival or that Erina looks down on him suddenly realizing that Eizan's arrogance could be useful to him. Soma probably planned to express himself through his food, like he always does.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Yeah the last 2 chapters have set up that Eizan was doing a specific thing to make the ingredient's flavor come through, and Soma wasn't next chapter we get the twist that he did a different thing that works instead.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Death Bot posted:

Yeah the last 2 chapters have set up that Eizan was doing a specific thing to make the ingredient's flavor come through, and Soma wasn't next chapter we get the twist that he did a different thing that works instead.

But that's just how he wins every shokugeki. The twist in this one was supposed to be winning a rigged shokugeki.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I literally laughed out loud when I got to THAT FACE so in my humble opinion this manga owns.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clarste posted:

Based on the way he acts around people outside of cooking, I'm pretty sure Soma is oblivious. I can't see the guy who never noticed that Aldini thinks of him as a rival or that Erina looks down on him suddenly realizing that Eizan's arrogance could be useful to him. Soma probably planned to express himself through his food, like he always does.

He's somewhat aware that Erina dislikes him, at least? I do remember him mentioning how he always feels tired after talking to her / she's a handful or something like that. I don't think he's so much oblivious as he's more like "Yeah whatever, blondie". Same goes for the goofier Aldini: He's aware that Takumi is a ginormous dorko, so he likes to tease him and such.

I think part of the appeal Soma has is that, while he's still a textbook shounen protag and all that on the surface, this dude did work on a family-oriented restaurant, so he does have some degree of awareness of what makes the people tick.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium posted:

I wanna eat that chicken skin gyoza

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

But that's just how he wins every shokugeki. The twist in this one was supposed to be winning a rigged shokugeki.

I thought that was throwing Eizan off and with that the Judges.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Oh, he's certainly oblivious in most respects but he's still kind of a dick and pretty much goads everyone he's ever faced and I like to think that that's intentional at least. But then again, I suppose Soma could have just been attacking Eizen's pride because that's what he usually does rather than out of any sort of secret plan to make it into a fair fight.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh, he's certainly oblivious in most respects but he's still kind of a dick and pretty much goads everyone he's ever faced and I like to think that that's intentional at least. But then again, I suppose Soma could have just been attacking Eizen's pride because that's what he usually does rather than out of any sort of secret plan to make it into a fair fight.

I think he's just arrogant as gently caress because everyone who isn't Tadokoro or Hayama's fake mom at the school is arrogant as gently caress.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I literally laughed out loud when I got to THAT FACE so in my humble opinion this manga owns.

I feel the same way. This manga is epic.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Death Bot posted:

The entire point of the "new system" is there is only 1 way to do things and anything else is garbage. Souma is the exception that allows him to make the same thing but using exotic and unique methods that shock the establishment by being as good as they are.

Hilariously, it still re-affirms that the new plan for the school to brute force train the students in the standard/best methods is vastly better because 99% of them will wash out under the old system and even in the new tyranny the absolute top tier best of their class individuals can find a way to stand out which is no different then before, only now they don't end up expelling dozens of others during their rise to the top.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

The entire point of the "new system" is there is only 1 way to do things and anything else is garbage. Souma is the exception that allows him to make the same thing but using exotic and unique methods that shock the establishment by being as good as they are.

Hilariously, it still re-affirms that the new plan for the school to brute force train the students in the standard/best methods is vastly better because 99% of them will wash out under the old system and even in the new tyranny the absolute top tier best of their class individuals can find a way to stand out which is no different then before, only now they don't end up expelling dozens of others during their rise to the top.

Well it's a matter of passing and being like everyone else or washing out and being unique. They haven't shown much of how the new system is so bad beyond a few panels, but it's shown that any student with a particular specialty is to conform to the new style or leave. Think art school where instead of allowing people to develop their own style while holding them to be technically correct in their methods, the system is basically a diploma mill where as long as you can make everything look like the prescribed drawings, you can pass.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

no there will be no individuals because they'll be learning rote receipes instead of cooking theory and if you don't think the next group of elite 10 will be hand picked to fit the gourmet mold even better then your crazy. this is a system to produce boring cuisine and a poo poo ton of gourmet line cooks.

it's ok to fail people not everyone needs to pass should all restaurants be subsidized too? cant let anyone fail.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Keep the Gubbermint out of my cooking school, you commies!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Old school had flaws. Unpolished gems like Megumi couldn't truly shine in the environment.

New school also has flaws. It stifles creativity. Won't even let a dude smoke ingredients the way he wants.

Hell, back during the Training Camp arc, Shinomiya would have expelled Megumi for using a different recipe, but her changes were actually a brilliant improvisation to deal with lovely ingredients. I feel like this is a showing of what the new school policy is like. You're pigeonholed into a single method, and any attempt at innovation or personal growth is just struck down.

Hell, there are even conflicting beliefs and ideologies among the Elite 10 themselves. Tsubasa (Rank 1) brings the ingredients to life and doesn't put himself in his food at all to ensure the purest taste, while Kuga (Rank 8) overwhelms his dishes with spice and heat. Perhaps too much, since the other Chinese cuisine girl was unhappy that Kuga basically took over the Chinese cooking club and made it all about his type of cooking.

This just reminds me that early Shinomiya was a loving jerk. Christ, the dude was a prick.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
And now he is the most popular prick with his own spinoff manga.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Compendium posted:

And now he is the most popular prick with his own spinoff manga.

Probably helps that he got a slice of humble pie even though he handily won.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I wonder what Shinomiya would think of the new Totsuki?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

If it was in place during the Hell Camp (let's assume that'd still a thing) it'd be perfect to feed into his being a complete asshat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

He'd hate it because Soma and Megumi taught him that he needs to continuously evolve and improve himself to be the best chef he can be. And if he gets complacent and accepts that his cooking has reached its peak then he is a failure as a cook.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I mean, let's be fair, Azami's vision makes more actual sense than BATTLE SCHOOL.

You never see it, but every once in a while it's pointed out that they do in fact do regular high school poo poo like Japanese and Math.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
funnily enough we've only seen one person get expelled through battle and that's after the rules change

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Elfgames posted:

funnily enough we've only seen one person get expelled through battle and that's after the rules change

True irony*.

*I do not know what irony is.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You can only be expelled via Shokugeki if you agree to those stakes after all. Now obviously there's plenty of ways to goad or corner someone into that, but most people at the school seemed to be more focused on making their own cooking better instead of orchestrating massive dick moves against their peers.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel sorry for skewer senpai. Dude had a club, loved doing what he did, tried to rail against an unjust system, and then failed cause he wasn't the MC.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was a good club, too. Won 2nd place for its area during the festival.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

paragon1 posted:

You can only be expelled via Shokugeki if you agree to those stakes after all. Now obviously there's plenty of ways to goad or corner someone into that, but most people at the school seemed to be more focused on making their own cooking better instead of orchestrating massive dick moves against their peers.

The real problem is that the school doesn't seem to provide any support for failing students (a problem that probably isn't going to change in the new regime) as well as the special insta fail summer camp.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Elfgames posted:

The real problem is that the school doesn't seem to provide any support for failing students (a problem that probably isn't going to change in the new regime) as well as the special insta fail summer camp.

They've mentioned that simply enrolling in the High School Division is enough to raise your standing as a chef and ensures your employment at least as a line cook. The old system turned out 900 line cooks and 100 head chefs per class. Azami's system is going to graduate 990 line cooks and 10 head chefs.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And that's line chefs with the exact same methods drilled into them too, btb.

So you have that many chefs trying to get to X many jobs who will then poison the culture of any restaurant they work in with the New School's philosophy (and/or be rendered unemployable due to that mentality making them incompatible with the positions).

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 7, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elfgames posted:

A lot of this is baggage from the initial concept where a ton of the stuff about the school were way more amped up as "INSANE COOKING BATTLE SCHOOL," and didn't really consider that they'd have to actually walk back what graduating from the school actually means, what they teach, etc. I understand why it happens, but stuff like "you fail out of high school for having the wrong shampoo" comes off way more idiotic than anything they'd do right now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's worth noting that the pre-Azami school has never failed anyone for simply being worse at cooking than someone else. They've always attempted to enforce a minimum acceptable level that theoretically everyone could pass but in practice most people wouldn't. The one exception to this was Shinomiya's "spoiled vegetables" test, but that was both a secret test and not really approved of by his peers.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Hell, there are even conflicting beliefs and ideologies among the Elite 10 themselves. Tsubasa (Rank 1) brings the ingredients to life and doesn't put himself in his food at all to ensure the purest taste, while Kuga (Rank 8) overwhelms his dishes with spice and heat. Perhaps too much, since the other Chinese cuisine girl was unhappy that Kuga basically took over the Chinese cooking club and made it all about his type of cooking.

Slight correction: out of the eight regional cuisines in China, Kuga specializes in Szechuan cooking which is known for its "ma la" flavor. The busty Chinese chick was just pissed that the other seven styles weren't represented.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Elfgames posted:

the entire school is founded on food libertarianism and the primary antagonist is food communism

correction: the primary antagonist is late-stage food libertarianism under the guise of food communism, in which those at the top have kicked the ladder out from underneath everybody else, to keep their own positions secure and generate a large work force of unthreatening cooks to staff their elite signature restaurants. one or two generations down the line the drift to food fascism will be completed

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 8, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ShadowCatboy posted:

Slight correction: out of the eight regional cuisines in China, Kuga specializes in Szechuan cooking which is known for its "ma la" flavor. The busty Chinese chick was just pissed that the other seven styles weren't represented.

Ah, kay kay. My memory's pretty hazy.

But that brings to mind another difference between Tsubasa and Kuga.

Tsubasa handles all the cooking himself, whereas Kuga has this whole troop of muscular baldies who follow his recipes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Elfgames posted:

Those were features of the old regime, not bugs. Especially the summer camp. If you fail you fail, and your failure makes the success of those who make it all the more valuable. That's the whole philosophy behind the model of the school that Erina's grandad espouses on Day 1. Azami is basically throwing out the core concept that the Tootsuki brand's strength is built on. It'd be like Wal-mart deciding they were only going to sell hand-crafted locally sourced luxury goods from now on.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Like your fancy year 3 Tootsuki diploma isn't going to be very impressive if a thousand other people have it instead of ten.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tsubasa handles all the cooking himself, whereas Kuga has this whole troop of muscular baldies who follow his recipes.

That was presumably for the festival. Kuga was trying to optimize quality and quantity while Tsubasa focused solely on quality.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Clarste posted:

It's worth noting that the pre-Azami school has never failed anyone for simply being worse at cooking than someone else. They've always attempted to enforce a minimum acceptable level that theoretically everyone could pass but in practice most people wouldn't. The one exception to this was Shinomiya's "spoiled vegetables" test, but that was both a secret test and not really approved of by his peers.

Actually, it was approved. Gin just forced Shinomiya to accept the unofficial Shokugeki that he was challenged to because he thought Shinomiya could learn something valuable from it (and pull him out of the slump he'd been into for the last years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Xelkelvos posted:

That was presumably for the festival. Kuga was trying to optimize quality and quantity while Tsubasa focused solely on quality.

Not exactly. When you run a fancy restaurant you need to churn out quality and quantity both, but you also need consistency. A restaurant whose flavor changes day to day is one that lacks reliability and potential diners will be unsure as to whether they should visit since they wouldn't know what they're getting. This is in fact what nearly destroyed Shinomiya's career when he first went off to France and his jealous underlings went rogue on him and kept changing the recettes behind his back, and why he was so hardcore adamant about failing Megumi when she altered the vegetable terrine.

The fact that Kuga was training dozens of chefs to work in concert to produce the exact same product is actually pretty important for the restaurant booth he was running. I'm pretty confident he was focused on both making a high quality mapo tofu as well as trying to max out his diners.

P.S. I'll probably make a mapo tofu for a dinner party sometime soon. Will post pics.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 8, 2015