Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Unlock more of the sidequests the more main episodes you pre-order!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Apparently, the PS4 port with the more recent script than the PC version uses Aeris, so they might be trending towards that. You never know.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I can't wait for the game to come out after 7 years but everything is different and Nomura got kicked off the development team in favor of Yoshi-P but also the development team was also completely replaced but somehow Nomura is still working for the company because nobody knows. And FF7 gets released as one game and everyone quietly forgets that it being a multi game series was ever a thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Apparently, the PS4 port with the more recent script than the PC version uses Aeris, so they might be trending towards that. You never know.

The PS4 port just uses the original PC script unaltered. It'd be nice if they retranslated it but nope.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Well they did just release Life Is Strange in five episodes and Hitman will have new stuff added after initial release, so I guess the model is working for Square-Enix.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Gologle posted:

I can't wait for the game to come out after 7 years but everything is different and Nomura got kicked off the development team in favor of Yoshi-P but also the development team was also completely replaced but somehow Nomura is still working for the company because nobody knows. And FF7 gets released as one game and everyone quietly forgets that it being a multi game series was ever a thing.

There's already a precedent for them doing things in an episodic format. There's no way it'd ever be as poorly handled as the way The After Years handled things though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Makes sense. There's a dramatically larger amount of work required to make a PS4 game than a PS1 game, and expectations have changed dramatically. A game where you spend the first act in a single city then start trekking out into the larger world is going to be a lot different now that you can't just construct your world map out of simple polygons and have the player romp around, towering over town icons. They probably looked at the work it would take to recreate all of FF7 up to modern expectations and determined that it wouldn't be feasible in a single title without massive compromises, and decided to Kiseki it.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 7, 2015

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
then that begs the question of how much it will cost to play the whole fuckin thing to its completion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

then that begs the question of how much it will cost to play the whole fuckin thing to its completion.

It depends.

The most optimistic answer is that they'll release each episode at a discount with a full-priced bundle being available, somewhere between 20 to 40 per game, probably close to 40.
The least optimistic answer is at bare minimum $120, probably closer to $200.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It depends on how they handle it. They've said nothing other than that FF7R will be "multi-part", not elaborating on whether than means there will be a single "Final Fantasy VII Remake" that has episodes released over the course of a year or two that you can buy a season pass or whatever for, or if there will be multiple full-fledged releases, like with the Trails series.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Final Fantasy 7, being the cusp and the very core essence of the Final Fantasy experience, deserves to be no less than $1,500 U.S. dollars, one hundred dollarinos for each entry as of when the first installment will be released.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Of course, Optimisim here, it's just 3 parts, for 3 discs

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Motto posted:

Makes sense. There's a dramatically larger amount of work required to make a PS4 game than a PS1 game, and expectations have changed dramatically. A game where you spend the first act in a single city then start trekking out into the larger world is going to be a lot different now that you can't just construct your world map out of simple polygons and have the player romp around, towering over town icons. They probably looked at the work it would take to recreate all of FF7 up to modern expectations and determined that it wouldn't be feasible in a single title without massive compromises, and decided to Kiseki it.

I think the big worry for a lot of people right now is if it's still the globe trotting adventure they've been dreaming about for the last few months only we know now that the progression in the game ends after certain events in the story transpire? Or is it that there is in fact no world map and you're instead going from set piece to set piece like in, say, Crisis Core?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I expect nothing good from this news.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Cloud being in Smash Bros actually is part I of the new re-imagined FF7.

The game is being ported to the NX and instead of Vincent and Yuffie as extra characters it's Little Mac and Zero Suit Samus.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 7, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Gologle posted:

This is a bit optimistic. Man, SE building us up just so we can really feel the fall.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I can't wait for Cloud Returns Final Fantasy

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
The original game was already split over several discs, with the story offering some semblance of separation from each story arc as you progressed from one disc to the next. So I don't see them breaking it up into episodes as being all that big of a deal.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Esroc posted:

The original game was already split over several discs, with the story offering some semblance of separation from each story arc as you progressed from one disc to the next. So I don't see them breaking it up into episodes as being all that big of a deal.

The way the press release words it makes the situation sound even more unique than it just being a case of "Episode 1 = Midgar or as far as the end of Disc 1":

quote:

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.

What "unique experience" means is still up in the air at this point.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
give me an entire episode of the Fort Condor mini-game

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Viewtiful Jew posted:

There's already a precedent for them doing things in an episodic format. There's no way it'd ever be as poorly handled as the way The After Years handled things though.
Huh? What problems TAY had the episodic structure wasn't one of them.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

What "unique experience" means is still up in the air at this point.

I imagine that's just PR-speak, since it would be really weird to have the gameplay drastically change between parts.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Well, that's one way to get it out in our lifetimes. I'm guessing the episodes will cover just the big set pieces of the game and leave out everything in-between that's too expensive to recreate. If Cyberconnect2 is actually developing this, I expect a linear fanservice heavy action game that is lean on content but high on production values.

It's not the first time they've shipped an episodic game. They tried it a few times in the past and the recent Life is Strange series by DONTNOD was a success for them.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So are we getting Steve Burton-voiced Honey Bee Inn or what?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sunning posted:

Well, that's one way to get it out in our lifetimes. I'm guessing the episodes will cover just the big set pieces of the game and leave out everything in-between that's too expensive to recreate.

If that's the tack they take then I won't even bother, it's the slow bits in between that makes these games worthwhile.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Onmi posted:

Of course, Optimisim here, it's just 3 parts, for 3 discs

The 3rd disc was pretty much just the last dungeon, though.

I wonder if they can get away with expanding the Midgar part of the story and having the whole first part take place there.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Oxxidation posted:

If that's the tack they take then I won't even bother, it's the slow bits in between that makes these games worthwhile.

We shouldn't be surprised. Wada told us so in 2010:

quote:

According to Square Enix honcho Yoichi Wada, they are often asked about a Final Fantasy VII remake. It took Square Enix between three and four years to get recently released Final Fantasy XIII to a high level of quality. "To get FFVII to something like FFXII," the exec tweeted, "it would take ten times as long".

http://kotaku.com/5551606/how-long-would-a-final-fantasy-vii-remake-take

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive heard that every copy of ff7 will ship with a bottle of anthrax

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I will be ten times as patient

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sunning posted:

Well, that's one way to get it out in our lifetimes. I'm guessing the episodes will cover just the big set pieces of the game and leave out everything in-between that's too expensive to recreate. If Cyberconnect2 is actually developing this, I expect a linear fanservice heavy action game that is lean on content but high on production values.

It's not the first time they've shipped an episodic game. They tried it a few times in the past and the recent Life is Strange series by DONTNOD was a success for them.

Oh god, that would be so bad. So, so bad. What's even the point of FF7 without the in-between bits? That's where all the personality lives.

...this is exactly what's going to happen, isn't it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

Oh god, that would be so bad. So, so bad. What's even the point of FF7 without the in-between bits? That's where all the personality lives.

it won't be what's going to happen.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Harrow posted:

Isn't that what XIII was?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Republicans posted:

:smith:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Republicans posted:

13 had a lot of in between bits, in fact, it could have done with quite a few less

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

13 had in-between bits but they were largely kinda pointless since the narrative of 'fugitives on the run' meant there wasn't much actual interacting with npcs or anything, just walking around abandoned cities or maybe meeting hope's dad once

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
You know what was a really "unique experience"? Dirge of Cerberus.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

All my excitement has died, but I'll still wait for more information before I bury the hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Terry Glenn posted:

You know what was a really "unique experience"? Dirge of Cerberus.

I eagerly await Paul Eiding ranting about how he's makingRed XIII gently caress Aerith FOR SCIENCE!

Not so eagerly awaiting any potential Deepground or Genesis cameos.

Man, the Cloud's Past segment would make even less sense if it tried to incorporate Crisis Core. It's already a jumbled mess of Cloud's and Zack's memories but now you're trying to insert a character Cloud doesn't know poo poo about. I eagerly await Barret stopping the flashback by angrily demanding Cloud explain who this guy is that just randomly showed up during the Nibelheim Reactor part and is never mentioned before or after this.

Barret Reviews: Cloud Strife's Fanfiction. 3/10. Notable criticism "characters appear and disappear randomly" and "anticlimactic ending."