Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I thought it would be neat to have a fortress built around a big open central shaft with the rooms carved into the walls around it. People would occasionally just randomly fall off, which started as just minor scrapes and bruises but started getting more extreme as I dug the hole deeper. I had a wall around the rim at the surface for security, but towards the end of year 2 I got a zombie siege. Almost all the zombies were kept out by the wall, but one got through and ripped its way through my garbage military. Turns out being in combat makes dwarves incredibly dumb, as suddenly climbing the walls and leaping about to get at the zombie sounded like a good idea. That zombie eventually died under a pile of dwarves. The next zombie must have been a real badass in life, because they got in, fell to the bottom of the hole, lost one arm and one leg in the impact, and then proceeded to wander the fortress beating people to death with a bow.

Fuckin' RIP Testcudgels. Don't build your fortresses in the walls of a big open shaft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Or build a floor at the bottom with a material softer than stone. Try to make a floor out of Featherwood, Candlenut, or Adamantium, and a terrifying plummet down a chasm can have a safe landing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Zarikov posted:

I'm not sure I'm up for playing the game too much right now but boy howdy am I enjoying legends now:

Fairy parchment? Either that's some tiny writing, a really large fairy, or they caught a darn lot of them to make it.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
So, like, the Elliot Rodgers manifesto - but written on dozens of laboriously stitched together tanned fairie hides.

I'd keep an eye on Calmeddagger.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Or build a floor at the bottom with a material softer than stone. Try to make a floor out of Featherwood, Candlenut, or Adamantium, and a terrifying plummet down a chasm can have a safe landing.

:stare: Does this really work? I'd never even considered it...

Sure, jump down the giant death-shaft, there's a trampoline at the bottom, I promise! Wheeee!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

:stare: Does this really work? I'd never even considered it...

Sure, jump down the giant death-shaft, there's a trampoline at the bottom, I promise! Wheeee!

The game models fall damage as the character being punched by the floor, so lighter floor materials do less damage.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tenebrais posted:

The game models fall damage as the character being punched by the floor

Which is why my death pits have "Bling, bling, motherfucker" engraved on them. :smug: Nothing like a good old platinum special.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

The game models fall damage as the character being punched by the floor

walking on slade would be harrowing

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Tenebrais posted:

The game models fall damage as the character being punched by the floor, so lighter floor materials do less damage.

It's more of a body tackle by a giant cube, but that's still a good truth to keep in mind.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
To be specific, it's being modeled by the falling creature being hit by a cube the size of the falling creature's body moving at the speed of the creature's fall and made out of the floor's material.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

toady is insane and it's great

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Brb rebuilding my floors with lead blocks.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I thought the floor thing was known since the Shaft of Enlightenment bug was discovered

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

How long is it usually before therapist gets updated for a new version?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Excelzior posted:

I thought the floor thing was known since the Shaft of Enlightenment bug was discovered

Did the floor material affect that, or just the spear?

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

How long is it usually before therapist gets updated for a new version?

Depends on a couple of things. Therapist (and dfhack and most other utilities) work by interfacing with the actual poo poo in memory, so they need to re-map what parts of memory at which offsets does what they want it to do, and that changes each time the base game has an update. Depending on what was in the game update, it could mean having to remap EVERYTHING or just re-find where some familiar-looking structures are. It sounds like a lot of the data structures didn't change too much between 2014 and 2015 major releases, so hopefully it won't be too long. Of course Toady keeps putting out bugfixes so they gotta re-map for those, but again the data structures tend to not change much at all in a bugfix release so it should be relatively easy to relocate the stuff (after it's been found the first time).

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 6, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah I had a fortress built around a large central shaft and it did surprisingly well, I made the floor out of featherwood. The only downside was that I also made it the central meeting/dining hall, so the other half of the time my dwarves would land on other dwarves.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've never had a problem with dwarves falling off my ocean forts unless monsters were involved. In that case, terrified peasants would sometimes dodge over the sides of the fort into the ocean. Meanwhile military dwarves would dive into the water to try and kill anything swimming in it, even if they didn't know how to swim themselves.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
So, since there's apparently a bug where your military refuses to wear armor, any advice on how to deal with a massive horde of undead? Going to just build a lot of traps, but ugh, wish I could cheat them away.

Also going to disable invasions until said bug is fixed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Sky Shadowing posted:

So, since there's apparently a bug where your military refuses to wear armor, any advice on how to deal with a massive horde of undead? Going to just build a lot of traps, but ugh, wish I could cheat them away.

Pits, bridges, levers? Bonus points for working on reanimated fortress dwarves, unlike regular traps.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I feel like formal school zones wouldn't be that hard to implement right now for toady considering most of the stuff is there for it already.
Does anyone have any ideas about any other easy zone types that would be pretty easy to do now?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

I feel like formal school zones wouldn't be that hard to implement right now for toady considering most of the stuff is there for it already.
Does anyone have any ideas about any other easy zone types that would be pretty easy to do now?

People still occasionally snack in my library lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

Gladiatorial arenas? You could collect a variety of creatures and enemies in traps and le them out to entertain the masses. I mean you can already do that more or less but make it so that all units in the arena are hostile to all other units, regardless of other loyalties, and make dwarfs watching get a happiness boost. And slave rebellions, that would be cool.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
So my first game with out crashes I had a elf show up at the fort. Turns out its a werekangaroo, and it proceeded to kill two dorfs and injured a third. I didn't think much of it, then the injured dorf turned into a werekangaroo while in the doing room. I didn't have a military so i just let things play out. It ripped apart one dorf and injured at least eight more. I think you can imagine what happened in the hospital later when two of the injured dorfs suddenly transformed into werekanagroos.

I decided to leave that fort in a save and try a new one.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 6, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Werecreatures are astonishingly good at killing my forts and probably my greatest bane aside from loving up and forgetting something vital like a farm or whatever.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ive learned to check the dates of a "full moon" and lock down the hospital after ive dealt with a were. If one of injured dwarves turns I can be better prepared to handle them on my own terms.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I thoroughly check the combat log. Anyone who gets scratched or bitten through their armor is put on cave exploration duty with the way back shut with stone.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Did the floor material affect that, or just the spear?

Mainly the floor, since the cube is dwarf-sized which is far larger than any spear. However the spear's material serves as a multiplier of sorts.

The best way was to use training spears that can't cause fatal injuries on armored dwarves.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Excelzior posted:

I thoroughly check the combat log. Anyone who gets scratched or bitten through their armor is put on cave exploration

I haven't played too much lately. Wouldn't it be easier to check the health screen for any wounds?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Met posted:

I haven't played too much lately. Wouldn't it be easier to check the health screen for any wounds?

Can you see if it was a bite/scratch through there? Or is that the only way Werecreatures attack, even if they are armed?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

reignofevil posted:

People still occasionally snack in my library lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Seems realistic to me.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Are there any compatible tile sets out yet? I can't deal with a fort without DFhack and Therapist, but I'd like to poke around in adventure mode a bit. ASCII is incomprehensible eye cancer to me though.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Met posted:

scratches don't show up (they only hurt the skin), and they could've hurt themselves dodging off a cliff or what not

It's simple enough and I have never missed an infection this way :shrug:

necrotic posted:

Can you see if it was a bite/scratch through there? Or is that the only way Werecreatures attack, even if they are armed?

I don't remember were-creatures ever being armed, but biting/scratches are the only way they can spread their curse.

e: wait, is it just bites? I might've sent so many innocent dwarves to their giant-spidery doom :ohdear:

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 6, 2015

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Zereth posted:

Seems realistic to me.

Maybe if it were the scholars but they are usually too busy pondering to want to eat in the library.

Carpenters? Those dicks will get crumbs all over your zone however. Don't know nothin' bout nothin' that comes from trees that they didn't chop out of them with those axes either.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Tenebrais posted:

Well well, much is explained. Although I always had built falling traps with rough stone floors I had never considered this obvious aspect of falling that any normal person would have realized immediately :psydwarf:

Next time I get around to this I'll try lead blocks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a good explanation of the GAIT system anywhere, and more specifically creating your own gaits for use by creatures? I don't understand how the game uses it since it applies a creature variation to basically everything and I have no idea what it means by the ARG stuff.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

ARG stands for argument, and pulls the numbered argument from the list. So the leopard gecko man has [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:711:521:293:1900:2900] 30 kph. The "walk" gait (found in the c_variation_default) pulls ARG1, which is 900, and the "sprint" gait pulls ARG4, 293, so clearly smaller numbers are faster. The "kph" number at the end of every kind of gait lists Toady's take on the top speed, so apparently 293 maps to 30 kph. For making gaits for modded creatures I just pick something already in the game that matches my conception of how fast something moves and copy its gaits over.

e: the wiki's bits on the gait token and its page on gaits seem to have it covered.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 7, 2015

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

It rose like a phallus; Urist wept.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

Are there any compatible tile sets out yet? I can't deal with a fort without DFhack and Therapist, but I'd like to poke around in adventure mode a bit. ASCII is incomprehensible eye cancer to me though.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11309

Lazy Newb Pack has a version out for 42.02, most of the tools don't work yet but it can install tilesets.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

So has anyone else noticed how non-dwarf visitors to your fort always show up near-to-completely naked? Or is this just on my end?

Edit: Looking at the thoughts of the ones who are long-term visitors, they seem to universally not give a poo poo (As in, they all either feel "nothing" or "ambivalent" about being uncovered). To be fair though, that might be because they're intoxicated.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 7, 2015

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

VerdantSquire posted:

So has anyone else noticed how non-dwarf visitors to your fort always show up near-to-completely naked? Or is this just on my end?

Edit: Looking at the thoughts of the ones who are long-term visitors, they seem to universally not give a poo poo (As in, they all either feel "nothing" or "ambivalent" about being uncovered). To be fair though, that might be because they're intoxicated.

Really puts a different light on the astronomer who came to ponder the brightness of the moon.

E: My visitors are all clothed. But one was carrying this gem:

The Mystery of the Human posted:

This is a giant otter parchment scroll. The rollers are made from kaolinite. Written on the item is an essay entitled The Mystery of the Human, authored by Ona Stoodrise. It concerns the apprenticeship of the human Nimu Deerspray under the human Ona Stoodrise in the midwinter of 125. Overall, the prose is passable.

:smugwizard:: Met a dude named Deerpiss. What the gently caress.

So Math fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Some sequence of conquests got me the option to start as a dwarven peasant living in an elven cave. He has no beard and loves nature. As I wander around the cave, I can tell which dwarves must've been raised in the mountains and conquered and which are "elven" by saying how great nature is. If they call me an idiot, they're clearly mountain born.
There's also a bunch of chill giant rats sitting around.

Being raised by elves has obviously unhinged this guy's brain.