Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Astroniomix posted:

I'm going to try this even though it runs counter to everything I know about both the FAS and cannons.

If it sucks I'm blaming you.

Normal cannon rules apply, they're sub-1km weapons and the closer the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I turned in 20 pages of exploration data but forgot to sign up for the community goal first :suicide:

Dumb question, but how do you sign up? I've never done it before so I'm not sure what I need to do.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

So is a battering ram, so everything works out fine!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
Anyone know where I can find a combat zone with an Empire faction dishing out missions?

http://infolimpet.tk/ is dead, http://elitetracker.stimmed.de/ is lies, the in-game Galnet news is even worse lies.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Paramemetic posted:

That's kind of my point, I run cannons on the FAS now, but I use fixed cannons because if you're going to be at point blank you might as well get the extra damage. Also again, the firing arc on the medium hardpoints sucks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

Dumb question, but how do you sign up? I've never done it before so I'm not sure what I need to do.

-Go to the station the CG is running from
-Go to the bulletin board: The CG will be visible above all other missions

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Libluini posted:

Also, if you sign up then turn them in normally, don't freak out if it doesn't show up until you exit star port services and restart it. At least that's what happened to me.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Libluini posted:

Cool, thanks. Time to wander the universe and podcast a lot.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Just got fined for carrying illegal goods but the payout for delivering the cargo and completing the mission was 20x the fine. Seems like they should increase their fines if they're so worried about smuggling

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

tofes posted:

Just got fined for carrying illegal goods but the payout for delivering the cargo and completing the mission was 20x the fine. Seems like they should increase their fines if they're so worried about smuggling

nah

they are changing it to "don't get scanned" for most smuggling missions in 1.5

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

nah

Which means 'gotta go fast' is the new smuggling meta which means you should get yourself one of these as it is the fastest ship in the game with a shield. Never not boost.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

nah

Is there a good way to do these missions? As a beginner, my strategy so far has been to throttle up, boost toward the station, and then enter the mailslot at terminal velocity to avoid scans. That's usually followed by ricocheting around the inside until I can slow down to land.

Edit: ^^^^^^ So I guess I was doing it right?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

tofes posted:

Today I learned you lose unclaimed bounties when your ship gets blown up

I had a 250k bounty from like the summer, and decided to grief in eravate ramming new folks to death in the station in my american flag viper. Forgot about the bounty and got blown up :(

Question: can you still make lots of money fast doing RES sites or combat zones or whatever if you have the powerplay faction bonus thing, or did the nerf to power plant kills poo poo that up?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

If you get interdicted is there any way to avoid getting scanned?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Boost away?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Chaff.

Maybe? :iiam:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

This usually works but as always it's not 100% because sometimes another dude pops up, gets in your way so you get slowed down by the collision and both try to scan you afterwards.

Bonus points if this happens on a station with a pirate on your butt because there's no way you're not getting scanned then.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I tried that earlier, wasn't fast enough. Maybe I need to apply more power to my engines

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

nah

Which is a fine idea...as long as they fix the cheating NPC system security that interdict you (fair enough), and then you submit, boost out of scan range, and then supercruise onwards after 10 secs...only to have the fuckers be back on your arse 5 seconds later for another interdiction.

They need to suffer the 40 sec penalty for initiating an interdiction same as you would.

Or better still, make the escape interdiction mini-game based on something other than pure luck.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Chaff only works on players. NPC chaff will disrupt your scans however.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
So, I'm messing around in the beta and take my Corvette planetside near a canyon. Suddenly, my SRV takes a tumble down a mulitple-km canyon wall; liberal boosting minimizes the lithobraking effect, but the walls are too steep to climb back out. And the Corvette, being the huge compensator that it is, can't find a suitable landing site at the bottom of my new ravine home.
It's times like that I'm glad that :suicide: in an SRV is free and returns you to your ship, just one buggy light.
Also, if you're going to play near canyons, make sure you set out from a fighter.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Royal W posted:

So, I'm messing around in the beta and take my Corvette planetside near a canyon. Suddenly, my SRV takes a tumble down a mulitple-km canyon wall; liberal boosting minimizes the lithobraking effect, but the walls are too steep to climb back out. And the Corvette, being the huge compensator that it is, can't find a suitable landing site at the bottom of my new ravine home.
It's times like that I'm glad that :suicide: in an SRV is free and returns you to your ship, just one buggy light.
Also, if you're going to play near canyons, make sure you set out from a fighter.

Planetary landings are defiantly the domain of the small ships. While everything is able to carry an SRV and land on stuff, the big ships have a hell of a time trying to find a spot flat enough to set down on.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Counterpoint: They look a lot cooler on the ground.

Then again so does every other ship.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

xiansi posted:

Robigo still works...as long as you have allied with the factions there, which is very easy with donations. Helps to be a Tycoon trader though (which kind of defeats the point), and you still need to use the log out & switch mode trick to refresh missions. Having private groups to cycle between helps too.

Has made me enough money for a Cutter anyway, and am 75% of the way to Elite trade rank.

It is very, very good, if you can work around lovely shields. Weird hardpoint placement too, but nothing terribly bad, just have to get used to a class 3 on the bottom.

And much less boring than the vulture - you have 2 extra medium slots to put interesting things in.

And *way* more power to play with - this is a boring A-grade combat loadout (lose the armour for a slightly saner price):

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/26A6A5A5D6A4D4C1e1e2727000404044a5j2b59276b.Iw18cQ==.Aw18cQ==

That doesn't even hit 100% with everything running, it's just asking for rails or plasmas.
Holy poo poo those armour costs.

I don't like being a space poor guys. :smith:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

Holy poo poo those armour costs.

I don't like being a space poor guys. :smith:

Work won't let me open the page. What's the total cost of that fit?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

88 million.

That's barely space middle class!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Space Skeleton posted:

Everyone fox for the "fix" option in this poll: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=207962

Even if you do not know what this is about go vote that way. Trust me.

quote:

Michael Brookes
Executive Producer
Frontier Employee

There will be a change in the next build that means that if a POI can be detected from a ship then it will be visible from the ship - assuming it is close enough.
Looks like this worked, thank god.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's sensible, I'm mollified.

I didn't want to go all "my immersion!", but gently caress me... my immersion!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Sheep posted:

Looks like this worked, thank god.
I would hope that this was always planned and the "working as intended" from customer support came with an implied "for the current build", though complaining about it won't have hurt.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

88 million.

Barely, pfft. drat Romney's..

88 million is about what it costs to fit a good FDL as well, though we'll see how high that jumps with the power plant upgrade that's coming with horizons. Should place it around 92-95 million then. I just wish it had more internal slots. Being set up to farm fed rep through pirate missions, with a FSD Interdictor and Advanced scanner on board I only have room for one SCB. No room for hull upgrades or anything else.

That next fed rank can't come fast enough.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
So like many of my 'Space Friends' I am keen to make some space-monies in anticipation of all the cool stuff coming out. I currently have an iClipper but not sure how it is set up. Is it suitable for the Robigo run? Can anyone suggest a fitting for said run?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Emnity posted:

So like many of my 'Space Friends' I am keen to make some space-monies in anticipation of all the cool stuff coming out. I currently have an iClipper but not sure how it is set up. Is it suitable for the Robigo run? Can anyone suggest a fitting for said run?

It is not suitable for Robigo at all, no.

The reason for that is because most robigo missions terminate at an outpost.

Sell the modules off, store the ship, fit out an Asp for 80+ cargo and a good jump range/fuel scoop and go do Robigo.

If you really want to sperg, take some notes from the guys who spend an hour rolling the bulletin board so that they can stack all missions at a small number (4-7) stations to really turn down the turn-in time once you leave Robigo (Otherwise, taking all missions worth at least 800k, you're looking at 10-15 drop off points).

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

tooterfish posted:

88 million.

I did say I'm a space poor, my Vulture almost broke the bank. I might play around with an FDL if the costs are about the same, although I have no idea how that thing handles other than looking cool.

If anything, I need to sit down and learn to play this game rather than just bumbling my way and guessing things.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The main reason is Robigo itself only has an outpost. Pretty dinky one at that, only four docking slots (two of which are small IIRC).

Takurua does have an Coriolis Orbis if you want to try your luck there though. It's still not a good idea, as like LCL says you get sent to lots of outposts anyway.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I was able to make enough money in 2 runs in a Cobra to get myself an Asp. One run in that got me another 25m.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

The main reason is Robigo itself only has an outpost. Pretty dinky one at that, only four docking slots (two of which are small IIRC).

Takurua does has a Coriolis Orbis if you want to try your luck there though. It's still not a good idea, as like LCL says you get sent to lots of outposts anyway.

I totally forgot that Robigo itself was an outpost.

Flipswitch posted:

I did say I'm a space poor, my Vulture almost broke the bank. I might play around with an FDL if the costs are about the same, although I have no idea how that thing handles other than looking cool.

If anything, I need to sit down and learn to play this game rather than just bumbling my way and guessing things.

The FDL is the cheaper of the "high end" ships out there. You'll just have to give it a shot to see if you like it. The jump range is deplorable (13.8ly w/ a pve fit), there's no room for cargo and you sacrifice those 2 big purrdy C3 hardpoints on the Vulture for 4 C2 (medium) hardpoints and one big fuckoff hardpoint (That you don't even really have enough power to run the giant electric space penis on).

That being said, she handles like a Vulture, which is saying a lot for the larger/more expensive ships.

With the iClipper and Python you're looking at upwards of 120 million to really fit them out well for PvE/PvP. With the FAS and FDL, from what I've seen of conversations here, you're only looking into the high 80's or mid 90 million mark to fit them out for what you need.

The Clipper also handles very well for her size while the Python jumps securely into the land whale category of speed. However, the Python makes up for it's lack of speed by having one more C3 hardpoint than the clipper. I think I've also seen it referred to as the PvP ship if you tank it properly. I could be wrong though. Our goon and savior Space Texas has demolished more people in a clipper than Ron Jeremy has women.

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 7, 2015

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there a reliable way to see if there is an Adder for sale in a system near me?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

me and a friend are looking to go space huntin together. is there any way to grab the same jobs or share them when in a wing. just prowlin' around unidentified signal sources for bounties worked for me solo, so that's the only thing I can think of right now.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zmej posted:

me and a friend are looking to go space huntin together. is there any way to grab the same jobs or share them when in a wing. just prowlin' around unidentified signal sources for bounties worked for me solo, so that's the only thing I can think of right now.

1: Don't prowl around USS' for bounties. Go to a Resource Extraction Site and burn down the dudes shooting the miners, or anyone who comes up as "Wanted".

2: I don't think you can "share" missions per say, but I do believe that if you have a mission to go kill X pirates, his kills will help your own. You should also both be receiving a divided portion of the pirate bounty upon their ship destruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Spaseman posted:

Is there a reliable way to see if there is an Adder for sale in a system near me?

http://ed-td.space/en/18/Find+Ship helps me find ships.

• Locked thread