Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

jiffypop45 posted:

My friend lists this as his favorite anime, so since I've had him watch Madoka (and cosplay Charlotte/Bebe) it's really only fair that I watch his. I'm absolutely a sub guy, the only dub I've watched on purpose is Cowboy Bebop as it's arguably the greatest dub in anime. However, I'm told that the Code Geass dub is up there with that, my question is, would I be missing anything due to localization or content changes, and what's the general consensus on the quality of the dub over the sub?

Im not a sub vs dub purist but whoever voices lelouche in the sub hams it up in such a hilarious fabulous way that the dude who did the voice of vash from trigun cant really compete with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So did Lelouche die or not?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

Yes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

It's been over a decade. He dead.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
I kind of enjoy not having the closure of whether he died or not.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lelouch as we knew him is certainly dead, and that's the greater point.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Lelouch is the cart driver

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I suppose it is worth posting this here too.

Here is the official trailer for Akito the Exiled 5, the final chapter that will be in Japanese theaters this February:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0LJUhHdU9o

It's full of spoilers for...pretty much everything that has already happened and what is likely to happen.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
So I just watched the first Akito the Exiled and I'm not really feeling it. I can't tell if it was just much less interesting than the original series or if it's just as good but I'm not interested in Code Geass anymore. Considering it took me this long to get around to it, the latter is very likely but I want to give it a fair shot. I think I'll try to watch at least one more and see if I change my mind.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean it's 4 episodes with a final one coming soon, you might as well watch them all.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

We're less than two days away from Japanese people going to watch the last episode in theaters. Spoilers will come soon but no English subs yet.

Xinder posted:

So I just watched the first Akito the Exiled and I'm not really feeling it. I can't tell if it was just much less interesting than the original series or if it's just as good but I'm not interested in Code Geass anymore. Considering it took me this long to get around to it, the latter is very likely but I want to give it a fair shot. I think I'll try to watch at least one more and see if I change my mind.

Not too surprising, since opinions about Akito the Exiled tend to vary. I think it's interesting but for different reasons. There's more of an emphasis on establishing a sense of mood and atmosphere, for instance, especially in the first OVA, rather than moving the narrative forward at a quick pace. If that doesn't work for you, it might come across as boring. Kazuki Akane, the new director (made famous for Escaflowne but also responsible for Noein and Birdy the Mighty Decode) isn't against the use of theatricality and over-the-top situations, of course not, but he can also be very deliberate about how his shows start.

So the fact is the new team behind this OVA series aren't trying to come in and replicate the original TV series. It's an expansion, not a sequel or remake.

From an interview with Kazuki Akane:

quote:

"When Producer Kawaguchi first approached me, I don’t think he wanted me to just carry on in the same direction as Director Taniguchi and Okouchi-san; rather, I think he meant for me to look at their work and then create my own axis based on my visceral reaction."

Then the guy basically says his preferred aspects of Code Geass included the "what if" nature of the setting, which ties into how the European Union's alternate history is being portrayed here, as well as the idea of a world without Japan as a free nation. Hence the presence of the Japanese refugees and so on, which was never addressed during the original story but would probably be a part of that kind of world.

How much you will enjoy Akito the Exiled depends on what exactly do you want to see, or at least benefits from opening your mindset to a different set of priorities. Such as the awesome robot battles, which are absolutely a highlight this time around. That said, there are a few elements in episode 3 which will feel closer to the original show, as something of a bonus for the existing fans, but they aren't dominant. Having said that, the last episode sure looks like it could get pretty crazy though.

If you want something that feels a little closer to the original show, someone is finally translating the Oz the Reflection manga into English.

wielder fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 5, 2016

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
That makes a lot of sense, but again I'm not even sure I still like the original Code Geass, having not watched it since it finished airing. My issues with Akito so far are the lack of interesting characters. The trio of Elevens at the end might end up being pretty fun, but other than them I have trouble thinking of anyone I'd want to see more of. The protagonist in particular feels very nothing personality-wise.

I'll keep watching, but I hope for more enjoyable characters.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Xinder posted:

That makes a lot of sense, but again I'm not even sure I still like the original Code Geass, having not watched it since it finished airing. My issues with Akito so far are the lack of interesting characters. The trio of Elevens at the end might end up being pretty fun, but other than them I have trouble thinking of anyone I'd want to see more of. The protagonist in particular feels very nothing personality-wise.

I'll keep watching, but I hope for more enjoyable characters.

That can be a factor, depending on how you've grown as a viewer. Suffice to say I've changed my mind about certain details, but still really enjoy the show.

I'd put it this way: Akito the Exiled isn't a story centered around the POV of our titular character, so the narrative is also structurally different. This isn't Lelouch on a quest for revenge or rebellion, but more about the survival of a small military unit. It might be odd to talk about "subtlety" and "Code Geass" in the same sentence, but I think that's true in the case of the OVA series: there's a lot of little nuances sprinkled throughout otherwise pretty typical scenes. I can dig those sorts of details, but you might not, since the broad strokes aren't too special.

Akito himself doesn't have a very engaging personality. In fact, he's rather psychologically screwed up. I think that's interesting as a source of mystery and in the sense it creates a couple of dynamics with other characters, but he doesn't have a ton of charisma. Leila might be the most sympathetic, in my opinion, because for me her transparent idealism is balanced by her actually assuming responsibilities. Having said that, I'd say Akito 3 does a decent job humanizing the trio of Elevens. I also think Klaus is a pretty cool dude and ostensibly underrated, but that's only after he gets some good scenes later on.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finally got around to episode 4 of Akito today. It was pretty fun.

It took me longer than it probably should of to accept that this just wasn't going to be R1 or R2 again, but it's kind of clicked with me, finally. I look forward to being able to see the final episode now.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Okay I caught up now. It's pretty good, but I find the characters and plot to have not improved much at all. The fight scenes however are top notch, and I love the music too.

I'll watch the last one, but I'm not gonna recommend this to anyone.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think there's enough in Akito that anyone who likes Geass should watch it

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

So how much of this show exists now? I watched the first two seasons a while ago and dug them then they did a bunch of weird (and mostly pretty bad I'm told) side story nonsense. Apparently this new 1.5 mini series thing is worth checking out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Singing Chav posted:

So how much of this show exists now? I watched the first two seasons a while ago and dug them then they did a bunch of weird (and mostly pretty bad I'm told) side story nonsense. Apparently this new 1.5 mini series thing is worth checking out.

The only things relevant to the main show are Code Geass, Code Geass R2 (the second season) and Akito, which is a sidestory set between the two. Everything else is an alternate-universe retelling of the story.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There is actually a fuckton of side stuff in the canon timeline, lots of shorts and text stuff, and technically Renya is also in the mainline timeline.

These are for insane people like me, avoid them (unless you read Nightmare and like it, then maybe give Renya a shot).

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

It would be prudent to assume Sunrise only counts the TV series (50 episodes) and the Akito OVA (5 episodes) as the so-called "canon" for now.

That said, Oz the Reflection is arguably looking like one of the better manga spin-offs. Which isn't exactly hard, since most of them are either fluff or weird alternate scenarios. There are cool robots (Lancelot Grail is pretty kickass), more theatrical posturing, Britannians who aren't terrible people, and it does visibly take place in the same universe, including a few secondary or tertiary players from the TV series. In short, Oz is literally Code Geass Astray. I'm glad there's a translation for it now.

I wouldn't recommend Renya though. It's too far removed from everything. Just another magical JRPG / martial arts adventure; a very typical "hero's journey" with a different coat of paint.

----

In other news...the fifth and last episode of Akito was indeed rather wild. Maybe a little compressed and anti-climatic in terms of the overarching story, since it lacked Gundam Unicorn 7's extended running time. They explained some past events, but there was a questionable reliance on supernatural elements and not every question was answered. Still, the combat continued to be great and I liked a few character scenes as well. Better directed than scripted (though the director, Kazuki Akane, was also credited as a co-writer) would be a good summary. Not going to spoil everything until subs are out, but man...that was some Noein and/or Birdy the Mighty Decode S2 levels of mystical problem-solving.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm reading Oz and oh my god IGPX exists in the Geass universe what the gently caress

e: this is like the Geass equivalent of Rune Soldier Louie

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 5, 2016

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

Nope, he is banging that sweet sweet C2 rear end on some island

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

to think that there are yet barbarians that prefer C.C. to Kallen

well at least Creayus' dedication is impressive, so they are not all bad

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Rodyle posted:

to think that there are yet barbarians that prefer C.C. to Kallen

well at least Creayus' dedication is impressive, so they are not all bad

Kallen is probably best girl from the show, but not being a slave to that booty C2 had is a crime.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rodyle posted:

I'm reading Oz and oh my god IGPX exists in the Geass universe what the gently caress

e: this is like the Geass equivalent of Rune Soldier Louie

I think that's a nice idea. If you have tons of robots in Britannia, why not use a few of them for civilian entertainment too? (Plus, FWIW, I'd watch the G Gundam/GBF equivalent of Code Geass).

Never saw Rune Soldier Louie myself, but it seems people found that fun. Except for the lack of a continuing plot, which Oz (like the original show) does provide along with the lighthearted antics.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=800435

:derp:

e: props to those Brit infantry taking down that knightmare and spraying the cockpit those guys have initiative

e: the back half of this episode contains some of, including possibly THE, most ridiculous sequences in the whole of Geass

e: Oh hey, I was right about a Rolo appearance

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 8, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I quite liked the last episode. Action was great and while I didn't expect some of the more surreal stuff in the second half I thought it was neat.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I finished s1. Dragged a little at the start but it really caught my interest towards the end. How does s2 compare? Is it a "I can't believe you're watching some sort of lovely yaoi anime instead of watching this show" or a "eh. Get to it when you can" I need new paste on my htpc so it's a small financial investment to continue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jiffypop45 posted:

I finished s1. Dragged a little at the start but it really caught my interest towards the end. How does s2 compare? Is it a "I can't believe you're watching some sort of lovely yaoi anime instead of watching this show" or a "eh. Get to it when you can" I need new paste on my htpc so it's a small financial investment to continue.

R2 is worse than the first season in almost every single way.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Season 2 has a strong finish but there's a good chunk of the show that drags in such a way that makes it come across like they're focusing on buying time while setting up the final arc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

This is true. That said, I don't think it makes R2 a waste of time. I find R2 to be really entertaining simply because it's one of those shows that you're not entirely sure how it's going to top its ridiculousness next. Some of the most memorably silly things in Geass are from R2.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Srice posted:

Season 2 has a strong finish but there's a good chunk of the show that drags in such a way that makes it come across like they're focusing on buying time while setting up the final arc.

Season 2 had a pretty good first episode (or two?) but the long slog through the middle of the season got too boring and I gave up, since I started to get pretty busy around then anyway. I remember some vague rumour that the direction changed to make things more palatable for the series making it into the Super Robot Wars games and I guess I'd probably believe it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

jiffypop45 posted:

You know how Death Note really dragged after L died? That's Code Geass R2

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

R2 is definitely the weaker half of Code Geass, to be sure, with a fair number of issues. Some dumb ideas enter the mix and they tend to drag things down, especially around the middle of the series. I think that's a totally fair criticism to make. That said, there's plenty of hyperbole about it which questionably asserts every single sequence is equally bad. Nah, the show's still got some good moments sprinkled throughout and Lelouch remains an above average protagonist. So the overall quality is less consistent, true, but even the sheer craziness of various events usually remains entertaining to watch.

That said, I also think it's a lot easier to accept the gist of what happens in R2 in retrospect, once you can understand the method to the madness, rather than just going through the motions on a weekly basis. There's a few late developments that seem particularly confusing (to put it lightly) until the viewer can step back and look at the big picture.

Luceid posted:

Season 2 had a pretty good first episode (or two?) but the long slog through the middle of the season got too boring and I gave up, since I started to get pretty busy around then anyway. I remember some vague rumour that the direction changed to make things more palatable for the series making it into the Super Robot Wars games and I guess I'd probably believe it.

There's some obvious redundancy in the early episodes of R2, including a time skip that was added to serve purely introductory purposes. That definitely hurts the pacing later on. But the intended ending remains the same, so it's really the specifics of the road towards it that were altered. I don't think they were consciously thinking about Super Robot Wars at the time, rather than simply trying to become more "Gundam-like" in terms of technology, since it was now ostensibly sharing the same timeslot as Sunrise's flagship property. The result was, more often than not, a bunch of less exciting battles. But they eventually overcame that with a very good "back-to-basics" final duel.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Covok posted:

I probably wouldn't bother with a spoiler for a 10-year-old shounen, but if you want a spoiler to be useful you have to let folks know what it's for.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

At least things happen. But yeah, I felt that way first time watching. Second time was more enjoyable.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

It is for this reason that anyone who watches S1 should watch S2.

One episode a week.

Savor it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Covok posted:

I'm not sure this needs spoiler tags in tyool 2016

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
R2 isn't that bad. It's just very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

R2 is pretty bad, which is why it's extremely watchable.