Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude
As I sit here after every single episode this season asking myself "What the gently caress is going on?"... Every single time... I don't care what's going on. Because it is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Admoon posted:

Between "MOTHERFUCKER!" and "Nope" I don't know which one made me laugh more :v:

Seriously.

The episode was incredible, and dramatic, and fantastic. But gently caress me if I didn't BURST out laughing at, "...nope."

nopants
May 29, 2004
This show affected me quite a bit. What a wonderful show.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

smashtcrusht posted:

As I sit here after every single episode this season asking myself "What the gently caress is going on?"... Every single time... I don't care what's going on. Because it is incredible.

The TV IV > The Leftovers Season 2 - I don't care what's going on. Because it is incredible.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So I guess either the supernatural explanation is true...

or the white flash before him waking up in the tub is a massive blast and everyone is dead (which, in a way, also means the supernatural explanation is true).

Edit: and apparently there is an event tomorrow in front of the HBO office in NY where people will dress in white and chain smoke so the show gets renewed. Though to be honest, I'd be ok if this was the end. Nothing can top this. I feel like I should rereg and revote on TVIV's poll just to make sure people don't miss this season.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 7, 2015

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It was a brilliant ending whether we get another season or not. Kevin reclaimed his identity as a police officer in the afterlife and in the (possibly) real world, when he picked up the nightstick. If there's a Season 3, Jarden could certainly use a new law man so they could go that way.

On the other hand, this season was so jaw-droppingly good I almost don't want there to be a season 3. This run was just so good, I almost want him to quit while he's ahead and let this hang in TV history just as it is.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So what did Kevin lose when he killed Patty? I remember them making a big deal about how he would lose some part of himself if he did it but that didn't seem to manifest in his character in the last few episodes unless I'm missing something.

nopants
May 29, 2004
If next season is going to be as good as season two then full stream ahead. I really didn't think that much of season one. It'll be hard to live up to the standard set by this season.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

This was the worst episode of the season.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Do what needs to be done.

http://www.hbo.com/about/contact-us.html

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Verisimilidude posted:

So what did Kevin lose when he killed Patty? I remember them making a big deal about how he would lose some part of himself if he did it but that didn't seem to manifest in his character in the last few episodes unless I'm missing something.

He lost Patty

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
They wanted Kevin to sing Like a Prayer, but Madonna refused:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/damon-lindelof-on-the-leftovers-im-fighting-for-the-life-of-the-show

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So Kevin got back to his cave, and instead of his family being missing like the cavewoman his family is all there for him.

I think if there is a season maybe the Murphy family becomes main characters? Kevin's story feels pretty complete.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

I liked this episode and season a wholllle lot, but yeah, that ending felt way too happy (in, like, an "everything is awful but right now not for Kevin Garvey Specifically" way) for there to be a 3rd season. But I'd still be excited if there turns out to be one.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

And his dog.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

onefish posted:

I liked this episode and season a wholllle lot, but yeah, that ending felt way too happy (in, like, an "everything is awful but right now not for Kevin Garvey Specifically" way) for there to be a 3rd season. But I'd still be excited if there turns out to be one.

I liked Season 1 and I was happy that it got renewed and all but with the book material gone, I just wasn't sure where they were going with it. I didn't even watch the Season 2 trailer for a while because I wasn't really that excited about it. Then they did this. I don't know where go from here, but if this cast and crew want to take us there I'll be ready to follow. poo poo, even if gets weird or bad, we'll always have this season as it is. I can't wait to see what's next.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

onefish posted:

I think if they stick with the POV structure of this season it should be too hard to shift the focus from Kevin (which is kind of what they did for the first half of this season). I could use a lot more Nora going forward.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Dog was like, f-this I'm not going into crazy town and took off across the bridge. Loved the episode, loved the season.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm glad Garbey finally realized he loved his family. He spent two seasons thinking about running away. It was a nice reminder after all the sadness, there can be happiness.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm really hoping that there'll be more. If they were able to come up with this after the book ended, I have faith that they'll continue doing great work.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I can't imagine how hard it must have been to sing and cry at the same time, was real fuckin good.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Has there ever been a better season of television?

Goddamnit, I'm satisfied.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I still can't believe they ended a season with a definitively happy moment.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

God drat that was good. No clue where they'd go with a third season but I really hope we hear they renew.

Completely stunned at the caliber of season 2.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

First season ended happy too.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Bajaha posted:

God drat that was good. No clue where they'd go with a third season but I really hope we hear they renew.

Completely stunned at the caliber of season 2.

The consistent quality of season 2 is what amazed me. I remember being amazed at individual episodes in season one, but after one or two boring episodes in a row I would question why I am still watching this show. Season two was rock solid episode after episode.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

First season ended happy too.

I mean yeah, I guess you're right. For some reason I guess I thought this was not going to end well. I teared up when Mary woke up.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I liked when Mary woke up too. But thought for sure something awful was going to happen to her during the guilty remnant stunt.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Puppy Galaxy posted:

This was the worst episode of the season.

Agreed but still better than any other episode of any other show this year.

joepinetree posted:

Edit: and apparently there is an event tomorrow in front of the HBO office in NY where people will dress in white and chain smoke so the show gets renewed. Though to be honest, I'd be ok if this was the end. Nothing can top this. I feel like I should rereg and revote on TVIV's poll just to make sure people don't miss this season.

I'd vote in it if it didn't require a list of 10 shows because TVIV is for mentally ill people who actually watched more than 10 shows this year lmao. There have been like 3 or 4 shows worth watching this year, tops.

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 7, 2015

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Theroux, Coon and Eccleston are loving amazing. What a great show. Part of me wants it to end there, part wants it to continue and the entirety of my being is :swoon: over Coon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I agree that this finale felt a bit weak, but I think that's in part due to how happy the ending was. The Leftovers is about pain, misery, catharsis, and we veered off that path toward the end.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That was just about the tightest story. Super dense episode. I got so giddy when they did that water spilling bathtub shot again.

Vilkata
Jun 22, 2004

I loved every bit of that episode. If we get a third season, I can see the Garvey's being more of. supportive cast to the neighbors. Though there is plenty of drama available with GR in town plus Meg's beef with Laurie.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I was hoping for I Would Die 4 U because that song is sexy as all hell.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

fullroundaction posted:

I'm entirely unqualified to say that there has not, but I'm going with it.

This was a perfect thing. There are no levels on which it didn't succeed.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Holy poo poo I never made the connection that the guy playing Virgil was Deep Throat from the X Files. Makes the parking garage scene such a good tribute.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

HOLY loving gently caress THIS SEASON OF THE LEFTOVERS

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
:100emoji:

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Verisimilidude posted:

He lost his dog bro-ness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

fullroundaction posted:

Because I watch an absolute fuckload of television I can say that Boardwalk Empire season 2, Breaking Bad season 3, the final season of SFU (but really that's the series finale, which is almost inarguably the all-time greatest series finale), and Mad Men season 4 all make good arguments

but yeah The Leftovers season 2 is easily within such esteemed company as those

• Locked thread