Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Just finished reading the translation of vol. 2 of Grimgar. This really is :gbsmith: : The Novelization. Now I just hope the anime will be a decent adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Mygna posted:

Just finished reading the translation of vol. 2 of Grimgar. This really is :gbsmith: : The Novelization. Now I just hope the anime will be a decent adaptation.
I still hate Rangar, but the mediocre adventures of the mediocre team is fun.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Finished the entire Chinese version of My Disciple Died Yet Again. It's super good, and I can't wait for you guys to catch up. Reincarnation #3 and #8 are my two favorite arcs for this series, since it really hammers home how typical Xianxia populations are a bag of dicks and asshats. Reincarnation #9 is the most fun though, simply because the whole arc is her trolling people, herself getting trolled by a person that has already ascended into immortality, and everything being a whole big troll because she forgot to visit someone from a couple arcs ago.

Now I'm reading the Chinese version of My Father-in-law is Lu Bu. Quite honestly, if it weren't for the fact that I really enjoy the plot, I'd really hate this series. It's full of poor punctuation that makes reading the whole thing even more difficult; it's already hard from the interruptions by story promotions, no need to make it any harder for me.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

jwang posted:

Now I'm reading the Chinese version of My Father-in-law is Lu Bu. Quite honestly, if it weren't for the fact that I really enjoy the plot, I'd really hate this series. It's full of poor punctuation that makes reading the whole thing even more difficult; it's already hard from the interruptions by story promotions, no need to make it any harder for me.

Sounds like it got the translation it deserved(It's not very good, but I like the story. Well, up until the point where the MC turns into a super saiyan at least).

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Where did Liu Mang turn into a super saiyan? As far as I can tell, it's still in the realm of Wuxia (Dragonball) and not Xianxia (Dragonball Z).

Also, Kumo got updated, and YOU ARE THE D, KUMO-CHAN!

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

jwang posted:

Where did Liu Mang turn into a super saiyan? As far as I can tell, it's still in the realm of Wuxia (Dragonball) and not Xianxia (Dragonball Z).

I knew that was the most likely scenario for Kumo but I wanted it to be something else. Hopefully it's handled well.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It was hinted at as early as chapter 8 and was basically confirmed halfway into the elf village battle.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I am rather curious as to why their personalities are so different, though.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Algid posted:

It was hinted at as early as chapter 8 and was basically confirmed halfway into the elf village battle.

I wanted to believe.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

jwang posted:

He went from a nerdy college student to a master of martial arts in the worlds most condensed training arc ever. I liked it better when he provided contrast to the world not only through why he acts the way he does but also how he goes about things.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

I am rather curious as to why their personalities are so different, though.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the explanation. Even though it's been a long running theory, I trust the author enough to make it interesting.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The LN Version of Kumoko is out next week.
Here's the cover of the first volume:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Tamba posted:

The LN Version of Kumoko is out next week.
Here's the cover of the first volume:

That spider's pretty moe.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I was kind of hoping for a more traditional fantasy look, because for me the more realistic the spider the funnier it is that she acts the way she does. But on the other hand, I really want to see this as an anime some day, so I'm down with marketably cute Kumoko.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

blastron posted:

good thread title imo

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

blastron posted:

Seems to be how most people not getting murdered by Kumoko reacts to be fair.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

Seems to be how most people not getting murdered by Kumoko reacts to be fair.

"Hey that's a pretty cute spid-OH GOD MY FACEGETITOFF!"

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

jwang posted:

It's even better (Kumoko ch 217) Kumoko aktually was a spider that was living in the classroom. D just gave her some fake memories

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tamba posted:

It's even better (Kumoko ch 217) Kumoko aktually was a spider that was living in the classroom. D just gave her some fake memories

Hahahahahahaha oh my gosh I need to pick up where I left off if that's the case. That's pretty much perfect.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Tamba posted:

That is pretty much the best possible reveal. Now I *really* want Kumo to supplant D. Chase your dreams, little spider! You can get there!

As for the LN cover, I wish she was more of a traditional black and red spider, because I honestly think that would be cuter, and would be absolutely fantastic in animated form. You could have so much fun conveying things through spider body language and the usual anime shortcuts of sweat drops, bulging forehead veins, and that kind of blue effect with the lines.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 3, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
My Disciple Died Yet Again is amazing. The latest chapter is :perfect:

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!
Where did you all find Kumo chapter 217? Raising the Dead only has it translated up to 216. Or were you reading it in the original language?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

My Disciple Died Yet Again is amazing. The latest chapter is :perfect:

I cannot emphasize how great My Disciple is. You can either put it on a watch list and wait for it to get translated to around the end of the third major arc (which is the first high point of the story in my opinion), or you can just devour every chapter as it comes. Or, if you can read Chinese to a reasonable degree, go read the original version. The jokes are way better in its original format, since the humor isn't lost in translation.

When you get to the punchline of WHY she was transmigrated to this new world, you'll laugh yourself sick. And no, it isn't because of the reason in this most recent chapter.

Also, reading Father-In-Law Lu Bu, you can safely ignore most of the build-up until around 150. This is when Lu Bu's army gets into the first major conflict where Liu Mang has to show his chops against more than animals and brigands. As for people complaining about how the MC is getting power leveled, it's actually within reason. If you write a Romance of Three Kingdoms story, you have to have the central character be able to fight somewhat. Even Cao Cao, renown for his charisma and finding talents to work for him, is somewhat capable of fighting. His only problem is that most of the time he's going up against absolute monsters like Lu Bu and Guan Yu. Liu Mang, when compared to Cao Cao, is pretty third rate, second rate at best due to his foreknowledge.

jwang fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 3, 2015

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cytokinesis posted:

Where did you all find Kumo chapter 217? Raising the Dead only has it translated up to 216. Or were you reading it in the original language?

I'm reading it in japanese, it just took me until now to catch up with the translations.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

ISSTH 317: Buttsplosions finally explained :stare:

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Good grief, Father-in-law Lu Bu has a shitton of exposition. Also, it's kinda lame that you get introduced to these female characters, then bam, marriage and obscurity. Hopefully they come back later, but I don't have great hopes.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Algid posted:

ISSTH 317: Buttsplosions finally explained :stare:

And done so gloriously too! I love every character in this damned novel. That parrot is just as good as the Meat Jelly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I should have known that vexation's archenemy wouldn't be a decent person.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

parrot and meat jelly have to be two of the strangest and most amusing sidekicks in any xianxia novel period :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

parrot and meat jelly have to be two of the strangest and most amusing sidekicks in any xianxia novel period :allears:

It helps that they are profoundly unimpressed by Meng Hao in general.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

It helps that they are profoundly unimpressed by Meng Hao in general.

Well of course, Meng Hao is just some chump in the grand scheme of things. He's a big fish in a tiny pond, punching slightly above his weight-class to any amphibians that try anything, but still needs to run away from fishermen. I think I lost the Dao somewhere in that metaphor, see if you can find it.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
After the most recent chapter of ISSTH I'm fairly certain I'll never antagonize a parrot ever in my life. Just in case.

Edit: At least the reason for the rear end-splosions is fairly clear now.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 6, 2015

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The cosmology of ISSTH seems super weird. Planets/suns/moons don't work that way :psyduck:

Then I remember that Meng Hao was born both on a planet apparently orbiting a sun and on a world carried by a giant turtle at the same time.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Algid posted:

The cosmology of ISSTH seems super weird. Planets/suns/moons don't work that way :psyduck:

Then I remember that Meng Hao was born both on a planet apparently orbiting a sun and on a world carried by a giant turtle at the same time.

The giant turtle was just the country he was born in, and apparently big enough that you could run at several hundred miles per hour for two weeks straight without sleeping and only get about halfway across it. That country was described as being 1/1000th the size of the country he now resides in (since his homeland told him to go gently caress himself and then swam away) which is itself one of four continents, and as backwards and unimportant as a place can be while still having something resembling civilization.

There was also a giant zombie bird with a wingspan of 300,000 kilometers that spent several weeks flying across that continent after Meng Hao did something stupid and woke it up.

Treating all of the absurd numbers in this series as 100% accurate makes everything 100,000,000 times better.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I was using "world" rather liberally. And yes the numbers in ISSTH are ridiculous, but in a fun way:

Algid posted:

A reminder that Meng Hao went up a 3km tower (in a mortal city), met a zombie-bird with a wing span of 1 light-second, shot out 300m long fire-serpents at people (indoors even), and that's not even getting into how big patriarch Mitch McConnell Reliance is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It isn't very clear how many normal humans are living in this setting because they aren't really relevant at all. Real cultivators don't hang with mortals because there is no advantage to be gained, and mortals mostly just desperately try to avoid offending any cultivators they meet for obvious reasons. Well, there are probably a lot of shitbag low-level cultivators who go to regular towns and live it up like that one dude Meng Hao wrecked at Fatty's family's place. But since those are the people who can't cut it among other cultivators they don't really matter either.

My point is, there could be absolutely enormous civilizations around but they probably won't ever come up.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Long Live Summons! is weird. I dropped it way back when because it was inane and dumb, then picked it back up recently, and it's like I'm reading a completely different story. Still power fantasy as get out, but the last few chapters have been if not good, then very enjoyable.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Lord Fifth in ISSTH truly is the most immoral xianxia sidekick.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Lord Fifth is no mere sidekick, case in point, Meng Hao is still a virgin, but Lord Fifth gets all the birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Father-in-law Lu Bu kicks Lu Bu out of the scenario after around chapter 300 or 400, around that range. Either way, it quickly evolves into Liu Mang kicking rear end and dominating the opposition via superior future knowledge and technology, or somehow ending up playing hanky panky with whoever is going to end up forgotten in his harem. It'd probably read better with a better translator, but dealing with archaic speak and the massive amounts of exposition you run into at times makes it a chore to translate. I know I wouldn't want to try to translate it unless someone pays me.

• Locked thread