Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Boofchicken posted:

She actually just wrote a new one this year, so I guess money is more important than your beliefs.

Edit: Beaten

Yeah it looks like she's still Christian but she's no longer hardcore and has actually distanced herself from Christianity as an organization, while still proclaiming to be true to Jesus.

Which is pretty sensible.

Glad to hear she wrote another, maaaaybe I'll get around to it at some point but probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah it looks like she's still Christian but she's no longer hardcore and has actually distanced herself from Christianity as an organization, while still proclaiming to be true to Jesus.

Which is pretty sensible.

Glad to hear she wrote another, maaaaybe I'll get around to it at some point but probably not.

I'm sure that mainstream Christianity wasn't as thrilled with her Jesus books as she hoped. She only has the one writing style, so I bet people were balking at how often Jesus was described as impossibly willowy and preternaturally gifted.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It was a joke in response to his joke :)

e: I cannot find any adequate stdh tagged "vampire," this is disappointing.

Go to NAR, type vampire, sort through 900 boring "twilight sucks" ones and also a couple about people throwing garlic at each other.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

I feel like they made sure everyone knew it wasn't a real child doing it when they referenced

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

snergle posted:

I feel like they made sure everyone knew it wasn't a real child doing it when they referenced

no no, those are Tomoatos

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

what kid asks for warm milk instead of just milk

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

jodai posted:

Go to NAR, type vampire, sort through 900 boring "twilight sucks" ones and also a couple about people throwing garlic at each other.

Good call.

quote:

Less Twilight, More Daylight, Part 2
Restaurant | Jacksonville, FL, USA | Top

(I have albinism, so I have very pale skin, white hair, and red irises.)
Me: “Hi. What can I get for you?”
Customer: “Are…are you a vampire?”
Me: “Well, my dad is half-vampire.” *laughing*
Customer: “Please, don’t bite me.”
Me: “Ma’am, I’m not going to bite you.”
Customer: “Don’t put any blood in my food either. I don’t want to be a vampire.”
Me: “Ma’am, I’m not going to put blood in your food. I’m not a vampire. We serve regular food here.”
Customer: “Let me speak to your manager.”
(I go and get my manager, and fill him in on what’s going on.)
Customer, to my manager: “Is your vampire waitress going to bite me?”
Manager: “Only if you don’t tip her well.”
(The woman looks completely horrified, but finally ends up ordering and leaving me a 21% tip.)

quote:

It Must Have Been A New Moon
Bookstore | Melbourne, Australia | Uncategorized

(This particular customer is a semi-regular who tends to loiter around the new age and paranormal sections. She has knee-length flowing blonde hair and is fond of hippyish clothing. Tonight, I notice her staring at me from a distance for a few minutes with a subtle, knowing smile.)
Me: “Hello, how are you today? Would you like any help?”
Customer: “Good, quite good. I don’t need any help, but can I just talk to you for a minute?”
Me: “Sure. What would you like to talk about?”
Customer: “You. I just have some questions about you. You work here quite a lot, don’t you? At night. I see you every night I come in.”
Me: “Yes, I do tend to work here Thursday and Friday nights.”
Customer: “I notice cause you’re so pretty. Such long dark hair and pale skin.”
Me: “Umm, thanks.”
Customer: “What’s your name?”
Me: “It’s [my name].”
Customer: “That’s a lovely name. A very old fashioned name. You don’t really hear it anymore.”
(By this point, I’m getting confused as I didn’t think my name was that uncommon. I’m not sure what point she’s trying to make.)
Customer: “What else do you do, other than working here?”
Me: “I’m in my fourth year of uni. My major is Science, but I do some electives in Literature and History.”
Customer: *smiles* “Ahhh. So you’re quite educated, as well.”
Me: “I guess you could say that.”
Customer: “Well, I had better not waste any more of your time. But I just want to tell you that I understand now, and I won’t tell anyone.”
Me: “Ah, ok. About what?”
Customer: “Your secret. That you are one of them. A vampire.”
(The customer leaves while I just stand there confused.)
Coworker: “What’s up?”
Me: “I ****ing hate Twilight…”

quote:

More Daylight, Less Twilight, Part 6
Video Game Store | Scotland, UK | Bizarre, Top

(I’m helping a customer in her early teens.)
Customer: “Hey, I’m trying to find a game for my boyfriend. Could you help me?”
Me: “Yeah, sure. What sort of—”
Customer: “Oh, the guy on this is hot! What’s this like?”
Me: “Oh, that’s the new Castlevania game. Basically, it’s about killing vampires and werewolves.”
Customer: “What!?! Why would anyone buy this?! Vampires and werewolves are cool and hot! You make me sick selling this! Haven’t you ever seen Twilight!? Vampires are like people!” *runs out of the shop with tears in her eyes*
Me: “I feel so sorry for her boyfriend.”

e: they couldn't even keep their sick Twilight burn in the titles straight

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Dec 5, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Why do all these stories all end on a "funny" one liner, is it because everyone thinks they are a comedian or just from watching too many sitcoms or something.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well yes duh.

Everyone hopes deep inside themselves that they are just as funny as their favorite sitcom hero and that one day they'll also move into a wacky flat filled with hilarious people and messy love triangles.

Living the dream.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
How could anyone that stepped foot in a university think that "Science" is an actual major/degree you can get?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Murphy Brownback posted:

How could anyone that stepped foot in a university think that "Science" is an actual major/degree you can get?

Uh its [science], thank you very much.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Murphy Brownback posted:

Have you never played a strategy-game? You don't recruit 'Biologists', you recruit 'Scientists'

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
These people always run out of [location]. That's so strange. Like, no one does that. Wouldn't you assume that someone booking it out of a store was shoplifting?

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Customer: “What!?! Why would anyone buy this?! Vampires and werewolves are cool and hot! You make me sick selling this! Haven’t you ever seen Twilight!? Vampires are like people!”

This sounds like a quote from Tommy Wiseau.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

A Classy Ghost posted:

Jesus christ this is far more funny than it has any right to be.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Humans with albinism usually have blue eyes, so, uh, I guess the main character in that first story actually IS a vampire?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dogfish posted:

Humans with albinism usually have blue eyes, so, uh, I guess the main character in that first story actually IS a vampire?

Uh-uh albino rabbits have pink eyes so obviously so do albino humans. After all the person writing that said they were albino so they'd know. Please don't tell me you're accusing that brave poster of lying about themselves on the internet.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

A Classy Ghost posted:

Customer: “What!?! Why would anyone buy this?! Vampires and werewolves are cool and hot! You make me sick selling this! Haven’t you ever seen Twilight!? Vampires are like people! Oh, hi, Denny."

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
You know how in all the STDH happen things involving homeless people, the homeless guy is always so thankful for the small kindness, and then ends up getting his life together? Today my boss was watching our security cameras, and noticed someone prone on the sidewalk, not moving. So we went out and I shook the guy on his shoulder, and asked "Hey dude, are you ok?" He mumbled something I didn't catch, and I said "We saw you on the security camera, and we just wanted to make sure you're ok? What's the matter, do you need anything?" The guy springs awake and goes "Yeah, the problem is I'm loving exhausted, and you won't let me sleep. I don't need anything! I need some loving respect! Here, take this!" And he dug into his pocket, and tried to give me a dollar. Then he sprung up and wandered off, and we went back to work. And I felt like an rear end in a top hat for the rest of the day.

And then Albert Einstein married my boss.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Domus posted:

You know how in all the STDH happen things involving homeless people, the homeless guy is always so thankful for the small kindness, and then ends up getting his life together? Today my boss was watching our security cameras, and noticed someone prone on the sidewalk, not moving. So we went out and I shook the guy on his shoulder, and asked "Hey dude, are you ok?" He mumbled something I didn't catch, and I said "We saw you on the security camera, and we just wanted to make sure you're ok? What's the matter, do you need anything?" The guy springs awake and goes "Yeah, the problem is I'm loving exhausted, and you won't let me sleep. I don't need anything! I need some loving respect! Here, take this!" And he dug into his pocket, and tried to give me a dollar. Then he sprung up and wandered off, and we went back to work. And I felt like an rear end in a top hat for the rest of the day.

And then Albert Einstein married my boss.

Who was a conservative, religious Marine home from duty overseas?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Samizdata posted:

Who was a conservative, religious Marine home from duty overseas?

The homeless guy WAS the marine.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

jodai posted:

“What!?! Why would anyone buy this?! Vampires and werewolves are cool and hot! You make me sick selling this! Haven’t you ever seen Twilight!? Vampires are like people!"
"Oh, hi, Johnny. I didn't know it was you."
"That's me. Here you go, keep the change. Bye, doggy."
"You're my favorite customer."

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bobby Digital posted:

The homeless guy WAS the marine.

shit_that_regularly_happens.txt

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

sweeperbravo posted:

“What!?! Why would anyone buy this?! Vampires and werewolves are cool and hot! You make me sick selling this! Haven’t you ever seen Twilight!? Vampires are like people!"
"Oh, hi, Johnny. I didn't know it was you."
"That's me. Here you go, keep the change. Bye, doggy."
"You're my favorite customer."

Literally the best 15 seconds of any movie. Ever.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

EZipperelli posted:

Literally the best 15 seconds of any movie. Ever.

It has to fight hard against the whole "Its bullshit, I didn't hit her, its bullshit I did naaat. Oh hai Mark" bit.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

quote:

definitely not the author posted:
(I’m working the register at the local library. We have a program where we help aspiring writers get their names out there by printing previews of the first few chapters of their book for local review before they send it to major publishers. One of said aspiring writers is talking with some people about his book, a long and detailed story with a vampire and werewolf as dual protagonists. Comparisons with Twilight have been drawn by several people, and he calmly explains the (myriad) differences, usually ending with a blunt jab about Twilight being “ploddingly written garbage.”)

Aspiring writer: check

Overdone fantasy meme: check

Stupid female: check

Unfamiliarity with actual terminology: check

Yes, this is superb STDH.

I really like how it's implied that the female reader is 'too dumb to get it'. Those dumb broads, amirite?:smuggo:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
"I'm the cool parent! Look at me, I don't give a poo poo about gender roles!"

Not saying the kid doesn't like Star Wars, but this guy implies that his wife gets mad every time his daughter runs to a toy "meant for boys". Serious question, are there any parents that actually give that much of a poo poo what their kid likes to play with?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yeah pretty much.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
It's a problem if your child always runs to the dark side.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

It's got everything except marriage and Einstein. :allears:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

That's got to be deliberate. But, Peo's Law.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Im still not quite sure what point the person is trying to make in that thing

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

kinmik posted:

Serious question, are there any parents that actually give that much of a poo poo what their kid likes to play with?

I have a couple people on Facebook who do. The thing is they get all indignant and pissy if their daughters pick a pink bicycle or a princess doll ("I will never let her own an American Girl doll/Barbie/Disney princess dress!") and therefore have totally missed the point of the whole "let kids play with what they want" thing

TheKennedys posted:

Is this the first time LITERALLY SHAKING has been applied to the protagonist and not the THOROUGHLY OWNED conservative idiot?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

TheKennedys posted:

Men are a race now? :psyduck:

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

System Metternich posted:

Men are a race now? :psyduck:

Yeah dude, haven't you read The Lord of the Rings?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

It has to fight hard against the whole "Its bullshit, I didn't hit her, its bullshit I did naaat. Oh hai Mark" bit.

You're tearing me apart Josef bugman!!!!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

TheKennedys posted:

Wait can you ever use objective in that sense in English?

Because else the idea of objective, no sorry OBJECTIVE attraction is kinda funny to me.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Fathis Munk posted:

Wait can you ever use objective in that sense in English?

Because else the idea of objective, no sorry OBJECTIVE attraction is kinda funny to me.

No, you can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

People frequently use words to mean the opposite of what they actually mean for hyperbolic emphasis and goons literally poo poo themselves over it.

• Locked thread